Cover Image: Last Girl Ghosted

Last Girl Ghosted

Wren is a woman with a past. She is quite happy with her few friends and her job writing an advice column called "Dear Birdie". She is quite well off financially, but her best friend Jax thinks she needs to date. She convinces her to set up a profile on TORCH an app that is more for hookups than actual dating. Wren agrees and meets, Adam. He is everything she has always wanted in a man, funny, caring, loving, and she falls for him. When he fails to show up to meet her one night, she begins her own little investigation and finds out that he has disappeared and everything he told her appears to have been a lie. She has been ghosted. Why? Where is he now? She wants to find him and figure out what is going on. It leads her to her past, and a place she left with the intention of never returning.

I liked Wren. She was real, damaged, tragic, yet caring, loyal and smart. She meets Bailey Kirk, who is also tracking Adam. He is a PI who has been hired to find Mia Thorpe, the last hookup Adam had on Torch, who has disappeared without a trace. I am not going to say anything else about the plot. This is a story that can be confusing if you don't pay attention. Ivy's story switches between her past and present and fortunately, the chapters are titled so you know which time period you are in. Wren had a tough past and as you read, you learn who she was before she became Wren. She is in danger and makes mistakes along the way, but she was perseverant and wanted to get to the bottom of what Adam was going. There were some twists and one huge one that had me listening to this story long into the night. There was a certain amount of spooky atmospheric tension that added to that chilling feeling. Wren is the main narrator, but there are some chapters told from Bailey's POV. This caused a bit of repetition, but it was not enough to turn me off. The one thing that had me hooked is that these things do happen, fake identities, ghosting, stealing funds etc. If I were to classify this one, I would say it is a Domestic Drama/Psychological Thriller. If you enjoy Lisa Unger's writing, and I do, this is a dark, moody, twisty story that I enjoyed.
Amazing. Wonderful. Awesome. I can not say enough great things about this book. I love the story line and the main character. I loved the back story of each of the taken and murdered girls. I love the thought provoking ideas of what not to do when meeting someone online.
Great story, fast paced, quick read.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the early read!

Wren Greenwood meets Adam on a dating app.  She hadn’t had much luck in the past, but Adam seems different.  They are getting closer, spending more time together, and one night Wren tells Adam one of her secrets. The next day, Adam disappears.  Ghosts her – accounts deleted, phone number disconnected.  Then a private detective shows up at her door, asking questions.  It seems that other girls have disappeared, all after meeting Adam online.  It seems like a typical thriller set-up, but there is a twist.  Wren has her own secrets.  She is hiding from an infamous past (in fact she knows a thing or two about scrubbing yourself off the internet), she is still mourning the loss of her family, and she is hiding herself in a self-help column and podcast called Dear Birdie.  Turns out that she is not Adam’s typical victim.  He may have thought she was just like the other girls – vulnerable, rich, ready to leave the busy technical world behind  - but she is very different.  Her past, which she has tried so hard to forget, is coming back in unexpected ways and it is going to help her be the "last girl ghosted."  If you have not read Lisa Unger before, I would recommend her.  She wrote the unreliable narrator before Gillian Flynn made it a trend.  If you like Flynn, or Paula Hawkins, Ruth Ware, Alice Feeney, then give Lisa Unger a try.
Let me begin by saying that I am a longtime fan of Lisa Unger.  Huge.  I will pick up anything she writes, and I have loved all of her books to date.

With that said, I’m sorry to say that I just didn’t love Last Girl Ghosted.  It started out so strong, and I was completely invested in Wren’s story.  Why did Adam ghost her? What is going on?

However, about halfway through the story my interest dwindled.  The action and suspense did pick up near the end, but I just couldn’t get on board with the turn the storytelling had taken.

A couple of points:

🌿The decisions Wren made were nonsensical, and it’s hard to imagine anyone with any amount of good sense would behave this way.

🌿The conclusion, in my opinion, was completely improbable and entirely trite – dare I say corny?

On a more positive note, I did enjoy the foreshadowing that hinted at the pandemic to come.  It was eye-opening to look back on those pre-virus days and view our hopefulness/denial for what it was.

