Cover Image: Organize Your Corpses

Organize Your Corpses

The organization tips at the beginning of each chapter were a lot of fun. The characters were mostly well-written though one character (the doctor) didn’t feel consistent in his development. It was really like he devolved for no actual reason and it was just fine with the other characters. The mystery was fantastic and I was blown away by the twist I never saw coming. It’s hard to say much more without giving away anything but I will certainly give the next book another try.

Thank you to NetGalley, Beyond the Page Publishing, and Mary Jane Maffini for providing me with the opportunity to read this story and share my honest thoughts and opinions with others.
Charlotte Adams is a professional organizer. I could use her talents in my home. What I don't need is all the drama she brings with her, although I do LOVE reading about it in other people's lives!

Charlotte was called to do a job by one of her high school teachers. This woman was just mean and had the nickname of "Hellfire" from her students. She didn't have many fans in the faculty at the school where she worked, either. So when she died and Charlotte found the body, you'd think there would be plenty of suspects. But the policewoman in charge of the investigation was also a classmate of Charlotte's and knew the victim well. She also hated Charlotte. That makes Charlotte the number one suspect when it is determined that it was murder and not an accident.

This was one mystery where although there were a lot of characters and a lot of movie parts, it wasn't really hard for the reader to keep them straight. That is one of the things that made this book very enjoyable. Ms. Maffini seems to know these people and does a great job if describing them, letting us know their personalities, sharing their strengths and weaknesses.

It is not a spoiler to tell you that there is one character who seems a bit out of place but earns the trust of the protagonist. That is the way these stories often work. But is is a spoiler to tell you how everything ends with that character, so I won't. Let's just say, it's not what I expected.

Like all good mysteries, there is a twist in the tale. When this one comes, the reader may suddenly find his pulse racing wondering what, if anything ,can be done to bring this to a happy conclusion.

Lets just end this with I'd be willing to bet the great majority of readers can't figure out the perpetrator. Well done, Ms. Maffini. I am beginning the second book immediately!
This book is the first in a new (to me) series!  I love starting at the beginning and looking forward to many more books.  But, this book is a little special.  I have more books to look forward to!

I enjoyed this book immensely!  An organizer finding a body is new to me.  Charlotte was an interesting character and her pets really contributed to my enjoyment!  I found myself wrapped up in the story from beginning to end!  And I didn't guess the ending!  I'm sure I will be enjoying more books from this author.

Thank you to Beyond the Page Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This was the second time I read this book (I requested from NetGalley before I realized I had already read it) and I enjoyed it much more the second time.  Charlotte, the main character, is a professional organizer but her personal life is a mess.  She's likeable enough, as are her friends, and the mystery, while parts were implausible (as is with some cozies), was much better than I remember. <spoiler> I just don't get not realizing you have a completely different person as a patient in the nursing home.  How do you not notice?!!! </spoiler>  I raised the rating up to 3 stars for this rereading.
Yes, it is good to organise. I have just bought 4 sets of drawers, 2 different sizes, for my new greenhouse. And yes, I have my clothes in a winter and summer separate wardrobes, and organise them by colour and even my dresses by plain or patterned. Organising bras ad knickers though is one step too far.
So I like the character and her work and her ideas but disagree on some points - organise your spices by cuisine - much easier as you tend to use a collection together every time; and no, don't stock on chocolate for hostess gifts, as the character later says - it gets a white bloom and then you have to eat it not give it!
the story was cosy and far from riveting, yet I kept turning pages as it was like a fluffy warm sweater n a cold evening, something with no sharp edges and easy to snuggle into. And this despite the murders and 'accidents'.
This wasn't my favorite cozy mystery but I did enjoy it. I will pick up more from this author and I will be going on with the series. With this book it was a little slow and it also to me a few chapters to get into it. I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read and review this book.
This is a 2nd publishing of this original first in series that first released in 2007. I enjoyed re reading this fun series and thank the publisher and Net Galley for the ARC. My review opinions are my own. This is a well crafted series that has humor, great charcters and a fun sleuth .

Charlotte is a professional organizer who is re building her life with her popular business. She has taken on a new client that has many documents that must be reviewed and organized. When she finds the client dead she begins a investigation on her own to determine what really happened. She is at odds with the local police and involves her friends to help her solve many clues .

This is a cozy series that withstands the test of time and is fun to re read. I look forward to further books in the series.
Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini is the 1st book in the Charlotte Adams mystery series, and my first book by this author.  I really enjoyed this cozy mystery, and looking forward to reading more books in the series.  Charlotte Adams has moved back home, to Upstate New York to start over. Charlotte is an organizer, and her first job is for her former high school teacher.  I love the cover.. After she finds her former teacher dead, the sleuthing begins.  I highly recommend this book.
My rating: 1 of 5 stars, DNF.

Re-release of book 1 in a 5 book series.

Ugh. I didn't find ANY of the characters likeable, not even the dogs. I got to the discovery of the body and lo and behold, the main characters favorite pen under the body, rolled my eyes hard and closed the book on my Kindle.

