Cover Image: The Photographer

The Photographer

This book just wasn't for me. The narrator Delta was untrustworthy and unlikable. I felt like I was getting whiplash reading this book. The storyline was glacially slow in the beginning then the middle was full of forced dialog. The plot was interesting enough, I just wish I had someone to root for. The narrator was also not enjoyable.
I started off listening to this audiobook and honestly, I couldn't stand to listen any longer. Then I received a recommendation for this book again. So I decided to read the book and I loved it! Delta is a psychopath for sure, I loved the storyline but I would have liked to learn more about her past and why she became the way she is.  I thought the 5 years later chapter would have more answers. Still a good read and I would recommend this novel to book clubs. A lot to unpack.
I wanted to like this book based on the plot summary, but unfortunately, I could not get into the story. It was slow, somewhat disjointed, and unbelievable. I struggled to finish even though it's a relatively short book. The ending is too quick and sudden.

I listened to this novel on audio, and I found the narrator monotone and slow.

Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for the  ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan audio for the early listen. I had a very hard time getting into this book. The main character was not likable at all. The narrator, however did a wonderful job narrating the story.
I enjoyed the writing and the characters, but the ending felt a bit abrupt and left a few loose ends. I was expecting a huge AAHHH moment, but it was resolved in a more reserved manner. However, overall an enjoyable read, and the narrator did a wonderful job bringing the story to life.
What a debut novel! Such a disturbing read (or listen in my case) that I seriously couldn't put it down.

As a compulsive thriller reader, I really appreciated the obsession and young family tropes in this novel. It was perfectly creepy, intimate and entertaining, making it a sure 5-star listen for me.

The title character in The Photographer, Delta Dawn, is a taken family photographer in New York City. She loves her job and the job loves her, but then... she is hired to photograph an 1--year-old Natalie's birthday party. That is when she realizes that she wishes she could become part of this family. First she becomes Natalie's babysitter, then becomes closer with the mom, and her last step is to become the surrogate mother for the family's second child. It becomes a dark obsession Dawn will do anything to succeed with.

The plot pulled me in immediately, but I stayed for Delta's narration, which is dark, obsessive and unreliable. She definitely reminded me of Jane Doe and Joe Goldberg. Delusional and unpredictable, this was definitely a huge hit. Moreover, I'd highly recommend the audiobook version - it's gripping, captivating and also very realistic.

*Thank you to the Publisher for a free advance copies of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY:  A dark and rather creepy debut thriller.

BRIEF REVIEW:   Delta Dawn is a "photographer" who lives in Brooklyn.  Her work consists of mostly parties and family events and other special functions for wealthy New Yorkers. She does her job well and has a niche when it comes to capturing the best and eliminating the flaws in her photographs.  However, there is a dark side to Delta Dawn.

When she is hired by the Straub's (Amelia and Fritz) for their daughter Natalie' 11th birthday she soon realizes just how much she wishes their life was her life. The couple are architects and live in a beautiful home, have fancy clothes and a lot social events which keep them busy.  They have an enviable life,  just the kind of life Delta has always longed for.   One day when the Straubs find themselves without a babysitter, Delta offers to help them out by staying with Natalie. Soon she finds other reasons to become a more frequent presence in their lives and, she is doing some pretty bizarre and freaky things behind their backs while they are out of the house as well.  Soon her envy and obsession seem no longer within her control but, she has another idea which may keep her connected to this family long term.

This debut thriller was fast paced, creepy and entertaining in a deranged sort of way. Even though it didn't have any earth shattering twists,  it was one of the stories that I knew I had to finish to see just how crazy things got.  I didn't even mid that I had to suspend belief along the way. The story was like passing a 10-car pileup along the highway, just hard to turn away.

Although I liked the first person narration by the unreliable Delta Dawn, I was less than thrilled with the overall audio performance which was read by the author. The tone seemed wrong and unfortunately took away from my overall enjoyment of this one.

