Cover Image: An Engagement of Sorts

An Engagement of Sorts

Trigger warning:  non graphic sexual assault, PTSD, human trafficking, abuse

Anne Fletcher is making a desperate  attempt to avoid a martiage to her childhood friend, now-vicar when she flees to the city.  The odds are against her, but she's willing to do anything to secure her own freedom., including kinda-sorta getting engaged?

An ambitious debut novel from alene wecker, handles some intense issues undoubtedly common to the era yet mysteriously "brushed under the rug" in "clean romance". She did a fantastic job being "real" yet clean, and still sensitively managed moments of comical situations to balance the heavy- hitting themes without trivializing them.  I felt the characters could have benefited from more development, and i got muddled about some motivations and plans in the middle, but for a debut work- solid good job!
#EngagementOfSorts #Netgalley

A debut author, whose writing style was so fun.
Anne, is strong willed, and won't let her mother, break hwe into something she is not. Being forced to marry someone who has seemed like a brother to her.
Anne makes a bargain with her mother. She will go to London for the season. If she comes home unattached, she will marry the man her mother has chosen for her.
Anne may have bitten off more than she can handle.
This book was fast paced and a fun read.
This is a debut book, and there are places where you can tell that. The characters are fun, and there is some depth, but there is some lacking too. I felt that the language was a little too modern, but there was still merit there.  I would have liked a longer conclusion, it was too fast. A decent book for a first one, I would read her next one.
I enjoyed this book! It was a breath of fresh air, something new and different, and it was well-written.

It is a sweet and memorable romance, but there are a lot of other things to love about it too! One thing I really appreciated was how it wasn’t predictable. I find it more exciting if I don’t know what’s going to happen next, just like the main character.

This book is also well-written. Alene Wecker is a talented writer, able to string words and phrases together delightfully. This is something that hooked me from the first page. If you love regency romances and historical fiction (like I do), An Engagement of Sorts should be on your list!

In exchange for an honest opinion I was provided a free ARC of this book by the publisher through Netgalley.
Absolutely beautiful cover! It took a few chapters to get into the book. I felt the first  half was a little dragged out but in the middle it picked right up, overall this was pretty good book. Anne the heroine has many suitors but she is not interested in any of them that is until Mr. Paling comes along. He doesn't want to fall in love because of the past but he can't fight his feelings for Anne. A faux engagement turns to a friendship and romance! There is much witty banter between these two. My only other complaint was the character of Mr. Smith, he was a total creeper and I felt the attempted rape line was a bit much. This is Ms. Wecker's first novel.
The cover of this book is lovely and made me want to pick this one as my next read. It turned out to be a sweet escape read. The plot was much like many other regency type romances. There is a spirited woman who defies convention, rich young man who finds that appealing, a cad who wants to take advantage of the girl, a fake engagement, and so forth. This whole story happens very quickly and before you even really get to know the characters the story is wrapped up. It was still enjoyable but slightly flat. I guess I look for captivating characters over a fast paced plot. This was a pleasant read and I would give this author another try.
This book has a sweet love story. Anne finds herself in many amusingly awkward situations and often leads with her emotions in stead of her brain. Through luck and help from her accomplice, she finds herself in a true romance.
Wow, I liked this more than I thought I would. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book but I hoped that it would be good and it was! An Engagements of Sorts is Alene Wecker’s debut novel and it was a great book. Although it took me a little while to get into it, once I really started reading I was hooked.
	Anne wasn’t one to fit into society, she was free spirited and she would rather be hunting and riding then going to balls. However as she grows older she finds herself losing the freedom to be herself as she is fashioned into an eligible young lady. When she is forced to marry, Anne makes a desperate attempt to marry on her own terms. She strikes a bargain, if she cannot find a man to marry she will marry the man her parents chose. Anne finds herself in the London Season, looking for a way to be herself in a world that calls her to change.
	Anne was a lot of fun but it also took me a little while to connect with her. I wasn’t sure how I felt about her at first, but as I read more I started to empathize with her. She was struggling to figure out how to live in a world where she didn’t quite fit in, a world where even her own family didn't know what to do with her. She didn’t want to change for society, but she was fitting that she was running out of options. I wanted to comfort Anne as she tried to find her place. Anne had to figure out what kind of person she wanted to be and if she would stand up for herself and love.
	Thomas was also a complicated character, but I grew to love him. He showed society one side of him, but he was actually kind at heart. He wanted the best for others, but he also wanted to protect his own heart from hearts. He was infuriating at times and yet I wanted him to be happy also. I liked his growth as a character and I adored reading about him with Anne. Thomas will have to make a choice: risk his heart or risk living a life alone unhappy.
	I really enjoyed the witty banter between Thomas and Anne. They were such a fun couple to read about and their interactions were awesome. The side characters were irritating at times because of how they tried Thomas and Anne, but they did help move the book along. The plot was really interesting and I didn’t want to go to bed because I wanted to finish the book!
	An Engagement of Sorts was a lovely book and I would totally recommend it! I am excited to see what else Wecker writes! An Engagement of Sorts is a clean historical romance.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher through Netgalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, a positive review was not required.

