Cover Image: ADHD and Me

ADHD and Me

This was such a sweet, inspiring and whimsical read that beautifully captures the ADHD experience of a little girl. So much of it was very relatable to me, and I wished I had read it as a little girl!

Thank you #netgalley for the free digital ARC.
Thank you NetGalley and Lulu Press for a copy of "ADHD and Me" in exchange for my honest review.

Mallory is special, unique and one of a kind. She is also 8 years old and has ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

She finds it difficult to focus, tests are the worst for her - she has to sit still, not make noise - she gets squirmy and forgets to be quiet. Teachers have trouble staying calm with her when she is talking during quiet reading time or drawing flowers on the desk.

Usually the principal calls her mother to take her home. She id distracting to others. She takes medicine in the mornings to help her focus, to keep her calm. Some medications work and some don't. Some give her tummy or head aches. Kids call her weird, this makes her angry and embarrassed. They don't care about her and that makes her sad. The art teacher is patient with her. She was born with autism and considers it a gift. Sometimes she cries and is overwhelmed but art helped her relax and stay calm. Her parents always made her feel loved.

Some of the lessons from this book are that differences are precious gifts, you should embrace them. Education is the key to better understanding. An educator is in the prime position to teach acceptance. To relieve anxiety and low self-esteem others need to not only reach out but to be patient.
I was very excited to see this book title. Firstly as a woman with ADHD I think it’s amazing that the book features a young girl, as a large amount of references for ADHD are for young boys so this was a breath of fresh air. I think the message was perfectly written, it will help ADHD children understand themselves but also allow other children to gain empathy for this peers.

I do think the illustrations were slightly difficult to follow and did not particularly appeal to me.
I was intrigued by this book as I have a son with ADHD. The book is worded in American language with words that would be out of the ordinary for a British child. The imagery is beautiful. Malory talks about her medication, it would have been nice to include that not all children are medicated and that's OK too.  I feel for my Child this would lead to him feeling more confused about his conditions than provide him with the reassurance that he needs.
A lovely, insight into the reality of living with ADHD. It is definitely aimed at younger readers but I found it educational.
A heart-warming story centered on a girl with ADHD and some of the things she and her family experience. An overarching empowering message running throughout on the value of being yourself and that you are good enough just as you are. Beautiful imagery and appropriate for children throughout primary school. If you're an English reader be aware that are a few American terms (recess, principal). I would definitely recommend this to teachers and parents a like.
Loved reading this book. We have a child who has adhd tendencies and this book will be helpful to talk to her about her struggles. To give them a name and a space.
Mallory gives us a useful insight into her understanding of the world around her , whilst she manages her struggles experinced due to ADHD. Aimed at children, but also useful for adults, this is a hopeful positive book, showing how to ask for help, but to live a happy, filfilling life.
This was a simplistic book with a neurodiverse main character. It is a picture book ideal for classrooms. It is written like a social story but generalised rather than specific to a child. It would be a good starting point for teachers who want to write a social story.
I'm going to be honest: Growing up in my town, ADHD was treated as a problem for kids when parents didn't want to pay attention to them. It was always some cover up and teachers always led us to believe that. It wasn't treated like an actual problem in the eyes of children. We were told that these kids didn't get to run around and couldn't pay attention because their parents wouldn't pay attention to them. And, maybe part of that was true (you never know the background and history that goes on in someone's home), but it wasn't the honest answer. Having books that give you an actual insight into what ADHD does is important. My partner has ADHD, so books like this open my eyes to what was taught REALLY WRONG way back in my childhood.

Anywho - this book does a good job.

This book follows an eight year old girl's life while she experiences ADHD. She's unique, she's special and it's just how she lives. It does point out that this can be difficult and a disability for many, but it also shows that people can manage it and make a good life. There's no reason why ADHD needs to be the end of the world - you're just different.

The different sized fonts threw me off a lot. I feel like there is a purpose, but it looked goofy having different font styles and font types. I am under the impression it's to give off the "feel" of ADHD - which is my benefit of the doubt. There has to be a reason. If there isn't, then it's kind of dumb.

I did like the water colour illustrations. Those were fancy!