Life is too short to waste on books you don't enjoy.
Synopsis:

Fans of Marie Kondo and mysteries will love this series!

Professional organizer Charlotte Adams finds herself caught up in a very messy murder . . .

After freeing herself from a cheating fiancé and the other useless clutter in her life, Charlotte Adams moves back to her hometown in Upstate New York to make a fresh start as a professional organizer. But she’s about to learn that foul play can creep into even the most well-ordered life.

Eager to get her new career started, Charlotte agrees to take on a job from the former high school teacher who filled all her students’ lives with chaos and confusion. But no sooner does Charlotte begin digging through years of accumulated junk than she finds her first client dead—and herself named as the main suspect.

While any number of the victim’s former students had a motive for murder, Charlotte knows that death is rarely that tidy, and she can’t help meddling in the investigation to prove herself innocent and repair her sullied reputation. But the killer has a to-do list of their own, and the first item is to clean up a little mess named Charlotte Adams . . .

Organizing Tips Included!

Praise for the Books of Mary Jane Maffini:

“A comedic, murderous romp . . . Maffini is a relaxed, accomplished, and wickedly funny writer.” —The Montreal Gazette

“Mary Jane Maffini provides a first-rate, well-organized whodunit . . . A new series that is fun to read.” —Midwest Book Review

“Maffini’s new series . . . is off to a brilliant start with this fast-paced mystery!” —Romantic Times

“Deserves top marks for creating an entertaining, fast-paced
thriller filled with witty one-liners, snappy dialogue and crackling suspense.” —The Strand Magazine

“I’ll look forward to a long life for this series.” —Deadly Pleasures

“Plenty of twists and turns that kept me turning the pages until the last sentence.” —Dru’s Book Musings

“Maffini is a relaxed, accomplished and wickedly funny writer . . .” —The Times Colonist

About the Author:

Agatha and RT Award winner Mary Jane Maffini is the author of three and a half mystery series and two dozen short stories. Along with the Charlotte Adams professional organizer mysteries, she’s the author of the Camilla MacPhee Mysteries and the Fiona Silk comic capers. As Victoria Abbott, she collaborated on five collector mysteries with her daughter, Victoria. Mary Jane lives and plots in Manotick, Ontario, with a cluster of mischievous dachshunds at her feet. You can read more about her books and sign up for her newsletter at maryjanemaffini.com.  (Amazon)

Review:

The characters are well rounded or well developed.  Charlotte has come back home after finding out that her fiance has cheated.  She decides to start a new career as a professional organizer.  When she gets her first client, it is her former high school teacher, that not many people liked.  And when the client is killed and Charlotte is a person of interest, she decides to figure out the real killer.  She will need the help of her friends Sally and Jack, and her dogs Truffle and Sweet Marie, to find the culprit.

The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and these descriptions pulled me into the story from the very beginning.  The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read.  The mystery was well plotted and had enough clues to sift through and suspects to consider.  I was really surprised at the identity of the killer and that was great.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a well crafted cozy mystery.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series to see what happens.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book and provided my honest review.
Thank you Netgalley for the advance reader copy of Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini in exchange for an honest review. Charlotte Adams is an organizer. She met up with Miss Helen Henley, who is an old, hated teacher. Ms. Henley has inherited an old house built in 1898. It needs a lot of work. Then Charlotte finds Ms Henley dead inside the house.
This was a fun book to read. There was lots of humor thrown into the story of an organizer and the craziness of her life.
I liked the characters, setting and mystery as a whole.  As a first book I think there could have been more character development, definitely more of an explanation of the distance between Charlotte and a former best friend.  We're given two possible clues, one of which is later debunked, we are given another possible reason but it's brief, you have to read attentively, and it's not confirmed.

I know it's common in cozies not to have much police detail, but it was really light here.

I received my copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed this book when it was first published and I still enjoyed this revised addition. The mystery will catch your attention and it's easy to read so that you don't mind staying up very late to finish.

I'm glad to see that we'll be able to enjoy this series again!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc of Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini.

This was a lovely cozy mystery. Charlotte Adams has moved back to her home town after she has been dumped by her fiance and plans on moving her organizing business here as well. When her first client is an old school teacher Charlotte`s friends are less than agreeable to her going to meet with Miss Henley on her own. Charlotte does and after the, albeit uncomfortable, meeting she heads to town to deposit her retainer check and then get some much needed ice cream. This is when she sees that there is a large police presence which later turns out to be a hit and run. With that death already lingering around the town Charlotte goes to meet Miss Henley once more the next day and her murder is discovered really sending the town into a tizzy.
From there the story takes off. The first half of the book sees Charlotte attempting to make sense of what is going on without making too much progress. It`s a bit of a slow beginning but it makes the ending of the book really soar and you don`t want to put it down as I felt always a step behind Charlotte on her thinking. The twist was unexpected and surprising right to the last few pages.
Organize Your Corpses is a cozy mystery with instantly likeable characters! This was a very quick read which I would recommend giving a try!
Organize Your Corpses is the début in a series by Mary Jane Maffini featuring Charlotte Adams. It was a very entertaining read with stacks of humour and I readily found myself chuckling away.

