Cover Image: The Book of Magic

The Book of Magic

I have to admit something that I don't know if I have ever said aloud - I don't think Practical Magic is the greatest book. Now, I admit, some of that is because I saw the movie first (at probably an entirely inappropriate age while we are at it). I really enjoyed the film and did not actually read the book until my mid twenties. The book is good, but it only captured me in some moments and felt too different from my nostalgic rememberings of the book for me to fully enjoy. Nostalgia, like hype, can really ruin a good story.

Nonetheless, I eventually picked up the prequel, Rules of Magic, after having my daughter in the midst of some late nights feeding sessions. Released 20 years after Practical Magic and I truly fell in love with the entire Owens family. Hoffman's writing felt deeper and more connected with the story. The book felt as though it was just connected enough to Practical Magic but different enough that it could stand on its own.

5 years later in 2020, Magic Lessons, was released. I don't think that I am alone in saying that fantasy and magical realism was a real life saver in the midst of the challenge of 2020. I was so excited to read the book and I remember that I was in the midst of writing my thesis when it was released. I went to the beach to work by myself for 2 nights and my reward at the end of the day was being able to step into Hoffman's magical world. The story felt so perfectly woven.

Needless to say, when I saw that a final book was coming out, I was quite determined to get my hands on it. Thanks to the ever so kind people at NetGalley, I was able to read it early. As an ending book, it definitely achieved what it set out to do - finish the series. However, it was shaky at time as Chrissy described. The first section of the book truly does feel like coming home. The magic of Hoffman's writing is truly melting off the page. Then, it goes a little wobbly in its storytelling. It was just too long without enough substance to keep me fully engaged through the middle of the book. I think some of it was we had so many characters and most of them lacked some warmth. The relationships just felt a little contrived at points. By the end, though, I was back on board with it. The ending genuinely made me smile, even if it was a bit predictable, and I felt like all of the books were brought together nicely.

One of the things that I really enjoyed with Hoffman's writing on all four of these books is that they all could be read as a stand alone book. She drops enough detail from the other books that serve as reminders to those who have them all, but also would just be interesting tidbits if you only knew about or read the single book. That takes a lot of nimble writing. If you haven't read any of the series, but would like to then I would recommend reading them in chronological order instead of published order because they jump back and forth strangely in the published order. You can learn more about the reading order by visiting Alice Hoffman's website.

Hoffman is always an author that I enjoy seeing what she comes up with next. She often deftly handles magical realism and when her writing is good, it's really good.
In the final book of the Practical Magic series, Alice Hoffman takes us back to the lives of the Owens family. They have been unlucky in love for over three hundred years, but Kylie Owens is in a race against time to change that. As the family travels across continents to save the life of one young man, the younger Owens discover secrets they never knew existed, while the older Owens realize the cost of keeping those secrets.

I struggled some with this one at the beginning, but was soon invested in the story of the generations. It was easy to fall back into their stories - Hoffman gives enough background to remind you of who is who and what they did previously to keep the story going without feeling like she's recapping the previous 2 books. This was well done and a great ending to this series.

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Available October 12, 2021.
This book is so bittersweet. If you are a fan of Alice Hoffmans previous work, this one is a no brainer! As the last installment in the series, Hoffman does an exceptional job at bringing this series to a close while keeping the story alive. This book has all of the components her books always have and what I love in a story; magic, strong women, potions, herbal recipes, and beautiful settings. If you love witch stories, magic, or long stories with strong characters please pick up this series! You won’t regret it!

Thank you to the publisher for my e-copy in exchange for a review!

I received a complimentary Kindle book from NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you to Alice Hoffman, Simon Schuster, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

First off, I must confess that I have loved and adored The Practical Magic series. The Owens family has been so incredible for so many reasons! I am so sad to say goodbye to them and am tearing up as I write this. The most important and best part of this series is it is a book about women as the main characters, witches (who doesn't like them?), love, and a woman author!!

I have read many of Alice Hoffman's books and The Book of Magic was brilliant. The author has a lovely, luscious style of writing that is engrossing. Honestly, I only wish that I had found her books SOONER!! But, I am slowly making my way through the unread books and hopefully more incredible books to come.

What a FANTASTIC way to end the series. Alice Hoffman just has THE GIFT of writing. I so didn't want to read this book because I knew that that series was over, but once I got going I just couldn't stop reading it. That is THE sign of a brilliant book!!

HIGHLY recommend!!!
5.0 stars!!
What a wonderful way to end the series!

This book is a bit different than the first three books, but it is the best of them. I loved the movie Practical Magic though I think it influenced me too much where instead of just enjoying the book, I spent most of the time comparing the two. But the two prequel books (written after Practical Magic) were fantastic. Magic Lessons was Maria’s story and how the Owen’s curse originated. The Rules of Magic was the story of Frannie, Jet and their brother Vincent and was so very awesome. This book involves all the main characters from The Rules of Magic and Practical Magic in a great story about love and family.

