Cover Image: Love Next Door

Love Next Door

***2 Stars***

I’ve really enjoyed many of the books from this author, but this one just didn’t work out for me. I tried a few times to dive in figuring that it was due to the full on book slump I was in, but even with things looking up, I just couldn’t get into this one.

I wish I could have because the small town vibe was strong, but with that said, it felt like the small town and all the O.P.P. (other people's problems) took over Dillion and Van’s journey and in the end I just lost interest in them.

This is one of those times where it is a total “It’s not you, It’s me” thing and I’m just going to let it go as a one and done, move on, and look forward to what the author has coming out in the future.

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~
Love Next Door is the first book in the Lakeside series by Helena Hunting. I'm a huge fan of Helena's and I always look forward to reading her books. I know I’m going to laugh out loud, shed a tear or two, have to fan myself and fall in love with her characters. Dillion left town at eighteen. She didn't want to live in her small hometown anymore and she swore she'd never go back. When her brother gets injured she has to go home to help her family. She starts to like it more than she thought she would especially when she meets her sexy new neighbor. He's not a stranger, but she hasn't seen him in a long time. They don't get off to a great start, but their bickering is just foreplay. Van just inherited his grandma's cottage, a place he visited during the summer when he was young. He always loved this town and what started a short vacation turns into much more. After seeing Dillion again, Van can't help but annoy her on purpose. She's too easy to rile up! After just one kiss they can't seem to stay away from each other. They both have things going on with their families and baggage but they just click. Will Pearl Lake be somewhere they can see themselves long term or will the call of the city be too much? Is Van's grandma scheming from the afterlife? I just loved Van and Dillion. He's smart, sexy and hilarious. She's sassy, smart and tells it like it is. I loved all the little mentions of the Kingstons, Bowmans and other references to our favorite hockey heroes! I can't wait to see who's next in the series!
This small-town romance was so much fun, it was sexy with likable characters that had you rooting for them from their first encounter. Speaking of Dillion and Donovan and their first encounter, it was pretty hilarious and awkwardly uncomfortable. I love a friend to lovers romance that checks off all my boxes. The banter was there, the chemistry was hot and just all the interactions and dialogue were exactly what I want in a book. Helena has a way with her words that just touch me in so many ways, she knows how to make you laugh when you need to, she brings in the drama, the suspense, and intrigue ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Helena Hunting is one of my favorite authors and this is one of my new favorite series. I loved the story and the characters. I cannot wait for the second book to come out.
who’s ready for their next 5 star small town, enemies to lovers romance full of @helenahunting signature wit and of course, the perfect amount of steam? If so, Love Next Door should absolutely be next on your #tbr ! I’m notoriously behind on writing reviews but this book was seriously one of my favorites that I wanted to come do it justice (apologies to the other 130 books I haven’t reviewed yet this year - one day) - Dillion and Van have cemented themselves in my HH hall of fame as one of my favorite couples alongside Alex and Violet, Lance and Poppy, Stevie and Bishop … ok ok we don’t have time for me to list every couple but if you take anything away from this review, it’s that you should READ THIS BOOK. Oh, it’s also the start of a new series so you can guarantee that I’m already begging for book two - and longtime fans of Helena, you might notice a nod to an All In player in this one too
A fun start to a new series that has a lot of potential. I can see several of the secondary characters getting their own story which excites me because I liked them all.

Dillion is a no nonsense woman with a big heart. She cares so much for her family and it shows when she comes back home to help out after her brother gets into an accident. I loved how she stuck up for herself whenever and she wasn’t a pushover. Van turned out to be a nice surprise. I was honestly expecting him to be selfish for the whole story but he’s a good guy. Definitely guarded when he first comes to town but he has a good reason to be.

The story hits all the trope hot spots. Enemies to friends. Friends to lovers. Small town romance with a dash of second chance for Van and Dillion to prove themselves. This story gave me all the small town good feels and I can’t wait to see the series grow and develo
At this point I will read anything Helena Hunting writes because I know I will enjoy it!  Love Next Door is no exception and I am so excited for this new series.  The one thing I love about Helena Hunting's writing is that so many of her series take place in the same "world".  Even though this book has no hockey in it, we still get to see some previous characters.

Dillion returns home to Pearl Lake to help out her parents when her brother is in an accident and after a hilarious meet cute with her neighbors grandson sparks fly.  There's witty banter, amazing side characters and a town you grow to love.  There is discussion of mental health in this book but I appreciated the way it was discussed.  Overall I loved this book and cannot wait for the next one to come out.
Thanks to Montlake for the arc of this book.

A small town romance by one of my favorite authors, yes please!