Thanks go to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for allowing me to download this audio at no cost in exchange for my unbiased review.  If you enjoy a crazy, creepy story, you might enjoy the print or eBook.

RATING:  3.5/5

After being hired as a photographer for their child's birthday party Delta starts to place herself into the family dynamics of the Straub family in this twisted thriller by Mary Dixie Carter

After doing photography for the Straubs, Delta starts to offer to help the family with little tasks like babysitting their daughter Natalie. She then starts to becomes friends with the Amelia. When she finds out how she can get closer to the family Delta starts to manipulate everyone involved to get where she needs to be. And will go to some extremes to keep it that way.

This story was a little bit unsettling at times but in the best way. Delta is a woman desperate to be excepted and forms an unhealthy obsession with the Straub family. Her character was so well written in the way she watches and figures out how to manipulate the family. I feel like my brain was screaming red flag constantly when the character would talk about the family.

The story is not deep in a make you think hard way but has a good suspense build up and flow. It reminded me a lot of a story like you in the creepy watcher way.

It's a solid story for a slow build suspense and definitely makes you think about who you let into your home.

I could take it or leave it when it comes to the audiobook. While the narrators voice changes between character well, it can also sound very robotic at times. I wish it had been less monotone at times. This however didn't take away from the story though.
I almost never give a book a bad review, mainly because I don't finish the book if I don't like it. I was given a copy of this book through netGalley so I soldiered on, skipping ahead in some parts. I did not like this book at all. The characters were unlikable and underdeveloped. There was no backstory, and the ending, when I finally got there, was so predictable.
Delta Dawn is a photographer of rich children's birthday parties, so she has an eye for detail, and she shared that detail with us down to the shade of lipstick someone was wearing. I really didn't care! So much minutiae!  Delta was the epitome of an unreliable narrator. She didn't seem to acknowledge things even to herself. I realize she was mentally ill so perhaps this was all part of her illness.
The only character I even remotely like was the child Natalie that Delta ingratiates herself with to live her dream of becoming part of the family. I felt really sorry for her in the end.

The author was also the narrator and I really hate to be critical of her but I found the almost hushed, breathless quality of her voice to be annoying. I thought it made Delta sound very young and immature. The only emotion I saw was when she was reading the part of the mother. Again, this may have been intentional as part of her interpretation of the character. Normally I love audiobooks because they make the characters come to life. However I think maybe I would like this a little better if I had read it instead of listening to it, but I am not going to waste my time.

Forgive me Minotaur Books and Ms Carter, but these opinions are strictly my own. Not ever book is every reader's cup of tea. I wish you success with this and future endeavors.
I liked this story about the photographer, Delta Dawn, and yes, in case you're wondering, I'm still curious as to what that flower she has on, could it be a faded rose from days gone by? The story itself was narrated well and flowed nicely but was very predictable and and a little disappointing. What I thought was missing was how 35 year old Delta got to be the psychopath she turned out to be. She hints at things in her upbringing but I felt that what set her upon this path was too vague. #netgalley #thephotographer
I had the opportunity to listen the audiobook thanks to Netgalley. Although the book was entertaining, It didn't do a whole lot for me. Mary Dixie Carter took Delta to a whole new level of crazy. Even though I didn't enjoy most of the characters, I did like Natalie! I could see the ending coming from a mile away but it was nice to get some closure. Glad I read it but definitely not one of my favorites this year.
Whoa. This psychological thriller is eye-opening, twisted, and manipulative.

Delta is the ultimate manipulator. Sick of being the outsider always looking in, she's taking things to the next level and placing herself front and center in Amelia's place. Babysitting for Natalie is just to get her foot in the door. From there, she's all eyes and ears and she works to wiggle into every aspect of the family life.

Mary Dixie Carter shows the reader that if you aren't watching, aren't guarding, you can easily be manipulated and when your eyes are finally open, it might be too late. It was naturally very thrilling. Kudos to the author for her characters and well written book.

