Cover Image: Woman of a Certain Rage

Woman of a Certain Rage

A fun book with a variety of characters that a range of readers may relate to. Eliza (our main character) is an angry middle aged lady. She has relatable anger bursts, which is the most amusing part of the book.
Then we have her Son who is autistic. Being a support assistant for a wide range of autistic children, I wondered how well written this character would be. I am pleased to say he was written as a very believable character. Then we have Eliza's teenage daughter who was also so believable. The mix of teenage hormones and menopausal hormones made for many amusing anecdotes within the chapters.
A book that is a light read with funny, relatable parts.
As a woman of a "certain age" I appreciated the description of how you can feel when it menopause time.
I didn't experience those extreme symptoms but the descriptions are quite realistic.
I had fun and enjoyed the story even if some monologue were a bit too long and made my mind wander.
It's funny but it's also full of food for thought.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Very funny and totally relatable! This book is spot on. Smartly written and entertaining. Cannot ask for more! No need to wait until you are of a certain age this book is enjoyable for all. I loved this from start to finish. I hadn’t realised who the author was until I started reading but the style is recognisable and does not disappoint. Great read!

A light hearted read about Eliza, who is finding the menopause hard going and her extremely chaotic family.
Funny and touching in places . I would recommend it as a light hearted, amusing read particularly for women of a certain age !
Thank you to Netgalley, Head of Zeus and Georgia Hall for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review
Woman of a Certain Rage is a smart and funny novel for all the women who won't be told it's too late to shake things up, and Eliza is a heroine many will recognise. She may sweat a lot and need a wee all the time, but she has something to prove.

This is an entertaining and amusing book with a strong female character who seems like she is having a bit of a mid-life crisis. I can’t say I relate to her problems of an unfulfilling and sexless marriage and how she is juggling the physical and mental changes of menopause but Eliza rants and raves in a very funny manner throughout this book, in a comical way that Bridget Jones would, feeling unsatisfied with life.

This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
This story captures the essence of what it's like for most women growing older, with a wealth of experience and knowledge but not to be seen. Eliza's story immerses the reader in a myriad of emotions, there are many hilarious moments, but these are tempered by the fear, poignancy and the sense of loss.

Eliza is menopausal and suffering. Her body is unrecognisable, life's pleasures seem a distant memory, and everyone appears to be getting on with their lives without her. This is an entertaining read written in an engaging but relatable way. It explores many issues that women at this stage of their life face.

It's an easy read and will appeal to many women of a certain age.

I received a copy of this book from 'Head of Zeus' via NetGalley in return for an honest review. (less)
Woman of  a Certain Rage was a thoroughly enjoyable entry from this prolific author. While it was a definite detour from her usual output as Fiona Walker, what this book had in common with her other work was its readabilty. The story pulls you in immediately and you can't help but race through to the very last page. The character's were realistic and likeable. It was a nice change to see a middle-aged protagonist dealing with issues relevant to that age-group, while still allowed an exciting narrative arc.
Eliza, 50, is certainly a Woman of a Certain Rage. She's getting older, her family is growing up and her beloved dog has died and the only solution her husband can offer is to get another. It starts her mind wondering if she would be so easily replaced with a 'swipe'.

I really enjoyed this book. As I am also a woman of a certain age I could so easily relate. It's a lighthearted look at family life with a load of laugh out loud and cringeworthy moments. Loved the journey she went on. Definitely worth a read
A fun read and very relatable for those of us who are having to deal with the menopause, it's a refreshing change to read such an open account of brain fog, hot sweats and mood swings. I was also really impressed with the insight into raising an autistic child, in fact the depiction of relationships between Eliza and her children felt really fresh and honest.
I was intrigued to find out that instead of being a debut novel, it's actually one of my favourite authors writing under a pen name.
Woman of a Certain Rage by Georgie

Recently life had a started to get a bit on top of me. I felt overwhelmed with my partner being unwell, my MS not coping with the heat, several things in the house going wrong - including emptying my bath water and finding it on the kitchen floor and a hole in the ceiling, being immune-compromised so avoiding crowds and still wearing masks. Finally, there’s the effects of menopause when dealing with all those things. I’m far more likely to burst into tears. Masks mean I sweat more - not just a little glow, I can look like I’ve just got out of the shower in tropical moments. Then my reading glasses steam up, but I can’t take them off because I can’t read anything. I’ve taken a short break from blog tours and deadlines to deal with some family stuff and I’m reading exactly what I want. So, I’m on the couch, a cold flannel on my neck, with two fans pointing at me, as few clothes as I dare to wear, and an ice cold can of coke in my hand. I was browsing my NetGalley shelf when this title jumped out at me. It could not have been more apt.

Eliza feels like she’s going crazy. She’s emotional, keeps forgetting things, feels angry and she’s hot, oh so hot.

