Cover Image: An Engagement of Sorts

An Engagement of Sorts

I didn’t really know what to expect going into this debut regency romance novel, but I really enjoyed the fake relationship trope at play in it!

Anne and Thomas’ relationship was fun and filled with lots of banter that kept me entertained and intrigued by their relationship! However, there were a lot of heavier topics/content in this novel (trigger warning below) that made it hard for me to keep reading at times. I also wished that Anne had grown a little bit more throughout the novel, but also loved that she is always authentically herself. I absolutely loved the love letters — so swoony!

Overall, I think Alene Wecker wrote a good debut novel and I really enjoyed her writing style.

Trigger warning: attempted rape and mentions of rape/sexual assault

Thank you to NetGalley and Covenant for the complimentary copy. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
For me, An Engagement of Sorts is a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars. In her debut novel, Alene Wecker brings together a unique set of challenges and twists in this regency. Anne, the protagonist, is on the young side and it shows in her behavior. I had a hard time connecting with the supporting characters; however, I adored the love interest, Thomas Paling. Thomas is the right combination of proper and mischievous to help steady Anne and help her grow into herself. I enjoyed him so much that I would have loved to read his perspective.

*Thank you to the author and publisher for a copy of this novel. All opinions expressed are my own.
I think that this debut author has potential and hope to see more from her.  The writing style flowed and felt a lot of detail to events and feelings were shown.
I did struggle to read this book.  It bothered me how much Anne was put down, how she was talked to by Mr. Smith and how crude the talk about bedding was.  Respect was given to no one by really anyone in the book.  Mr. Paling was the only person who valued Anne,  encouraged her and seemed to truly want to be a better person because of her.  When I would put the book down it wasn't a fun, encouraging read, but more of a discouragement.
If others don't mind a heavy read then most of the things that I didn't like won't be that big of deal to others.
Got interested with this book because of the beautiful cover and was looking for a light book to read. Unfortunately, I find it not so light because of the underlying issues the author wants to address. And it seems like in order for it to be still a fun read, the issues were addressed lightly. Though, I tried to be forgiving since it’s a debut novel, it’s still unsatisfactory because of it’s modern portayal, innuendos and the lack of character development.
Overall, if you just want something to read without looking for the nitty gritty of the story, then maybe this book is for you.
This book grabbed my attention from the start. I was intrigued how the author would turn the hero from a rake into a hero, as he seemed quite rakish at the beginning, and I wasn't even sure he was who the hero was going to end up being! He quickly became a character I liked. Anne has a wild streak her family is trying to tame into submission but she remains true to herself.
Trigger warning: attempted sexual assault. This plays a role throughout the book.
Clean romance
I received this book as an ARC and really enjoyed it! Read it in one sitting; it made me laugh aloud a few times. I like Mr. Paling immensely, and overall enjoyed Anne, though at times she was a mite much. That aspect was in line with the character and the story's tone though, so it was not a distraction.
I especially liked the author's faithfulness to the regency era in the novel; the influences of Austen and Heyer colour the story in terms of overall setting and tone, but it is still unique unto itself.
4.5/5 stars and recommended!
This is a wonderful book that was a fast read for me. It was a delightful story that hooked me on the first page. I loved reading Thomas and Anne's story and can't wait to see what this author writes next. Alene Wecker did an excellent job with this book and I highly recommend it.
I received a complimentary copy from Covenant Communications via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Very cute story! This book was easy to read and had some funny parts.
The author did a great job with the main characters, they were developed well. The side characters weren’t as well developed which I liked- I can’t stand a book with tons of information that isn’t relevant to the plot.