Three out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lulu Press for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
This book is important. So many children struggle with ADHD, including some of my closest friends, and I think the over arching theme of even though your different doesn’t mean your alone is so beautiful. The illustrations were not my favorite but I loved the message of this book, it should be a staple in our classrooms!
A story of one girl's experience with ADHD. A gentle introduction meant to spur discussions. A great resource.

Thanks NetGalley
I love this book! I think we need to talk more about neurodiverse learners and how we can listen to them and best support them. This book about Malory does that well! Also, the illustration is so colorful and lovely.

(I received an ARC from Netgalley)

ADHD and Me is a beautiful watercolour illustrated picture book for children who have ADHD to help them understand just how unique, special and loved they are being themselves.
I lived how this book showed the negative sides many people don't even think of with children with ADHD such as the medication they take and how it can stop them eating, make them sick, give them tummy ache etc and how isolated, embarrassed and alone these children can often feel because they are different.
This book was beautifully written and is a breath of fresh air to see books about this subject for children nit just for their parents/carers.
I love the concept of this book and the child-friendly way it explains what life is like for children like Malory with ADHD.
The title is helpfully clear, and will make it easier for parents and educators alike to find when looking for resources about ADHD.
The watercolour style illustrations were delightful and dreamy, and I liked the way different sizes of text were used to emphasise different words, although I do wish the larger emotion words were in a different font, as I suspect the one chosen will be quite difficult for many children to read for themselves.
Overall, a great resource and hopefully one lots of children will be able to see themselves in.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lulu Press for an early release copy in exchange for an honest review!

As someone who was also diagnosed with ADHD as a child, I found this book to be really relatable and I wish this book existed when I was younger. It was such an easy book to read and the watercolor illustrations were absolutely gorgeous! It is also great that this book was told through the eyes of the child main character and I believe that this will be an amazing resource for children to read and learn more about ADHD. :)
Wonderful watercolors illustrate this adorable book exploring a young girl named Malory and her frustrations with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Seriously, the watercolors are gorgeous enough, I felt a little distracted myself!

Labels and diagnoses are scary and sometimes leave one feeling icky. It's hard to feel a good and unique kind of special when there's already a stigma around the term "special". Malory's parents do a great job of supporting her and making sure she knows she's perfect just the way she is, even if school and other places might misunderstand or question her activity levels and ability to focus. They teach her that different doesn't equal bad and embrace her uniqueness.

As a side note: I'm a little confused by the use of a cursive font in a children's book. Even sparingly, it makes little sense. My sons are grown and I know they didn't learn to read cursive in school twenty years ago.
I loved the watercolor illustrations and the concept of the book.  I appreciated the inclusion of symptoms as well as coping strategies.  I think the layout missed an opportunity.  I found the decision to enlarge certain words, ironically, distracting.
This is a really nice and really sweet book about a little girl who is different from the peers around her. Its quite refreshing and I enjoyed this book it. I could really relate to the main character and I liked the way that the parents had made out to her that she was different but in a good way, when so many other children with ADHD are made out to be villains for the condition itself such as attention seeking behaviour etc doing it this way made me see how much easier it was for her to explain to other people and other kids why she approaches and deals with stuff differently. But is still treated like anyone else by her parents who love her for individuality despite her differences.

I like that its for kids so that kids can have awareness but also for adults too. We all need awareness on these things to change the way we look at conditions like ADHD especially in women and girls so that like many before them they dont slip through the net but they get the help they need.

With thanks to Netgalley for this free ARC in return for my honest review but also to the author who has given a voice to so many ADHD children by writing this piece.
This book writes about the experience of having ADHD from the child's perspective -- and while repeating over and over that it is totally okay to have ADHD. This helps to fill a much needed gap in children's literature, especially around picture books. There are very few picture books about the neurodiverse experience written from the perspective of the neurodiverse individual. I can see my own son reading this book and remembering that he is not alone.

I do wish they had not done the "Why does she have to take medicine!" because medicine can make some ADHD kids feel more themselves. I appreciate talking about the journey to find the right medicine, because I know that is something that is also not talked about much, especially not with kids.

I did have some trouble with the typography. I understand the cursive and large letters were used for emphasis, but I wish they would have used a different font. This will not be readable to many elementary students. I also think the contrast between the white page and the light yellow font can be very hard to read as well.