Cover Image: #BlackInSchool

#BlackInSchool

Recently, I wrote a positive review of this book for THIS Magazine that is pending publication.

In my opinion #BlackInSchool is essential reading for educators who work with Black students.

Cooper Diallo's perspective warrants consideration by all who are interested in Black students' success. However it is often overlooked in a system which remains ripe for improvement. Many educators might not want to face the fact that they use biased materials and language when interacting with students. Yet the only way for harmful patterns to cease is for teacher to consider the impact of their behaviour.

Overall #BlackInSchool is an excellent, important book. It’s a brief but powerful work that deserves the public's attention.
I really enjoyed this book. It was basically a journal of a Black Canadian high schooler talking about the trials and tribulations of her life in school. It was really eye opening to hear about what she went through, I've read a lot about people in the US and their issues with race and diversity, and it was interesting to hear from a Canadian as well. I also liked how she explained everything in an easy way to understand.
Habiba Cooper Diallo journaled her way through school as she grew up in Canada as a young Black woman, and the result is this informative and devastating account. This serves as a testament to Ms. Cooper Diallo's tremendous strength of character and intelligence, and I have no doubt it will take her far. It also serves as damning evidence against the Canadian education system and its harmful ways, and I'm sure it could apply to quite a few other places as well. It should be required reading and discussion material for teachers, administrators, and anyone that is involved in the education of young people.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I was intrigued when I read the synopsis of this book. Living in the US, I tend to only think about how Blacks are treated in this country. It was both heartbreaking and amazing to hear about the anti-black racism in Canada firsthand.
CW: anti-Black racism

Thank you to NetGalley and University of Regina Press for an advanced electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This is a firsthand account of anti-Black racism in Canadian schools. The author shares journal entries from her high school years, documenting experiences of racism in a collection that will resonate with some but shock others, demonstrating how schools reinforce racism instead of actively fighting it.

I picked up this book for the most part because of the title. As a white teacher in a predominantly Black school, I want to do better for my students, and therefore seek out texts that may help me do that. However, I got more than I expected from this one. The author moves to Halifax, Nova Scotia to complete their high school years, which is something that immediately drew me in, as I've lived there and worked in their school system. I was heavily engrossed in these stories/journal entries, and felt that the author spoke incredibly well. This is definitely a title that I recommend.
Habiba Cooper Diallo shares a voice to be heard in #BlackInSchool. This book would be a recommended reading for educating self, and sharing with others -- including students. Thanks to this author for sharing this series of journal entries and reflections.