I posted my review on Goodreads, Bookbub and Barnes and Nobles on 07/05/2021. I will post on Amazon and blog closer to release date.
Such a lovely read!
I'm always a little nervous to start a regency romance by a author that's new to me and this book didn't disappoint at all! It was great! The plot, the characters, chemistry between the characters, everything was such a treat to read.
Thank-you NetGalley and Convenient Communications for providing a digital copy of An Engagement Of Sorts by Alene Wecker in exchange of an honest voluntary review.
I enjoyed the banter between Thomas and Anne, but the story was a bit choppy for me. At times, I had to reread the passage to understand what was happening. This story has promise but it just needs a bit more character development and polishing,
An Engagement of Sorts
by Alene Wecker
Covenant Communications

Back of the Book: “Much to her mother’s dismay, spirited Anne Fletcher spent her youth seeking her father’s approval by hunting and riding. More comfortable in breeches than ball gowns, Anne sees the freedoms she once enjoyed slowly taken from her in the name of fashioning her into an eligible young lady. When her parents try to force her into marriage, Anne makes a desperate attempt to salvage her last vestige of independence. If she is to marry, she will do so on her own terms.
Anne strikes a deal: if she cannot secure a man for herself, she will agree to marry the husband her parents approved. She soon finds herself in the last place she would ever choose—that stifling parade of etiquette, the London Season. Anne’s plan is in motion. Now all she needs is a man willing to masquerade as her fiancé.”

My thoughts: This book was a bit frustrating for me. The description sounds so fun. It was easy to get drawn into as the writing was easy to follow and read, however, I did not like the story or characters. The male characters were obsessed with winning Anne and in fact, one attempted to sexually assault her. When Anne tried to confide in others, they shrugged her off and blamed her “wildness” or reckless nature. Anne was immature and had no self-awareness. Rather than grow and mature in this story she remained childish throughout which was disappointing.
I also struggled with the fact that the man Anne ends up falling for is just as sexual towards her through his flirtations as the man who assaulted her. It is so strange how it is unattractive for one male in the story to address her in such sensual ways but another who does so is just flirting and harmless. Here in lies the problem this story- is overly sexual. Everyone apparently wants Anne in bed and it is a strange story unraveling who will win her affection. The “men” in this story ended up being equally as childish as Anne as they tried manipulating her in various ways to gain their desires, including a “vicar.” There was truly no attractive character to come out of this book.
There was one random part towards the end of the book that the characters discuss God and as I would not consider this book a faith-based novel it was strangely out of place. Overall, I finished this book but I would not recommend it.
Inspiring thoughts: None
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review shared here.
Absolutely delightful. This book was a treat. This novel was a smashing debut from Alone Wecker and I'll definitely be waiting for her next novels to come. I'm a serial regency romance reader and this book went into my top 5 for best witty banter. I truly enjoyed Anne as a character, I felt she could be a best friend. I would definitely read again and recommend this novel.

I received an ARC copy from Netgally in exchange for a review. The thoughts and opinions are my own.
What fun!
Anne is the definition of "obstinate, headstrong girl". She has been allowed to run a little wild, but after a near disaster in her own home, has decided to try her luck in London. At the very least, this offers her a respite from her cruel mother. The problem - she has agreed to marry the neighbor boy if she can't find someone else in London. So, of course, she finds someone in London to masquerade as her fiancé. And oh the troubles they get into with all the deception!

I loved all the witty banter! I found myself smiling and laughing out loud. There were quite a few "face palm" moments as well. I mean, Anne is so determined to sort out everyone's problems - her own most of all - that she leaves a wake of disaster. She does learn though, that she can make her own choices. She doesn't have to be subject to the whims of her crazy mother. (Although she nearly causes the biggest calamity ever to get there!) Most importantly, that her happiness comes from herself, and not from others and not from outside circumstances.
Another sweet light read. I’m glad I picked it up. It was perfect bridge between serious reads to help me through a slump. Would recommend to those who need an easy read.
Sometimes reviews for a book that did not meet the readers expectations can be detrimental to someone else taking the leap to read it. So, all reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. With that being said, I’m sure this story will meet or exceed someone else’s expectations, just not mine.
This is a romance and as hard as I tried, I was not pulled in to care for Anne. The story seemed shallow and I needed more depth, The best I can do is 3 stars.
I want to thank Covenant Communications along with NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book for my unbiased review. Comes in with 3 stars.
I don't give 5 stars often. But wow, I loved this book.

