Cover Image: Ghost Stories of an Antiquary

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary

Princess Fuzzypants here:  Classic stories are fun to read.  Not only is the language more elegant than today, it pays to have a dictionary nearby as words that have fallen out of favour, if they ever were, pop up here and there.  To the modern reader, another huge difference is the details and the minutiae is in the mind rather than explicit on the page.  You could argue that horror is far more horrifying this way.

This is a collection of stories that were first printed in 1904.  There is a good selection of fare but be warned, some of it is downright creepy.  Four purrs and two paws up.
Adored this collection of stories! The introduction to this edition does a fantastic job explaining the tradition they came from, which deeply enriched the reading experience. I'll likely be recommending and rereading for the Christmas season in the historic tradition!
A nice new edition of the classic ghost stories of M.R. James. I don't have a particular affinity towards antiquary-esque reading, but plenty of readers will!
I picked this up thinking it will be good since it survived time and is still in print. But it wasn't my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I love classics and this definitely fits the genre. I think it was a very slow pace /slow build for me. The stories that I was able to finish had good plot twists and maybe I will enjoy some day if I pick it up again.

Maybe others will have better luck!

Thank you #NetGalley and #PoisonedPenPress for giving me the opportunity to read this.
Creepy, slow building stories with lots of atmosphere. Most involve a scholar finding something old and then getting freaked out by an event that follows. There aren’t any real ghosts and they aren’t stories that make you jump but they have a tension, some are spinechilling. My favourites were ‘Number 13’ about a hotel room that doesn’t exist; ‘The Ash Tree’, a witch story; and ‘Lost Hearts’, about missing children and a man who wants to live forever.
Talon-like fingernails scraping  across a door, mysteriously maudlin manuscripts, window vines filled with spiders, ghosts of
murdered waifs ….  you’ll find them all in this curated collection of spooky short stories originally published in 1904. While the scare factor is very tame compared to that of the modern-day horror genre,  this collection captures the old-world charm of classic ghost stories. Grab a mug of cider and read them by the fireplace.
This is going to be a short review.

No one writes ghost stories better than M.R. James. All the modern horror derives in some way from James’ atmospheric stories. If you are an aspiring horror writer, sit down and read this collection front to back, then spin your own tale…   after you stop shivering.
I already read some of the stories featured in this book and knew that M.R. James is a great storyteller of spooky ghost stories.
It was great to read them again and I hope a lot of people will appreciated this master of ghost stories.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Thank you Netgalley,  author, and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this e-arc.

"Lost Hearts" gave me nightmares! There's is nothing like classic horror.
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James
Poisoned Pen Press
Reading this book was like being back with an old friend, an eerie, creepy old friend that is. This is a republication of a book first published in. 1904. Many of the stories are old favorites of mine such as “The Mezzotint” and of course, “Oh, Whistle and I’ll Come to You My Lad.” I always listen to that one on the BBC radio when they play it for Christmas because these stories were originally written to be read Christmas Eve by the. author for friends.
My favorite of the ones new to me has to be “The Lost Hearts.”
Also some very funny, slightly snarky references to golf. I feel the same way he does.
All in all, great fun, just slightly spooky. However, don’t talk to me about spiders anytime soon. Eek!
"Dive into this collection of exquisite, classic horror stories - just make sure to have the lights on and the doors locked.

First published in 1904, Ghost Stories of an Antiquary contains eight tales of supernatural horror by genre master M.R. James. Highly regarded as a masterwork of horror, this collection is a must-have for fans of the frightful.

The stories in this collection include: "Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book," "Lost Hearts," "The Mezzotint," "The Ash-Tree." "Number 13," "Count Magnus," "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad," and "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas.""

If you're an American you've probably heard about how great M.R. James is but have never found any books stateside... well now's your chance to read the master!
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

The history and magic just seem to leak out of every word that was in this book totally magical and perfect for the cooler months.
I’ve been on a haunted house/ghost story kick lately and I’ve heard so many great things about this author and his chilling tales, so I had to start this one immediately!  I must admit, I absolutely agree with all others recommending him as a most on ghost story genre, because he is one chillingly, magnificent writer of the genre!  Some of the tales I enjoyed more than others, but I pretty much enjoyed all.  I think that gave me that creeping dread, goosebumps, and more I was seeking!  If you’re looking for some spine tingling, chilling, and turn the lights on tales, then more than a couple are sure to tickle that spot in this collection!  Highly, highly recommend!

Will buzz around platforms and use top Amazon reviewer number on release!
The Master Of His Craft….
A new edition from Poisoned Pen Press containing eight tales of horror and the supernatural from the master of his craft, M.R. James. As expected, a wholly satisfying read and an especially handsome volume of tales to curl up with next to a roaring fire at that particular time of year which brings pumpkins, ghouls and ghosts out to play.
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary is a collection of old-time ghost stories by M. R. James.  I was not familiar with the author or any of the stories so these were all new to me.  This is a really great collection with thorough notations.   I enjoyed the book a lot.
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of Ghost Stories of an Antiquary.

I've never heard of this author before but I'm always interested in ghost and supernatural stories.

The short stories in this collection are old-fashioned; the writing style and tone is indicative of the time period it was written in.

I respect the author and his stories was groundbreaking at the time, but these stories weren't scary or thrilling to me.

I do recommend readers to give this a try if you're interested in stories with a spooky element, especially if you haven't heard of the author before.
I had previously read only "Oh Whistlen and I'll Come To You My Lad", which of course is a classic; I quite enjoyed the other stories included in this collection, although many do end quite abruptly.  Standouts include "The Ash-Tree", "The Mezzotint", and "Number 13".  A solid collection of an author who should be more widely read these days.
I knew I had to request this handsome new edition of Ghost Stories of an Antiquary as soon as I saw it, even though I've read it a few times before. M.R. James was a true master of the ghost story and his characters and settings did much to move the genre beyond the stereotypical chain rattling of some of the early days. With narrators that are generally some sort of skeptical scholar forced into a strange situation through the discovery of a lost object, James was the master of the sort of slow burn horror that has now come into vogue in many of our most popular shows, cinema, and literature.

This would already be a heavyweight collection if it only had stories such as "The Mezzotint", "Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book," and "Lost Hearts", but it also contains one of the definitive ghost stories in the canon, "Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad." Ergo, I can't rate this anything less than five stars.

**I was given a copy of this book by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Poisoned Pen Press**