Cover Image: Farewell to the Liar

Farewell to the Liar

Cora has recently lost her job as a detective, however, now has the job to protect her sister Ruth the new Wayward storyteller; until the story is told at the election.

Throughout her journey, she shows growth, compassion and faces great danger.

Overall this was a very intriguing, well-written and engaging novel.
However, I had not realised this was the final installment in a trilogy; in which I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it from book one.

So if you do plan to read this. I do recommend reading books 1 and 2 first.
What a heartwarming end to a great trilogy!

Farewell to the Liar is a wonderful combination of crime noir and fantasy, and focuses on the power of storytelling. It has political intrigue and police procedurals that fans of Rivers of London and Dresden Files would appreciate. Stories within the story are compelling and thought-provoking. D. K. Fields' prose is immersive and beautiful.

The world-building is well-done and richly imagined. Each place has its own culture and beliefs that make them distinct from one another. The scenes were described in detail that it's not hard to imagine it.

All characters are well-written and three-dimensional. The protagonist, Cora is a complex and flawed character. She makes mistakes and I love how strong she is. Seeing her grow and flourish throughout the trilogy is just awesome.

Overall, Farewell to the Liar is an engaging read. It's much more than solving crimes with fantasy elements, it also deals with fundamental issues on ecology, corruption, and politics.

Thank you so much Head of Zeus and Netgalley for the DRC> All thoughts and opinions are mine.
I will update the review with a link to our blog closer to publication date.
I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me with an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Farewell to the Liar by D.K. Fields

📓Genre: Fantasy/Sci-Fi | Thriller
Star: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

🔖 This book is actually the concluding novel of a trilogy. I haven't honesty read the first two, but this one was intriguing enough on its own.
🔖The story primarily follows ex-Detective Cora Gorderheim – a well-written and strong female protagonist – who is on a dual quest of keeping her sister safe as well as trying to expose the political corruption of her land.
🔖What I really liked about this book is how the author mixes two completely different genres – mystery/thriller with fantasy/sci-fi. The writing is well-crafted and does proper justice to the story.
🔖I really enjoyed this book and will surely like to read the first two novels of this series.

🔸Final Verdict: Good
🔸Book Cover: I loved the style
🔸Writing Style: Well-paced
🔸Character Development: Good

✨Many thanks to Head of Zeus (Publisher) and Netgalley for sending me the ARC in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

#FarewellToTheLiar #NetGalley #arc #bookreview
Plot:  The plot in this book has some serious heavy lifting to do; deliver a satisfying and complete story, 2 election tales and a conclusion to the bigger arc of the trilogy.  Each of these elements are given enough space to do their thing without losing coherency. Impressive stuff.

Setting:  The settings are vividly described, from a tight alley in Fenest to the sweeping Waywards stepps.  For me the settings in this book are as important to the story as any of the plot points.  I love how each region has its own flavour, history and culture and this shapes how characters from those realms act.

Characters:  All the characters are complete and three dimensional.  The decisions they make are all in keeping with their characters and together they make a nice cast.

Pace:  The only place I felt the pace was off was in the Rustan story, the story itself is fine but it’s quite a placid and slow tale and a juxtaposition with the rising tension happening outside the election story.  Other than that, the story rips along nicely.

The Ending:  Nails it.  Can’t think of anything that would have the ending any more satisfying.

Overall trilogy

There is a lot going on in this story and it’s a really good fantasy trilogy but I think it’s cleverer than that.

If you look holistically at the trilogy it throws so much shade at the established governments of real life.  Climate change deniers and the people who pay lip service to making changes because it’s not directly hurting them (yet),  unwelcome refugees (that one I found particularly poignant), corruption at every level.  Like I said, this is more than just a good fantasy story.

As a trilogy this really works, each book has its own central story that is resolved while contributing to the wider arc.  Characters and relationships are consistent throughout with growth that feel natural.  The world building is excellent and it gives us something a bit different.

Loved it.
Cora Gorderheim, recently stripped of her job as a detective, is currently on a single mission: to protect her sister Ruth, the Wayward storyteller, until the story is told for the election. As a former detective in Fenest, she is quite skilled at getting places. But she runs against a number of challenges in the run-up to the story, and there are those who don't want the Wayward story told and are willing to kill to prevent it.

I will start by advising I was unaware of this book being the third in a trilogy when I requested it and went into this without the considerable world-building and background that reading the earlier books would have afforded. That said, I was able to piece together some of the story while reading and so feel able to give this a fair review. I will admit it was really difficult to get started, feeling very much like I was thrown into the deep end. The whole concept of storytelling in this world is hard to grasp in this volume but I did get a good feel for some other aspects of this world. The two stories told in this book were quite engaging in their own ways. I had little or no understanding of either the Rustan or Wayward before these stories but I felt they gave a lot of insight into how they live.