One sentence review: Love Next Door is an enemies to lovers small town romance that brings some great characters together for a satisfying read.

My thoughts:

- I loved the characters in this one and the sense of family.
- I am a sucker for a small town romance and this one delivers on that promise.
LOVE NEXT DOOR by Helena Hunting was a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 read for me!

One of my absolute favorite tropes is enemies to lovers and these two feuding neighbors did me in!

There was some steam in here and some major swooning!

Dhillon was the perfect feisty, take no crap, heroine. I loved her! And Van…. 🔥🔥🔥. Both of their love for the late Bee, who was van’s grandmother and Dhillon’s neighbor growing up, was so heartwarming. I loved all their stories and memories of her!

I don’t read too many small town romances but I really do need to because I enjoy them so much!

I would highly recommend this one if you are looking for a fun, yet sweet small town romance this summer!
It is no secret that I LOVE the books that Helena Hunting writes. I love her characters, the setting, and all of it. I think I’ve read just about all of her back titles with the exception of a few books from the Pucked series, and the books she has co-written. Yeah, I’m a bit obsessed. Sorry not sorry. I say that to say, this wasn’t my favorite. I mean it was still good, but I didn’t feel the connection to the characters or the setting. The world building wasn’t there for me, and that bummed me out. BUT, the story was good. The characters intrigued me on their own. I am really curious about Dillon’s brother, as that storyline captured my attention. I wanted to know what was going on, and how that all played out for him. Yes there were aspects of Dillon and Van’s story that had me curious, but not enough. I was curious who was framing Van. I was curious who Dillon had been speaking to regarding Bee’s property. I was curious about the summer kiss, from years prior, that Dillon spoke about. But that’s where it ended. Their actual relationship, well I didn’t feel it. It didn’t seem like the characters fit. Maybe it was me, and maybe I didn’t read this story at the right time.
4 'Forever summer love' Stars!
ARC provided via Social Butterfly PR in exchange for an honest review.

I love an author that wants to dip her toes in romance sub-genres / troupes she hasn’t tried yet so I was definitely excited when Helena Hunting announced her new series with Montlake, focused on a small town and its residents. This is not what you would normally expect from Helena, but it still has all the aspects you enjoy in her creations. Get ready to fall in love with Pearl Lake and the sweet and slow burn romance between Van and Dillion!

So, Love Next Door is the first installment in Helena’s new series called Lakeside. This is an enemies-to-lovers / neighbors romance between Dillion Stitch and Donovan “Van” Firestone. These two have a rocky start and every time they face each other, the back and forth between them becomes stronger. However, that “hate” is not the only thing in their way since they find impossible not to act on the tension and chemistry between them. Will their summer romance be only that or have Van and Dillion found their home in each other?

“Do you, Dillion?” The end of his nose brushes my knuckle. “Like what you see, that is.”
Another shiver runs through me. “Tonight, I do.” It’s a breathy whisper.
He peeks up at me and grins. “And before tonight?”
“I was on the fence.”
“What changed?”
“Tonight you showed me the real you.”

I do love a sweet romance from time to time and Helena definitely delivered on that with Love Next Door. This is not her typical style, which leans more towards romcom steamy romance. This was a slow burn, simmering love story that started with two characters “hating” each other and it turns into so much more when they realize they have more in common than either expected. Their connection starts from their relationship with Van’s gram and a cottage full of summer memories. I loved how Helena developed the interactions between these two and also the relationships between families and friends. It definitely got me excited to read more and made me enjoy even more Van and Dillion’s love story. These two were so cute together and I am so glad they found this beautiful connection!

“You’re my person, Dillion. You gave me a reason to put down roots. You make this place home. You’re my summer love that turned into forever.”

Therefore, I am rating Love Next Door with 4 STARS because it was a sugary sweet start to Helena’s new series and a wonderful introduction to this world and characters. I am a sucker for small town romance and this series looks it will be right up my alley! I loved Van and Dillion together, I loved the secondary characters and how this love story was developed. I cannot wait to read more and I hope Teagan’s book is next because I need it after those teasers towards the end!
Love Next Door was my first book by Helena Hunting and I am a fan now! I’m looking forward to the next book in this series and I also plan to pick up more of her books very soon.

I have a soft spot in my heart for small town settings and Pearl Lake is the quintessential small, lakeside town. I loved it and I wanted to purchase my own lakeside cottage pronto. I was so interested to learn that the series is based on the author’s family lake cottage in Canada and I found myself looking up similar cottages and getting some major wanderlust!

I was so captivated with Dillon and Van from their first awkward encounter all the way through the progression of their relationship. In addition to the romance, there was family drama and a little mystery mixed in! It was the perfect balance of open door steamy scenes and a Hallmark-style storyline!

