Cover Image: Scales & Scoundrels Definitive Edition Book 2: The Festival of Life

Scales & Scoundrels Definitive Edition Book 2: The Festival of Life

I had a lot of fun reading this graphic novel. We see these new friends coming together for a thrilling adventure. They are heading to a long lost city hoping to find some one of a kind treasure. Along the way they run into some deadly monsters and learn some shocking truths. Yet as this graphic novel comes to a close it looks like this adventure isn’t over yet.
An exciting continuation of Luvander's story, revisiting old friends and shedding some light on the characters' histories. This volume adds some more insight into the workings of the world, and begins to delve into Luvander's past enough to start shaping the plot into a more focused thing, giving us a glimpse at her ultimate goal. The way it picks up the story with some time given after the end of the first volume makes it feel more episodic, like a television show, than many graphic novel series allow, usually picking up right where the previous installment left off.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as i did with the first, i love the short story that shows Dorna's homecoming, but the main arc in this book is a little weak. I appreciate the effort made trying to create a crime investigation story but that is not what i expect of this series and this setting. Its not a bad story, just not my cup of tea.
Not sure if a skipped a chapter at  the end of book one or at the beginning of this one...but it didn't seem to pick up in the same place. Was a little confused by that, but still enjoyed this read immensely. The art is well done and appealing to the eye - full of fantastical colors that really help ground this fantasy setting in itself.

When we start this book, our heroes are on separate paths once again but are reunited eventually. Trouble still seems to follow Lu wherever she goes, but we get more of her background that helps us make sense of her character.

Still a fun cast of characters and and interesting story.

10/10 would recommend. Especially if you are a fan of D&D and other fantasy role playing games.
Scales and Scoundrels is an all age comic that follows a young adventurer who is on the hunt for gold and glory. In volume 2 you follow Luvander as she searches for a way to break the chains of her fate. This volume instantly drew me in.  Some time has passed between volume 1 and volume 2 so our adventurers have split up.  As the story continues things start to come together answering a lot of the questions you had in volume 1.  It was so much fun to read I can see this becoming a classroom favorite.

Creative Team:
Written by Sebastian Girner
Art by Galaad
Lettering and Design by Jeff Powell
The second Scales and Scoundrels volume, like the first, contains a wealth of new material, and picks up the adventure from where we left off in Book One. Luvander continues on her journey to break her curse; it's a quest that will bring her to a monastery that guards a secret entrance to The Dragon Dream, where few have dared to enter. She and her group of friends face dark trials ahead, including demons and their own deepest fears. An introspective adventure that prompts conversations, this is an excellent companion to Book One. The artwork is gorgeous, with bright and vibrant colors, movement, and beautiful fantasy artwork. There's great world-building - seriously, you can create a Dungeons and Dragons adventure based on the information contained in these two books - that readers will return to time and again.

To paraphrase School Library Journal, the Scales and Scoundrels books roll a natural 20 - and that's pretty awesome.
This review is solely based on the original "Sample Copy" provided via NetGalley, which includes issues 11 - 17.

I did not realize this was a sample copy until the story jumped from the middle of book 1, into book 2. Leaving me confused about what exactly had happened during that time.

That said, the story was enjoyable. I was approved for the sample copy of book 1 which left me.. unsure of how I felt about the story and the characters. Knowing I wanted to read more, but not entirely sure I liked what I had read.
Book 2, is a completely different story. I enjoyed it A LOT. From the individual stories and character growth, it's a whole different beast with a new experience, which I recommend.

This has it all, magic, fighting, peace, mystery, friendship, and maybe, just maybe, dragons!
I'm strapped into my seat, ready to see where the story goes.

**Thank you to TKO Studios and NetGallery for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. **

Edit: Upon posting this review and my feelings on NetGalley only providing a sample, TKO has provided me with a full reader copy. THAT'S SERVICE.
Scales & Scoundrels Definitive Edition, Book 1 and 2, by Sebastian Girner and Galaad are graphic novels currently schedule for release on July 6 2021. This a a new, revised and expanded definitive edition of the all ages comic.

This multicultural fantasy adventure follows young treasure hunter Luvander in her search for gold and glory. Along with her companions—a prince, his stern bodyguard, and a plucky young dwarf—Lu dives into an epic journey and discovers a secret that will bring light to a world encroached upon by an ancient darkness. Book 1: Where Dragons Wander contains material previously collected in the Image Comics edition of Scales & Scoundrels Vol. 1 & 2, with completely reworked artwork. Lu’s adventure continues in Book 2: The Festival of Life, with more than 250 pages of original content. I only had access to a sneak peek of these volumes, so my review is only on the artwork and story I had access to.

I have never before read Scales & Scoundrels so my review is based on looking at the previews of these two volumes with no nostalgia or prior knowledge of the story. I thought the idea and story was well done with quality artwork I thought the story was easy to follow, with some predictability, and the artwork matched the story well. The story starts fairly slowly, a standard fantasy adventure, but the characters and story to get more depth as the story continues. The art was not my favorite style, but we all have different tastes and I think it was a good match to the story. I think young fantasy fans and players of Dungeons and Dragons-  and similar games- will enjoy this the most. I did not wow me, but I do wish that I would have discovered the comics when they were first release as I think I would have enjoyed them more when I was younger and not so many graphic novels of this genre had already pass through my hands.
Thank you to NetGalley, Sebastian Girner, and TKO studios for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

When this began, I was very confused, thinking it would start where volume one left off (which I also received an e-ARC of). When I went back to look at the descriptions, I found both were "samples" of the full editions, even though these "samples" offered nearly 200 pages each. Had I realized that, I would not have requested either book.
Edit: That being said, the publisher sent a full copy to review, which is great, because now I feel like I have the full grasp of the book.

