Cover Image: Healthy Easy Mexican

Healthy Easy Mexican

An easy to follow recipe guide that will have any lover of Mexican food ready to cook. Delicious, you an not go wrong any recipe choice in this book.
5 stars, Totally Tasty Mexican Food

Healthy Easy Mexican by  Velda de la Garza

This cookbook would make a nice addition to your pantry shelves.  It has a nice selection of Mexican food recipes.  Here's a list of the recipe categories:

Salsas & Dips
Poultry
Meatless Meals
Rice & Beans
Desserts

All of the recipes are easy to prepare and quite tasty, too.  Nutritional information is included for all recipes.  I found some of the recipes called for boiling the tomatillos on the stove, in broth.  We roast our tomatillos, it's easy for us.  You can adapt the recipes to your liking. Highly recommend it.  Beautiful Mexican tiles, appear throughout, and probably comes complete with color photos of at least some of the recipes, but since I have an eBook copy, the photos did not show.

Warmest thanks to #netgalley for the complimentary copy of #healthyeasymexican I was under no obligation to post a review.
The recipes in this book are great. Unfortunately, none of the pictures would load, so I was sort of guessing at whatever I was making. The few things I did try my hand at turned out lovely tasting, although I have no clue if they were plated right.
Firstly the cover won my heart and then the title because I am a sucker for all things beautiful. I totally enjoyed going through the recipes and the author did a good job in including a number of recipes of salsas, appetizers, soups, salads, meat entrees, even vegetarian meals, and yummy desserts. Some of the ingredients may be harder to find in Africa but the cookbook is easy to understand and it would make the perfect addition to your cookbooks or as a gift. A huge thanks to the publisher for my e-ARC
A fantastic cookbook with really great pictures and lots of really good tips for making guilty pleasure recipes healthier. I can't wait to try some of them and use the suggested substitutions in other recipes in my life.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
I love Mexican food because it's pretty similar to my Brazilian food so I was excited about this book. The recipes look nice and I'll be trying some of them at home. I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review
Healthy Easy Mexican won my heart with that gorgeous cover! And the 161 included recipes? To die for! I adore this cuisine and the author, a registered dietitian, adds nutritious twists that not only make the food delicious, but good for you and simple to make. Hurrah!

There are tasty recipes for salsas, appetizers, soups, salads, meat entrees, even vegetarian meals and yummy desserts — a heavenly cornucopia.

As a non-cook, I found Healthy Easy Mexican  especially helpful because it showed me how to stock my pantry, pick cooking tools, and choose healthy ingredients. Last night, I even made a fab dinner using recipes for South Texas Squash Casserole, Carrot-Cilantro Salad, and Kahlúa Parfait with Raspberries. It was fun, easy to do and a hit with hubs and me. What more could you ask for?

Healthy Easy Mexican would make a great gift for cooks at any level who love scrumptious ethnic fare. Highly recommended!

5 of 5 Stars

Pub Date 14 Sep 2021
#HealthyEasyMexican #NetGalley

Thanks to the author, The Experiment, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.
Unfortunately I could not down load the file.  It looks fabulous but I will have to wait until the book comes out
Healthy Easy Mexican by Velda de la Garza has simple recipes with full instructions. There weren't photos of the finished dish, but I got an advance copy ebook so maybe the photos hadn't been added yet. Otherwise, great book and highly recommend for those who love Mexican food.
I received an ARC of this book thanks to NetGalley and publisher The Experiment in exchange for an honest review.

Mexican food is without a doubt some of my favourite food to cook and eat, but I will admit that my own recipes lack that authenticity. I was very excited by the idea of this book as I am always looking for new Mexican flavours to mix things up. I also have a tendency to just pile cheese on everything, which is not ideal now I am trying to eat healthier.

The layout of this book is fantastic. The recipes are split into clear sections, the presentation of each recipe is as simple as possible and it also includes detailed nutritional information which is exactly what you want from a health-focused recipe book. At the top of each recipe, there is also a detailed breakdown of which ingredients are good for you and how they help which was a really nice touch. I think more healthy cookbooks should do this as it encourages education and experimentation.

Now to the recipes themselves. I think there is a fine selection but unfortunately a large portion of them aren't personally suitable to me. The sections are: Salsas & Dips, Appetizers & Sides, Soups & Breads, Salads, Meat & Fish, Poultry, Meatless, Rice & Beans and Desserts. As you can probably tell, the bulk of this book was not main meals which was a bit of a shame as that's what I was looking for. Having said that, I am a little biased in that I don't eat soup or salads and I am unlikely to make dip which already rules out three whole sections. Add in my partner being veggie and you can see I have a more limiting set of circumstances than most.

One thing I liked about the recipes themselves is that they are all fairly simple or at least, contain ingredients which aren't too hard to get. I have a strong preference for recipes I am realistically likely to cook and that tends to mean easy to follow, relatively cheap and ingredients that won't go to waste. This book had plenty of those and a lot of them also provided great opportunity for adaptation and experimentation.

