Cover Image: Sword of the Seven Sins

Sword of the Seven Sins

I picked up Sword of the Seven Sins based on a friend’s recommendation. I thought that Emily Colin did a fabulous job in terms of world building as while reading this book you really get a sense of what life in the Commonwealth of Ashes must be like. In my opinion, this is a great example of dystopian fiction with the Commonwealth being a futuristic police state that is quite frightening to imagine.

In terms of the characters, I found Ari and Eva to both be well developed characters, who were struggling with feelings that they were taught were wrong, but found utterly irresistible.

What I expected to see more of, but didn’t, in this book was romance. In my opinion, the violence really overshadowed the love story between Ari and Eva.

This was a 4 out of 5 star book for me. It is perfect for fans of dystopian fiction and the ending definitely leaves the reader with a lot of questions about where Ari and Eva will go next.
Unfortunately, I didn´t get a chance to read this, due to some technical problems, but I would still love to read it in the future! The synopsis has left me intrigued and it does sound like a really interesting story!
What a start to a new fantasy adventure!  A corrupt subjugated society, a strong heroine, genetically modified creatures, and mysterious rebels.  No one knows the truth or is telling, and pieces are fed at a good pace.  Of course we also have our hero, so threads of adventurous romance that add a nice spice.  Looking forward to more!
3/5 Stars - The title is what drew me in and then the blurb, and I was hoping for a fantasy rather than a sci-fi since I'm not a big dystopian fan but this book gave me hardcore The Handmaid's Tale vibes. It felt like a more modern and fantastical version of it. And it started off nice. Good start to YA dystopian series with the pacing. Towards the end though, it seemed a bit unrealistic when the main character finds out the truth about herself. I loved how she stands up for herself and the looking into her mind in her childhood, where she stayed quiet and tried to conform but still held her own opinions. As an adult, I loved her snappiness and survival instincts.
3.5⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

Sword of the Seven Sins is a good start to a story that has the makings to be a great YA dystopian series. The book features a whole new world, a heroine questioning the rules, forbidden love, and a little sci-fi mystery. The world building was slightly lacking (I want to know so much more!), and the love story seems a little forced (but I’m still rooting for Eva and Ari!).  Overall, this book was a good set-up for, what seems like, a good series!
This wasn't for me, unfortunately. The story was a little bland and repetitive and I didn't click with the writing style. I feel that if I had read this ten years ago I would have loved it but didn't work for me now.

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
The first thing that drew me to this book was the title and the cover. The way that the society is built in this book made me so frustrated, but I love the main character Eva. Her strong willed opinions, but her willingness to keep her head down had me extremely interested in her. At first I couldn't believe that they forced her into something she didn't want to do but how she excelled was like a huge foreshadowing. This book is a definite page turner!
Thanks to NetGalley and Blue Crow Publishing for a free eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The story follows Eva and Ari, two citizens in the Commonwealth where the Seven Deadly Sins can really turn out to be deadly. Human emotion of love/lust, greed, anger, any emotion is forbidden. Citizen are made in a lab and anyone that is natural born is expected to be the slaves to the citizens.

We follow Eva from the time of her Choosing ceremony where she is selected to be a warrior instead of ending up in computers where she thinks she belongs. Eva becomes the apprentice and Ari her mentor as they fight a growing attraction to each other which could send them to their deaths. This story is full of forbidden love, witty banter, mystery and intrigue as Eva and Ari unravel who they are in a system that doesn’t want you to be unique.

I loved this book and I was quite glad to also have the sequel on hand to go straight into. The one thing I don’t understand about this book is why I had not heard of it before now. I will definitely be continuing with this series.
The blurb caught my attention and the cover too, but I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It was exciting and I loved the Eva's character. I'm fond of strong female lead characters and I'd love to read more about Eva's adventures!
I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis sounded right up my alley! A girl and a boy forced in a grim profession that neither of them really want to do fall for each other slowly and it became them against the world? Sign me up! Unfortunately, the story itself did not live up to the expectations. The book is narrated in alternating pov from Eva's (17) and Ari's (19) and while this is always something that I appreciate I felt like both of the characters somewhat lacking dimensions. The way their relationship evolved felt fake, like we are told that they are falling in love rather than showing it. The world building lacked details.
Overall is not a bad book but it reads very much like a generic YA without nothing really standing out.

*thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review*
*I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

And I am quite grateful that I also received a copy of the sequel at the same time because I don't have to wait any longer to start reading it than it takes me to write this review.

This was one of those books I knew I'd like as soon as I started reading it. The book is narrated in somewhat alternating chapters from Eva's (17) and Ari's (19) points of view. I found both of them to be likable characters, despite the occupation that was chosen for them. I wholeheartedly rooted for them from the moment their eyes met in the first chapter, even though they were only 10 and 12 at the time and living in a society where any type of attachment is forbidden. Something I really like about Ari is that he never feels threatened by Eva despite her skills improving to the point that they are superior to his. Instead, he is supportive and proud of her.