Professional organiser Charlotte was a marvellous protagonist whom I find to be compassionate and smart. Set in Upstate New York, Charlotte has moved back to her hometown after discovering that her fiancé was cheating. Charlotte's first job is at the home of her former high school teacher, Helen "Hellfire" Henley. Charlotte arrives at the address given by Miss Henley, a three-storey house on North Elm Street, to go through the ex-teachers requirements and prepare the contract for Helen's signature. Back at the home she is talking with her landlord Jack and tucking into a tub of ice cream when her phone rings, and it's Hellfire Henley calling to arrange another meeting, straightaway, but the line goes dead, so Charlotte reckons that Miss Henley hung up on her. The next morning Charlotte rings her but gets no answer so drives to her home in Woodbridge... and finds Miss Henley dead.

The book was well-crafted, swift-paced and thoroughly entertaining. The mystery was very engaging and I was kept guessing until the end of this lively tale. I am already looking forward to catching up with Charlotte, her landlord Jack and all of the rescue animals in the next instalment, 'The Cluttered Corpse'. Very highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Beyond the Page Publishing via NetGalley at my request and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
Okay so I will confess here I got a bit annoyed about halfway through this book as I thought Charlotte Adams was awfully ridiculous at sleuthing and one of the big twists I found rather obvious. HOWEVER, the whodunit was a doozy and I was quite impressed.

Charlotte Adams is trying to get her organization business off the ground. Her old Catholic school teacher, Miss Henley, nicknamed Hellfire Henley by the majority of her students, enlists her skills and then winds up dead. As the plot unravels and it looks like Charlotte is being set up to take the fall, she must work to clear her name so her clients will return and her life can get back to normal.

There is some swearing in this book, which is atypical for usual cozies. I don't mind it so much but the inconsistencies among the usage were a little annoying since she refers to poop once as "doo-doo" and then uses the other four letter word several other times. If you're going to use it, stick with it.

I also thought the portrayl of the police officer in this book was stupid. The woman is a former friend, now sworn enemy of Charlotte's for a reason that is hinted at but not fully explained. She is the picture perfect ice princess, perfectly quaffed and manicured and clearly hates Charlotte. I just found the abuse of power would never hold up in court.

I know it sounds like I didn't like this book much but I did, I just, as mentioned, found some plot points a bit far fetched, even for a fictitious mystery. However, I would read another book in the series, which says a lot. Plus there are dogs!
What a fantastic cozy debut! Quirky characters, a murder mystery to keep one guessing till the end, two adorable fur babies and a whole lotta suspects. The ending is mind-blowing!
Absolutely loved every bit of this story. Five books of this series is signed for a TV adaptation and I cannot wait to watch it!
If you love quirky cozy mysteries, you must give this book a try. Highly recommended!
Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini is the first book in A Charlotte Adams Mystery series.  I liked the premise of this series. It has potential for many interesting scenarios.  The reality, though, was disappointing.  You must suspend all logical thoughts when reading this tale.  Some things are farfetched.  I ended up not liking any of the characters (not even the dogs).  Charlotte Adams is a “professional organizer” whose life is a mess.  She is a plucky woman, but I found her too impetuous.  Charlotte goes to a client meeting with two unruly dogs (that made no sense whatsoever).  I also wondered how she kept getting jobs when she failed to complete any of them.  	The mystery was interesting.  I like solving unique mysteries.  Unfortunately, the whodunit was not the focus of the book.  Charlotte’s friends seem to do more investigating than Charlotte.  For the resolution, you must suspend your disbelief.   At the end, we are left with many unanswered questions (what happened between Pepper and Charlotte for example).  Avid cozy mystery readers only need to a couple of pieces of information to solve it.  I wondered what year this book was set in.  It did not seem to be set in the present day (not within the last three years at least).  Organize Your Corpses had too much wackiness and cliché elements for my tastes.   I did enjoy the organizing tips before each chapter.  My favorite tip was, “Keep an interesting book with you in case you find yourself in a boring place with time on your hands.”   While Organize Your Corpses was not my cup of tea, I suggest you obtain a sample to see if it suits you.  Organize Your Corpses is an offbeat cozy mystery with a disarranged dwelling, a vile victim, a dogged detective, a kindly landlord, a frenzied family, and a perplexing puzzle.
Sarah Adams has decided to come home.   She is an Organizer and hopes to create a business helping others become organized.  One of her first clients is a former teacher that was know my the moniker "Hellfire".  She made everyone's lives a living you know what.

When Hellfire is found dead, Sarah becomes the only suspect.  The detective is a former friend who know hates her.  We aren't told why.  So Sarah decides she must figure out what happened before she is sent up the river.

The story was a nice cozy.  There are plenty of quirky characters, Sarah, her friends, a girl with purple hair and an elderly woman who loves to bake.  Some of the people are likeable, others not so much.  Sarah and her friends did not have ideal childhoods and some people in the town won't let Sarah forget.  The mystery was engaging and the twist at the end completely surprised me.