Cover Image: The Maid

The Maid

I really enjoyed this novel. The main character was charming and believable, and I immediately started rooting for her. The mystery aspect and the eventual found family kept me reading, and I thought it was very well-written.

The only reason it wasn't a 5-star read for me was that I don't enjoy when books written in the first person reveal something near the end that the character has known all along. I felt there were ways that aspect of the story could have been handled differently. However, I will still wholeheartedly recommend it, especially to fans of books like When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald and Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata.

Thanks for NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an advance copy!
3.5 stars.

The Maid was a very feel good story with a valuable moral message.  I felt the characters and story were not particularly complex, but it was a satisfying read nonetheless.  Molly has a very unique viewpoint that may not be for everyone – her naivety and meticulous narrative voice could be difficult at times – but is certainly unlike any I’ve read before.

I don’t think of this story as much of a mystery in the conventional sense; the characters remain who they always are and you can quickly categorize the roles they’re going to play.  The narrator may not always be the best judge of character and her strained perspective makes a valiant effort of obscuring the reader’s own conclusions, but the characters’ intentions are laid out quite easily for even the most novice sleuth.  Molly is often a victim of circumstance and her own inability to articulate herself in a way that would vindicate her character.  If there were any big “surprises”, I don’t feel the groundwork was really put in for the reader, more dropped in at random to neatly tie loose ends.

It’s possible I let my own expectations get the better of me and found this a little underwhelming on the whole.  Partway through reading I had to adjust my expectations and appreciate this novel for what it was.  I do think it was a very charming story and was rooting for Molly’s growth and journey to proving her innocence.  This is definitely a cozy light read, just not one you’d turn to for putting your mind to work.

Thanks to Penguin Random House Canada and Netgalley for this pleasant read!
I start by thanking NetGalley and the publisher for my eARC in exchange for my honest review.  A wonderful quirky read.  Learning to enjoy unique stories of unique characters, to find joyin simple tasks done well, to see crime solved by mostly Invisible people. Truly fun.
Molly adores her job as a maid in a hotel. While focusing on bringing rooms back to their state of perfection, Molly discovers one of the hotel's most esteemed guests dead in his bed. Join Molly the maid in a cozy mystery where she uncovers the secrets of the hotel and its guests, as well as discovering who truly has her back.

Molly is a neurodivergent character who is just so charming and delightful! Prose's dialogue had me cackling but also kept the tension high when the more nefarious characters were using Molly's good nature. I'm not usually one to pick up a cozy (give me the darkness) but this is a quirky enjoyable read with a main character who just simply wants to follow the rules and etiquette of her employer. This is also Nita's Prose's debut novel!

4.5 stars rounded up
J'ai absolument adoré ce livre ! La personnage principale est attachante et très particulière, j'ai eu l'impression d'entrer dans un monde différent du mien. Je recommande fortement ce livre !!
The Maid by Nita Prose was suprisingly delightful.  I had a hard time putting it down, and when I did, I wanted to get back to it anytime I had a spare minute.  The main character, a slightly awkward and deeply conscientious hotel maid, was an absolute joy to meet, and I found my self caring very much about what happened to her.  Her personality was so engaging and honest, that I just wanted her to be appreciated and taken seriously.
The book takes place in an opulent hotel where Molly (yes Molly) works cleaning rooms.  One of the rooms she cleans houses a very important man who is unfotunately found dead by Molly herself.  This discovery changes her life and she goes from being completely ignored by everyone, to being the centre of attention.  Because she is so socially awkward, she has a hard time distinguishing between who she can trust and who she can't, which leads to many important lessons learned.  In the end, she figures it our and shows that even though she is naive, she is strong as well.
The characters in the novel were well written and significant to the outcome of the story.  The main character and her supporting cast were extremely rootable and the end was very satisfying.  I love the character of Molly, and I wanted her to be alright and she was.  I recomment everyone read this uplifting and wonderfully joyous book.  You won't be disappointed
Twenty-five year old Molly Gray is a maid at the Regency Grand Hotel.  Molly is an unique individual. Not always the best at interpreting facial expressions and vocal tones Molly finds dealing with people a challenge. Molly’s Gran helps Molly navigate the social world and its’ mysteries. Sadly Molly’s Gran has passed away. All on her own Molly feels lost without her Gran’s guidance and is struggling to cope with all of life’s ins and outs.
Molly loves her job as a maid. Cleanliness and keeping things in order gives Molly a great deal of satisfaction.  Mr. Black and his second wife Giselle are regular guests at the Regency Grand and Molly is their maid. Molly endures Mr. Black’s abrupt and often rude behaviour because she is a professional. Molly has a different relationship with Giselle. Molly comes to think of Giselle as her friend.
One day Molly returns to the Black’s hotel room to finish cleaning and discovers the lifeless body of Charles Black. Molly makes note of the disorder of the room and calls for help.
Being first on the scene Molly is questioned by Detective Stark. Molly’s responses to Detective Stark’s questions are thought to be unusual and sometimes inappropriate considering  the circumstances. This leads to Molly becoming a suspect and not just a witness.
I was very anxious to read THE MAID. I have been hearing about it so my anticipation was high. THE MAID did not disappoint. I loved it from beginning to end and all the stuff in between. Molly’s innocence and uniqueness are endearing. With a subtle layer darkness Nita Prose gave us an entertaining and charming tale of a young woman trying to navigate the world as best she can under trying circumstances.
I think THE MAID will attract a huge following when it is released early next year.
Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for allowing me access to an advanced e-edition.