From clues within the text, I'm assuming this takes place sometime in the distant future on the North American continent. The Commonwealth is a walled-in society that supposedly protects its citizens from the barbarians and the wilds outside, all led by a man known as the Executor. Society is built upon seven Virtues to ward against seven Sins (wrath, lust, envy, greed, gluttony, pride, and sloth). No attachments are permitted between people, with the teaching that it leads down a road to chaos. All children (regulation born) are conceived through in vitro fertilization and implanted into surrogates--so nobody knows who they're related to in order to prevent said attachments. Whenever citizens are found guilty of a sin, they receive a punishment relevant to what they did (for example, a citizen is found guilty of gluttony for borrowing more than the allotted number of books and is forced to serve an elaborate meal to everyone else without being allowed to eat any of it). Natural-born children are considered inferior and forced to do menial labor, their parents executed or exiled. The Bellators are basically the law enforcement, but I suppose a more apt comparison would be to the Peacekeepers in The Hunger Games--they're more like the Executor's strong arm. They receive training the hones their senses and makes them stronger.

It's a rather interesting world, to be honest. The science-fiction aspect of it completely surprised me, though--I wasn't expecting to see genetic modifications to that point. To be honest, that's possibly the only aspect of the book that makes me worry about it ending well. Not that this is a sunshine and butterflies book. It's not. But I do hope that it works out. As I mentioned in the beginning, however, I am glad that I get to start reading book two soon.

Note: A little swearing. A couple of sensual scenes and talk about sex (by two people who really have no idea what it even is).
A solid 3.5
This one was an easy read and while I liked the original dystopian premise, some of the revelations towards the end just didn’t do it for me. The characters felt flat, and although there was some great tension, overall the romance aspect felt rushed. To be honest, the book in its entirety felt rushed. This one has some great potential but it didn’t snag me enough to want to read the sequel.
I really loved the writing style of this book! The descriptions were vivid and I really connected to the characters. It was hard to get into in the beginning which is mainly why it took me so long to read it, but it picked up and began to have more of a flow to it. I enjoyed it and am already looking forward to reading the next book.
“Sword of the Seven Sins” is my first read from author Emily Colin, and she did not disappoint. I wouldn’t say that this was an all time favorite of mine, but I most definitely had fun while reading and the book kept me very intrigued. I loved learning about Eva and following her along through this story, she was easily my most favorite character in this book. Her relationship and romance with Ari was really well written, even though things felt quite fast, I think that was just the general pacing of the book. I will say that going into this book, I had only read the description and totally thought this was gonna be a fantasy book, not dystopian. I have nothing against dystopias and still really enjoyed the book, but it just wasn’t what I expected based on the synopsis.
Overall this was a fun read, and I look forward to reading the second book to find out what happens next. I think this series and world has a lot of potential, and Emily Colin’s could seriously be onto something great.
Amazing book! I absolutely loved it! The romance was amazing, and I loved the plot! The characters were also super likeable!
If you’re looking to fulfill your need for YA dystopian and relive the 2012 dream then Sword of the Seven Sins is for you – and I promise it still has some new elements so you won’t be reading the same blueprint.

Overall, I enjoyed this book once I was able to really get into it. It took a little while to invest in the characters and story but after I understood the world and got used to the religious focus of the society and the attitudes held by the leaders of this world, I could begin to have fun. It’s an interesting take in the dystopian genre while still including the ‘controlled state’ element.

The romance however did feel a little too close to insta-love for me. There seemed to be barely any interactions between our two leads, Ari and Eva, before they couldn’t stop thinking about one another. Don’t get me wrong that have great chemistry and their banter was great, I just would have preferred more of that before it got all intense, you know? I would guess that you do because it looks like almost every other 3 star review has the same feeling.

While we have dual point of views, an element I absolutely love, there was one moment where it wasn’t utilised right. In the interest of not spoiling this I’ll do my best to be vague but instead of adding suspense and having the audience believe the duplicity of a character we’re in on it from the start because we see from both POVs within seconds of each other. I would have liked to feel the betrayal of this moment instead of knowing because that would have made it more thrilling and shocking.
As soon as it picked up I really loved this book. This pulled me out of the reading slump that I had been in for a while.
really liked this book, it was fun and easy to get through. the mc is a great character she isn’t the usually annoying  i liked the side characters even more the main relationship was the best thing.  the pacing and the setting of this novel was so good and just made the book even better.
Wow! This was very different! At first I got very Hunger Games mixed with Divergent vibes but as Ari and Eva’s story progressed I admit I was becoming enthralled!

The world building is quite good, I liked the way Colin incorporated the Seven sins. Everyday tasks could easily be construed as having too much Pride or too much Gluttony. Look at someone the wrong way and you’d be accused of Envy or Wrath… and procreation! Don’t even get me started!

And the more I read the more little sneaky twists snuck in… one page there was story… and the next Acknowledgements! Well done! Kept me on my toes! Keen to see where it goes next!
My big thanks to Netgalley for the eArc of this book in exchange for a honest review.

Let me tell you how I found this title the first time. I love the manga/anime called Seven Deadly Sins (it is on Netflix if you want to give it a try, please do so it's sooo good) and I got to wonder if there are any books based on seven sins. I was not let down as I found this book here and after seeing that there is an Arc on Netgalley I requested the book.

The mentor student trope is not one of my favourites, honestly I just don't like when there is a huge age gap but otherwise I'm fine with this as long as they are consenting adults.

Other then that, I liked how the community ruled by defying the seven sins was portrayed. And once again it is a world which could come to be. Humanity dictated by priest ruled by sins and virtues without any joy or happiness in life. Their goal to keep the DNA pure but as usual there is some darkness.

Oh and let's not forget other the main thing I came here for. It was romance, I needed it as I needed food or water (yeah I know that's how MCs say about their SO but don't care it suits this situation as well) and I was delivered.