Cover Image: A Song of Flight

A Song of Flight

I was not a fan of this installment of the series. I really struggled to get through A Song of Flight. The plot did not keep me engaged. I don’t think all the different narratives helped either. Many of the narrators proved to be weaker and less interesting than others. Aolu’s chapters, especially, felt entirely unnecessary. The story was much stronger once they all joined up again towards the end. But by then, the book was over. The ending just felt rushed.

Also, the crow people plot line was always my least favorite thing about the series, and, unfortunately, it was the main plot point for A Song of Flight. I far preferred the second installment.

I’m sad I didn’t enjoy this one. Marillier’s books are consistently great reads, but this one just did not do it for me.
Song of Flight is the final book in the Warrior Bards series and I believe it is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy tying up the story lines of the mysterious Crow Folk; how they came to be in this world, why they are here, what they are searching for and how to save them.

Liobahn and Dau have found their way to one another and while living on an Island of warriors trained to run secret missions isn’t totally conducive to a having a relationship, they are figuring out what it means to them. They are also finding out how hard it is to be separated when they have to go on missions separately.

Liobahn is training one of the new Swan Island warriors, but as always, she lets instinct guide her, even when it goes against all of the Swan Island trainings. She has a knack for getting into trouble but she also is great at going with her intuition and seeing where it takes her. This time it will take her to the origin story of the Crow Folk and how she can help to set them free.

Dau has been sent to look for the prince who has gone missing. He is undercover n a court trying to find out if some lore of the land might lead him to a door to the fae realm where the prince might have ended up. What he finds is a terrible plan that will use the Crow Folk for war and sever any hope they have of finding the redemption they need.

Brocc ah my poor Brocc, I feel the most for this character caught between two worlds and just trying to find a way to save both his child and the Crow Folk. He has an arduous trial ahead of him and risks all he has left in order to fulfill his destiny. He will lose much in the path the fates have set before him.

A few of the new characters the Prince Aulo and Liobahn’s other brother Galen also get much page time in the story. The best part of that is we get to go back to Liobahn’s home and see Blackthorn and Grimm. I have missed them since their story ended and I loved seeing the life they built together and what it looked like years later.

This is a story of sacrifice and redemption. Old enemies come back to cause trouble and new ones arise and all of our characters will play a role in making right some old wrongs. Highly entertaining and a well thought out conclusion to the story.
A great conclusion to The Warrior Bards trilogy!
In this final book we continue to follow our three main POVs of Liobhan, Brocc, and Dau as they search for a missing prince, try to figure out the mystery of the Crow Folk, and discover a more sinister plot than they expected.
********************
A prince has disappeared under mysterious circumstances involving the Crow Folk and a group of unknown men. Galen, Liobhan and Brocc’s older brother and the prince’s guard, was injured in the attack and is determined to find the prince.
The Swan Island warriors are brought in to find the prince. As they follow a lead which forces Dau to go undercover, he becomes more convinced that the uncanny may be involved in the disappearance.  Meanwhile, Liobhan is tasked with training a new member of Swan Island, and Brocc is struggling to balance his family in the Fae world with his mission to understand and connect with the Crow Folk.
As always Marillier’s writing is beautiful, atmospheric, and magical as she draws both characters and settings with care. I loved getting to catch up Blackthorn and Grim and learning more about their lives and family since their series. And we get to meet Galen! I wish that Galen had been in the story more (the prince too) because, although the prince’s disappearance and their search for him is the catalyst for the story, it ends up taking a backseat to the Crow Folk plot and feels a little disconnected. That being said, I almost wish the Galen/prince plot had been its own book because I think there was enough there and likable enough characters to have their own story.
In this book the three main characters are split up for the majority of the book which meant we didn’t get as much interaction between those main characters which I missed. However, it did mean we got to see the various pieces, plots, mysteries, and motives slowly come together as we discover how everything is connected. Which is always satisfying!
We also got more of a focus on Dau and Brocc’s POVs and I’m glad we did! In the previous books I found Brocc a little boring, but his character really came alive in this one as we got to see him struggling with his conflicting priorities. We also get to learn more about the Crow Folk who have been very mysterious up until this point.
In comparison to the other books in the series, the second book is still my favorite as it is the darkest and most emotional of the trilogy, but A Song of Flight is a great conclusion the trilogy! I gave it four stars.
I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley (although I bought and read my own physical copy). All opinions are my own.
I have been a fan of Juliet Marillier's Warrior Bards series since the first book, The Harp of Kings. I give thumbs up to the world-building, the character development, the challenges posed to characters, and journeys taken. This third and final book in the series concluded well, and may have even been a skosh more gripping than its predecessors. And as with Marillier's Blackthorn and Grim series, the Warrior Bards can easily lead into a series starring the next generation -- with Brocc's half-human, half-fey daughter, Niamh leading the charge. I'm all in.

