Cover Image: Brindille

Brindille

An excellent read! The art was beautiful. I thought some of the character design didn't quite mesh at times, but I think that was very much intentional to highlight the main character's otherness. I do wish it was a bit longer and had a little more time to flesh out some of the ideas and concepts, but overall it was a solid graphic novel.
First of all I want to thank Netgalley for providing me with this comic, and my review will be 100%.
The comic tells us about a girl who runs away from something mysterious and everything around her burns, she ends up fainting and when she regains consciousness she finds herself in a village that is inhabited by small beings, who see her as a goddess, without However, she does not remember anything about her past. One day everyone in the village leaves, leaving her alone, having to venture into the unknown, where she will meet a creature that will help her discover who she really is.

Regarding this comic, I have nothing bad to say, maybe it is very short and the story is compelling that it ends up being overwhelming to reach the end. A plot twist that will leave you shocked, with a captivating drawing and a story that I have not read before, it goes out of the ordinary, it does not become predictable. And that is appreciated, for me it deserves 5 stars out of 5 and it will definitely be my favorite reading this year.
3.5/5 - Liked it quite a bit.

A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

This book is unusual. The story is unlike any other I had read before and without giving away the twist at the end, I will say that it was not what I was expecting. I enjoyed so many aspects of this book - the art is unbelievably stunning, the world interesting, and the characters sympathetic. I felt curious and compelled to understand the story of Brindille - where had she come from? What was her journey all about? Why was she being hunted? Overall, the story is one I thoroughly enjoyed and the art was absolutely spectacular.

That being said, I have to echo some of the criticisms of other reviewers. The twist at the end was great, but it felt sudden and a bit forced. Some of the characters - for example the horde - just didn't make a whole lot of sense. Others seemed to have a lot of development, only to suddenly fade away. I felt like this book could have been better developed, with more fluid transitions between events and characters, for an even more impactful story.

Overall, I'd still definitely recommend this as a read and am glad to have encountered it.
A graphic novel suited for old time Disney movies.
To start with, the plot seemed fun at first but then it got quite confusing and was all over the place. A girl who wakes up to find herself in a village and who doesn't remember anything about herself. Then she realises that mysterious enemies keep coming to kill her. That's when she comes across her guardian angel and they set out on the journey together.
The best part about the book was the illustrations. The illustrations were amazing.  The artworks were very detailed and beautiful ❤️
Overall, I wouldn't recommend it much but you can read it if you want to
Brindille is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel about a girl who suddenly finds herself in a small forest village with strange creatures and no idea how she got there or anything about her past. However, it seems that some very dangerous beings are after her for some reason and they are quickly eating away at the magical wood in their pursuit of her. With the help of her wolf companion, can Brindille figure out a way to save the world around her and also figure out how she came to be there?

As with most graphic novels, the story is important, but he illustrations are what move it along. The premise of the story is very interesting and the end was entirely surprising, and it makes you want to reread the entire thing to see what you missed.

Thank you to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for the early copy in exchange for this review.
“Discover who you are, and you will be saved.”

This was my first ever graphic novel and I immediately fell In love with the illustrations. The art work for this book is absolutely stunning and inspiring. I had some trouble with the story itself. A parts it was confusing and I wasn’t sure what what happening, at other part I felt like it slipped things that I wasn’t putting together. The plot itself was interesting and the journey between the girl and her Fox companion was great. I did really enjoy the ending and the massage of the story over all. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves graphic novels.
"SNOW WHITE meets BONE in a dark LORD OF THE RINGS forest"
That's how the publisher describes this comic book.
Sounds intriguing, right?

And it must be said: Federico Bertolucci's fairytale-like cover immediately catches the reader's eye.
This 48 year old illustrator is born and raised in Italy. In 1998 he started a collaboration with Walt Disney Italy and in 2001 he became one of the illustrators of the magazine Witch.
But not only is he a good illustrator, he's an expert in colorisation as well.
Did you know that he's also a 5-time Eisner nominee?
His work can be admired on his:
- blog http://federicobertolucci.blogspot.com/
- instagram https://www.instagram.com/federicobertolucci/
- twitter https://twitter.com/akaydo
- facebook https://www.facebook.com/bertolucci.BD.comics/

The plot is written by Frédéric Brrémaud.
This 48 year old French scenarist who was born in South-Korea, studied in France and lives now in Italy.
Although he writes scenarios for a big variety of comic books, he also often works together with Federico Bertolucci. One of their most successful series is 'Love' (https://www.goodreads.com/series/134044-love), which consists of several wordless wildlife graphic novels.
You can follow him on:
- instagram https://www.instagram.com/frederic_brremaud/
- facebook https://www.facebook.com/frederic.bremaud.7

Although Federico Bertolucci and Frédéric Brrémaud are promoted as an award-winning creative team, it seems that in Brindille they've chosen to let the images get the upper hand.
And yes, the illustrations are beautiful and definitely worth 4*. To get an idea of  them, you can watch the book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAnmhrvb4E
But the plot is not on the same level. There are lots of ideas incorporated in the story, but the transition between them isn't really fluent. Some of them are superfluous and others aren't worked out well enough which leaves the reader a bit confused sometimes.