I liked the character of Cora in that she seems to be quite rough around the edges but she's a good detective and she is dedicated and loyal to those who deserve it. It seems she's been dealt a few bad hands in her life but she has risen above it and made her own choices to live the life she wants. Her sister, on the other hand, is much harder to fathom and she has made choices that are quite different. Ruth has little value to her own life during this book, except that she must deliver the story. Outside of that she puts no importance on herself or others who might get in her way. Perhaps earlier story helps round out Ruth's background but I find her hard to reconcile her becoming a Wayward when she was born and raised in Fenest. I'm not quite sure how that works in this world. I do feel as though she is meant to be a less complete character, at least in the sense of her life story being told. Certainly from Cora's point of view, there are massive empty spaces in Ruth's past that may never be known.

Overall I enjoyed this book for what it was but I imagine I'd have enjoyed it more had I been able to read the previous parts of the story. Based on what was presented I will give this a 4 star rating. I would like to thank Netgalley and Head of Zeus for a free advanced reader copy. I am providing this review voluntarily.
This was such a beautiful ending to this trilogy, I really enjoyed this final book. It gripped my throughout and the amazing world building that had been set up in books one and two continued into this third one.

Highly recommend this book trilogy! Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
I didn’t realize this book was a trilogy when I began reading it, so I quickly had to purchase the first two, and I’m glad I did! The world building is incredible and detailed, and the premise of stories influencing elections, investigations, etc was very unique and interesting. Cora was a well developed character with flaws of her own, but shows growth and development as the trilogy continues. This was a great final book to the trilogy, and well worth the read!
My thanks to Head of Zeus for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Farewell to the Liar’ by D.K. Fields in exchange for an honest review.  I combined reading with its unabridged audiobook edition narrated by Sophie Roberts.

This is Book 3 in their Tales of Fenest trilogy, which began in 2019 with ‘Widow’s Welcome’, followed by ‘The Stitcher and the Mute’ in 2020. Fields has skilfully presented this conclusion that combines themes of politics and storytelling. The police procedural aspect that was important in the first two books is of less prominence in the final book.

Again, as this is a trilogy, the books should be read in order though some background is provided to refresh memory. However, I won’t say much about the plot in order to avoid spoilers for the previous books for those yet to read them.

Central to the trilogy is the election, held every five years, in which storytellers from the six realms present their tales in Fenest to masked listeners that represent the Swaying Audience, the 50 gods of the realms. Here, the final two stories are to be presented by the Rustan and Wayward storytellers.

Detective Cora Gorderheim, the trilogy’s main protagonist, has to protect the life of her sister, Ruth, the new Wayward storyteller from those that wish for the message of the story to be silenced.

Overall, a satisfying conclusion to this excellent trilogy that has combined brilliant world building with well realised characters and an engaging plot.

Highly recommended.
D.K. Fields wraps up The Tales of Fenest beautifully in this final installment. There's not as much energy in this book as there was in the first two, but the writing is sharp, the characters jump off the page, and the world building is vibrant, so it's still a great story. An excellent ending to a wonderful trilogy!
Farewell To The Liar, D.K. Fields
Pub Date: August 5, 2021

Farewell To The Liar is the third and final chapter of the Tales of Fenest series by D.K. Fields. While I had not read the previous 2 novels, the premise of Farewell To The Liars the world and story building was well structured so that I was able to follow the story-line and character arcs. D.K Fields interlaced a myriad of themes of humanity and destruction and preservation against elections that hold the fate of resources, sustainability, and ultimately their survival. Enmeshed within the main plot-line are touches of noir crime procedural, dystopia, political unrest and spiritual connectedness. This is an interesting read and take on the world, particularly so during the pandemic.

