Cover Image: Hair Story

Hair Story

I love that the author includes words from various cultures throughout the book and that there is a glossary at the end of the book.  I would love to see a link to a website for this book where you can hear each word/phrase pronounced correctly.  I thought the fro-ments in time information was great.

The illustrations were colourful and fun and I think kids will enjoy reading this book.
I must admit that curly hair amazed me for quite some times already. They mesmerized me, seeing how pretty they look. Therefore I picked this book to read as an advanced reader copy.

Though the author did her magic in free-style poems, her intention of writing a powerful message for young kids, mostly black kids and Puerto-ricains kids, is delivered beautifully. You might have curly and difficult-to-tame hairs, but they are beautiful. And being yourself is what make you gorgeous.
Oh, Hair Story!
What a healing read you were for the little Black girl in me that didn’t see her hair celebrated once in a book when she was growing up. Young kings and queens who get their hands on this book will leave feeling seen and valued!

Hair Story follows a Nubian and Tíano Queen on a tangled-up journey that ends with the realization that they are queens BECAUSE of their hair and not in spite of it.

NoNieqa’s words are affirming, celebratory, poetic, and fun!The text is so authentic. And as my lips danced through the text of what will be a great read aloud, I loved exploring the slang and Spanglish words throughout. I felt immersed in their hair and cultures simultaneously.

Keisha’s art made the hair the star of the story right from the cover! The textures and color throughout were used in such a great way to tell this story and give us setting. The spread with Abuelita is my favorite and melting so much culture into the clouds throughout the Art was a beautiful choice.

I can’t wait to get a copy of this book! Thank you for the ARC!
I received an electronic ARC from Lerner Publishing Group through NetGalley.
Beautifully illustrated picture book told with rhyming text. Two young girls celebrate their gorgeous flowing hair. Readers see others try to contain their natural hair for each girl. They are happier when letting it be in a natural state. The joy they both feel carries through the story. The illustrations are full of energy; the colors are vibrant and the characters seem to come to life on the page. Their hair is prominently featured on each page spread. Readers will connect with being themselves and being okay with who they are. A glossary is included at the end to share the Spanish meanings for English readers. Brief paragraphs are also included for each person included in the mural.
It's 3.5 stars for me as the rhythm doesn't always flow smoothly.
A great book to teach small children about different hair textures and why it's important to respect other people's hairstyles.
I have a boy but I love finding books that are inclusive and teach him about other cultures and races. This book helped me to open the conversation about different hair textures and why some of his friends' hair and hairstyles are different than his. It was a beautifully written book and I loved the inclusion of Spanish as well.
The illustrations are gorgeous and the prose was easy to follow for my six year old boy.
The story is about two girls told in rhyming verse. It's about how to tame their wild hair. I love the story because I can relate to these young girls. I recommend it to all girls with wild hair. I give this book five stars.
I really loved the poetry in this book, written perfectly for our preschool and elementary students. The poem's words are made all the more powerful by the stunning illustrations. The colors are bright, playful, with a masterful use of white space, text placement, and picture to draw you further into the story. I love the way that all the different types of hair styles are woven throughout the book, while celebrating their beauty in each and every form. At the end of the book, there are brief biographies of each of the people featured in the mural, so I recommend checking that out, too!
This is a neat story book or rather more of a beautiful mural that has a fun story and a sweet relationship.
Two beautiful girls celebrating their different cultures and hair.  Beautiful poetry to go along with the fantastic illustrations.  So many little girls will be able to see themselves in this book!
This book was received as an ARC from Lerner Publishing Group - Carolrhoda Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

What a wonderful book of beauty and diversity. I loved how the girls were playing salon together and using what their mothers have taught them in doing their hair. My hair used to resist products, hair tools and accessories to the point where your hair had a mind of its own resisting it all and just wants to be free to be itself. That is exactly what Preciosa and Rudine's hair did for themselves but after looking up some cultural icons and discovering their hair genes, Preciosa and Rudine embraced their hair from the roots to its overall style. I know this book will circulate well in our picture book collection and I can't wait to share it with our young readers.