[Thanks to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for an opportunity to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for my opinion.]
I am such a sucker. I prefer to project a life of easy happiness on my favorite characters. But this author pulls that rug out from under me every time. This time Brocc and his baby daughter are kicked out of their home all because he was trying to bridge a very wide communication gap with the Crow Folk.

At the same time, the Prince of Aolu disappears while in the company of Galen (Brocc’s brother.) It is up to the Swan Island Warriors, to find the prince. Galen and Brocc’s sister Liobhan is one such warrior as is her lover Dau. So, as you can see, this story will be a story of family.

And much more. As these adventures go, paths will cross. Old enemies will emerge, new enemies will arise. The Crow Folk, will begin to be understood. An old tale reveals a curse that may explain much. A Song of Flight has so many things going on. Master storyteller Juliet Marillier does a very fine job of weaving all the threads together.

Blackthorn and Grimm (parents of Galen, Brocc and Liobhan) have small roles in this story, which I love because I am such a fan of the Blackthorn and Grimm series.

Intrigue had me imagining all varieties of outcomes – terrible and wonderful! And all through the story, the characters emotions tugged at my own heart. I always want Liobhan and Dau to be together and Brocc needs his happy ending. But as a reader of fantasy, I know they will have to overcome many challenges before they get to that point. I love, love, love this enchanting story and the series!
Thanks his book was phenomenal!

A young warrior who wields both the power of her music and the strength of her sword faces a grave threat in this enthralling historical fantasy.

Bard and fighter Liobhan is always ready for a challenge. So when news arrives at Swan Island that the prince of Dalriada has gone missing after an assault by both masked men and the sinister Crow Folk, she's eager to act.

While Liobhan and her fellow Swan Island warriors seek answers to the prince's disappearance, the bard Brocc, Liobhan's brother, finds himself in dire trouble. His attempts to communicate with the Crow Folk have led him down a perilous path. When Liobhan and her comrades are sent to the rescue, it becomes clear the two missions are connected--and a great mystery unfolds.

What brought the Crow Folk to Erin? And who seeks to use them in an unscrupulous bid for power? As Liobhan and Brocc investigate, it will take all their strength and will to continue pursuing the truth. With the safety of their loved ones in the balance, the risks they must take may cost them everything.
Another beautiful installment to Juliet Marillier's Warrior Bard trilogy! I am a huge fan of Juliet Marillier's work and have thoroughly enjoyed this latest trilogy from her. This final book in the trilogy, A Song of Flight, was the perfect conclusion and couldn't have done a better job of continuing these characters' journeys and relationships with one another. I have loved watching all of them grow, and it is all done in such a captivating way via Marillier's beautiful, rather elegant prose that carries the story easily, whether it's a fast-paced, high-action scene or a complete opposite and calmer moment. This series is absolutely lyrical, and I am so glad I was able to read this entire trilogy and follow all of my favorite characters along for the ride. I can't wait to read even more Marillier!
Juliet Marillier's writing is absolutely stunning, and this book was no exception. I loved seeing the entire family adn solving the mystery. The world building is phenomenal. I cannot wait to read more of her work!
I have to admit that it took me a little longer then usual to get through this book, just because I was in the wrong mindset for the series at the time the ARC came out.  However, this was a purely personal issue and has nothing to do with the book itself, which is as lyrical and emotional as I've come to expect from Juliet Marillier.  "A Song of Flight" is a satisfying conclusion to the Warrior Bards trilogy, brining back all of the major characters (and even including some glimpses of Blackthorn and Grim).

