Cover Image: Witch for Hire

Witch for Hire

This book does a great job of addressing the power of online bullying and the power of friendship and a good support system to overcome that negativity. It may be a bit dark for some readers, touching on suicide and attempted murder as the serious consequences of online bullying but I think any reader old enough to have an online presence is old enough to read this book. The art is cool and helps keep the story from feeling too old school morality tale, The cast of characters was well done and while I wish I had gotten to see more of the supporting characters the art also helped fill in some of their stories. Overall I do wish the story had been a bit longer and particularly gone into some more details about Faye's background to flesh her character out more, but I still enjoyed the story.
What a deliciously spooky tale. Faye has been hanging out at the loser's table for a while now (maybe it's the witch hat?) and doesn't seem in a hurry to leave. When strange and dangerous pranks begin occurring around school, she knows it probably won't end well if she gets involved, but isn't that what Elvira would have done?

In a remarkable resemblance to the Momo challenge, this book covers key topics of cyberbullying and the struggle to fit in and become popular in a hostile world. Although I can't confirm that actual demons are involved in some of the sinister targeting that goes on in real life, this book speaks to how easy it is to feel trapped in situations like this. I also appreciated how difficult it was for Faye to make a decision on whether to help and how. Issues like this aren't usually straightforward, but that doesn't mean they're impossible. The art is compelling and just the right amount of creepy. I'll be looking forward to reading more in this series.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
High school freshman Cody is sent immediately to the loser table by a cruel sibling, where she meets Faye Faulkner; a goth chick with a witch hat and a group of "losers" that are accomplished students who don't fit the "mean girl/jock" mold. When a series of pranks go from amusing to outright dangerous and destructive, Faye's on the case - and the trail leads to Cody. Faye has to decide whether or not to reveal her true identity - she really is a teenage witch! - to Cody and help release her from a very bad deal, or to keep to herself, affecting her usual social distance? I love a good goth tale, and who better than Eisner Award-nominated series Courtney Crumrin's creator, Ted Naifeh?  Witch for Hire goes beyond the usual mean girls high school story and masterfully weaves a tale of social media, influence, and manipulative magic. Faye Faulkner is your next favorite character; cool beyond compare, with witch powers, excellent baking skills, and who doesn't give a good gracious fig about what you, or the cool kids, think of her. But she has a heart, and she cares, and that's what makes her an endearing, interesting character. I hope this is a fun new series I can look forward to; my Courtney Crumrin trades need a break!
This might sound weird, but I was obsessed with the colors of this graphic novel. I think that this added to the artwork and made it that much more aesthetically pleasing. Before I get into the actual story, I just wanted to make an extra note that I think this might be my favorite graphic novel so far this year. Everything from the artwork, to the characters, and the storyline made this the perfect read for me. Even though the suggested age range for this story is 14, I fully enjoyed it as an adult and thought that it was such a fun read. I have a soft spot for Cody, but I absolutely adore Faye. This sort of reminded me of Sabrina the teenage witch mixed with a little bit of gossip girl with the Shy Shelbi flair. I think that the storyline and the characters were so fun, and the adventures themselves were so imaginative. I truly was surprised at the end, and can say that everything leading up to the end made it so worth it. I thought that as a whole this was such a fun ride, and a read I highly enjoyed and highly recommend.
It’s Cody’s first day of high school. When her sister won’t let her sit with the cool kids, she is stuck at the loser’s table. There she meets Faye, a girl in a witch hat with similar life skills. Faye’s a witch—but not a Witch for Hire—at least not yet…

This teen graphic novel is a mashup of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Gossip Girl. Shy Shelbi has an online program of “self-help” to turn losers into heroes. But she also cyberbullies people into carrying out her “pranks”. Her pranks are vicious: pushing someone down a flight of stairs, and texting someone to kill themselves. Can newbie witch Faye stop Shy Shelbi? Will Cody turn into a hero?

Witch for Hire has an interesting plot that kept me engaged throughout. The identity of the real loser in the book was a genuine surprise. Faye is an intriguing character and the book’s conclusion definitely leaves room for a sequel. 4 stars!