We will consider adding this title to our Picture Book collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
What a beautiful story of heritage and belonging all wrapped up in a story about hair. I loved learning more about hair and culture through this picture book. I cannot wait to add it to my collection in the fall.
Hair Story is a short and cute children's book about loving your hair even when it hurts. The art was pretty. I can relate a lot to the section about straightening hair. I don't miss those days.

Thank you NetGalley for a free copy of this.
A bilingual Spanish picture book celebrating all the different style of hair using lyrical language and rhythmic prose. Mixed media of drawn and paper, the art highlights the richness of the Puerto Rican Culture and all of its diversity.

There are many books about hair but this one brings its own unique style to the genre and even has a great section of historical and current people and their hair!

A nice addition, perfect as a lapsit book.
This is the story of two girls - One is a Boricua girl and another a Black girl. They are not so sure about their hair and like others, they try to untangle and set their hair straight to no avail. Gradually, they accept their hair the way they are and celebrate them and be happy about them.

The story is written in verses in Spanish and English language together and is supported by beautiful illustrations. Though not everyone will understand Spanish, the illustrations are sufficiently expressive. There is also a glossary, given towards the end, to understand all the words and terms used in the story.

The story carries a beautiful message about accepting oneself and accepting the diversity around us. As a parent, I feel it is extremely important to never let insecurities seep into your child's mind about their appearance. And also never to compare themselves to others.

I loved this book thoroughly and recommend to all the parents to read, explain and talk about stories with such strong messages.

Happy Reading !!

Thank you @netgalley for the digital ARC in return for an honest review.
This is such an endearing, modern story for young readers to understand the cultural experience of those like themselves or others. The writing itself is sweet and I love the mix of languages. The illustrations are beautiful and  I think the illustrator's process in creating those images is really interesting. Beautiful story!
A wonderfully illustrated book about two young girls and how they play Hair Salon designing their hair inspired by their Moms and other famous people. Beautiful Illustrations! Great for kids of all ages. I do recommend it. Thanks to #netgalley for the advanced reader copy.
Hair Story by NoNieqa Ramos is written in verse. I can see young children with afros singing bits of this book to themselves and whoever is working on their hair as they wait. It is an amazing book that celebrate the culture, history, diversity, and beauty behind afros. It even includes a mural of wonderful people throughout history that rocked or rock a beautiful afro. This book also features a glossary with definitions for the Spanish and English vocabulary words readers may not know. It would be a wonderful edition to a child's personal library or a classroom library.
One of my favorite parts of this book is the inclusion of 'slang' terms and images that all different kinds of children can relate to.  Too often, children's books get too literary with their language and I find that they may not be as relatable to the intended audience. Code switching is a real-life way of speaking for many people and I love that this book represents that by using English and Spanish words intertwined together.

The prose in this book is lovely, with a wonderful message and invitation to children to be proud of their heritage, their ancestry and proud of the way they look. I also enjoyed the short biographies at the end of the book.

The illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful--when I read it with my girls (age 3 and 5); they really loved looking at all the pictures and the little details on the pages.

A unique and valuable addition to any child's bookshelf!

Thank you, NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group, for the Advanced Review Copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Phenomenal picture book! Vibrant illustrations bring the story to life. The natural and rhythmic incorporation of Spanish fits perfectly. The inclusion of Black, Latinx, and Afro-Latinx characters broaden the appeal of an already excellent story about self-acceptance and joy.
Love, love, LOVE this picture book!   The illustrations are so beautiful, lively, and engaging.  Between that and the
 lyrical, playful language, the kids would be mesmerized reading this during circle time.

This would also be a wonderful book to have on a classroom or home bookshelf--I can see a young girl pulling it down many times just to pore over the pictures and see herself in a story.

I really appreciated the extra information at the end regarding the mural as well as the glossary.  As someone with minimal exposure to Puerto Rican or Black culture, I'm grateful for resources to educate myself and get answers to questions without having to impose on someone to ask.