I can easily see this being made into a movie. The movie Practical Magic takes place when Sally and Gillian are in their twenties and Sally’s children Antonia and Kylie are young. This book takes place when The aunts are in their 80’s, Sally and Gillian are in their 40’s, Antonia and Kylie are both attending Harvard. It could definitely be made into a movie with the same actresses. Though the ages would just need a bit of fudging.

Though I definitely didn’t need it in movie form to picture it all in my head and I really enjoyed every bit of this book. Alice Hoffman has a writing style that truly lends itself to this genre extremely well. It makes even the smallest things sound a bit magical. I liked the way the previous books had so many little touches of magic here and there. These witches are no Samantha, Sabrina, or Charmed sisters. They have small magics, potions for healing and the sight.

Not that they can’t do bigger magic, but a lot of the more showy magic is left handed magic or dark magic and there is always a price to be paid for that type of magic. Left handed magic is what Maria Owens used to curse her descendants, trying to prevent them from heartache like she suffered. So to this day, anyone an Owens loves is ruined and in turn so are they when they lose that love.

The family finds out in this book that to get rid of the curse, you have to walk the crooked path and left handed magic is what will remove the curse, though it will take a sacrifice. The Owens family goes on a journey to save one of their own who sets out to remove the curse and save the man she loves. They want to save her from harm because they know that she will be following a dark path to get what her heart desires most. All I can say is I loved it and when will the movie come out?

I voluntarily read & reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts & opinions are my own.
Thank you so much to Simon and Schuster for sending me The Book of Magic in exchange for my honest review.  The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman is the conclusion to the Practical Magic series.  Might I say that the ending was a perfect way to finish the series?  This book brings characters back from the past books and just really puts the reader in the Halloween spirit!
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The final installment of the Practical Magic series is here! I have loved the Owens family since Practical Magic and have enjoyed each book in the series, even though Hoffman's writing annoys me a little. It's just not my style BUT I love the stories. This was similar - I enjoyed the story, I liked the characters and development, and I loved the end, but the book was a little slow in parts. That's fine - still 4 stars from me!
First let me start off by saying I love Alice Hoffman's writing she does such a wonderful job being descriptive. However, I have come to terms that this series is sadly not for me. I find that it is just to drawn out. Giving 3 stars since her writing is lovely. Wish I. Could have connected with the characters but I had a hard time staying enticed in the story and following along.
First we had Practical Magic, and when the movie came out, everyone was introduced to the Owens women.  Then we had Rules of Magic and Magic Lessons.  Now, Alice Hoffman gives us the final books in the Owens Family saga, The Book of Magic, and what an ending to the series it is!  In a way I’m a little sad to see it end, but then again, I am grateful to have closure too.

I think it’s time to dust off the first book and read them all over again.  If you haven’t read the other books in the series, or missed one or two in between, get them now, you’re going to want to read them all over again too.  No one tells a story like Alice Hoffman…and no other witchy family captures your heart quite like the Owens ladies.  Settle in for the duration, because you won’t be putting this book down until you turn the last page.
Alice Hoffman has done it once again. From the first word of this book she stole my heart away and I was not  booking it down until I had finished it. The author's latest installment in her Practical Magic series did not disappoint this long time fan in the teeniest bit. I also find that even if you aren't a reader who is as familiar with the character in these books they still read fantastically on their own. 10/10 would recommend. should be a must read on everyone's fall witchy tbrs!
The Owens family witches have been cursed for over 300 years. They are forbidden to fall in love. If one of the family members breaks this rule, their loved ones suffer fatal consequences. When Aunt Jet is nearing the end of her life she sets the wheels in motion to end this curse and release the family from a loveless life. The story begins in the Magnolia house outside of Boston and we are reintroduced to the many (many) characters and their plight to hide love. Ultimately traveling to Europe to reunite with long lost brother Vincent, Jets sister Franny and the younger nieces use their unusual gifts to search for answers and break the spell that has been controlling their lives all these years. This is the fourth and final of the Owens saga. I have read them all and unfortunately this was my least favorite. There was an enormous amount of extraneous background information and too many confusing character timelines to follow. I love the witches but this one dragged on and on with very little happening. If you have read the other three - The Book of Magic brings closure for the Owens but is sadly not very enticing.
In Alice Hoffman’s newest novel she brings her acclaimed Owens family saga to it’s compelling end as they all set out to put an end to the curse that has plagued for them for centuries. After the loss of one of their beloved family members and witnessing the curse still wreaking it’s havoc on the family, all three generations must work together to put an end to it once and for all.

Alice Hoffman’s writing is distinct, lyrical and moving. To my mind she writes magical realism better than anyone and nowhere is it more beautifully showcased than in this series.  I loved how she brings all the generations together in one book. Every character you have loved and some the reader really gets to know for the first time. Yes, this book is about witches and magic, but ultimately it is about love in its many varied forms. Between siblings, parents and children and between lovers. About the love amongst families, those one is born into and those we make for ourselves. And it is about what lengths one will go to and the sacrifices one is willing to make fore those they love.