This is a smart and funny novel about love, life and a second shot at freedom for rebellious women of a certain age. Late for work and dodging traffic, Eliza is still reeling from the latest row with husband Paddy. Twenty-something years ago, their eyes met over the class divide in oh-so-cool Britpop London, but while Paddy now seems content filling his downtime with canal boats and cricket, Eliza craves the freedom and excitement of her youth. Fifty sounds dangerously close to pensionable: her woke children want to cancel her, a male motorist has just called her a 'mad old bat' and to cap it all her hormones are on the run. Who knew menopause was puberty's evil older sister? But then a moment of heroism draws an unexpected admirer, and Eliza sets out to discover whether the second half of life can be a glass half full after all. She might suffer mental fog and night sweats – and have temporarily mislaid her waist - but this is her renaissance.

Late for work and dodging traffic, she's still reeling from the latest row with husband Paddy. Twenty-something years ago, their eyes met over the class divide in oh-so-cool Britpop London, but while Paddy now seems content filling his downtime with canal boats and cricket, Eliza craves the freedom and excitement of her youth. Fifty sounds dangerously close to pensionable: her woke children want to cancel her, a male motorist has just called her a 'mad old bat' and to cap it all her hormones are on the run. Who knew menopause was puberty's evil older sister?

I bonded with Eliza immediately and not just because of the menopause. We’re a similar age, so I could identify with growing up in the Britpop era - I fell totally in love with Damon Albarn, which has lasted a lifetime. All of our references points were the same, and having inherited two beautiful stepdaughters in their tweens and teens I could really appreciate Eliza’s relationship with her daughter. I also have a strong relationship with an elderly dog. Menopause is causing tension in her marriage, particularly her loss of libido. That deep connection they once had seems to have gone, lost in the logistics of family life and life stresses around their finances. Eliza’s realisation that she’s becoming invisible has extended into her working life. She has always wanted to be a stage actress but her career has never really taken off. Now she’s getting less and less work, and aside from one Japanese tourist who thinks she’s Emma Thompson, she feels very under appreciated. She’s doing voice work, reading audiobooks mainly, plus has a side job showing people properties for a local estate agent. All of the everyday stresses in her life - marriage, family tensions mixed with financial concerns, having ‘woke’ children, her youngest son who is on the spectrum - leave her feeling exhausted. Into this low point steps a handsome Italian restauranteur, who happens to have taken over her family’s favourite bistro from his uncle. Exuding charm from every pore, he flatters Eliza and makes her feel desirable when of late she’s felt men’s eyes pass over her and to her teenage daughter. It’s like one big ‘hormotional’ perfect storm and I wondered whether anyone would come out of it unscathed.

It’s easy to love Eliza; she’s loving, caring, vivacious and witty. However, her husband Paddy grew on me too and I felt a great deal of empathy for his own middle aged struggles. There is growing evidence of male menopause, despite society being largely dismissive and calling it a ‘midlife crisis’. Jokes about middle-aged men trying to recapture their youth with hair transplants, sports cars and unwise affairs with younger women are still commonplace. Yet the NHS recognises a group of symptoms similar to those experienced by women - irritability, insomnia, weight gain, loss of muscle mass, erectile dysfunction, loss of libido and memory problems. Some doctors have questioned whether these are symptoms of a loss of testosterone, but the NHS classify it as a psychological syndrome caused by increased levels of depression and raised anxiety amongst men in their late forties and fifties. Paddy is definitely going through something like this, but has had a lot to contend with. His father’s death and the loss of the narrow boat they worked on together hit him hard. Eliza’s family bought the boat so he could still work on it, but that brings its own guilt and shame because Paddy could not afford to run it. His wife earns more than he does and she’s starting acting like a crazy person. He thinks her loss of libido is down to him being a failure as a man. It really did show that problems occur when couples stop communicating.

The author really got this right, with a perfect balance between the serious issues and the comic moments. Her other characters were well rounded, with interesting quirks to their personalities or hidden depths. I thought her sister was an infuriating superwoman who could juggle everything perfectly, but when she cooked Sunday dinner she was in a complaining, sweaty, heap like I do on Sundays! Her mum had depths of hidden wisdom and despite never seeming to ask, had a pretty accurate idea of what was going on. I found Eliza’s daughter infuriating though. She was very preachy and deeply committed to social justice and women’s rights, but despite agreeing with her in some cases I found her speeches annoying and the long Shakespeare quotes pretentious. I think this is how the author intended her though. She was like an exaggeration of my stepdaughter’s generation and I could see a lot of our 15 year old in Summer’s causes and the way she spoke. I think the youngest son’s autism was handled well too. When she found out the real reason he wouldn’t use his allocated transport to get to school I was heartbroken for him. All anyone wants is for someone to understand them and listen to how it feels, rather than dismissing them with a lazy stereotype or the ableism on show here. The final adventure was both funny and poignant, and I left the book feeling like I’d been seen and acknowledged. I also had a huge smile on my face, because it had really lifted my spirits. I’d really love another instalment of Eliza and her family in the future.
I’m afraid I struggled with this book.  I thought from the review that it was going to be a humorous reflection of a 50 year old woman but I’m afraid I didn’t really gel with the writing style or manner of Eliza. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read a preview copy of this book.
Didnt enjoy this book at all. Took me months to read it. It just isnt my cuppa tea. Apologies to the author but i didnt like it.
Being a woman of a certain (rage) I eagerly anticipated this novel. The opening pages put me off straight away and I fear the protagonist being a stereotype.
When I realised it was 700 pages long, I thought, no, I cannot waste my time  trying to get into the book especially as other reviewers hadn't liked all the characters.
Thanks for the opportunity to try this novel but its a thumbs down for me
The motto of this book should be you’re never too old for anything. Age is just a number. Eliza is a mom, actor and part-time estate agent. And she’s finding menopause incredibly difficult, they do not educate women enough on this (angry ramble on this later).