With all that said, this is only one reader’s opinion.  I am most likely an outlier, but I do want to always be honest in my reviews.  Although I can’t say I’d recommend this particular book, I do still wholeheartedly recommend Lisa Unger as an author, and I will be eagerly awaiting her next book.  I’m still a huge fan.
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of twists and turns, and a heroine who has a definite dark side. I enjoyed all the unique characters and the traumatic back story that doesn't fall into a lot of the popular tropes I've been seeing in books lately. Quite dark throughout, but with lots of good psychological elements that are analyzed with more complexity than lots of mystery/thrillers. Lisa Unger has delivered another winner.
Lisa Unger is one of my favourite authors and Last Girl Ghosted is one of her best!
"Think Twice Before You Swipe"
For many years Wren attempts to overcome a horrific childhood trauma. With her life finally on track her best friend Jax insists she try online dating.
Attracted to his picture on screen, a date at a downtown bar, a quick hookup quickly becomes more. A powerful connection has then seeing each other every day for 3 months and then he ghosts her.
Not willing to let go of this perfect stranger Wren begins looking for answers and quickly discovers every aspect of his life has been deleted. She is contacted by a private investigator who is also looking for him and is told she is one among several women who have met him online, dated him and then they have gone missing.
What ensues is a fast paced, thrilling game of cat and mouse.
Last Girl Ghosted is an exceptional psychological thriller!

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin - Trade Publishing/Park Row for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
I do like Lisa Unger, but I just couldn't get into Last Girl Ghosted. I enjoyed the premise , but did not like the use of the second person POV ("you" referring to Adam, who ghosts, Wren).  I found it very distracting. I will recommend Unger, but just not this book
This was not your typical online dating gone awry! When she meets him through an app and everything seems perfect only leading to the day when he suddenly disappears- this is a slippery cat and mouse game with the motivation laying in her past.
I absolutely loved this book! I could not put it down. This story of Wren who decided to join the dating world through an online app. She met Adam who she felt comfortable enough with to reveal some past secrets. Then he ghosted her. He disappeared without a trace. She finds out she is not the first one he has done this to. She is now trying to find out the truth in this dangerous game that is being played.

I liked the dual timelines lines because it allowed me to really learn about Wren’s last.

I did not expect the ending though….

Thank you to Harper Collins Canada for my advanced readers copy for my honest review.
BOOK REVIEW:  Last Girl Ghosted by Lisa Unger

So many times in this story I found myself thinking of the numerous suspense movies I have watched when I would say to the character "why are you doing that?!"... I'm not sure the balance of making the risk decision between "yes or no" was met for me personally. But I did find it intriguing to read where that balance line was and why for these characters... ✨😎✨

T.I.M.E. Most Anticipated Books of 2021

Genre:  Thriller
Sub-Genre:  Psychological Thriller | Online Dating
Time Period:  Contemporary
Location:  New York City | The Hollow (Upstate NY)

IF YOU LIKE THIS BOOK THEN TRY…
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

--------------------

All my reviews can be seen at This Is My Everybody | Books, Lifestyle & Home Ideas for Simple Living | Denise Wilbanks at www.thisismyeverybody.com

♡ Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. I voluntarily chose to review it and the opinions contained within are my own.
Man, the first third of this book was definitely a 5 star read for me, and then the plot began to drag a bit and become simultaneously underwhelming and unbelievable. The many different plot threads were confusing and underdeveloped, and the explanation of who Adam is and how he ties in with Wren felt... unnecessary? Lisa Unger is a fabulous author and I will always read her books, but this one was a miss for me.
Wren Greenwood is persuaded by her best friend to sign up for a dating app. Wren has everything she needs but that special someone. When she meets Adam, the two of them form an instant connection. Everything is going perfectly until Adam vanishes and soon after, his online presence does as well. After a visit from a PI, Wren finds out that this isn't the first time Adam has done this, but the other girls he's done this too have also all vanished. Will Wren be the "last girl ghosted"?

I really enjoyed this book, though at times I confused a couple of the storylines. Unlike many other thrillers these days and their predictable plots, I had no idea which way this would go. I found the ending satisfying and really recommend this book for readers who are tired of cookie-cutter thrillers.
What a thriller! I started last night and got to chapter 10 and then finished this evening.

First, this book solidified my distrust of dating apps. What happened to Wren is terrifying and all too common. This was much more than just a "dating app gone wrong" story. The plot was so deeply layered, so complex, the story bouncing from then to now, that it made me painfully aware of my own layers and the things I keep hidden. There were so many subtleties, so many nuances, that at times the storyline seemed almost philosophical. A spot-on portrayal of the best and worst of human nature.