I loved how the romance in this book was realistic and believable- that’s refreshing in a regency romance.
I can’t believe this is a debut novel for this author. I hope she will write plenty more because I can’t wait to read them.
My sister just had surgery and in order to pass the time she would read. I told her this book would be one she liked. She started it and a few short hours later she finished it- she said it helped her escape the pain and the boredom.
Although Wecker has talent, An Engagement of Sorts wasn’t my favorite story.  I liked that the characters were based on the author’s own relatives of the era, and as I said, Wecker has a good voice.  I simply couldn’t get into the actual story.  2.5/5 stars

This book was such an unexpected treat. I absolutely adored this story. Anne and Thomas were delightful together. They have one of the best meet-cutes!!! Even though we only have Anne’s POV, you could feel Thomas’s emotions and love shining through the story telling. This book was sweet agony and I never wanted it to end. Looking forward to more from this author.
This book was an intriguing read for sure! There were some good characters in this book and the story took some turns I wasn't expecting. The second half of the story really picked up for me and I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

It was heartbreaking that Anne's own family didn't care for her and constantly put her down. I was so happy that she found Thomas, who encouraged her and loved her. I was so happy to see Anne develop courage in this story.

I can't wait to see what else Alene Wecker writes!
Didn't finish.  In the first few pages, it was obvious to me that behavior of the characters was so far off the Regency  or Georgian era standard of polite behavior that I couldn't keep reading about such unlikeable characters.  Cannot recommend.  #NetGalley #AnEngagementofSorts
As a debut novel, I think this was pretty good. I’d definitely give it a solid 3-3 1/2 stars. I wasn’t particularly thrilled with the plot but that’s simply a matter of taste and opinion. The writing was very engrossing! I laughed out loud at parts and really had a hard time putting it down. The banter between Thomas and Anne was really good and it was clear they were a perfect match for each other.
Overall I’d say this was a fun, easy to read book. Well done Alene Wecker on her debut novel!
This is a debut novel from Alene Wecker and I can see a lot of promise in her writing from this book! I always love a good fake relationship trope. It’s always filled with awkward moments that make me laugh out loud followed by swoony tension that plays on every romance fan’s heart! Alene was able to deliver on these areas several times that made this book enjoyable. There were several twists and turns and mishaps that strengthened Anne’s character. There wasn’t a lot of character growth in her character, and she’s quite immature, but I enjoyed seeing Anne be ok with who she is and focus on her strengths and not her weaknesses. This book had hints of possible spin off stories and I’m interested to see what comes next for this author.

If you enjoy light hearted romances I think you would really enjoy this one! Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the copy. All thoughts in this review are my own.
For those who like typical Regency stories, this is a good example of it. It has an underappreciated heroine with a controlling mother and a disinterested father, a hero who swoops in to save the day (several times), and a truly despicable villain who remains unrepentant until the end.
It's also set in London, with all the visits to shops, balls, and walks at the park, and also set in the countryside for the bucolic landscape and village life.

I had a hard time with the heroine as I found her to be too dramatic and too prone to complicate things even more than they were, which made for a lot of silly scenes.

Despite that, it kept me engaged to the end.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
In this debut novel from Alene Wecker, she writes a delightful fake relationship and a ploy with plenty of action! Anne and the hero have a super fun, flirty, banter-filled relationship. As they unite to solve a problem, but each fight their feelings, it gets to be so fun. I honestly never knew what was going to happen next or how Anne would react to anything, which added some great twists to the story! I definitely look forward to more from this author.

Thank you to Covenant Communications and NetGalley for my copy of this book. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I love a regency style romance and this one gets the job done. If you liked Bridgeton you will enjoy this cute romance. The characters are interesting and as far as fake romances tropes go, this one makes sense and is executed quite well (even if you know what is going to happen). It is also a quick read which i enjoyed) and a very PG romance vs the Bridgeton books.  My only qualm, she is made to seem so out of sorts and inappropriate for her family's disapproval a little backstory would be great.
The debut book from the author. I thought this was supposed to be a light, fun read. There were some underlying issues it was trying to bring light to, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with how it was portrayed. As a lover of Regency books, some scenes were a tad bit modern for me. I also was hoping for character development. Maybe others would like this book if there not as “nitpicky” as I am.

Thank you to Covenant Communications for giving an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review. Got this from Netgalley. :)
4.5 stars.  This was a fun, fast read! The story was well written and captured my interest from the very beginning.  The first few interactions between the main characters had me laughing out loud! I loved the banter between them! The kisses were sweet and left me feeling all the tingles! Great Regency escape!
I had a hard time putting this book down! I enjoyed the main characters and you could really feel for Anne as she tried to be true to herself in a time where that was frowned upon.