Overall, I would recommend this book if you are looking for a good, all-round Mexican cookbook which also happens to have a healthy skew. I think even if you're not specifically looking for the health aspect, having detailed nutritional information is always a bonus, and the recipes definitely aren't just for people trying to be healthier or lose weight. Advanced chefs might not find enough to offer them here but for most people, it's a great place to start.

Overall Rating: 3/5 stars
Very complete book with hearty nutritional traditional recipes, all reading very easily, no difficult steps. The copy I previewed had sadly no pictures so it makes it a little hard to imagine what the final products are like, only about 1 recipe out of 8, I understand will have a photograph, so this isn't for everybody, but will make people looking for authenticity happy.
Mexican is a mainstay at my house. We eat Mexican at least twice a week. Each time we go to a Mexican restaurant, I think to myself ways in which I can recreate the mouthwatering dishes we just enjoyed. Even better, is when I can make healthy versions that my family loves eating, and I feel good about serving. This book provides exactly those kinds of recipes. There are helpful tips regarding healthier options, guides to cheeses, peppers, and equipment. The only thing that would make it even better would be photographs of some of the dishes. There is so much color and texture to be enjoyed, I would love to see an image the end products. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
Hmmm... Your opinion of this cookbook is really going to depend on your definition of healthy. I was excited to read it since I love cooking Mexican food and I'm quite a health nut, but I have very different views of "healthy" from the author. To her credit, she is a dietician with lots of degrees and I am not, but she definitely is from the nutritional camps of several decades ago. For example, in her list of oils to use, she includes canola and spreadable margarine. In oils to avoid, she lists coconut oil and real butter. She also uses lots of processed, artificial ingredients like sugar free jello, lowfat cream of mushroom soup and "light whipped topping" (shudder), plus low-fat and no-fat cheeses and nonfat Greek yogurt in place of things like crema or sour cream. A pina colada pie was made of light whipped topping, coconut flavored yogurt and pineapple in a purchased graham cracker crust pie. Her "mango mold" has two packages of sugar free orange jello, two packages of lemon jello, fat-free cream cheese and mangos stirred in. This is just not what I think of for either healthy or authentic Mexican food. There are some more traditional Mexican dishes, but these are still made in modern ways with altered ingredients for the most part.

I kept thinking that the recipes seemed straight out of the 90's in terms of "healthy" and then I looked and saw that it's an updated cookbook written in 1995.

There is some nutritional information for each recipe, but it leaves out carbohydrate and protein counts, which are two of the most important things I track. There are supposedly photos throughout, but my ARC only had gray pages where I assume photos would someday be, so I can't speak to any photos it may or may not have.

While I appreciate that the author has authentic Mexican heritage and lots of dietary degrees, this isn't a book that I found helpful, healthy or inspiring personally. For those who want low-calorie, low-fat Mexican dishes and don't mind using highly processed, artificial ingredients, this will probably be a good fit.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
Healthy Easy Mexican is a cookbook full of recipes for every meal and occasion.

I really loved this collection! I felt the recipes were authentic while also offering healthier alternatives in a conscious way. I love how the author meshed her expertise in health and nutrition with her heritage to create simple and delicious meal options.

Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I love discovering new recipes, especially when they don't ask you to buy a dragon's leg. This book is one of those books that give you some fun and delicious recipes with common ingredients, and I might start a MExican cuisine month now! :D
Date reviewed/posted: May 5, 2021
Publication date: September 14, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

145 classic Mexican recipes made healthy and low-cal—still full of flavour and oh-so-simple to prepare

With so many popular fast-casual chains serving up foot-long burritos, oozing quesadillas, and “taco shells” made of snack chips that shall remain nameless, it’s all too easy to equate Mexican cooking with unhealthy eating.

Enter Healthy Easy Mexican. Registered dietitian Velda de la Garza shifts the spotlight back to the Mexican fare she grew up with, which is filled with colourful fruits and veggies and lends itself to low-cal, healthy cooking. Her 160 recipes, all with short ingredient lists and practical prep times, include Stuffed Jalapeños, Chalupas, Chicken Adobo, Chile Cheese Tortillas, and Mango Flan!

First published as Healthy Mexican Cooking (25,000 in print), this fully revised edition adds vibrant colour photos throughout. Plus, de la Garza includes substitutions, nutrient analyses, and diabetic exchanges to help readers achieve their health goals. As the saying goes, Que tus alimentos seyan tus medicinas: “Let your food be your medicine.”

Although I want those cover tacos in a hard shell, this is such a yummy book! Of course,  would add a tonnnnnne of cheese which means I would not be eating healthily, but that is me as I am allergic to cilantro and parsley which is a huge component in salsa and other Mexican dishes. The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the few photos available made the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there...I just wish that every dish had a photo as most cookbook readers like myself eat with my eyes.

What I especially love about the book is that it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better.  My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️
Healthy Easy Mexican is a beautiful cookbook with a huge variety of tasty recipes. It provides a great introduction to cooking Mexican food and the recipes are straightforward with common ingredients. I especially liked the recipes for salsas & dips, meatless meals, salads, and desserts. I also liked that there are many vegetarian recipes. I hope the published book features more food photography as the pictures included are gorgeous. I think many will enjoy this cookbook!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC.