Cover Image: Artie and the Wolf Moon

Artie and the Wolf Moon

Growing up can be stressful enough, but after sneaking outside one night, Artie (short for Artemis) finds out her mother is a werewolf, and so is Artie, even though she hasn't "shifted" yet. Artie and the Wolf Moon discovers and develops family and community support, belonging, Black History, and manages to add in a bit of romance as well. It's a beautiful story, and I recommend it for the middle school, YA, and adult audiences!
8th grader Artemis "Artie" Irvin, bullied as one of the few Black people at her school, finds solace in her favorite activity, old school film photography. Artie ventures out late one night to take pictures and encounters a wolf who ends up on Artie's doorstep. Artie's sees the wolf transforms into her mother, demands answers and is introduced to her heritage as a werewolf - including why vampires pose a threat to them. The narrative weaves deftly through time, going back to the origins of werewolves during slavery, to Artie's late human father's romance with her mother, to Artie's coming of age in the werewolf community. The queer romance between Artie and Maya, who Artie meets in the community, is sweet. The art integrates with the story beautifully; color is used skillfully to set time, place, and ominous moods. This just-scary-enough book will delight middle schoolers. The werewolves are all Black and the vampires are light skinned.
A great graphic novel with a coming of age story intertwined perfectly with the paranormal. The illustrations are wonderful and full of life. It also has just the right amount of spooky vibes.
I love a good graphic novel, and this book really did it for me! The fantasy and family mix was a very nice flip on the typical tone of werewolves. Normally, werewolves seem to be portrayed as scary monsters who go hide in fear alone from society. This story makes the werewolves as a pack front and centre. The family unit is important and learning about one's self is key. I liked that aspect, especially since this book was more fun and friendly about it.

Artie wants to learn all about herself, her family and werewolves in this coming of age story. Her Mother recruits family and friends to help her learn about the story behind her lore. Throw in Artie's crush on Maya and the secret past of her family... and you've got one fun hit on your hands. Oh, and did I mention the illustrations are also SO FABULOUS. I love them. They work so well with this story.

The mythology of the story is cool too, with the freedom aspect being heightened. I think, overall, this book did justice to what I would want in a positive spin on werewolves. There's so many ways to do werewolves "wrong" or make them not relate to the reader, but I think this book did a great job of making werewolves not seem as scary and seem more like just a "different" kind of person. Not different in a bad way of course, similar to how your neighbours might drive you insane from their recycling ways but there's nothing bad about them. They're different from you, but not bad.

This book will make you smile, laugh and cry as Artie learns more about herself. It's a true coming of age story in a fun, fantasy environment. Add in the LGBT presence, and it's got one heck of a story that does representation well. The whole book felt very cohesive and nice to read. It was elegant and just all around awesome. It's hard to find books like this these days (at least for me), so finding one that wows my socks off... Well, I just have to share it!

I highly recommend!

Five out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
1st Line: "Oregon. Early September."

Prose (Story): When teenager Artemis "Artie" Irvin accidentally discovers she comes from a long line of werewolves, she sets out to learn more about not only the history or her family, but also of the relationship between her mother and late father - who died before she was even born. But among the many other things Artie's mother needs to teach her is that a far more fierce predator awaits in the darkness. One that takes particular pleasure in hunting fresh, young werewolves.

Don's (Review): Though the trope of a young girl missing the long-deceased father she never knew, trying to learn more about him from a mother who doesn't talk much about the past - period - is fairly familiar, author Olivia Stephens makes Artie a fresh and sympathetic character from the beginning. So much so, when the girl accidentally sees her mother transforming from wolf to human and learns her full heritage at last, the reader is just as frustrated when Artie's mom still manages to avoid revealing more about her past, their family, and especially Artie's dad. But it's hard to ignore your dauther's budding werewolf traits - especially when the girl has a mild freakout at school, while being bullied by classmates, and very nearly transforms in front of them - so things become clearer at last when Mom brings in some loving found-family members to help teach Artie how to best handle her lineage. It's no spoiler to reveal that Artie also soon learns of the real enemy out there - vampires - and for me at least here is where the book faltered just a bit; the author makes a couple of change-ups to the vampire legend, including what happens when you kill one, that felt just a bit forced, as if changed only to better fit the story here. That said, this graphic novel remains a winner, with strong characters you care about (especially our heroine), plenty of action, and dark, moody illustrations that fit the tale perfectly - not to mention the LGBTQ+-inclusive  storyline (Artie develops a crush on another girl) and largely African-American cast. There's a lot to enjoy here, and while I feel the book could have benefitted from one more edit been a bit shorter, it's a no-brainer to recommend this werewolf vs. vamps tale with bite. Yeah - I went there.  4/5 stars

NOTE: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
I wish this book was published when I was a child! This is fun and creepy and just wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about this graphic novel. The art was wonderful and brought the story alive. Also this is queen and the representation was just perfect. I love this graphic novel!
This comic was so rad!! This is a perfect read for younger teens with some middle grade crossover appeal. Artie is a Black girl loner & late bloomer whose shift into a werewolf is incited by bullies at her school.

