Cover Image: Stars, Hide Your Fire

Stars, Hide Your Fire

This wasn't really what I expected. It was fine, but also a bit anticlimatic. I liked the Massachusetts setting, I know exactly what town it is and have friends that work there. It felt kind of a bit old school at first, like it was set in the 90s. Which I liked actually.
This is the story of a fairy doing magic, but this is no old fairy tale, set in a by gone age, but a modern story, with two teens who hate where they are living, and want to get out of town, and travel the world.

And of course, that is what the fairy promises.

But all magic has a price, and the price of this fairy's magic is that if you get something, she takes it from another.

The girls are very real, and this is set in the frustration of the modern world, and when Andrea realizes that the fairy is real, it is all she can do to not want this magic. Even if it means it will mess up her best friend Dacca.

Is it worth the price?

Good, fast story. Well done. I like how stark the town was, vs. the glamor of the fairy, even as she drips poison flowers everywhere she goes.

<em>Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.</em>
3.5 stars.
Andrea and Darra live in a small town in Massachusetts. Andrea is frustrated beyond belief by small-town life, and she cannot wait to leave the town behind. Meanwhile, Dara is struggling with her mom’s push for Darra to be thinking of higher education, but Darra has no idea what she wants to do with her life and is still figuring out who she is; it’s all just too much for her she feels a little trapped, and overwhelmed by Andrea’s vehemence.
They go ghost hunting one night and Andrea discovers a young woman who claims to be a trapped a fairy, who tells Andrea that if Andrea helps her escape, they can travel the world.
At the same time, Darra encounters a young man who firmly tells her that the fairy Carmen is actually a demon and they need to get her away from Andrea, and they need to get rid of Carmen.

This middle grade comic really conveys that sense of wistfulness, claustrophobia, and fear about the future, but at the same time the desperate desire to leave what’s familiar and go on an adventure. The two friends Andrea and Darra both embody those feelings so well.
I enjoyed this story, and appreciated the tug of expectations versus the yet to be clearly articulated desires in both early adolescent characters.
This was an interesting story with some dark moments and believable stakes.

Thank you to Netgalley and Letter Better Publishing Services for this ARC in exchange for my review.
A well written YA graphic novel with a frisson of darkness running through it.

Andrea and Darra are best friends living in a small town without much to do. They decide to go ghost hunting in the old steel works in their town and they eventually encounter a deadly fairy who will do anything to stay living on earth, including making big promises which she later warps. She isn’t all that she seems to be.

When the two friends meet a young mad called Liam who is linked to the fairy they realise that she isn’t benevolent at all. They team up with Liam to find the fairy ring so that they can send the fairy to her homelands but first they need to trust one another and also trust. Liam.

This is a nice coming of age story with good artwork.

Copy provided via Netgalley.
I'm always on the lookout for new graphic novels for my library, and fantasy/supernatural are gaining in popularity. I was excited when I came across this one, and it does have a unique and interesting premise: an ancient fairy/demon is taking years from the living to help fuel the human she is tethered to...but she REALLY wants a new human.

My main beef with this one can be summed up in two words: NOT ENOUGH. There's not enough character development, not enough creep factor (which are the best parts of the book), and the ending feels extremely abrupt and rushed. Considering how short this one is (168 pages), I feel like there were some major missed opportunities to create some depth for Andrea, Darra, and the quest to stop Carmen that would have helped me be much more invested as a reader.
A fun exciting story for upper middle grades.  The colors are vibrant and pop, and the artwork features bold lines with expressive faces.  I think most youth can relate to the main impetus of the plot -- wishing to get away from your everyday life.
**Disclaimer: I received a free early access copy of Stars, Hide Your Fire by Kel McDonald and Jose Pimienta through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for this opportunity.

Stars, Hide Your Fire by Kel McDonald and Jose Pimienta is a young adult fantasy graphic novel.  It's about two friends who explore an abandoned building and encounter something a little bit supernatural.  It is set to be published on October 5th, 2021. I rated it 4 stars on Goodreads.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

Andrea and Darra live in a dead-end Massachusetts town, making their way through high school with hopeful (but slim) dreams of escape. Everything’s going according to plan until a chance encounter with an otherworldly spirit named Carmen changes everything!
Carmen promises Andrea eternal life, but a mysterious young boy named Liam shows up claiming he had also made a deal with Carmen, and it didn’t go well . . . 100 years ago. Liam must convince his new friends of Carmen’s evil nature before Andrea is tricked into a supernatural bargain that will upend her new life before it even starts.

I really enjoyed this story.  It's got a simple enough plot so it was easy to follow along.  It kept me guessing and it made me want to keep reading to figure out what was going to happen.  I ended up reading it in one sitting because I was just really intrigued by the story line.

The characters in this story were really interesting.  I quite liked both Andrea and Darra as characters.  They felt both unique from the other and realistic as characters.  These were teenagers that I might find in one of my English classes.  They had strengths and flaws and I understood where they were coming from.

I also liked how we had some confusion over who we could trust.  Can we trust Carmen or Liam?  It didn't last super long, but it added a good dimension of suspense and an interesting conflict to the story.

The art of this story was really well done.  I liked the character's designs and how it was full colour.  It really made what was happening stand out.  Overall, the art was really well done.

I highly recommend the book, and you should definitely check it out when it releases in October.
This was a good little graphic novel. There was nothing particularly outstanding about it but it was good. I enjoyed reading it and the art style was great it just wasn't anything I haven't seen before. Still it was well done for what it was.
A magical being tempts a young girl to free her, while a young man who has lived for over a 100+ years attempts to convince her that the magical being is lying to her.

Intriguing story, nothing incredible but a good read.