Cover Image: Artie and the Wolf Moon

Artie and the Wolf Moon

I'm not sure why but this just kept falling under my radar as something I have to read.
And I was missing out on a fantastic werewolf graphic novel, some amazing characters. Watching Artie grow and find her place was fun.

I also enjoyed that this wasn't just about blood family, but also that found family is just as important.

This book was so interesting that I want to share it with everyone.
i can't overstate enough that this is one of my favorite graphic novel reads of the year! it's rare to read a story about werewolves that centers family above all, especially as thoughtfully as Artie and the Wolf Moon does. artie and her mother's relationship is front-and-center throughout the novel, but one of the most skillful parts of the novel is how, as the reader, our perspective is largely restrained to artie's view, so when she's acting out against her mother or lashing out against her friends, it's understandable! we see the exact trajectory of her emotions right up and until they boil over and, though the reader likely isn't a werewolf, it's such a universal and relatable feeling that artie feels isolated from her peers and that she's not sure that her mother understands her, even with the secret they share. on the other side of the coin, we can also see artie's mother struggle to raise a child in complete isolation from her community because she wants to keep her safe, which is derived from her lived trauma of losing her husband. the character writing in this is stunning, the art uses colors so skillfully, and i got teary on multiple occasions just seeing the characters come together to support one another.
An 8th grader discovers that she comes from a family of werewolves and joins the battle against the vampire coven that killed her father.

Expressive artwork brings to life a story of a young woman finding her place in her community. Though a high stakes fantasy plot forms the central conflict, the core of the novel is the bonds of parents and children and familial love in general. The protagonist and her family are Black, which will contribute much-needed diversity to graphic novel and middle grade fantasy collections. I recommend purchasing this book for middle school and public library juvenile collections.
This comic was so unoriginal it was painful to finish it, I was bored the whole time I was reading it and honestly I don’t recommend it.

Artie is a normal young girl who loves photography and is bullied on school, one day she disobey her mother leaving the house at night on a full moon and discovers that her mother is in fact a werewolf and wait, she’s one too.
They travel to some weird town full of werewolves where Artie can learn better about being one, she also discover that vampires are real and the bad guys.

Honestly I’ve read this plot on books and comics so many times, imagine how tired I’m. There’s absolutely nothing original about it, it’s so full of cliches poorly done.

The only thing I actually liked was the representation, Artie and her family are all poc and she falls in love with a girl ( I got a little confused at that because I thought she was her cousin? or related to her somehow, but it was never really explain the relationship between Artie’s mother and Maise’s father so I don’t really know,)

The art is not bad but it wasn’t one of my favorites, I just felt like some of the traces were weird, it seemed like it was done very rushed.
I loved this graphic novel so much. Artie and the Wolf Moon is a great coming-of-age story about Artie becoming the wolf that is inside of her and finding herself. This story is as much about the character development of Artie as it is about her mother, Loretta. They both go through a transition of accepting their fate and their life and moving forward. This is a great read for middle grade and teen readers.

Growing pains, bullying, loss of a loved one, family, self-acceptance, violence. These are just some of the themes that are present in this story.
This is fantastic. A super quick and enjoyable read. It's been nominated as to the quick pick for reluctant readers list, and I think it definitely deserves it. I'm excited to see a print copy.
this graphic novel did not disappoint! i've been reading an increasing number of comics to balance out my own prose reading, and this was another gem! full of mythological references (which i'm always here for) and a kickass main character, i would highly recommend this (criminally underrated) book to any seasoned or beginner comic reader.
I can't wait to have a physical copy in my hands to read. This was everything. It's cute for one and the story has all of my favorite things; werewolves, vampires, family drama and even a little love story woven in.