Thank you so much to Amazon Publishing and Netgalley for my gifted copies! All opinions are my own.
3.5/5 Stars

This story follows Dillon and Donovan, “Van” for short. The setting for this story is outside the city life, where both characters move from. Dillion is back in her hometown, where everyone knows her business and she isn’t too keen on being back at first.

I think this is a sweet story between the characters, however, it wasn’t a magical connection like I’ve experienced with other Hunting novels in the past for me. I wasn’t super committed to what was going to happen and I found some of the transitions to be a little rushed, while others were drawn out more than necessary.

I think overall this isn’t a stressful read. Dillon is a strong female character and she is good at knowing what she wants. Van isn’t one to lead Dillon on and I liked that dynamic between them.

Overall it’s a simple read but something was lacking for me overall.

ARC provided for an honest review.
Helena is an auto-buy author for me and this is another example of why. Helena wrote the perfect contemporary romance with emotion, laughs, and steam. I can't wait to read more from her.
This was a good quick read, it has its heartfelt moments and definitely some funny banter.
Between the half of the book It was moving a bit slow and predictable for me, but I did enjoy it.
Donovan and Dillon are great characters that had their share of thing going on in their lives and once they really got on the right foot they where sweet and fun together.
Great enemies to lovers, small town read. If you enjoy this tropes you will definitely devour this one.
Helena Hunting's writing never fails when it comes to angsty main characters who fall in love in spite of their emotional baggage. This is an easy to read contemporary romance and the slow burn relationship between Van and Dillion tugged on my heartstrings.
This is a small town romance with a simple story dashed with undeniable chemistry between Dillion & Van and a hint of mystery . Been in a reading slump but surprisingly read this in one sitting cause I wanted to know if my guess to the questions I have as I read it was right, which was wrong btw lol. 🙈

This is a perfect summer read. It’s light, not steamy tbh (unlike her Pucked series, all time fave btw 🤣) It’s somewhat predictable for me and I just don’t really enjoy nosy small town kind of people so annoying but it adds fuel to the book. Don’t get me wrong, I still love a good small town romance. Those that got homey feeling and childhood neighbor crushes. Highly recommended. Read it before summer ends or whenever really haha.
Love Next Door  is a wonderful story and a perfect summer read.  This story is very subtle…the slow burn of a enemies to friendship to lovers, the recognization of a childhood crush finally materialized so many years later and the type of love that doesn’t allow them to stay apart.

This story was just so enjoyable.  Dillion moves home to help her family out during a hard time.  Van moves to town after her inherits his aunts house.  They start out as enemies with the most incredible banter and wit while they argue with each other where it is so obvious that their chemistry is off the charts.  They don’t really realize it but you can tell their pull to each other is something that can’t be ignored.  But they slowly move to friends and more as they start to get to know each other and develop feelings. I loved how they were with each other…playful and caring.

Like I said earlier this story is subtle….there is some family drama for both Dillion and Van which had me invested in both of their storylines; however, I liked that their story wasn’t too angsty and that I was just swept away in a beautiful love story.  The setting was wonderful, the small town feelings made me think of where I live in New York (on a big lake too) and this is a story that very softly burrowed its way into my heart.
Small town romance with a huge heart...
The first in a new series from Ms Hunting and I really enjoyed getting to know these new characters.
Dillion has come back to her childhood home to help her family out for a few months.... Van has inherited his Grandmas house right next door....as sparks fly and chemistry fizzes will these two stop their bickering long enough to see what’s right there?
Loved this pair....their banter and then friendship was really great to read.  A little suspense story running along side which kept my interest, some moments where I was thinking ‘seriously?’ and some fun interactions that had me speculating who might be next to share their story.
Small town, gentle romance with heat and heart....a perfect beach read.
This was a really awesome story and romance about two very different people who come from very different families but who loved the same woman, Bee.

Bee was a grandmother to Donavan, Bradford and Teagan but the only one who really visited her was Van. Dillon or as Bee called her, Lynnie lived next door and she loved Bee so much, more as a close confidant and best friend. So when Bee dies, Van comes back to town and Dillon is the executer of her estate.

This was not the most romantic book in the world. I adored Dillon and Van's romance and how they are there for each other and both loved Bee so much. What I loved in this story is the family love. I loved Billy, and how he needs his sister to help him get the help he needs. I loved that Dillon realises that everything she wants has always been there right where she left it. And I loved how Van's family fights for him and tries help him as things start happening that point to someone after what Bee left him.

This story is about love and family and that if they have your back well then you have everything. Its a fun, flirty and wonderful story but it also deals with some more serious issues like death, and mental health.