I couldn't put this one down. Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me this ARC.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

How could I not be intrigued? Think twice before you swipe? Yes, please. This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and it did not disappoint.

My thoughts:
This one went in a completely different direction than what I was thinking it would at the start - but I really enjoyed how the story played out. The story that Lisa unfolds is multi-faceted with so many layers, just like all the characters in this book (that you'll either love or hate!) I always enjoy when a book makes me really think about things philosophically, and this one did while also being entertaining and twisty. This book is a dark, disturbing mystery that'll be a perfect fall read with its October pub day. This one is about so much more than a dating app match gone wrong, and it will stay with me for quite some time.
Last Girl Ghosted was a very strange read to me.  I’m not quite sure where the author was wanting to go with it.  I always enjoy Lisa Unger’s books but could not connect to this one.
So many things in the story were just confusing.  The beginning started out so intriguing and then just fell flat.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

You can read all of my reviews at Nerd Girl Loves Books.

This was a good contemporary mystery/thriller about a woman that joined a dating app, met a boy, fell in love, trusted the boy, was ghosted by the boy, then discovered the boy's dark secrets.

Wren had a troubled childhood but came out stronger. She anonymously writes an advice column for people with serious problems, and also has a companion podcast where she discusses the letters she answers. She has a safe and comfortable life.

Wren hasn't had a serious relationship in a long time and her best friend convinces her to try a dating app. After a couple of meaningless nights with dates, she matches with Adam. He is serious and intense and Wren's connection with him is instantaneous. The pair see each other almost every night and Wren sees a future with him. One night Wren shares her dark past with Adam and she feels even closer to him. The next day, however, Adam tells her that something has happened and he has to leave. Now. Before she knows what's happened, Adam disappears from her life as quickly as he dropped into it.

As Wren tries to reconnect with Adam, she is approached by a private investigator who is also looking for Adam, but for very different reasons. Other girls are missing that were connected to him. Wren is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding Adam - or whatever his name is - and find out what happened to the missing girls. But will she end up missing herself?

The book started out really well and had me hooked. Once the book changed to a cat and mouse game between Wren, the private investigator and Adam, however, I think it lost a bit of focus. The book deals with some heavy subjects, including physical and mental abuse. There were times when the book was down right creepy, and that is a good thing. It's also set at the very beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, so that added to the scary atmosphere of the book.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and recommend you read it. I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and Park Row. All opinions are my own.
Lots of people are going to love Lisa Unger’s new book!

The beginning grabbed me but as it went on there was much eye rolling. For an advice columnist Wren isn’t very good at taking her own. The middle dragged on. It did pick up at towards the end and I wanted to find out what in the world was going on. Loose ends are tied up but the end was still a bit disappointing. The writing was good enough that I will try another by this author.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
This book was intriguing from very early on. I had a feeling from the title that it would be about online dating and that was an accurate guess. I was really on board for how the story was unfolding, including the flashbacks to Wren's childhood intermixed with the rest of the story. A lot of the story was told in a way that was reminiscent of the You novels by Caroline Kepnes. The end went a little off the rails for me though. I love a twisty and convoluted story as much as anyone, but I felt weird about this ending. I enjoyed the wild ride, though, and I really got to enjoy most of the characters. I'd recommend this one to people who have considered online dating and aren't afraid of reading about the absolute worst case scenario.
This was my first book from Lisa Unger, though I've frequently seen her books. After I finished Last Girl Ghosted, I wonder why I waited so long to give her a try!

This story has so many different elements working at once. I really liked Wren's character--she had a lot of mystery surrounding her background, but that is what kept things interesting. The use of an app to meet someone with the intentions of being casual, but ending up entranced was great.

There were a few things I didn't like--mainly I wonder about connections between some of the characters and their intentions, but I still enjoyed the story.

Overall, this book was really good. 4.5 stars rounded to 5. Thank you NetGalley and Park Row for my e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
I'm really growing fond of Lisa Unger.  I was rooting for this protagonist (and Bailey Kirk!) from the beginning. I couldn't stand Adam (or whatever name he was using at any given time), and couldn't wait for his day of reckoning.... and couldn't have been more thrilled with how that turned out. I really loved the ending, which let you know that happy new beginnings were on the way.... Well written and just so dang good. I absolutely see this being a best seller.