Thanks to Amulet Books, ABRAMS Kids, and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
The art style was nice enough, though I'm sure it will be even better in color. That's what gave this book a 3 star rating instead of a 2. As other reviews have mentioned, this book had potential but didn't live up to it. Underdeveloped main characters, underdeveloped side characters, undeveloped interpersonal relationships. The witchcraft could have been really neat but wasn't touched on long enough or in enough depth. The Shy Shelbi character (?) was sufficiently evil and creepy, but that whole plotline was still a bit confusing. Over all a nice attempt that didn't quite succeed, and not a book that I'll be purchasing for my library.
What a fantastically creepy book about teens dealing with peer pressure and bullying in high school. I would have liked to have seen a few more pages to resolve the ending a bit more smoothly, but I enjoyed the book overall.
Faye Faulkner is a witch who doesn't feel the need to make friends or move from the loser's table at school. When students start following an odd social media account that promises self actualization, it turns into a case of cyberbullying taken too far. Faye realizes that she may be the only one that can uncover the secret behind the social media account and save her fellow students, even at the cost of her own safety.
I enjoyed the different styles of text. I do wish the other characters had been fleshed out a bit more.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-Arc of Witch for Hire by Ted Naifeh.

Witch for Hire is a graphic novel with a paranormal style telling of a cyberbullying creature. Students at Faye's high school who sit at the loser table and feel lost and alone are finding themselves on the recieving end of messages that instruct them to harm others and if they don't something bad will happen to them. Faye, who has sat at the loser's table the longest, decides to investigate.

I really liked the imagination of creating a creature who is behind cyberbullying and the creature has no power outside of the internet and it is other people who are causing all the harm. This graphic novel touches on interesting concepts of who has the power and what power can do for those who do have it. From getting out of trouble to blacking mailing others to get what you want. This book also really shows how important it is to care for others even if it doesn't benefit you and how much better it is to care for others rather than to be alone.

I enjoyed this graphic novel and it was a quick read with some really deep themes that would be great for a classroom setting or introducing students to the idea of cyberbullying, self-harm, and how those with power don't always wield it correctly.
*Thank you NetGalley for an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review.*

This might be the most blunt and negative review I've ever written, but I just did not like this book.

Let me break it down:
-The format on my tablet was weird and the font was fuzzy and difficult to read (which I know doesn't really matter in terms of this review, but still)
-The book is so short, it just didn't feel complete. There was one point where I had to go back to see if I'd missed something. It was rushed and seemed like parts were left out.
-Faye was not likeable. She was mean and it was difficult to sympathize. But there weren't any characters that were likeable, so it fit in.
-I did not like the way mental illness was treated. It was treated like something shameful.
-This book got almost immediate negative points from me when it had the words "loser kill yourself" written on a cafeteria table. But the fact that it kept using that phrase and actually included an attempt? No. Not okay. Ever.
Ok but not great. It was never fully explained how magic fits with the real world. It's definitely a dark teen story, something that paints high school in a terrible light. I see how this could become a series, but I don't know if I'd read another one.
Honestly, don't bother with this book. It was missing so much. It had the potential but it failed don't read it.

Thanks to NetGalley for the eARC.

.5 out of 5 stars
A YA graphic novel about a witch? How could I resist?! A couple of notes about the galley: it was unfortunately not in color like the printed book will be (and based on the cover and sample page, I expect it to be quite vibrant!). I also had some trouble reading this one because the quality was a bit low; there were some parts where I just could not make out the words due to too much pixelation. Alas! The story was fun, though, and a very relatable one for me. I appreciated the exploration of how lonely and troublesome it can be as a teen when you don't fit in to various social groups. I related to Faye and her self-reliant approach very much, although I wish I had had a witchy mentor when I was younger! I thought this was a nice story with some empowering messages in the end, and I enjoyed the cute art style. I'd definitely pick up a physical copy to add to my witchy graphic novels shelf.
**Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. **

Witch for Hire was an exciting ARC for me as I love Ted Naifeh's previous graphics and his fun, slightly sarcastic, storytelling. This however was a little confusing. I didn't feel that the storyline flowed quite well, not that I found the graphic bad but it lacked a bit of content. If this will turn into a series like Courtney Crumrin, then I can overlook the slight holes in story.

Naifeh introduces the reader to a grumpy loner who ends up making friends despite her best efforts. The group must solve a case of supernatural cyber bullying. Overall I enjoyed the story, but I do hope this turns into a series so we can get to know the characters more.
Okay… Listen! I’m a fan of the author’s art style, but the story just felt incomplete. We get a typical beginning, middle(ish) and end, but it’s everything that builds those that feels like there is something lacking.

Honestly, this could have been longer. It felt short for no reason. There is a lot of the book that is shown and not explained. We get no story about all of these side characters. They go from eating lunch together, to being haunted by a cyber-bullying spirit.