Artie would have freaked out had she not discovered she comes from a long line of werewolves just a few weeks prior. Struggling to adjust to her newfound supernatural powers, her mom takes her to visit a town of werewolves just ninety miles away. Here, Artie finds the community, family, and crush (heart eyes) she has long craved.

But along comes trouble when feuding vampires track them down. At its heart is a thrilling coming of age story about learning how to accept support and realizing that you deserve love that celebrates you not just whatever attention you can get.
A great coming-of-age story that combines family issues with the supernatural. Artie and her mum are likeable, robust, strong-willed women. Most of the characters are complex and their family history and dynamics drive the plot of the story. There's a bit of romance and mystery and a real emphasis on community. The artwork is dynamic, the people look believable and the forrests evoke a lush, otherworldliness.
Perfect for the up coming spooky months. I would love to see a whole series of the wolf adventures going forward but it was a complete story on it's own that was very good. The character development with the family relationships was nice to see, but I would have liked to dig deeper into some of the points there.
I love what Stephens has done with the lore here. Not only do we have a unique approach to vampires, we have a solid representation of race relations. Visually interesting and easy enough to read.
5 stars. This graphic novel was so wholesome and fun. I hope there are more because I loved Artie's story and I loved all the relationships she formed throughout. Review to come.
Artie Irvin knows she’s different. She’s not the sort to keep her head in the clouds but keep her heart in taking her camera out and photographing the world and getting to develop the film that captures her life’s views. She tries to blend into the background and stay out of the thick of things but fails; she sticks out like a sore thumb to the worst people in all the wrong ways. She’s almost like a Black girl out of time, and she can’t figure out why. This kid is always in the wrong place, and she hates it. All she’s got in this world is her widowed mother, and they live in rural Oregon.

One fateful night she spots a massive wolf―then watches it throw on a bathrobe and transform into her mom! Mom is a werewolf which means so is Artie. Mom has been waiting for the “right time” to share their family’s lineage, calling for a road trip back home, a place where her mother never thought she’d return to. Artie is beyond thrilled, which means there’s good and bad. She gets to figure out her own wolf-like abilities with a community, and she also learns about the story of her late father and the big evil behind the big trauma in her life: Vampires!

Stephens weaves several big themes into this marvelous narrative―the need for community, the desire to figure out who you are in the weird phase of puberty and growing up, and how inter-generational healing can come in waves, so the story doesn’t always stop at trauma. Add to this narrative majesty that this is a story of a queer, pre-teen Black girl who ends up having a crush on a new friend, and that aspect of the story does not evolve into sad, humiliating plot territory.

Artie and the Wolf Moon explores not just this Black mother-daughter dynamic, but this community and the other Black Werewolf families that Artie’s mom introduces her to. It was just so delightful I had to pause several times to wipe my eyes. It is utterly beautiful and illuminating to see so many Black folks on the page, all of which are interesting characters with personalities, truths, and expressions. Every character is multi-dimensional and never falls flat and only adds to the story’s richness, which is at least half the cost of admission here, folks.

Stephens’ artwork here is both a thrill to look at and connect with. And look…you never know what book you need until it is one about a Black preteen girl who has a werewolf lineage sitting at home in her satin bonnet. My heart! Stephen has also played up light and color in her comics and other illustrative work so well that it makes sense that Artie and the other Black characters never, ever look washed out or forgotten on the pages. Even though much of the action takes place at night, and as day makes way for dusk, the werewolf transformation sequences are always new, fresh, and dope to look at. And given that the big baddies in the book are vampires, it is so interesting to see their contrast—how they blend in, fight, and terrorize generation after generation.

At 256 pages, this graphic novel effectively fills out a full story that ends with closure and a lot of heart. Paced well with all the right emotional beats, this book will be adored by the middle-grade age group by those eager readers looking for more Black girls in their graphic novels. The author has been quoted as saying that “the book is about family, community-building, making mistakes, and facing your fears” if you’re on board for that, be sure to purchase it when available in your area!