The narrator of this one took the book to a new level. I switched between audio and e-book and found myself leaning toward the narration as her voice did a fabulous job of drawing me in.

Thank you for allowing me to listen and offer my opinions.
Delta’s narration was good.

Amelia’s narration made me want to laugh at times. I found her voice to be very shrill and off putting.

As far as the plot goes I found it to be lackluster. The ending was abrupt. I wanted more for the final showdown so to speak. I can’t recommend this book at all.

Trigger:
Fertility issues
Capturing memories is a photographer’s job. Delta Dawn, named for the country song by the same name, is an expert in not only recording life’s precious moments, but creating them too. Delta is a character that frustrated, angered, and broke my heart all at the same time. Her obsession drives this fast paced twisted tale where perception and reality are not always in sync. Unsettling, disturbing and extremely entertaining describe this debut psychological thriller by Mary Dixie Carter. The narration was perfectly executed by the author. I also enjoyed her interview withJennifer Hillier at the end of the audiobook. I look forward to reading future books by this author.
    Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Audio  for my audiobook.
The Photographer by Mary Dixie Carter is a psychological thriller of obsession taken to the extreme.  Delta Down is a photographer for the families of the wealthy elite. Taking pictures of children's birthday parties and editing the photos to show the perfect familial bliss she is paid to depict.  Then one day she goes to take pictures at the Straub house and things escalate to the next level.  Delta is soon editing herself into the photos and inserting herself into their lives. She has crossed the line from voyeur to stalker behavior. Who is Delta Dawn?  Is that even her real name?  All that the reader knows for sure is that her parents are dead and she grew up at Disneyland.  What is certain is that there are no lengths to which Delta won't go to further her obsession.

I listened to the audio of this book and it was fantastic!  The author narrates it herself and I think that always enriches the listening experience, since no one knows the nuances of the characters as well.  This is a great book for fans of psychological thrillers. It is dark and disturbing and twists and turns and kept me up deep into the night. Certainly one of the top thrillers of the year for me so far and I think it will be hard to beat!
Quick, odd listen! This was very different from anything I’ve ever read. Loved the first person view point - I thought most of the characters were out there!! Makes you realize you never know peoples motives. Loved the narration. Thanks netgalley.
The Photographer by Mary Dixie Carter is a slow burn of a novel. A very slow burn.  Virtually nothing happens in the entire book and the twist at the end isn't really a twist. It's what I completely expected to happen since the main character, Delta Dawn was a complete narcissist.  She was almost as bad as Amelia, the mother of the family she stalked.

I only stuck with the book because I wanted to see if it ended the way I thought it would.  I was tempted to turn it off and forget about it multiple times as I listened.  I don't think I've ever had such a visceral reaction of dislike to a book or it's characters. Not one of them had a redeeming quality, even Natalie, the child.

I also felt that the narration would have been better done by a professional narrator rather than the author. Rather than sounding creepy, she just sounded...bored. Bored with the characters, bored with the story and even at the end, bored with how it ended.  Maybe the book would have been more interesting if she had shown a little enthusiasm or vocal intonation.  This one for me would be a hard pass if I hadn't received a complimentary audio copy of the novel from the author, MacMillan Audio and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.  My advice? Skip it!
Unfortunately, I DNF'ed (did not finish) this book. It felt very creepy and I honestly didn't know if it was going down a pedophile route. The narrator made me uncomfortable.
This was a twisted but enjoyable read. The fact that it is written in 1st person makes it more compelling. We never truly get Delta's back story but she clearly hasn't dealt with her demons and has lost it as a result. I definitely recommend it!
It was an interesting thriller, but I just could not connect with the characters. I know that the point is that the main character is supposed to be disturbing, but I could not find anything likeable about her. And that is totally ok, this one just wasn't my favorite. It reminded me a lot of some Lifetime movies I've seen. I think if you're a fan of thrillers, you'll enjoy this one.