Cover Image: The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey

The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey

I feel like this book tried to do too much with too little. The world that Speakman has created seems quite large, but is never explored as fully as it could have been. I wanted more explanations for the way things worked, why things are the way they are, and why I should care what happens. There is just too much here with the mix of both sci-fi and fantasy without any of the best parts of either.

The characters also fell flat for me, and left me disengaged from their struggles and conflicts to the point where I was indifferent to how the story would end.

I feel like this would have been better served as a short story or a novella than a full length novel.
This book was unexpectedly refreshing! I think that in the beginning I thought it would be quite a generic sci-fi story, but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the world-building and of the story after the initial set-up chapters of the story.

My single complaint is that there are a lot of old, wise mentor-type characters that the protagonists encounter who info-dump and then give the protagonists a quest that they “must uncover on their own” rather saying things outright. I think if it happened only once, it would be forgivable; however, that was not the case.

I think that this is the type of story that many readers will just sit back and read for the enjoyment/escapism. However, I wanted to point out that there was also some explicit thematic commentary present in the story due the parallels to real-world politics in the Middle East. I have never read another SFF book inspired by modern day middle eastern politics, and I think that there are people who would enjoy the representation of those aspects in an SFF story.

All-in-all, this is a very approachable book in the tradition of Star Wars, and I would recommend to both YA and adult audiences.

I'll be keeping an eye out for subsequent books in the series, and I would like to thank NetGalley for giving me the arc in exchange for an honest review!
This was purely a cover/title request and I don’t regret it at all! I mean, who can resist a book about a girl with an illegal mech trying to overthrow the oppressive ruling class? Certainly not me!

Antiquity Grey is a headstrong, inquisitive girl and during one of her many explorations, she uncovers a mech in the desert. Turns out it was the mech that her grandmother had piloted during the war, but it was sabotaged and it appeared that she had fled the battle she was about to enter. Thus was Antiquity’s family grey-shamed, their name and power stripped and forgotten by all.

Of course Antiquity pilots the found mech into the city to be seen by all. She naively thinks people will be happy, but it only terrifies them for the danger it presents. When she must flee for her life, she’s joined by two of her childhood friends and one of her enemies. They meet fascinating people along the way and must stay ahead of the ever-present danger that lurks behind them.

The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey is a good book somewhere between YA and Adult fantasy and will appeal to both audiences. The characters may be teens, but the plot is quite serious in nature and fortunately doesn’t have any of the YA tropes that can be a big turn off to some readers. While I didn’t immediately connect with the characters I did grow to like them as the story progressed and they became more three dimensional. I like the blend of sci-fi and fantasy elements – mechs, dragons, and oppressors who live in the stars made the story extra special. I’m not 100% I’ll continue on with the series, but this was pretty enjoyable.
This book will take you for an adventure where you will find an interesting past, a new quest to save the world and a legendary great grandmother. It is a fun blend of science fiction and fantasy (more towards sci-fi). The premise is good and makes one wanna read the book, but the real deal is even better, it turns out to be a page-turner read with excitement, action and adventure though unknown.
Avoiding Spoilers, the world this book is based on is ruled by an evil ruler, Imperium, who defeated the ancestors of the natives over a 100 years ago and now their families lived a life of shame. Grey being a rebel and just character was fed up of this shame and disgraceful life, it took a change for better. When she finds her great-grandmother's mech in a desert, she decides to fight Imperium and take back their world.
The book 1 was really good and I am looking forward towards the  2nd installment.
*Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book for review, all opinions are my own*

Dnf 45%

I tried, I really tried to read this book but I wasn't enjoying it, I was all the time seeing how much more pages I had to finish the book and thinking how much I didn't want to be reading this book. The premise of this story is very good, but the execution is not.
The author's writing was what bothered me the most and what I liked the least, I found the writing too tiring, and the fact that the chapters were huge only made it worse, if the chapters were smaller maybe I would even try to finish it because it would give me the feeling that the story it's going forward and somewhere.
The characters are terrible, I didn't connect with any, I thought they were all very shallow, and without any features that would make them interesting.
The plot itself I also found confusing and poorly executed.
So you can see that for me there was nothing good in this book, I couldn't see myself giving more than 2 stars to this book because of the way history was going.
"If the Imperium wants you, you are friends walking among my path."
Antiquity nodded. "And where does that path take you?"
"To freedom"

A space adventure perfect for fans of Star Wars and Pacific Rim!
THE TEMPERED STEEL OF ANTIQUITY GREY offers a fast paced entertaining read with mysterious family secrets, charismatic characters, cool giant robots and DRAGONS!
I personally liked this one A LOT.
Setted on a distant planet being ruled by a tyranic empire, the respective rebellion must resist and fight to regain the authonomy of ther home using the long lost technology of a giant mechanical vessel that shares a deep conection with its pilot.
The group of heroes must start a journey through inclement deserts, giant tree forests and dark caves inhabited by dangerous creatures being guided by old recordings of their ancestors in order to find this ancient power that will help them defeat their oppressors.
Also references social issues like discriminiation, intolerance and culture clash with characters from different environments coming together for a bigger cause setting aside their differences; also featuring a slowburn enemies-to-friends (to hopefully lovers in the future) trope.
Very much entertainig and the writting style is so smooth anyone can read it.
Highly highly recommended!
☆☆☆,5 /5
(english review below)