Are you confused by my review? Now you understand how I feel.
This was a cute little book that will appeal to younger readers. I sort of wished for more world building and more character development, but I tried to keep in mind that this was meant for a younger crowd. The art was cute, and I really liked the underlying message about bullying.
Thank you NetGalley for the arc I received in exchange for an honest review.

I don't think this graphic novel was long enough to be a fully fleshed out story. There could've easily been 100-150 more pages added to this novel.

The main character, Faye, was unlikable and mean. Every side character was naïve or undeserving of sympathy. Witch for Hire is, unfortunately, not developed enough for me to even write a full review.

The illustrations were interesting, but a little confusing at some points. The font/coloring on my iPad made it nearly impossible for me to read any small text in the novel.

Overall, I just didn't like this book.
I could not finish this. The story line started out mean and trivial and it didn't keep my interest.
Everyone thinks the Loser's Table is where you crash socially, but it's actually where others catch you. Faye Faulkner welcomes high school freshman Cody to the table when Cody's sadistic older sister leaves her nowhere else to go. Soon, Cody is experiencing some supernatural phenomenon that Faye may be able to stop. That pointy hat Faye wears isn't just for show.

As a big fan of Ted Naifeh, this was an easy pick for me. His art is gorgeous and portrays his character's depth of emotion so well. As with Courtney Crumrin, Naifeh's protagonist is an outsider with immense magical abilities. The story also deals with cyberbullying with a magic twist. It turns out evil spirits live on Instagram as well.

This was a fun read, and I can't wait to recommend it to teens and tweens!
Zombos Says: good story and artwork.

Writer and artist Ted Naifeh fashions a cursed creature in the form of a Momo (a nasty meme born from Midori Hayashi's enormous-eyes creature image), which leads to mischief for Faye Faulkner and her new and old friends. Faye is a young witch, more or less, and insists on wearing a conical crown and wide  brimmed hat that tethers her, along with a defiant attitude, to the loser's table in the school cafeteria. Cody reluctantly finds her way to that table after her sister rebuff's her.

Aside from Faye, who holds the warmest seat at that table, there's Julio the dramatic, Jiyoung looking forward to a more accessible learning environment, and Raffi who will eventually own a mansion and a yacht. Even though Cody thinks Faye needs to lose the witch hat to become more acceptable, Cody eventually realizes she has her own issues to deal with; like her mom who was in a bad auto accident; her dad, who's very into himself and his shady business; and her sister, Bryce, who hides a secret better than her nasty disposition.

In flashbacks we learn why Faye acts the way she does. Cody thinks she should help others because of her magical gifts, but Faye disagrees with good reason. A threat to their safety, and that of their friends, moves the disagreement to more perilous footing, and Faye, like many of us have to do at some point in their lives, needs to make a life-changing--or maybe it's a life-affirming--decision. If she can live that long.

Shy_shelbi, an influencer with 2.3 million followers and a personality straight out of the me-me-me 1970s and vanities of the 1908s, just adores bringing all those teen secrets and issues to everyone's tables for a terminal solution. She practically feeds off the emotional turmoil. Before Faye can help anyone she needs to help herself, and Cody provides the catalyst for her to do so. Shy-shelbi has other ideas, though. As Faye struggles with her past and future, Shy-shelbi, who really isn't that shy, keeps Faye's present a stiff challenge.

Naifeh's YA graphic novel takes a page from Midori's creepy image of the Momo, and the Momo's Internet meme-life (almost like another Slenderman) to make the cursed creature, that exists between real and the realm of ideas, a looming threat to everyone. But especially Faye, because she knows what's happening. His storyline then takes more pages from the sturm and drang that anyone who has attended school has felt at one time or another, more so now with social media breathing heaven and hell down everyone's necks, whether you sat at the losers' table or not. Through it all, the bond between Cody and Faye strengthens, gets frayed, and strengthens some more.

Faye must also come to terms with her past, her present, and her future to keep her and that friendship going. One thing: does anyone say Holy Moly! these days? You would think a chemistry teacher could come up with something stronger, especially after his classroom demonstration pops a bit too much. Maybe only in YA graphic novels, then? I could think of more graphic words if shy_shelbi showed up at my table, that's for sure.
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Witch for Hire in exchange for an honest review.

While I really like the idea of which for hire and quite enjoyed the art style, I think this needed to be a tad longer to give the resolution a heavier weight. We get dialogue about characters becoming best friends but don't get many scenes of them being amiable which kind of dilutes the sentiment. We get a few frames of the impact the characters have at their school but no scenes that really show how that transition begins to happen. The villain here was so unique and I'd definitely want to read more of Ted Naifeh's ideas though.