The book opens with the death of her beloved dog, and how she can’t cope with their loss. After a raging argument with her husband, Eliza begins to turn inwards and contemplates her marriage. After nearly twenty-two years together, they’ve had their ups and their downs, but now things just seemed to have stalled. As she tries to keep everything and everyone ticking over, she craves her youth.

This book was incredibly funny, with many laugh out loud moments that didn’t feel manipulated or forced. Eliza is hilarious, a woman who is stronger than she realises. I found that her inner monologues at times were a little too long and too frequent. It got to a point where the story was interrupted with flashbacks and thoughts every two minutes, and this gets tiresome.

I really enjoyed that autism featured very heavily in this book. Autism should have more awareness, and I felt that it was highlighted very well. To find out why Eliza’s son didn’t want to get his assigned travel to school as heart-breaking, and something that happens all too often in life.  It was a point that although followed up a little, I wanted Eliza to have a full on confrontation with the narrow-minded driver.

Menopause is something that I don’t think has ever featured so much in any book I’ve read, if it’s been featured at all. Even when I think about it, it’s often referred to as a taboo subject to discuss. Although partially terrified of it now, I was glad to see a character who openly shares her experiences. Eliza often blames a lot of her problems on her menopause, which isn’t always the case. Her marriage is suffering more from a lack of communication than anything else.
I'm afraid although I am menopausal at the moment I couldn't relate to this. I have most of her symptoms but it doesn't colour my whole life the way it does for the main character. I found the whole book so bleak. Everything was blamed on the menopause when actually lack of communication was the problem.
If they had all talked to one another honestly though there would have been no book !
Thank you Netgalley for the review copy but I'm afraid it wasn't for me.
Eliza, in her fifties, former actor, mother of three (who will not make her life any easier, even if they are already almost grownups). She is furious with her husband since he wants a new dog although the old one just died. Her family throws at her all kinds of dares, that she does not want to take. The new owner of their favorite restaurant has taken a fancy in her. A admirer with a camera keeps following her. And she is menopausal.

All the hot flashes, mood swings, sibling rivalry, daughter’s TED talks and younger son's panic attacks, do not make Eliza’s life easier. But she is a woman and she can take it all. And if not there is always one other option - to run!

“Woman of  a Certain Rage” is wonderful for entertaining and for self discovery, even if your hot flashes are caused by the weather and not your hormones, you still understand how Eliza is feeling when everything is happening now, at once.

Reading the book I was remembering Jenny Lawson’s Furiously Happy and Nina George’s The Little Paris Bookshop. And through all the book I had the feeling that the BBC could make a wonderful short series out of it.

A brilliant story with wonderful characters.
Absolutely loved this books. I really empathised with the main character and I know many of my friends join her in the misery that is the menopause. I'd recommend this to anyone 'of a certain rage' - funny and touching, a great story,  it opens a door into a condition that women are expected to just put up with quietly and certainly not talk about in a compelling fictional story. It's not a medic's book but every medic should read it!
What a funny book! A humourous book following Eliza who is keen to denial she is menopausal and the changes that it has brought to her life and loves! A great read
Our main character Eliza is a mum, daughter, sister, and wife who is finding menopausal life a bit tough.

As it's written in the first person, her experiences and thoughts are clear and oh so familiar. Many of us will know the changes you feel as a parent of growing children, the fear of your own parents' mortality, and the way others see aging women.

Woman of a Certain Rage made me laugh, made me sad, and as a lady of a similar age, I could identify with this on so many levels.

Although Eliza's "adventure" is maybe not something we will all get to experience, it's full of real life scenarios. The way that the little dog's death was dealt with was spot on and gave me misty eyes on several occasions remembering the loss of my own dog.

I love that autism features as a big part of the story and think it's important for neurotypical people to know more about it.

I'm pleased to find this was written by Fiona Walker, who has been a long time favourite author of mine. Once I realised this I could clearly see it was written in Fiona's tone.

Even though Eliza is a middle-aged woman, the story is bang up to date. It's written to include current culture and thoughts.

It also made me look up the meanings of heart emojis. Who knew? I just use them because the colours match the photo I'm sharing on Instagram 😂. I'll be more careful in future.

Thanks to @headofzeus @Netgalley and @georgiehalluk for the ARC
Thank you Head of Zeus and NetGalley for this book.
This is Fiona Walker writing under a different name
Oh god could I relate to some of this being 50 something and very menopausal but with no kids thankfully.
Life is in a rut for Eliza but she is wanting to free herself and change things and this is such a fun book, a bit of a slow starter but I loved it.  Funny, enjoyable and a great read.
Definitely recommend .