My overall feeling is one of wonder because of the fairytale-like artwork mixed with huge disappointment because the plot doesn't live up to the expectations.
So even though the illustrations deserve 4*, the whole gets only 2*.
But there's certainly a lot of potential which piques the interest for the previous works they made together and for their future works.
-If you are looking for a graphic novel that gives of Disney-Fantasy vibes, this is the book for you.

What I liked
It gave me so many Disney vibes and since I love Disney, it was warmly welcomed. The illustrations were beautifully done and perfectly evacuated. I loved how Twig was trying to figure out who she was, even though Twig is one of the most selfish characters I've read about (at some points).

What I didn't like
I felt like there wasn't much of a plot and everything was everywhere, this was a French translation and I could tell because so much of the English didn't make sense at all. There were also some boring parts that I didn't see the use for other than to make this graphic novel longer. As mentioned, I did not click with Twig, to me she was way too self-centered and didn't care about anyone else but herself. I get that she has forgotten herself and needs to remember herself but so many people have died just got her to do so... Although her character was awful (in my opinion) her journey made up of that all.

Overall
Overall I loved the art, message, and value of this book. I recommend this to people who like watching/reading Disney or fairy tales.
I absolutely loved this graphic novel. I’m not usually a fan but this I really enjoyed.

The illustrations were absolutely beautiful, the muted tones made the pictures really atmospheric.

Loved the story and how it developed going through.
Really did enjoy it and hopefully i get a physical copy of this and whatever follows after this.
Highly recommend
A young girl runs from a fire and wakes up in a fairy world.  She lost her memory and no one remembers the fire.  So she sets out on an adventure to find answers.  Brindille is done by the same team from the Love series.

I can't count the number of pages I want to frame and put on my all.  This is by far one of the most beautiful book I have read.  Within a couple pages I asked my local comic shop to reserve one for me.  It reminds me of The Black Cauldron.  The character designs were perfect for the fantasy setting.

I could not put the book down.  When I review books I keep a notebook by my side so I can write down thoughts and things that I want to make sure and remember to include in my review.  With Brindille I was so invested in the story and what would happen to the girl that before I knew it the book was over and I had only written down the blurb from Goodreads.

When the book was released in hardcover I was able to see how the physical copy would look compared to reading it on my phone and I was not disappointed.  A truly phenomenal book that is interesting and beautiful.  A perfect combination.

Creative Team:
Written by Frederic Brremaud
Illustrated by Federico Bertolucci
Translated by Jeremy Melloul
Layout, Letters, and Edits by Mike Kennedy

5 stars
The graphic novel 'Brindille' was the first to catch my attention at the NetGalley with its description and its beautiful cover. And it turned out to be a direct hit.

The novel begins with a fire. And a naked girl fleeing from the fire in the forest. She manages to escape, but she loses consciousness and regains it only the next day in a village inhabited by a strange forest people. Small creatures want to know who she is, where she is from and why she looks like a fairy. However the girl cannot answer them because she does not know - she has lost her memory completely. In search of herself, the heroine will face dangerous adventures, new friends and mysterious enemies.

The plot of this gloomy fairy tale has developed quite typical for the genre. But I couldn't stop reading. I simply fall in love with the illustrations! The drawing and spreads are beautiful. I liked just sitting and looking at the pieces of this magical world, studing the details. It was impossible to stop. The design of the characters, the overall mood of the story and some of the magical world's details reminded me a bit of the cartoons 'The Secret of Kells' and 'Song of the Sea'.

