Cover Image: The School Between Winter and Fairyland

The School Between Winter and Fairyland

This was a wonderful fantasy book that was about adventure, friendship, and family.
Autumn is a beast keeper/servant at her the magical boarding school. Winter, Autumn's brother, has gone missing and throughout the forest and the school she sees him or finds items of Winter's hidden. Cai, the chosen one, seeks Autumn out for the deal of helping him with beasts. This bargain transforms as the story progresses and the friendship blooms! The only critique I have is that the beginning was a little slow to start for me, and I could equally see some of my students struggling with it too.
4.5 stars. Another fantastic middle grade/fantasy stand-alone from Heather Fawcett. The Language of Ghosts was one of my favorites last year, and The School Between Winter and Fairyland proves to be another well-structured story that both deconstructs and pays homage to over-used children's fantasy tropes. I loved all the characters (especially Autumn and Cai) and the world building was just enough to make an immersive world without wasting time away from the stories and characters.
What I would have given for this book to have come out when I was a kid...no but seriously. It made adult me so happy and nostalgic for a story that felt so reminiscent of a time where reading was just so magical and the magic felt so real. I think Heather does an amazing job of creating this magical world that was simultaneously gripping, and fun. Between the creatures, the world building, the magic, the twists and turns, I truly could not put this story down. As in I read it on the day I was approved in one sitting. Seriously SO good. I also appreciated the fact that the author was not afraid to add some depth to the stories and the characters. She touched on some really hard subjects in a manner that is truly appropriate for middle grade, and I think would make a lot of different children feel seen and understood. I absolutely adore Autumn and Boggart and think that they really add different things to the story that make them so different but also amazing additions. I truly do not think anything was out of place in this story. I work within the foster system and I fully intend to buy this book when it comes out, because while it is fun, I also full heartedly believe that it has the potential to make a difference in children's lives. I would love to see this story in children's classrooms because it is just one that I can tell is special and will be around for awhile. I cannot say enough good things about this.
A lovely gentle fantasy with amazing monsters and a dedicated sister, Autumn and her connection with Winter plus her friendship with Cai nudge this book over the finish line.
The perfect melding of fantasy and middle grade fiction.  Enjoyable setting, relatable characters, and a plot that will keep readers reading well past lights out.
What a wonderful creation for Middle School fantasy fans! Autumn Malog is a beastkeeper at a school of magic - just a servant, who is befriended by one of the most popular boys in school - and the Chosen One! As Autumn and Cai become unlikely friends, they help each other to discover their true selves and the mysteries that have kept their lives from being what they could be. A wonderful tale of self-discovery and empowerment as well as the power of friendship. Definitely very readable for all ages!
I adored this book. I love both Autumn and Cai and their friendship develops so sweetly. I really liked how the author went into the social hierarchy. I especially appreciated how Autumn was so used to being oppressed she never expected anything better. It reminded me of "learned helplessness" and helped make the character and her situation feel very real. When people are oppressed, sometimes they fight against the system, but other times they will become used to the corrupt system. Watching Autumn being so resigned to her fate was heartbreaking and really made me feel for her. As she bonds with Cai and her eyes started to open to more possibilities for her future I got really excited.
I've received this book for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

I was surprised how much I really enjoy this book as a 30 year old I think it is great for kids and adults.