Perfect for anyone who like middle grade graphic novels, supernatural things and stories of lovely found families.
Absolutely adorable and fun!  The graphics are well done and I love the family Dynamic in this ! Will read again around October for some Halloween werewolf vibes!
Artie has never felt like she belongs, particularly not as the only Black girl in her all-white rural Oregon town. The only thing that keeps her grounded is photography, particularly while using her late dad’s camera and his equipment—and the other are the strange rules her mother imposes on her, like never leaving the house at night. But one night, the moon is just too full and gorgeous, and Artie sneaks out to take some pictures—and runs into a wolf! Scrambling to get away, she is shocked when the wolf runs up to their back porch and…tugs on a bathrobe? So turns out there are some secrets in Artie’s family tree, but wolves and human bullies are the worst of her concerns. That would be the vampires.

Okay, that’s a wild synopsis right there, but lemme tell you that this was just fantastic. I loved it.

There is so much Black history seamlessly wrapped into the werewolf mythos, and the sense of family and community and moving past the hurts of old history to find something new. And there’s the wonderful exploration of discovering your own power with people who are just like you in every way.

And, of course, the idea of friendship. Artie, a girl who has always wanted to belong but never did, finds herself making two new friends: the werewolf daughter of her mom’s childhood friend who lives too far away, and the new girl in school, who is impossibly cool (and a little pushy).

With budding teenage rebellion and growing independence, Artie explores her world and finds herself walking into a trap that had been laid for years—and few ways out.

Like I said, it’s so good! Very quick, and the artwork is just *chef’s kiss* perfection.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

Artie and the Wolf Moon releases September 7, 2021, from Graphic Universe.
A very unique and refreshing take on the common trope of werewolves versus vampires.  The story of Artie, her immediate family and the discovery of her mythical creature family is touching and will definitely resonate with readers.
This was a fantastic graphic novel, I loved how the mythologies of werewolves and vampires were used in this story. I really enjoyed Artie as a main character, and her mom and extended wolf family were really great as well. I liked that everyone had flaws and did some growing throughout this book. The themes of racism, grief, and feeling like an outsider were woven into the main story nicely.

Even though this is marked as middle grade, this is one that straddles the border of YA so it would make for a great read for anyone in either age group (and adults of course!).
Not to long after sneaking out late at night, something her mother has always warned her about, and seeing a huge wolf change into her mother, Artie must come to terms with her own wolf side.  Artie gets her mom now to talk about everything she never would including her late father.

This was a really good book with awesome graphics.  It has loads of action and suspense you could cut with a knife. This will be appealing to many with the paranormal mixed in seamlessly with life as we know it.  I think this would be a good addition to any collection.

This review will appear on my blog on Sept. 7th.
Very entertaining coming of age and social justice twist on the Werewolves vs. Vampires trope.  The art was energetic and captured the feeling of discovering who you are as a teenager, but amped up when you discover you're a superpowered werewolf.  The themes of growth and family were foregrounded and the themes of racial and sexual equality were more lightly treated but still very important to the plot and character development.  And the story was a lot of fun!  The plot wasn't the most unique, and there were some plot points that were relatively predictable, but the characters and their relationships and growth more than made up for that.  And werewolf races! And werewolf fights!
Artie and the Wolf Moon is, on the surface, a YA graphic novel about werewolves and vampires, but there's so much more waiting for you here. Artie Irvin lives with her mom, a park ranger. She's a burgeoning photographer who sneaks out one night, against her mother's wishes, to take some photographs and discovers a huge wolf that somehow morphs into her mother! Confronting her mother, Artie learns that she comes from a long line of werewolves, but may be a "late bloomer" because she hasn't shifted yet. Artie's mom agrees to tell her about everything, including her late father, but when racist bullies at school lead to Artie shifting, her mom realizes it's time to introduce her daughter to her family - and learn about what it means to be shifter.

Olivia Stephens has created a truly original werewolf story with origins in Black history, infused with the power of the wolf to guard and survive. I could read stories about every character in Artie's family and still want to read more; I love Olivia Stephens's storytelling and artwork so much. She creates realistic characters and her origin story reminds me of indigenous artwork with earth tones and primitive figures. She creates harrowing moments in the struggle between wolf and vampire and gives readers an incredible story of Black culture, community, family, and history. Fantastic storytelling and I want more.
Artie and the wolf moon is a coming of age story with lots of surprises. Becoming a wolf and defending her pack her pack she didn’t know existed is a surprise for here. Great illustrations and writing.
Artie and the Wolf Moon is a beautiful tale about family, loss, and healing.