I will miss the Owens family, but this book was the perfect finale to their story.  Surely, to write such an entertaining and stirring novel is a work of magic in and of itself.

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for this advance reader’s edition in exchange for an honest and fair review.
✨ The Title/Cover Draw:
Having read Practical Magic and Magic Lessons, I had to pick up this book. Thanks to Simon and Schuster for sending it to me to read ahead of publication.

💜 What I liked:
The story wraps up the Practical magic storyline nicely, weaving the 4 books in the series seamlessly. One thing I love about Alice Hoffman’s writing is her ability to just take you to any place and just let you breathe into the story.

😱 What I didn’t like:
I only didn’t like that this was the end.

🚦 My face at the end: 🥰

💭 5 Reasons to Read:
1. Story of love
2. Magic
3. Beautiful descriptions
4. Calm writing style
5. Female Empowerment

🕧 Mini-Summary:
When Kylie sets off to break the Owens curse to save the man she loves, the rest of the family travels to find her. Everyone finds themselves at the beginning of Maria and Hannah’s journey in England.

I'm so sad to see this series come to an end. The middle portion of the book dragged a bit for me, but the rest of the story more than made up for that. I already can't wait to re-read the entire series!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free e-copy.
After reading The Book of Magic, I’m both happy and sad….happy to once again become immersed in the lives of the quirky Owens family. And sad that this is to be the last book in the series. It’s a wonderful book and I loved revisiting the history of the family, which is so beautifully woven into this book. The book is fine as a stand alone, but I’m looking forward to re-reading the whole series.
In The Book of Magic, Ms. Hoffman starts us in Massachusetts, and then takes us to France and, most importantly, England, as we explore the world of magic and the Owens family over the centuries.
The Book of Magic was one of my favorite books of the year and thanks to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for the opportunity to read the book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the story of the Owens women and the curse they have had for generations. Jet and Franny’s relationship is so sweet and the description of their love for Sally and Gillian tugged at my heart throughout the story. The story follows the older generation and the new, Kylie and Antonia. These women are all so brave, fierce and their love is inspiring.

The writing is exquisite. It made me tear up whenever certain characters thought about their love for each other. The world building makes the reader feel transported. The folklore and tidbits of wisdom sprinkled throughout the book are invaluable. I loved how the love of libraries, books, and writing was central to the story and the lives of the characters depended on it. There is romance in the story but the true love story is about the family. I would recommend this to someone who has time to savor the writing in order to truly appreciate the family relationships. Maybe you will also feel all the emotions whilst reading about these incredible women and their sacrifices for each other.  Thank you to NetGalley ,Simon & Schuster and Alice Hoffman for the Arc in exchange for an honest review.
Alice Hoffman does it again! I love these sisters, I love this family, I love this story, and The Book of Magic is just as strong as any of the rest!
I’m going to give this book 3 stars because I think it can appeal to a lot of readers who enjoy fantasy and the Practical Magic series.  I have read two of the other books in this series, and have found that the series does not appeal to me (even though I really kept trying!).  However, I am huge fan of Alice Hoffman; she has written some of my favorite books, including The Dovekeepers, The Museum of Extraordinary Things, The Story Sisters, The Red Garden, and The World That We Knew.  I found the pacing of this book slow, and I had a hard time being re-introduced to so many characters at the beginning of the book.  Readers who remember the characters and stories easier from the prequels may not have found it quite so overwhelming.  The 2nd half of the book picked up, and the ending was a satisfying conclusion for the series and Owens family.  I recommend this book for those that have enjoyed the others in the series.

Thank you very much to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the advanced reader’s copy of this book.
Thank you Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for this incredible arc!

Wow! This is an emotional roller-coaster of a sequel to Practical Magic! Alice Hoffman provides the reader with everything they need: love, friendship, romance, conflict,  and throughout it all... MAGIC.

This story is about the whole family equally.  Jet, Franny, Gillian, Sally, Kylie and Antonia... even Vincent!  It was such a joy to read not to mention very heartwarming and heartbreaking at times... Beware: you will need tissues!!

Jet finds The Book Of the Raven which leads Kylie to England to break the curse haunting her family for generations.  Of course, almost the entire family go after her and the adventure gets serious.   There is a battle between right and left, good and evil, lightness and darkness.   This story could be a tragedy but there is just so much love in these pages it's hard not to feel it.

I definitely recommend this to fans of Practical Magic and Alice Hoffman!
The Book of Magic is the fourth book in the Practical Magic series by Alice Hoffman, and the first sequel to Practical Magic.

The conclusion of the Practical Magic series focuses on the younger generation who haven’t been told of their family’s past history and in particular their family curse.

I have enjoyed the previous Practical Magic books. I am sad to say that I didn’t connect with this one. It seemed to drag on with a slow pace. Even though I’ve read the other books I had a hard time keeping straight who was who and would have benefited from a family tree.

Thanks to Net Galley for an advanced copy of this book.