Cover Image: Last Girl Ghosted

Last Girl Ghosted

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this book. The premise sounded so intriguing. Online dating came after I found my husband, so it had me all the more interested to see what it was all about. This was also my first book by Lisa Unger, and I can say, that I absolutely loved it. It started off really strong and had me sucked in from the beginning. The section beginners were a tad confusing at first, but I think that was more to the fact that I was reading on an e-reader and being able to quickly flip back and reference something is not an option. Once I understood the section starters I really appreciated it though. It added a different perspective. I was able to sort out one of the main twists about 2/3 of the way through and for me that's pretty good. Through out the whole thing I was on the edge of my seat, guessing, anticipating, waiting, and I'm so glad and thankful for the opportunity I had to read this book. I felt like the end could have been a bit stronger, but as a whole I was ok with how things ended up. My one gripe, might be the font size for the e-reader version, the print was so incredibly tiny, though again, not sure if that was just the arc version I got or if it will be the actual book size. I will gladly pick up more of Lisa's books though and can't wait to get caught up on her backlist!

Trigger Warnings:
Abduction, Abuse, Assault, Language, Stalking, Murder, Drinking, PTSD, Mental Illness, Trauma Loss, Animal Death, School Shooting, Gun Violence, Sexual Assault and Attempted, Toxic Relationships, Talk of Drug Use, Fire Claims Lives, Pregnancy
This book fell a little flat for me after a strong start.  I'm a fan of the unreliable narrator; not so much a fan of main characters who make questionable choices that lead them into dangerous situations.  As a result, I wasn't a fan of Wren, who really seemed to have some amazing people who loved and supported her, and yet she ignored all their (practical) advice in favour of her own (stupid) decision-making.

Dual timeframes / plot lines can be tricky because inevitably one suffers when compared to the other.  I liked the present day story better than Wren's backstory; I liked the secondary characters better than the main one; and I would have preferred to know more about Mia, Melissa, and Bonnie, who seemed way more interesting than Wren at the end of the day.

The story jumped the shark a little for me when Wren made the ultimate decision to head out on her own, but at that point of the book I was pretty much over Wren, so it really didn't matter.
Loved the multiple stories and timelines. It’s suspenseful and engaging I couldn’t put it down. Would love to see this as a movie someday!
I was engrossed by this fast-paced, unique, thrilling and suspenseful story from start to finish! This book has an interesting, intricate plot and carefully-drawn, believable characters. I loved Jax, Bailey, Jones, Wren and Jay. As usual with Lisa Unger’s books, I just couldn’t put this one down!

Big thanks to NetGalley for my gifted e-copy.
Last Girl Ghosted is creepy and twisted and horrifying, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think i would have enjoyed it more had there not been so many flashbacks setting up Wren’s story. They detracted from the pace and i found myself speed reading through to get to back to the action.
This is the first Lisa Unger book I have read. I was really hooked by the plot and quickly got sucked into the wonderful writing and story at the beginning of the book. As the last quarter of the book unfolded though I felt things just get a little confusing and hard to follow/not as interesting as I had hoped it would be. I will definitely give her other books a chance and am looking forward to reading more from this author.
I really loved the premise of this one, because it seems really realistically terrifying; an apparent connection between an identical dating profile posted under different names and girls who have gone missing. The whole play on Ghosted has several layers that come to light as the book goes on; it's really clever- I love it when authors are able to do that kind of thing.

Wren's backstory was really tragic and sad; the drip by drip way we're fed information as the story unfolds was enthralling. At points in time, you're not really sure what really happened and what is a figment of Wren's imagination, which for me kept me guessing until the very end.

I did think that the pacing on this one was a bit slow and drawn out at times; by the end, I saw why most things were included in the story, but while I was in the middle of it, it sometimes was hard to understand why it was being included.