I went completely blind into this graphic novel because the cover immediately caught my eye and I knew I wanted to read it just by looking at it. Let me tell you: the book did not disappoint.

We follow the journey of Artie, a young girl who is half human and half werewolf. She has some problems with her newfound abilities, so she and her mother set out to seek the help of family and friends. As she is coming to terms with her new identity and her roots, Artie soon discovers that there is a bigger threat out there than she could’ve ever imagined.

I absolutely loved the world-building and the lore the author created. Sometimes graphic novels lack the backstory and the mythology/history of the place and its people, but in this story it was different. We got to learn a lot about the family’s past, the origins of werewolves, and the conflict between werewolves and vampires.

Above all, I would say this book is about family. How no matter what happens blood is always thicker than water, and no matter the differences, family can and will forgive you no matter what. Artie had no idea about her relatives, she just lived with her mom, but her family took them in with open arms and helped them with everything they could.

The book also focuses on grief and perfectly shows all the struggle and pain that comes with letting go and accepting that our loved ones are gone. There are all these little things preventing you from moving forward, and in order to stop living in the past, you have to let go no matter how painful it is. I think the book delivers that heartbreaking but beautiful journey really well.

This book was really emotional and bittersweet but shows that no matter the circumstances, you are never truly alone.
Thank you to Lerner Publishing Group and NetGalley for providing me with this arc!

Artie and the Wolf Moon is a fast paced graphic novel, and a fairly quick read.  It focuses on Artie, a preteen photographer that finds out her mother is a werewolf, and that so is she. This book has fantastic world building and lore that pulls you into the story right from the beginning.

One thing that really makes this book stand out is it’s diversity. Not only is the main character black, but she’s also a member of the LGBTQ+ community. This book provides diversity that many books lack, which is a big reason to give it a chance!

I didn’t have many issues with this book, besides the fact that it could have used more development at times. One thing that could’ve been slowed and further developed was the relationship between Artie and Maya, which felt very sudden. If the novel would’ve slowed down the pace in general just a little, it would’ve received five stars from me.

Overall, this is a story about finding where you belong, family, and most importantly, love. Love resonates through the core of this novel, and is probably the best thing about this book. The ties between the characters are strong, and you don’t see that in every book you read. I recommend this to anyone looking for a good graphic novel, a story packed with diversity, or someone looking for an immersive middle grade read!
Artie finds out that her mom is a werewolf.  How?  Artie confronts her mom and finds out that she is a werewolf too.  However Artie hasn’t come into her ability to turn into a werewolf.  One day she turns into a werewolf because she is very angry at the school bully.   Artie tells her mom.  Later when she tries to turn into a werewolf she can’t.  Her mom gets some friends to help her learn how to become one and also reverting to human form.  A friend takes Artie to her house where Artie will learn that there are vampires.  She howls for help.  Will help arrive in time?

As I don’t want to tell any more about the story as I want all readers to enjoy the mysteries in the graphic novel.  The author has written about a black girl coming to terms with her life.  There is bullying in her predominantly white school.  She learns what true friendship is besides family that isn’t part of her biological family is.  It’s an amazing story which has both sad and happy moments.  I enjoyed watching Artie learning how to be a werewolf and standing up for herself as a human. . The author has written a great story.  The illustrations are perfect for the novel.  The novel is not scary. It’s a novel for anyone and any age to read.
Thank you to Graphic Universe & Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC of Artie and the Wolf Moon in exchange for an honest review!

What makes Artie and the Wolf Moon so darn special is that deep down -- past the wolves & the vampires -- this story is about family. I absolutely love that aspect, and watching as Artie connects with wolf relatives she didn't know about before. Artie and the Wolf Moon is also unique in the way that it takes on werewolf lore -- such as what a full moon means & how someone becomes a wolf. This graphic novel even takes on vampire lore! Olivia Stephens really did a great job at making something so classic her own.