Cover Image: Once Upon a Tide

Once Upon a Tide

Thanks to NetGalley & Disney-Hyperion for the early copy in exchange for an honest review. DNF at 50%, though I understand this is for younger audiences and I'm sure tween girls will enjoy this in particular, but I didn't feel like reading more of this.

Once Upon A Tide is about a half-mermaid half-human princess who's sent to live with her mother for a week during a Very Important Royal Festival that's on land. Problem is, Princess Lana hates living on land. Hates her mother's new """""Boyfriend""""". Hates that no one will take her seriously. How can Princess Lana be her kingdom's youngest ambassador when no one thinks she is?

Lana is the most infuriating and immature protagonist and is the main reason why I could not finish this book. I did get pretty far despite hating her the whole time, ha. She's very self-centered and I can't get how she thinks she'll be a great "ambassador" when she can't stop being mean to everyone every 5 seconds. It also doesn't help that her mother is pretty distant so I can see where Lana's coming from.

I'll still recommend this to younger girls who like mermaid stories, though. We could always use more serious mermaid stories that aren't about saving kittens.
I am going to be very honest in this review.  I wanted to like this book a lot.  I didn't.  I felt that this book was very one note.  Princess Lana was your typical angsty tweenaged girl.  Who wanted to be apart of something more, but she never showed any ability to do more.  She gets magical powers but really nothing seems to happen with that other then she does get to form a closer relationship with her mom due to it.  Overall the book just was very lacking.  Even as an early reader I would have wanted more.  There was so much potential with this book.   I know that this is only the first book in the series so I am very hopeful that Lana journey will still draw me in.

Thank you so much to Disney and NetGalley for allowing me to get an advance copy of this book.
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Publishing Worldwide - Disney-Hyperion in exchange for an honest review are completely my own.  Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I loved this book. A book with a Little Mermaid twist but completely different storyline. This time Lana, is appointed the ambassador of land and with being a mermaid, she is forced to grow legs and live on the land in which her mom chose instead of staying with her children and all of her mermaid instincts have been removed and do not work on land so she is depressed and in trouble. Then as things were bad enough, she finds out an earthquake hit on her home in clarion underwater and she is desperate to come home and save her loved ones from peril but her father banishes her indefinitely plus, she discovers that evil forces are coming for her family. I was so thrilled to read a new modern version on one of my favorite fairy tales. I know this book will have a following with our young readers and I can't wait to hear their thoughts.

We will consider adding this title to our JFiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
I loved this book. It was fun and adorable. THe characters were cool, and loved the imagery. It felt like The Little Mermaid