The book starts off with a missing prince, and a request for Swan Island to investigate.  We also finally reach the climax of the storyline about the Crow Folk, which gives Brocc some much needed time to shine (since he sometimes felt like an afterthought or a side character in the previous books).  As in all Marillier works, the ending is emotionally satisfying and answers all major questions raised in the series.  I might have to go back now and start a reread from the beginning.
Beautifully written and atmospheric! Juliet Marillier never disappoints. Seriously, read all of her books you won't regret it. My only complaint about this particular serious is that it seems a little more dense than some of her other novels. A lot more description, thicker prose, slower action. It is still beautiful and worth your time!
I've enjoyed this trilogy right from the beginning, and this book was no exception. I ended up loving the characters so much. I think Marillier does an excellent job with her characters, from the humans down to the little fae creatures that inhabit her books. I especially enjoyed getting to see Blackthorn and Grim from her previous series again. I really liked how both series dealt with the individual struggles each of the characters had. I felt like Blackthorn and Grim had an overall message of redemption and forgiveness, and this series seemed to have an overarching theme of being true to oneself, and I enjoyed that very much.

I liked Brocc's story the most in this book. He remained stalwart through all the trials and disappointments he went through and I felt for him. I admired his devotion to doing what he felt was right, and the love and care he had for his daughter was heartwarming. The thing with Eirne was incredibly sad to me, although not really surprising considering what happened in the last book. I struggled to understand her character, as she felt distant to me, but I'm wondering if that wasn't the point.

Liobhan and Dau were still my favorite characters of the series and I liked the way the author showed how they struggled to be apart while on their separate missions. I also thought their story-line ended perfectly in the book. The resolution with the crowfolk was also nicely done. It was nice to be able to come to understand them and what was happening with them.

This was a good conclusion to the trilogy. I think everything was wrapped up nicely, although there is definitely more room to expand on this world if the author chooses. I'm looking forward to whatever she writes next.

Thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for providing me with and ARC of this book.
Warrior Bards #3.  The continuing story of Liobhan, Dau and Brocc.  The Swann Island warriors are called in when a prince disappears and is believed to be kidnapped.  Meanwhile, when Brocc's daughter is kidnapped, a conspiracy forces him to "manipulate" the Crow people - or so they think.
Even though Brocc's situation is quite dire, the story does not seem as dark as previous books.  You can feel all the threads coming together, all the characters gathering, all the questions about to be answered - that air of expectancy keeps the mood much lighter than before.  And it all does come together in a most satisfying manner, and all is explained.  And there is plenty of room for future tales if our author so desires (and we do, don't we?)
Highly recommended.
One Sentence Summary: A prince has gone missing and Dau has been sent to help the effort to recover him while Brocc has been working on a dangerous mission to understand the feared Crow Folk.

May contain spoilers for the first two books.

Overall
A Song of Flight follows Liobhan, Dau, and Brocc as their lives change and merge while two work to find a missing prince and one works to figure out the Crow Folk. As usl, I really enjoyed the characters and loved how much music played into their lives. Each of them faced their own trials, and some of it broke my heart a little. It was wonderful to see how their decisions from the first two books impacted them in this third one. While the first half was slow and I felt the set up took a little too long to unfold, the second half was fast-paced and hardly seemed to stop. Overall, this is a solid third book and offers a great ending point for Liobhan, Dau, and Brocc.

Extended Thoughts
On Swan Island, Liobhan has been assigned to train a new warrior, but has difficulties getting to know her. Elka is from a very different part of the world and culture, but her knowledge may hold an important key to a mission Dau has been sent on. Closer to her parents’ home, the prince of Dalriada goes missing and his protector, Liobhan’s brother, severely injured. But Dau is sent to investigate and find the prince. There, he uncovers unsettling information that might involve the Crow Folk, and is sent to the widowed chieftain Lady Almha, whose advisor has a plot up her sleeve.

In the Otherworld, Brocc’s child has been born and is the light of his eyes, but his secret mission involving the Crow Folk endangers his place in his wife’s court. Warnings are sent to Liobhan as his mission and Dau’s seem to be on a collision course.

A Song of Flight appears to be the last in the series and offers a fitting conclusion for all of the major characters. It follows the same formula as the first two books with a slow first half that equally slowly unfolds the set up and rises to the climax and a faster, more thrilling ride during the second half when everything comes together. It’s easy to get mired in the first half as the Otherworld is simply dismissed, though, by this point, I suspect readers have already guessed it will play a huge role. But it is slow and almost cumbersome and I had a hard time not checking on my progress to see how close I was getting to the more exciting second half. Still, A Song of Flight delivers a solid story and wonderful conclusions to the stories of Liobhan, Dau, and Brocc.