I'll definitely have to go back and read Confessions on the 7:45 now and will keep an eye out for future releases from Lisa in the future!
The concept of Last Girl Ghosted hooked me immediately. If you have done any online dating, this storyline will feel familiar. Who hasn't been ghosted? But for Wren, unusual things start happening next. This book definitely kept me guessing. The tone of the book changes a bit in the middle as Wren heads to the home she has avoided for so long, and her backstory is slowly revealed. Overall an interesting and engaging read that kept me guessing until the end!

She met him through a dating app. An intriguing picture on a screen, a date at a downtown bar. What she thought might be just a quick hookup quickly became much more. She fell for him—hard. It happens sometimes, a powerful connection with a perfect stranger takes you by surprise. Could it be love?

But then, just as things were getting real, he stood her up. Then he disappeared—profiles deleted, phone disconnected. She was ghosted.

Maybe it was her fault. She shared too much, too fast. But isn't that always what women think—that they're the ones to blame? Soon she learns there were others. Girls who thought they were in love. Girls who later went missing. She had been looking for a connection, but now she's looking for answers. Chasing a digital trail into his dark past—and hers—she finds herself on a dangerous hunt. And she's not sure whether she's the predator—or the prey.
This was my first Lisa Unger book, and I became hooked and read 2 more after this one. She has the ability to really draw the reader into the story.
I am always on the hunt for a good thriller and was hopeful this would be one, but for me, it was not.

Last Girl Ghosted is about Wren who decides to start online dating and is quickly matched with Adam. They immediately click and fall into a whirlwind romance until he suddenly disappears.

Wren is approached by a private investigator who tells her that he suspects Adam isn’t who he says he is and is actually responsible for the disappearances of several other women before her.
Wren feels betrayed and assists with the investigation into Adam to figure out who he really is and where he went.  All the while battling the feelings she still has for him.

The book jumps back and forth between the present and Wren’s past and explains what happened to her when she was younger.

The idea of this book was much better than the execution of it.  This book felt way too long and repetitive. There were also SO many things that didn’t make sense or add up.  The things Adam did were fairly implausible and the fact no one had caught him but he stayed in the same area, just made me roll my eyes.  I was into the book for the first half, but by the second half it just lost believability and my interest.

Overall this book was incredibly disappointing to me and was too long with way too many holes. This is not one I would recommend

Rounded down from 2.5 stars
This started off strongly but seemed to get a little strange. The premise is interesting - Wren’s best friend convinces her to try meeting guys on a dating app called 𝘛𝘰𝘳𝘤𝘩. On one of the dates she meets Adam and the two connect right away. Things are progressing rather quickly so Wren opens up to Adam about a secret from her past but after that Adam is no where to be found. He doesn’t show up for their date the next day and all she gets is a simple text and nothing more. He’s gone. He has ghosted her.⁣
⁣
Just when Wren thinks things couldn’t get worse, a private detective shows up telling her that Adam is not the man she believed him to be and may be connected with the disappearance of three women. Sounds intriguing, right?! Yeah I thought so too but then it didn’t progress in the way I hoped. Had the execution been just a little different, I think I would have enjoyed the entire book but it continued to get stranger and stranger.⁣
⁣
Please don’t get me wrong, it was not bad but for me it just didn’t live up to 𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝟽:𝟺𝟻 which I loved. Still worth the read!
🎧BOOK REVIEW🎧 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
PUB DATE: Oct 5 2021 / 13 hours 28 min

I've read several books by this author and what I enjoy most is the subtle supernatural undertones she adds. And I love the atmosphere of the Hollows! It's the perfect blend of creepiness and comfort.

When I began reading “Last Girl Ghosted”, I felt a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the book started great, but it didn't have the same feel as Unger’s previous books. I should have known there was no need to worry!

I feel lucky that I've never had to experience the world of online dating. Especially with the books I read! Wren isn't real excited about it either, but her friend Jax pushes her to get out. And she finally meets someone she connects with. The feelings are mutual and the relationship moves along quickly until he disappears without a trace. But he leaves her a cryptic message, so she can't leave it alone.

