Cover Image: Disability Visibility (Adapted for Young Adults)

Disability Visibility (Adapted for Young Adults)

I read the original version of this book, and it absolutely blew my mind. It is a wonderful anthology with so many perspectives, all urgently important.

This is a great adaptation for younger readers. The selections that were chosen to include in this anthology are absolutely age appropriate, and I hope beyond hope those who read it will pick up the original version, which has even more challenging and gorgeous writing.

This is one of those books that has the potential to expand minds, so adapting it for a younger and more impressionable crowd was a very inspired move.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance peek at this book!
I haven't read the original version, so I'm not sure how it compares ( I think it is the same just a shortened version with less pieces in it?). But, the pieces that they chose to include in this version are great reads. I have a love-hate relationship with anthologies, because a lot of the times some pieces are just way better than others, but this wasn't the case here. This book features all kinds of disabilities from a diverse group and is a necessary book for readers of all ages.

Thank you to netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Thank you to NetGalley and Delacorte Press for sending me a free ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

Disability Visibility (Adapted for Young Adults) is a collection of 17 first-person essays from disabled authors with a vast range of lived experiences. Representation matters so, so much and it’s important to have accessible narratives for every age. Whether or not you can relate to the specific experiences the authors share, you will find something that resonates with you within these pages.

I haven’t read the original version yet (why is it that I always come across the young readers’ version before the original?), so I can’t say if (or how) any of the included essays were adapted from the original.

Thank you again to NetGalley and Delacorte Press for the privilege of reviewing an ARC.
This book affirmed my belief that books are mirrors, windows, and doors. These short stories were not only the “own voices”’stories of people with disabilities, but also of other marginalized groups who happen to have a disability. While I felt it was a little too difficult for my 5th grade students, I might use select essays with my 6th graders as it is a good bridge between my courageous characters and activism units. These weren’t as inspiring as they were honest. I’d encourage people to read them to gain perspective about things most people don’t experience firsthand.
This is a wonderful collection of stories that highlight the experiences of  disabled people. This is a great resource for kids to read and either see themselves reflected in new ways or learn empathy for those around them.
While representation has improved in many areas, there is still not enough and especially when it comes to hearing from authors with disabilities. Some of the facts shared I did not know (there was an ugly law?!) and many experiences shared can help youth readers without disabilities develop their level of understanding and empathy. An important work with a range of authors. I look forward to reading the adult version and to purchasing and recommending this version to students and secondary librarians. What a gift the featured writers have given readers to share some of their truth.
This was a great resource for me as a special Ed teacher and to have for my class library! I am excited to add this to my classroom collection and share with them in the upcoming year!
What an excellent adaptation for young people. Just as important as the original. Essential reading.
I thought this book touched on a lot of important topics.  First hand accounts from actual disabled people (instead of their parents/siblings/friends/random observers) is so important and alarmingly hard to find.  These were very well told, and almost universally compelling.  I'd absolutely order this for my library.

That being said, I did notice that a lot of the stories tended to lean towards an "~INSPIRATIONAL~" tone, which I'm personally not a huge fan of.  However, I know this is a revised edition for the YA audience, so maybe it was important to maintain a positive outlook for that age group.  I wish we were allowed to just *exist* sometimes, without having strong feelings about it.

The other thing I noticed is that the vast majority of the stories feature physical disabilities.  That's likely because the editor herself is physically disabled and would have more experience in that area.  So I want to make it clear that I understand why that happened and I don't see this as a hugely bad thing, more like an oversight.

But there wasn't a single story about learning disabilities.  High school is when learning disabilities tend to impact you the most, so their absence stood out to me.

(Also, I'd really rather rate this 4.5/5, but that's not an option here.)
I wish this YA adaptation had been around just a few months earlier when I used the adult version for a book club. The YA version is more accessible and still contains important stories about varied disabilities from #ownvoices authors.
We need to talk about (and do something about) disability justice in every corner of American society. This collection of carefully-chosen essays, written by disabled people with a wide variety of experiences, is an important contribution to conversations about building social change.

Young people who are disabled will, hopefully, feel seen, companioned, and empowered to live their lives as they want to. People who are not disabled will definitely walk away from the collection with deepened understanding and productive anger at the injustices baked into our institutions and ways of being community.

Many teens and young adults are eager to get started making this a more just, more peaceful world. This book will be a vital part of that work.