I adore the characters in this series. Liobhan is so strong in mind and spirit. She’s always ready and willing to jump in, but her family has more of a hold on her heart than Swan Island does. Still, she’s a capable and dedicated Swan Island warrior. I found I had the most fun reading about her through Dau’s eyes, especially since, for the first time in the series, they’re separated during most of the book. Dau has come a long way from haughty nobleman and it was so nice to see just how human he was. I’ve loved how his character has deepened and changed over the past three books. While I was a little dismayed by how quickly their relationship progressed, it makes sense if this is a trilogy, and it’s been fun to watch them develop as individuals and a couple. As usual, Brocc kind of felt like a third wheel to me. I love his character and his huge heart and his story made my heart twinge for him, but Liobhan and Dau have the stronger story even if Brocc’s is centered around the ever-present Crow Folk. I do like him and his softer soul and the things he was put through was dreadful, but I found myself wanting to jump back to Liobhan and Dau more.

It was wonderful to get to know Liobhan and Brocc’s family and more Swan Island warriors. They all really helped fill in the story, giving it both personal and professional stakes. I thought Elka was a delightfully complex and fascinating woman even if Liobhan had a hard time getting to know her. I loved all the surprises that came from her and all of the new things she brought to Liobhan and her team. It was also fun to see Liobhan’s brother Galen involved in the story. He didn’t feel quite as fleshed out as I would have liked, but his relationship with the prince was absolutely lovely and heartwarming. I loved everything about it.

A Song of Flight, unlike the first two books, has the characters traveling further afield. There are more places to see in both realms, but Elka’s homeland was the most unique. While both share many ideas related to magic, they’re viewed differently and it was interesting to see the differences and similarities and how it impacted her and Liobhan’s relationship. But I really enjoyed getting to travel around more with the characters, especially as it’s Celtic-inspired and involves so much of the Otherworld. While I wanted more from the fae, I did enjoy how the Crow Folk, and their mythology and history played a huge role. While they’ve previously just been ferocious, murderous beings, they’re cast in a different light in this book. It all did seem to escalate and change rapidly, but it was also really nice to reflect on the progression across all three books.

As with the first two books, A Song of Flight offers a layered, albeit somewhat simple, story. It’s inevitable that the paths of Liobhan, Dau, and Brocc will cross, that their missions and lives will intertwine well before the end of the book. It’s fun to see their paths merge and to come to realizations throughout the story, and a lot of fun to see how they manage to get out. But there aren’t many complications and the character pool feels a bit limited, making it easy to predict what’s going to happen and who is going to be involved. I did like that there aren’t too many characters, but it also keeps the story simple.

A Song of Flight is a quick fantasy with a simple story and fun characters. I love everything about the Celtic-inspired setting and how strong of a role music has. Even though the first half was predictably slow and the second half predictably something of a never-ending roller coaster, it was an enjoyable installment in the series and I really liked how it left off the characters.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ace for a review copy. All opinions expressed are my own.
This review was originally posted on <a href="http://booksofmyheart.net/2021/09/21/a-song-of-flight-by-juliet-marillier/" target="_blank"> Books of My Heart</a>
&nbsp;

<i>Review copy was received from . This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.</i>

I am always a bit worried these days when starting a new book with rich world-building and character development, because I may feel overwhelmed with the details.  It also can be hard when one read the last book a year ago and may not remember details.  Happily, I started <strong>A Song of Flight</strong> and it was easy!

Juliet Marillier is  an author I always enjoy.  Now we have the complete <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/215913-warrior-bards" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"><em><strong>Warrier Bards</strong></em></a> trilogy. I would not read these alone or out of order.  I do feel I enjoyed these books more because I read the <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/101029-blackthorn-grim" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><em><strong>Blackthorn & Grim</strong></em></a> series first, which I LOVED, but you wouldn't have to read it first, only because it is amazing.

The trilogy encompasses all three of the Blackthorn & Grim children, but I would say we get more from Liobahn's perspective than the others.   Brocc and Dau get nearly as many chapters as Liobahn.  But, we only get one chapter from Galen's viewpoint.   A new point of view is Aolu, the prince of Dalraida.  Galen is a lifelong friend and guard to Aolu. They now have a more personal relationship it seems.