This book turned out to be a roller coaster ride of thrills! I listened to the audiobook and there wasn't a dull moment. I was ecstatic when Unger took us back to the dark and eerie Hollows! If you haven't read her books yet, you are missing out!

Thanks to NetGalley and Park Row Books/Harlequin Trade Publishing for this audiobook. All opinions are my own.

#lastgirlghosted #lisaunger #netgalley #parkrowbooks #htpinfluencer #tbrbingo2021 #psychologicalthriller #bookreview #inexchangeforreview #justfinishedreading #thrillerbookaddict #bookaholic #booknerd #lovebooks #compulsivereader #fortheloveofreading #ilovereading #favoriteauthor #coloradobookstagrammer #coloradoreader #readingintherockies #lovebooks #bookishlife #booksbooksandmorebooks #readabook #mustread
This was everything a thriller is supposed to be. It had suspense, intrigue, and it made me feel like I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Lisa Unger is so thorough in her writing that it is mind blowing. I would LOVE an opportunity to take a peek inside her head and see how she comes up with ideas for her stories and puts them together. Simply amazing!
I had high hopes for this book. The premise hooked me at once: Wren meets Adam through a dating app, and things are going really well, but then he totally ghosts her. She thinks perhaps it's because she's shared too much of her past with him, but then a private investigator, Bailey, shows up, and Wren learns that Adam has ghosted other women before, and that these women went missing shortly after.

And for the first half, I was into it. Unger sets the story in early 2020, just as the COVID-19 pandemic is starting to reach international consciousness. Considering how dramatically the world of dating changed during the pandemic, having it loom over the future of Wren and Adam's relationship added an exciting bit of tension to the story. I also liked the little hints dropped about Wren's traumatic past, and how much she'd done to reinvent herself and leave her old self completely behind.

I was a little less into how Wren seems to associate online dating with being lonely and desperate; so many people are dating online now that, especially in early 2020, it seems a rather retrograde stigma, but fine -- it wasn't enough of an annoyance to turn me off. And I did like how it fit thematically with Wren's character -- she works as an advice columnist for folks with rather serious problems, and she says that it's her own vulnerability and trauma that makes her good at her job, so that ties in really well with the loneliness and desperation that she says got her into online dating.

It was in the second half that the book really began to drag for me. Wren's search for Adam was interspersed with flashbacks of her childhood -- basically, her father was a doomsday conspiracist who forced their family to live in the woods, and his paranoia sometimes turned violent. So, it's a compelling story, and the guilt Wren carries with her as a result of a traumatic incident is a compelling bit of character building. But there were a LOT of flashbacks, which just bored me after a while. There was a thread about a friend Wren makes in the woods, that I presume was intended to highlight her psychological state, but while it was a significant part of Wren's character, I thought it was handled confusingly, and ultimately got lost in all the clutter about their lives in the woods.

Wren's motivations also felt unclear to me. At first, I could see she wanted to find Adam because she wanted to know why he ghosted her, but then her feelings seem to change partway through, as do her reasons for wanting to find Adam. The reasons behind the shift were muddy enough, but mostly, I wasn't sure what she wanted to achieve anymore. Similarly, she goes from wanting Bailey to leave her alone, to wanting to help with his investigation, and at some point, she decides to go rogue and find Adam on her own. Her motivations have a lot more to do with her desire to find Adam than her desire to help Bailey, so the flip-flopping makes a kind of sense, but I just had to pause reading every so often and ask "Why?"

The book spent so much time building up Wren's childhood and the events that led to her present, yet, to me, didn't spend nearly enough effort in developing the present-day narrative. I don't necessarily mind books with unreliable narrators, but often, those narrators have clearly defined logic for their actions; it's only the reveal that reframes our understanding of this logic. In this case, Wren seems less an unreliable narrator than a muddled one, as if the author tried to cram so much in, but didn't quite make all of it fit.

