Cover Image: The 30 Rock Book

The 30 Rock Book

The first thing to know about The 30 Rock Book is that it is mostly an oral history. I wish I had known that going in, because it wasn’t what I was expecting. I’m also not quite sure who this book is for. If you are already a 30 Rock fan, this book doesn’t cover much new ground. And this book goes too in-depth for the casual fan. It was nice to hear from some of the less well known cast and crew of the show, but overall I was left unsatisfied with this read.

While I received an ARC of The 30 Rock Book from NetGalley for free, this had no bearing on my rating and review.
In the vein of the book about The Office which is in oral history format, this is written in the same way.

It was so great, but the long chapters made it take a lot longer to get through. I learned so much that I had no idea about, and I thought I was a super fan. I also loved learning about the rivalry with Aaron Sorkin's TV show.

This is great for super fans, but I can't imagine anyone enjoying this one the same way.
In all honesty, I am a casual watcher of 30 Rock. I know the memes and I know the ending but I've never truly sat down to appreciate the show from beginning to end. However, after reading how this show was brought together I will have to fix this. This is a wonderful read for fans both new and old who may be finding themselves with a bit more time on their hands.

Thank you to NetGalley and  Abrams Press for this advanced copy which I received in return for an honest review.
As a massive 30 Rock fan, I was intrigued by this book. Unfortunately it’s more of an episode guide with some oral history sprinkled in. For a fan there’s not much that is new and it’s probably best for someone who is watching or rewatching the series to use as a read-long. Inexplicably a lot of the TV critics interviewed seem to hate the show. Furthermore, if you want to criticise a show for being racist, maybe don’t use quotes from white people to support your claims. Just a thought.
I’ve never seen a book like this before. The author does a deep dive into every single season of the show, including quotes from everyone associated (cast, producers, etc). I thought this would be a coffee table book for fans, but it was “how the sausage was made” for super-fans. Well done and unusual! I wish they had this type of book for my other favorite shows! No photographs whatsoever.
30 Rock is one of my favorite TV shows. I was thrilled that there will be a book about the history of the show. I liked how the author structured this book. Each chapter is about what's happening in one season of 30 Rock and starts with the first episodes until the season finale. Each episode is accompanied by interviews, a summary, and commentaries from the author. It's like the podcast Office Ladies, but about 30 Rock in book format. I enjoyed reading it and felt like rewatching the show afterward.
Oh em gee I squealed out loud when I saw this book! I LOVE 30 Rock, I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it, and to be able to deep dive further into the world was a wonderful treasure! I now will be on the lookout for more books like these for my other favorite shows!
Okay, partially cheating here. This book is not advertised as an Oral History, but it functions largely as one. The major difference in form here is that there is more editorializing from the author going on, and quotes from the cast and crew feel more in support of that at times. For a show like 30 Rock, that actually works really well as there probably could only be so many times you read, “We sought to push boundaries and satirize everyone. Hopefully that episode never gets taken down from Netflix” before you want to put your head through a wall. Mike Roe is actually presenting a great model for future Hollywood Oral History books to consider in order to prevent them from feeling lazy and like an advertisement paid for by the show. Most great television shows are complicated and have ups and downs, and it usually takes an outsider to properly contextualize it all and assess it.