Without being spoilery,  Liobahn and Dau are settling in to their new situations.  Liobahn is training Elka which I enjoyed.  Brocc loves his daughter, Niamh, who is almost two.  His wife is violently against the Crow Folk,  but he is trying hard to communicate with them.  Our story begins with the prince going missing and Galen being injured and left for dead.  Dau is sent as part of the mission to find him

Liobahn continues her training, wishing she could go but she is too close to the people involved.  Eventually, when they believe Aolu must be in the Otherworld, she is brought into the search since she has the most experience because of Brocc.  She learns Brocc is having his own struggles. As usual, Liobahn doesn't do what she was told, but her instincts are solid gold.

We see some villains from previous books, and there are new evils.  But there are also new friends.  I was happy to see Brocc make a real connection with the Crow Folk and try to improve their lot.  There was more time at Winterfalls with Blackthorn & Grim which is always a pleasure.

I felt on edge with the suspense over finding Aolu,  helping Brocc and the Crow Folk,  Dau was in some tight spots, and Liobahn seems to always in the thick of the worst of things. I would happily read more in this world with its beloved characters, rich magic systems and political maneuvering.   <strong>A Song of Flight</strong> was a joy to read and a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.
A solid end to a really good series. No one will be surprised that I loved this book and the entire series. Juliet Marillier is one of my solidly favorite authors. Her skill with story, atmosphere, and character is fantastic.

I would have to say that my favorite books by this author are the Blackthorn and Grim trilogy (which I had to re-read after finishing Song of Flight just because feels). So getting a trilogy like this one that is a sequel to those books is just a real treat. Like the Blackthorn & Grim books, these books are populated by intriguing characters you can absolutely fall in love with. I also really enjoy the way she writes about the fae and little magical people. They remind me of the wonderful strange little fae in the video game Ni No Kuni. Utterly charming. In this book, we also get to see Blackthorn herself and that made me very happy.

This probably isn’t such a great review because I’m mostly fangirling at this point, but I hope that will convince you that this is something you might want to look into. These books really are great and will be read and read again by me in future of that I’m sure.
I have been a big fan of Juliet Marillier's writing. I adored her Blackthorn and Grim series and so I jumped at the opportunity to read more in this world, although I have not yet read the other 2 books in this Warrior Bard series.

A Song of Flight is set in the same world of Winterfall, and Blackthorn and Grim appear in this book as well, although they are much more minor characters in this one. The main characters in this are their 3 children, now all grown and making their own way in the world. As always, Marillier creates a lush, descriptive world for her characters to inhabit. So similar in many ways to our own with hints of magic and the world of the fae touching the world of humans that you can easily believe all of these tales happened. Her writing is evocative of all the best things in fairy tales: good versus evil, the importance of being kind to folk who might not be like you, and curses that must be broken by hard work and good deeds.

The story begins with characters from the elite warrior group on Swan Island tasked with finding the missing Prince Aolu. It's unclear if this is the work of the mysterious (and sometimes violent) Crow Folk, or perhaps an abduction by a neighboring clan. Liobhan, one of the Swan Island warriors, has a personal stake in this as her brother, Galen, is the prince's bodyguard and he is found, badly injured, with no memory of who has taken the prince. Also involved is their other brother, Brocc, who has been living in the Otherworld, but now has to undertake a journey of his own to try to find his calling and path in life.

Plenty of great action sequences skillfully blended with back story and tales of the Crow Folk, and the journey each of the siblings must take swept me away to this world and I absolutely LOVED this book. It took me a few chapters to get caught up with the characters since I had not read books 1 and 2 (although these went immediately on my TBR list when I finished this one) and it's not necessary to have read other books in the Winterfall world to follow the plot and understand the characters in this one. I thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself in the mysteries, waiting for each bit of the puzzle to get teased out, and then all of it coming together in the final chapters.  An entertaining and lovely read - exactly what I would expect from this favorite author of mine!
The Warrior Bards trilogy comes to a stunning conclusion with A Song of Flight. I was swept away from the very first page by Juliet Marillier’s writing and hated every interruption that pulled me away from Liobhan, Brocc, and Dau’s final adventure.