The author did an amazing job of showing that the characters loved each other for who they are. I loved that I wasn't quite sure where the story was going at times. I was also engrossed the whole time and couldn't put the book down. Overall just a phenomenal novel.
I never know what to expect when reading a book by a new author, so I was pleasantly surprised while reading An Engagement of Sorts written by Alene Wecker. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and couldn’t put it down!

I fell in love with the main characters. The charming and witty Thomas was the perfect match for the spunky Heroine, Anne. The romance between them was perfect. This book kept me laughing with a lot of humorous situations and banter between between the main characters.

I gave this book 5 stars because I couldn’t find one thing I didn’t love about this book! I look forward to reading future books from this author.
Finally!! A regency romance that will catch you by surprise. I could not put this book down! After so many books that have similar plots I was hesitant to read another book from this period. I'm so glad I took the chance to read this book.

Alone Wecker writes in such a unique voice with an advanced vocabulary that adds so much depth to her writing. I'll be looking for everything else she has written or will write in the future! And I sure hope she continues the Colonel's story!!! And is it horrible for me to hope he ends up with Lizzie?!?!

Anne & Thomas were enchanting to read about and had so many swoon worthy moments. You will not regret reading this book and it may vclimb to be your new favorite!
This is a story that will have you smiling from the start. With a hilarious first meeting, witty characters and a connection that will have your heart pumping and tummy swooning.

An Engagement of Sorts is a gripping story about a young woman who wants nothing more than independence. Her best friend believes himself in love with her and she only sees him as a brother. Her only chance at a life she has chosen for herself is to go to London for a season and come back engaged. And there is one man that keeps showing up. A very charming and lovable man. *Squeeee*

The dynamic between Anne and Thomas has been one of my favourites. They see each other, and they fit perfectly together. They both have a wit that can keep up with the others, and this joy for life that makes them so lovable.
Thomas may be one of favourite all time heroins. He can be serious and brooding but for the most part he has this charismatic, funny, caring and protective personality that I just loved from the start. And if you’re here for the romance, my oh my, just wait until Anne’s love letter, it will have you holding your breathe and giggling like a school girl...The romance is good!
I don’t have enough words to express how much I loved this book without giving everything away.

This book is 10/10, 5 stars, all the feels. An incredible debut novel by Alene Wecker. I am looking forward to many more incredible stories from her. Hopefully some in this same world setting.
And an added bonus! Some of the characters and even some plot points were taken from history, so be sure to read the note at the end of the book if that interests you. I personally feel a deeper connection to a story when it has little seeds of reality mixed into it.

It was such a pleasure to read this story. Clear your day, and just read. It’ll be a good day! 💕

Thank you NetGalley and Covenant Communications for the complimentary ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Content: clean
Romance: kissing, a woman is attacked and fights off said attacker. Not detailed but could be a trigger for some.
Language: none.
Violence: Some punching- that is much deserved.
Clean Regency historical romance.  Debut novel from Alene Wecker and well worth reading.  Anne is a spirited women and her impulsiveness is not understood or appreciated by her family.  She is content living in the country and reading books in her fathers library.  She is shocked when the local vicar, who she sees as an older brother offers her marriage.  She agrees, if she can first have time in London, staying with her widow sister, on the chance she can marry for love.  The story is more much more complicated and includes a fake engagement, one of my favorite tropes.

I like the author uses several words like accoucheur, pelisse and I had fun looking up their meanings.  Anne herself is bright and can speak her mind with wit.  She is criticized for not behaving properly when London rules are stricter than her country experience.  Thomas Paling is wealthy and proper.  He meets Anne in the country and literally again on the way to London.  He never has plans to marry but is drawn to Anne's liveliness.

Most people will enjoy their flirting but I had a hard time with it.  Thomas likes to tease and provoke Anne.  But as someone who has a teasing older brother, I really dislike this, and it took me a long time to actually like him.  There should also be a warning that a character physically assaults Anne and sexually harasses her.  Even characters that should be good like her mother and the vicar see situations in over sexualized way.  It fits the story but it isn't something I expected from the publisher.

Overall I would recommend the book but with the trigger warning for some readers.  Thank you NetGalley and Covenant Communications for an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.