Ultimately, I wish I had realised it was part of a trilogy as reading the series in its entirety would offer more depth and connection. I will be seeking out book 1 in the near future!
It's always sad to say goodbye to che characters of a series but I thoroughly enjoyed this last instalment as it was gripping and the end satisfying.
There's plenty going on and the story deals with fundamental issues like ecology.
Great world building and character development, a plot that flows and never drags.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
A worthy, and heartfelt ending to what has been an unexpectedly unusual and enjoyable series. I went into these books thinking they'd be crime with a hint of fantasy but what I got was fabulous and unique world building, a thoughtful and distinctive religious system, flawed and believable characters, and stories, wrapped in stories wrapped in stories, I read the three books in the series one after another and found myself turning pages into the night. It was a gripping tale, with a dark and gritty plot but woven throughout with moments of hope and humanity in the tales told. An author who I will be checking out for further publications.
I love the world Fields has created with this trilogy. The idea that stories can physically change reality or affect outcomes – for elections, for court case verdicts – was innovative and compelling. Stories are dangerous weapons as well as necessary tools and pieces of entertainment. I like the way Fields has encapsulated that – story within story – in a series that is police procedural meets fantasy exploring the idea of monomyth. I feel as if we get a fair if slightly harrowing resolution for Cora in this book, too. After three books of poor decisions and fury, she is finally faced with an awful choice and the build up really pays off. Over all this is an excellent series. Highly recommend
Intrigued by the description I requested this ARC not realising it was part of a trilogy. It was indeed a serendipitous request as quickly found after buying and devouring the first two books, Widow's Welcome and Stitcher & the Mute.
The trilogy - Tales of Fenest centre around Nora Goderheim a city detective from a disgraced family.whose role places her in the heart of the capital Fenest.  Nora is an excellent detective and the mood of the inital stroy is gritty noir and blends fantasy, politics and police procedural.
The Union, composed of six realms Perlish, Wayward, Casker, Lowlander, Torn and Rustan, is in the midst of elections which occur every five years.  Stories are central to the lives of all in the union and the decision on which realm rules is guaged by the stories told with votes placed by the Audience.
We are introduced to Nora after the death of the Wayward storyteller and this leads her deeper into the politics of Fenest - something she has avoided since her parents disgrace.
Each book includes two election stories from the Realms which were fascinating in themselves and I found myself allocating them a black or a white stone much as the Audience votes are cast.  Each story provides an insight into each Realm, relflecting their ethos, customs and thoughts.
In Farewell to the Liar the last book of the trilolgy Nora has been forced out of the police and commits herself to her estranged sisters Ruth to ensure that the Wayward story is told.  This book ties up story threads, we learn more about the Tear and the calamity the Union is facing but with a roadmap for hope.
I urge you to read and immerse yourself in this trilogy - a fantastic find for me particularly in the post lockdown period.
My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for access to this ARC, all comments are my own.
This was a great, albeit occasionally a little confusing, finish to this trilogy.
What seemed like a police investigation into a gruesome murder quickly became something much deeper over the course of books one and two. In a world where stories literally determine the outcome of elections, and storytellers are deeply important to each Fenestrian culture, especially the election Storytellers, fired police officer Cora Gorderheim has critical decisions to make about dealing with the corruption in Fenest, as revealed by Cora’s murder investigation and by Ruth.
Newly fired for being a little too good at ferreting out the truth, Cora has to protect her older sister, now the Wayward Storyteller. It’s a harrowing job, as Ruth has other critical duties to fulfil, taking the pair out of Fenest, and there are many attempts to silence the Storyteller. And it all comes down, after Ruth’s telling of the final election story, to deciding who gets to decide the outcome of the election: the voters, or corrupt government officials eager to build walls, lie and murder people to hide the truth of an increasingly dangerous situation creating a stream of refugees out of the Lowlands.

The authors do a great job ratcheting up the dangers and tension, while again embedding two more terrific novella-length stories, told this time by the Rustans and the Waywards, within the larger narrative.
Meanwhile, Cora has to confront her feelings about her parents, Ruth, and herself, making this the toughest, in some ways, of the three books to read. She’s been brimming with anger, and has made poor decisions throughout the three books, and is finally faced with a terrible, gut wrenching choice at the end. It’s been a difficult journey in so many ways for this character, and well handled by the authors.
Additionally, the choices faced by Fenest, and who these people want to be and how they define themselves are relevant and timely questions.
I literally picked the first book up on a whim, and because I thought the cover looked great. I’m glad I did, and more glad I followed the series through to its end. It’s been a deliberate, thought provoking journey.

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for this ARC in exchange for a review.
Thank you so much for letting me review this amazing book! I absolutely loved the characters and the story! Had me hooked from the very beginning! I couldn't put the book down! I highly recommend this book to enjoy!!!
A good final installment. of the trilogy. It didn't disappoint. Readers who enjoyed the first books will read this one, that's obvious. They can count on more cool world-building and character development and things wrapped up in a neat way. Recommended.
Did I know this was the last book in a trilogy when I requested it? No. Was I super confused for the first couple of chapters? Yes. Did I go read the first two books and then hurry back to read this one? Also yes! The world built in these books is super interesting and well developed and I may have lost the full affect because I binged it but I still liked it all the same.
When I got this ARC I had no idea that it was part of a trilogy, I honestly just wanted to read it because it sounded really interesting. The whole series is really great and this book provides an excellent conclusion to the overall story.

Farewell to the Liar has really excellent world building and all of the locales are really neat. The characters are also great and display excellent personal growth and development. Overall, it's a really pleasing read.