I also really loved that I could not predict the ending. Yes, it didn’t turn out to be amazing, but it really did suprise me. Therefore, I was satisfied with the novel, I would have acquired it for my collection for the sake of aesthetic pleasure.
Brindille is easily among the most beautiful graphic novels I've ever read, and I loved its atmosphere with lovely magical creatures, but I didn't like the story's rhythm as much.
Brindille is so far one of my favorite graphic novels of the year. The storyline, characters, and artwork grabbed my attention immediately and kept me hooked. I had to read this in one sitting. Then I went back and read it again!
Brindille is a graphic novel written by Frederic Brremaud and illustrated by Federico Bertolucci. A frail young girl flees a roaring forest fire in the middle of the night desperately taking refuge in a cave where she quickly loses consciousness. She wakes up in a strange, tiny village populated by fairy-like creatures. Her hosts seem intrigued by the sparkles of light that seem to surround her. The village chieftain explains that one of their hunters found her passed out in the forest and brought her back here for treatment. He asks who she is, but she remembers nothing except for a wall and flames. The chief is baffled by her tale as there has not been any fire in the forest lately, and yet the young woman does indeed show signs of burns. Somewhat recovered and dressed in woodland clothes made by the villagers, the young lady asks to meet the hunter who found her in the forest. She asks her savior to take her to where he found her, hoping that seeing the place will restore her memory. But Meliss refuses -- the rules of the village say that only hunters can enter the forest, and all of the sparkles surrounding the girl would catch the eyes of predators living in these woods. What follows is a tale of discovery, magic, tragedy, and adventure, as the girl discovers powers that may or may not be borne of an ancient evil. She befriends a cunning, talking wolf along the way, and together the two set out on a journey.

Brindille is a graphic novel that is suitable for middle grade and older readers, including adults of course. I liked the detail, movement, and expression in the art work. I thought it showed great skill and talent. I thought some of the color choices could have been different, to help clarify some of the differences of characters and meanings in the story- but it is very possible that I messed some significance there. There were some really good moments where I thought I had it all figured out and a grasp of what exactly was happening, but more often than not I was a little lost. I liked the book, and saw great skill in both the story and the art, but wonder if there is a bit of folklore I do not know or something of the story that I either missed or was lost in translation, because even when the story was over I was still confused about some of what happened.
Ok, I really wanted to like this because the illustrations are absolutely stunning - but that ending was SO FREAKING DUMB. Ugh. REALLY??? No.
Did not enjoy the ending at all, and it was also old in a very disjointed and nonsensical manner in several parts. Did not live up to its promise.
THE CHARACTER DESIGN IN THIS IS AMAZING!
With every page, I wanted to show it to my friends so they could be brought into this gorgeous world with me as well.

The story was also enticing, and the ending honestly was not what I had expected but was not the least amazing.
This was a beautiful story that encompasses all the wonderful aspects of the best stories of magic and fairy tales. While this might appeal more to young teens and emerging adults, I (person in their 30's) was riveted. It's also worth noting that this graphic novel is from he same team behind the wordless wildlife graphic novel series LOVE, so it was sure to be visually stunning and breathtaking.
"Discover who you are and you will be saved."

The literary device of a character searching for a forgotten identity has been done before, but never as beautifully as in this graphic novel.

Here we meet a young girl who can't recall her past, but knows she does not belong in the quaint Hobbit-like village near where she was found. She heads deep into the forest to discover her true identity. Things get a little bewildering there, and it's hard to figure out just who the villains are, and, indeed, what's going on with them. The artwork, however, is transplendent, with lush scenery, and charmingly depicted characters.

So, I'm assigning five stars to the illustrations, three to the story, making the book an overall four star read.
ARC from Netgalley.
“Discover who you are and you’ll be saved!”

A young girl has escaped a fire. Waking in a cave, she finds herself the guests of animal people who call her “Fairy”. But she cannot remember who she is or where she came from. As snippets of her memory return, she begins an adventure that will cross through dangerous woods, encounters a very helpful guardian angel in the guise of a fox, fight “Shadow Hunters” and “The Horde”.

Who is Brindille? Who is this girl? And what is going on with the world around her?

Frederic Brremaud (LITTLE TALES, LOVE) brings this epic story to life that not only pulls at your heartstrings for this lost girl, but also has an ending that is very deep and meaningful, making the reader question their own dreams. The unique artstyle of Frederico Bertolucci makes this graphic novel more on par with painted artworks than the page. Strongly recommend you pick this up and take the journey of self-discovery along with the girl lost in a strange land.

Ages 12+
The artwork in this story is what we readers like to call absolutely stunning! It totally stole the show away for me. The story in itself was not as impressive. It was a bit too fast and unclear. I couldn't really connect to the characters because of the rushed pace and for readers who prefer character-driven books, this could be a bit of a downside. But it was admittedly a very unique and new concept, and I loved following the girl as she made her way through forest fires and memories. One of the best parts of this book was that it had a very enchanting feel to it, which goes a long way in keeping the reader's attention. Highly recommend this book to readers who live for great artworks and I will be checking out more from this author in the future. Thank you to NetGalley and the author for providing me with an e-arc of the book. I voluntarily read it and all opinions are of my own.