I did finish the book, mostly because I was genuinely curious about what Adam had to do with the missing women, and was hoping that the answer to that question would make everything click together. For that reason, I found the climactic reveal the most frustrating of all. Similar to the flashbacks of Wren's childhood, the villain's backstory fits in thematically with the rest of the book, but doesn't quite provide the "Aha!" moment of clarity I'd hoped for. The villain's connection to Wren is doled out sparingly over several pages, in a way that felt more frustrating than suspenseful. And then there was a dramatic finish to a confrontation that just honestly took me right out of the book completely. I'm all for suspending disbelief while reading thrillers, but that resolution was just, to me, taking several steps too far in the name of drama.

Overall, this book had a solid start, but a frustrating, disappointing end.

Thank you to Park Row for an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
Wren Greenwood should have swiped left. Online dating definitely has its pitfalls and Wren may have fallen into each and every one of them. Pressured by her best friend Jax, they make an online profile for her. Wren is successful in her career as an advice columnist, but not so lucky in love. She swipes right and meets Adam Harper. At first drawn to his profile, then when they meet Wren learns that the connection goes far deeper. But then, Adam disappears. Ghosted her.

The intensity of this book starts early on. Perhaps it is because it is written in first person, so we are looking at things through Wren's eyes. Reading her thoughts. This is especially intense because Adam suddenly disappears and we see how determined Wren is to locate him. In fact, as we read Wren's words, they are rather creepy - you don't get to ghost me.

Wren isn't playing around. Where is Adam? Okay, so she can't find him on her own, so she goes so far as to hire a PI. She will find Adam. However, as soon as her search grows deeper she learns a disturbing fact. Adam isn't who she thought he was. In fact, he has had a different name. He has dated other women, women who hae disappeared. What is going on?

The narrative was disturbing. The facts were disturbing - whether past or present. In fact, Wren was disturbing. How come she didn't let things go? Why did she have to pursue things to the extent in which she did? What layers were surrounding Wren that she had to go so far to look for Adam?

Well, that is where this book takes many a dark turn. In fact, it touches on so many serious issues my head was spinning. To name a few, trauma, PTSD, drug addiction, pyromania, and just so much more. I found this to be a compelling read from start to finish, especially once the title, Last Girl Ghosted, took on real meaning. So, imagine if Wren had swiped left...

Many thanks to Park Row and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
I should have written the review right away. I didn't and now I cannot remember many specifics, which to me means that it was not that great.
If one could award half stars, I would give Last Girl Ghosted 3.5 instead of 3.  I just can't put my finger on it, but something was "off" enough to keep me from giving it 4 stars.  Worth the read, though!
Five star READ!!!

I have not felt this great after reading a thriller I’m awhile. It was so well written and grabbed my attention from the very start. I really enjoyed this creepy atmosphere and definitely recommend this book!

So good!!!
✨Book Review✨

Last Girl Ghosted by Lisa Unger

⚠️Trigger Warnings: abduction, assault, stalking, abuse.

✨What I liked: this book was so well written, and had just the right amount of creepy vibes! It definitely gave me some goosebumps along the way. Throughout the book, the main character Wren makes some terrible decisions that’s are anger inducing, but it works for the plot. For myself, the ending was the perfect amount of surprise! This was a slow burn with the right amount of excitement to keep you reading!

✨What didn’t work for me: I could have done with out the references to covid. There wasn’t very many, but when I’m reading I like to escape from the current world, and I felt like the references were out of place and unnecessary.

Thank you to @hbgcanada @harpercollinsca for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
This is my second Lisa Unger book I have read and I’m not sure if I enjoyed it as much as Confessions on the 7:45.

It was an interesting concept however with the risks of online dating and social media, which I guess gave it a creepy vibe since this is common now. The chapter setup was a little bit confusing for me, as it just seemed off for some reason, but then you quickly get the hang of it.

I lost a little bit of interest near the end but of course I kept reading so I could know what was going on!