Artie and The Wolf Moon is a beautiful, coming-of-age tale that we don’t see often and should see more of. If you love your stories about queer Black girls learning about the world with a heavy dose of family and growing up along with a supernatural twist—this one is for you.
After sneaking out and watching her mother, Artie is surprised and excited to discover she is from a line of werewolves. As Artie figures out her newfound abilities, various family join in to help.

Olivia Stephens’ Artie and the Wolf Moon is a fantastic LGBTQ+ affirming, supernatural graphic novel for tweens. It’s a tale of family and support, of love and loss, and of finding and being true to oneself.
Artie and the Wolf Moon is a fantastic coming of age graphic novel. Artie is a teen with a love for photography, then she finds out her mom is a lycanthrope. Teen life just got weirder.
  I really enjoyed a take on werewolf lore that I'd never really heard before, which was amazing, and the vampire lore is a new one as well. The artwork is very well done and, given there are plenty of night scenes, are not colored too dark. Artie's family gave me the warm fuzzies and while I was thrilled for a love interest sub-plot, I didn't feel it quite worked they way the author hoped. Overall, great story and really fabulous graphic novel!
Dark and spooky in the best way! I've got my fingers crossed that this is a series opener. I want to see what happens with Artie and her friends and family next.
I'm not sure why but this just kept falling under my radar as something I have to read.
And I was missing out on a fantastic werewolf graphic novel, some amazing characters. Watching Artie grow and find her place was fun.

I also enjoyed that this wasn't just about blood family, but also that found family is just as important.

This book was so interesting that I want to share it with everyone.
i can't overstate enough that this is one of my favorite graphic novel reads of the year! it's rare to read a story about werewolves that centers family above all, especially as thoughtfully as Artie and the Wolf Moon does. artie and her mother's relationship is front-and-center throughout the novel, but one of the most skillful parts of the novel is how, as the reader, our perspective is largely restrained to artie's view, so when she's acting out against her mother or lashing out against her friends, it's understandable! we see the exact trajectory of her emotions right up and until they boil over and, though the reader likely isn't a werewolf, it's such a universal and relatable feeling that artie feels isolated from her peers and that she's not sure that her mother understands her, even with the secret they share. on the other side of the coin, we can also see artie's mother struggle to raise a child in complete isolation from her community because she wants to keep her safe, which is derived from her lived trauma of losing her husband. the character writing in this is stunning, the art uses colors so skillfully, and i got teary on multiple occasions just seeing the characters come together to support one another.
An 8th grader discovers that she comes from a family of werewolves and joins the battle against the vampire coven that killed her father.

Expressive artwork brings to life a story of a young woman finding her place in her community. Though a high stakes fantasy plot forms the central conflict, the core of the novel is the bonds of parents and children and familial love in general. The protagonist and her family are Black, which will contribute much-needed diversity to graphic novel and middle grade fantasy collections. I recommend purchasing this book for middle school and public library juvenile collections.
This comic was so unoriginal it was painful to finish it, I was bored the whole time I was reading it and honestly I don’t recommend it.

Artie is a normal young girl who loves photography and is bullied on school, one day she disobey her mother leaving the house at night on a full moon and discovers that her mother is in fact a werewolf and wait, she’s one too.
They travel to some weird town full of werewolves where Artie can learn better about being one, she also discover that vampires are real and the bad guys.

Honestly I’ve read this plot on books and comics so many times, imagine how tired I’m. There’s absolutely nothing original about it, it’s so full of cliches poorly done.

The only thing I actually liked was the representation, Artie and her family are all poc and she falls in love with a girl ( I got a little confused at that because I thought she was her cousin? or related to her somehow, but it was never really explain the relationship between Artie’s mother and Maise’s father so I don’t really know,)

The art is not bad but it wasn’t one of my favorites, I just felt like some of the traces were weird, it seemed like it was done very rushed.
I loved this graphic novel so much. Artie and the Wolf Moon is a great coming-of-age story about Artie becoming the wolf that is inside of her and finding herself. This story is as much about the character development of Artie as it is about her mother, Loretta. They both go through a transition of accepting their fate and their life and moving forward. This is a great read for middle grade and teen readers.

Growing pains, bullying, loss of a loved one, family, self-acceptance, violence. These are just some of the themes that are present in this story.