At first I thought this one would be a collection of short stories featuring each character, but really it shows what happens after the first main arc. The dwarf girl (I already forgot her name because the characters aren't very memorable) goes back to her home kingdom to honor her brother. Lu is at some library, and there are dream spiders, and a bit of dragon history, then she ends up with Prince Aki in the desert and there is a more flavorful story arc featuring partly Lu's dragon ancestry and party Aki's ceremony to rule, or lack thereof because someone stole the special relics he needs for the ceremony. Political tensions run high, and even after the culprit is found, more story awaits in the world of Scales and Scoundrels.

I like the art and I kind of like Lu and Aki, especially as their friendship develops. The type font can be rather obnoxious to decipher at times as well. A great collection, and I am sure the next compilation will be well worth the wait.
Scales and Scoundrels is so good! The authors create such a complex yet understandable world of fantasy that I just can't escape. After book one ended I wanted more and was glad to be able to get ahold of book two. Book two followed each of the characters from book one separately until Lu met up with them again. We learn more about Lu and her back story, which I appreciated. Each of the characters develop in their stories and have relatable epiphanies in response to them. I love the characters and the stories and am looking forward to sharing this series with anyone who love Lord of the Rings, Terry Pratchett, and/or Game of Thrones.
This series just keeps getting better!  I love Scales and Scoundrels for everyone of all ages.  Always fun, always gorgeous, always heartwarming.
I read the first chapter of this book before I stopped because I had to know what was going to happen. The reason I stopped being that due to reading the preview of the first book I was missing the five chapters of knowledge.

I needed to know what had happened after chapter 6, which lead us to Dorma returning to her burrow.
The above was a beautiful story about grief and expectations overall.

I will say it again if you like Dungeons and Dragons or stuff in that vein you will LOVE this series.
2 stars - It was ok

So apparently this e-ARC (and the previous one) was actually only a sample of the book so going into this book I was very confused as to what happened to the characters. I really wish I had known this wasn’t the full volume before requesting it because it really impacted my enjoyment of the story.

This volume starts a few months after the previous book ended and the group has split up and returned to their homes or in Luvander’s case, on another adventure. I did like seeing the characters in their own lands and their growth since they were introduced. Because I didn’t get the full story I struggled to understand what the overall adventure was, especially for Luvander.

Basically, I would have probably really enjoyed this comic if it had been the full book, but since it wasn’t, I was just confused and disappointed.
Thank you Netgalley and the author/publisher for the chance to review!
The festival of life starts with Dorma's backstory and continues on with Lu trying to find answers. I really enjoyed this and it kept me hooked! I would recommend to a friend who loves fantasy or comics.
This volume continued with the same fantastic plot and world as the first book. Honestly so glad I stumbled upon these as this is one of my new favorite fantasy comics to date. The world is rich, the characters are flawed and well-developed, and the story is gripping! Cannot recommend enough.

(Also the art looks amazing, so that's bonus points)
Cursed dragon princess? Sharp artwork?  Not earth shaking or mind bending, but good, solid old-school entertainment.
Thank you toNetgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

After reading the first volume of this comic book, I got hooked and went to find all the issues that were not in Book 1 that I got from Netgalley and I could understand when I started this one which end at issue 17, anyway, I just liked it and Lu is an amazing funny character that I loved following the adventures. I will be looking for the next issues.

In this book, we will follow our Dragon princess, Lu, in her quest of trying to find a way to break the curse that her kin put on her. She will meet other characters who will either try to help or stop her from finding a solution. We will see Dorma laying her brother to rest and then with Lu, we will go visit prince Aki in his kingdom of The Wandering City of the Scarlet Sands, there some new adventures and mysteries will be waiting our heroine.
I. Need. MORE! I loved this one more than the first one. It starts off following Dorma as she returns home from the Dragons Maw. It goes into a little of her backstory and then to her future. It was a wonderful story and she is quickly becoming a favorite. After a few chapters it switches to Lu and her adventurous ways. She of course gets herself into some trouble and some how comes out at the end. She meets up with an old friend, Prince Aki and his shadow Koro, and they now have their own mystery to solve.

This graphic novel is so amazingly written. The world building is never ending but flows very nicely. As the it moves through the characters, the world increases. I cannot wait for this to release so that I can see becomes of our characters. Definitely after that last page!!
Thank you once again Netgalley and TKO Studios for access to read the preview of book 2. Since I only had access to a preview for the first one, going into book 2 did make me a bit confused ay to what happened with the characters. I was glad however to see Dorma get her own backstory and look into her home, life, and what it means for her to continue on without her brother.

After Dorma's story, we get to se a bit of Lu uncover some hidden truths about herself, but also still looking for pieces to the puzzle. At one point she is called "princess" which makes me wonder if she is half dragon and half human or something else.

Overall a great continuation of the first book, I do think it jumps around too much to stay consistent on one story line which makes reading the series of events a bit confusing. Still enjoyed it none the less.
I received an eARC in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own; thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity.

I was so glad I had the opportunity to see more of the characters in this continuation. As in the first collection, the art truly enhances the world and story profession. This edition kicks off with a deeper dive into character backstory (again very similar to how a good D&D role playing session would go). A bit more of the mystery was revealed as the party splits and reunites and finds new purpose. I like the way the story plays on the “who is the villain here?” trope.

If you liked the first collection do carry on and pick this up - it’s fun and lovely to read.