Cover Image: The Noise

The Noise

Co-written by the tag team of James Patterson and J.D. Barker, “The Noise” is a pounding thriller like that horror movie you can’t peel your eyes off of. Although the authors give the reader plenty of alternating points of view, the reader is slowly and skillfully led into it just as the characters are without much clue as to what is going on and what is coming next. And, if you like thrillers, this is just how you like it.

All set in the tranquil Pacific Northwest, which appears to be not-so-tranquil anymore, the story begins with a pair of young girls (Tennant and Sophie) whose family are off-the-grid survivalists, but nothing prepared them for what they have to survive now. Their small Mt. Hood town is ripped asunder and survival, if that’s what you are going to call it, means having everything ripped apart and blood pouring from their eyes and ears and noses. But, they seem to be the only survivors.

The scene switches to a doctor (Martha) taken out of her ordinary life with military-precision and taken by black ops helicopters to somewhere in the Northwest where something has happened. Given no information whatsoever, the doctor and a team of specialists are expected to come to some conclusions. But what they find staggers any expectations they might have. It is a phenomena that can barely be explained unless it comes from something out of this world or something that had been buried deep beneath the world for ages like a Balrog out of Lord of the Rings.

What makes this thriller work so well is that the reader is kept in mystery for much of the book just as the characters are and the reader discovers things slowly, things that do not make much sense.

It was exciting to receive an advance copy, but hard to put down even when you have a million things to do. Coming soon to a bookstore near you.
I grew up reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Two incredible writers with very active imaginations.  J D Barker has been likened to the same calibre of King and Koontz. Sorry, but I don't agree.  Barker has surpassed the masters.

To be asked if I would like to read an advanced copy of The Noise was like being a kid at Christmas.
A new JD Barker novel? Hell, yes!!!
Excited does not begin to describe how I felt as this book was downloading to my Kindle. Internet, don't fail me now.

The Noise by J D Barker and James Patterson,  their second collaboration,  is an amazing roller-coaster read. Full of twists and turns,  mysterious characters and a fast paced narrative, it keeps you hooked until the very end.
At the turn of each page, the end of each chapter,  you find yourself questioning where these two amazing authors are taking you. It's certainly one hell of a ride.

So sit back, get comfortable and put your phone on silent. You won't want the interruption.