The threat of the Crow Folk continues to grow both in the human realm and in the Otherworld. When Alou, the prince of Dalriada, disappears after an attack by masked humans and the Crow Folk, the Swan Island warriors are called in to find out what happened. Though the incident occurred in Winterfalls, Liobhan's home, she is prevented from going on the mission as it’s too close to home. Her brother, Galen, is Alou’s bodyguard and was injured in the fight. Forced to remain on Swan Island, Liobhan continues her work training a new warrior. Liobhan being forced to stay behind (before she is inevitably drawn into the search as the plot threads tie together) is interesting as it shows new sides to her. Training someone else, having to work to create a bond with someone, brings out the mature and understanding side of Liobhan and it was interesting to see her settle in and find her place on Swan Island when she’s not in action. Liobhan’s partner, Dau, is sent on the mission to find out what happened to Alou and it takes him to interesting new places. I adore Liobhan and Dau together but seeing them apart actually showed the strength of their bond.

Brocc, whom we last left in the Otherworld, faces the most challenging journey in this book. He’s at a crossroads with one foot in each world, not knowing what to do when it comes to his life, his family, the Crow Folk, and more. Brocc is a good man who always tries to do what’s right, even if it costs him. And it does cost him in this book. He has to make some hard choices and they may not always be the right ones. His tumultuous journey over the course of the story had me questioning what would happen next and though I won’t spoil anything I will say that Marillier gave him a satisfying ending.

A Song of Flight is the third book in the Warrior Bards trilogy and you should definitely read The Harp of Kings and A Dance with Fate before jumping into this book. Marillier brings everything together in this story and I loved the entire journey. I can’t give away anything other than the basics of the plot because it would spoil the journey for readers. This book is a puzzle and I enjoyed watching the various characters collect the pieces and ultimately see the whole picture. In addition to Liobhan, Brocc, and Dau, we get to see events from other points of view such as Galen and Alou, two characters I wish I had cause to see more of in this series. Characters big and small all have something to contribute to the overarching plot and the mystery of the Crow Folk, which was a delight. And speaking of delights, fans of the Blackthorn & Grim trilogy are sure to be thrilled to revisit their favorite characters. Blackthorn and Grim are Liobhan, Brocc, and Galen’s parents, so getting to see not only them but a few other characters from their trilogy pop up was such a treat (though you don’t have to have read that series to enjoy this one).

A Song of Flight is a spellbinding fantasy from start to finish. There’s action, mystery, character growth, and love, both romantic and familial. Add that to Marillier’s gorgeous prose and it’s easy to see why I found this book so compelling.
This is the (continuing) story of Liobhan, Brocc, and Dau, who are warriors of Swan Island (for the most part). In this volume, the Crow Folk are still stirring up trouble for some of the local villages and while out and about, Prince Aolu goes missing and Swan Island is on the case. Meanwhile, all is not sunshine and rainbows in the fae kingdom, and when Brocc is caught trying to communicate with the Crow Folk, shenanigans go down.

I thought this was a lovely addition to the Warrior Bards series, though I’ll admit that I didn’t love it quite as much as the last installment (to be fair, the romance subplot in the last installment was amazing). I really like Liobhan and Dau, and so it’s very easy to cheer for them and wish for them to win the day! Brocc’s part in this story kicked me in the feels a few times, too.

The writing was lovely, and it described a lovely world full of uncanny and magical creatures just out of sight. I have honestly enjoyed every book by Juliet Marillier that I’ve ever read. They always read as so… beautiful, even when things happening aren’t always the sorts of things that conjure images of beauty. This one was no exception. I loved these stories even more than Blackthorn and Grim’s stories.

This was a fantastic conclusion to a fantastic series. I loved how this one wrapped everything up while leaving plenty of room for more stories in this world.
True Rating 4.5 stars

What a lovely conclusion to a beautiful trilogy from Marillier! I don't want to spoil things, but I hope you have read the Sevenwaters series first, as there are some tie ins. Her beautiful writing does a lovely job of weaving everything together.
It's always a challenge to review the final book in a trilogy without giving away spoilers. This was my favorite book of the three, all of which are really excellent high fantasy about a group of elite warriors, some of whom are also highly skilled musicians. I didn't realize until this book that there was an earlier trilogy set in this world, so I will definitely need to read those books as well. I love Marillier's detailed world-building of both the human and fey realms, and she expertly weaves together multiple storylines in this installment. The characters all show a lot of growth throughout the trilogy, and this is a very satisfying conclusion to their respective stories. Thank you to NetGalley, Berkley Publishing Group/Ace Books, and Juliet Marillier for the opportunity to read and review this book.