J'ai bien apprécié ma lecture qui se retrouve être un mélange intéressant entre le post-apocalyptique et la science-fiction, bien qu'il y ait des moins qui ont entaché ma lecture.
¤
Honteuse à jamais pour les actions et erreurs commises par sa famille un siècle plus tôt, Antiquity Grey est une jeune femme vivant dans une ville lointaine d'Erth. Elle mène une vie de danger et de difficultés, de dragons et de technologie de pointe. Mais lorsqu'elle découvre un robot hors-la-loi et opérationnel enterré dans les sables de sa planète, elle se rend compte que ses secrets détiennent le pouvoir de renverser le déshonneur de sa famille tout en défiant la puissance oppressive de l'Imperium hors du monde.
Quant à lui, L'Imperium n'est pas si disposé à desserrer son emprise, ayant besoin des précieuses ressources en titane d'Erth à un moment où la guerre se propage parmi les étoiles. En réponse, le gouverneur d'Erth envoie Star Sentinel, son robot le plus puissant, contre lequel rien ne peut résister après Antiquity. Alors qu'elle s'enfuit dans le désert dans une tentative désespérée de découvrir les secrets de son passé et de libérer une planète entière, Antiquity apprend que l'amitié peut signifier plus que la famille, que même le cœur le plus dur d'un ennemi peut s'adoucir, et que l'aventure ne sera pas comme elle aurait pu se l'imaginer.
¤
Dès la première page, je dois dire que l'auteur a su me happer dans son univers. On se retrouve dans un futur où la Terre a été colonisée par ce qu'on appelle l'Imperium. Les deux mondes se battent pour les ressources que contient la planète bleue. J'ai apprécié ce point de départ plutôt intéressant, qui, je trouve, fait écho à notre actualité concernant les conflits et les colonisations existants dans plusieurs pays afin d'exploiter les différentes ressources de la Terre.
En ajoutant à cet environnement hostil un peu de science-fiction, de technologie, l'auteur a créé un bon cocktail dont les ingrédients piquaient mon palais, comme ce récit dans sa forme m'intriguait énormément.
Aussi, j'ai bien aimé le fait que ce soit les ancêtres de la protagoniste qui ait provoqué cette guerre et qu'aujourd'hui, Antiquity allait devoir tout faire pour sauver son monde, malgré la honte et le déshonneur. On a un peu les connotations de vengeance, de valeur. Parce qu'Antiquity n'est pas sa famille. Elle n'est pas juste le résultat des faits de ses aînés. Elle est une personne à part entière qui doit prouver sa valeur au monde et restaurer son propre honneur qui a été malheureusement dévoré par la chute de celui de sa famille.
¤
Néanmoins, pas mal de choses ont fait que j'ai fini par ne plus être aussi concentrée durant ma lecture, à la fin par rapport au début.
J'ai trouvé la protagoniste trop... immature. Je pense que c'est le bon mot. Je n'ai rien contre les personnages immatures au début des romans car c'est leur évolution qui se retrouve être intéressante dans l'histoire... Mais pour autant, ici, Antiquity n'a pas changé pour moi. Plus j'avançais dans ma lecture, plus j'avais l'impression qu'elle ne changeait pas, qu'elle restait immature et impulsive, bien que le récit avançait vers une certaine réalisation.
Puis, c'est l'écriture qui m'a aussi déconcentré. Durant ma lecture et à la fin, je suis restée avec trop de questions sans réponses. Lorsque je lisais des descriptions, j'avais de la difficulté à bien visualiser les scènes et les dialogues me paraissaient trop creux. Je pense n'avoir pas assez accroché à la manière dont était narré l'histoire.
¤
En bref, c'est un roman qui a un bon potentiel, avec un point de départ, un environnement intéressant, malgré le manque de développement dans le texte et la protagoniste à laquelle je ne me suis pas attachée.

--‐-----------------
ENGLISH REVIEW:

I enjoyed my reading which happens to be an interesting mix between post-apocalyptic and science fiction, although there were negative points for me.
¤
Forever shamed for family actions a century earlier, Antiquity Grey is a young woman living in a far-future city of Erth. It is a life of danger and hardship, dragons and advanced technology.
But when she discovers an outlawed and operational mech buried in the sands of her planet, she realizes its secrets hold the power to reverse her family’s dishonor while challenging the Imperium’s off-world oppressive might. The Imperium is not so willing to loosen its grip, needing Erth’s valuable titanium resources at a time when war spreads among the stars. In response, the Governor of Erth sends Star Sentinel―his mightiest mech, which nothing can stand against―after Antiquity.
As she flees into the wilderness in a desperate attempt to uncover the secrets of her past and free an entire planet, Antiquity learns friendship can mean more than family, even the hardest heart of an enemy can soften, and adventure is not what she thought it would be.
¤
From the first page, I must say that the author was able to snatch me into his universe. We find ourselves in a future where the Earth has been colonized by what is called the Imperium. The two worlds are fighting for the resources that the blue planet contains. I appreciated this rather interesting starting point, which, I find, echoes our news concerning the conflicts and the existing colonizations in several countries in order to exploit the various resources of the Earth.
By adding to this hostile environment a bit of science fiction, of technology, the author created a good cocktail whose ingredients stung my palate, as this story in its form intrigued me enormously.
Also, I liked the fact that it was the ancestors of the protagonist who caused this war and that today, Antiquity would have to do everything to save her world, despite the shame and dishonor. We have a little connotations of revenge, of value. Because Antiquity isn't her family. She's not just the result of the facts of her elders. She's a whole person who must prove her worth to the world and restore her own honor which has been sadly eaten up by the fall of her family.
¤
However, a lot of things made me end up not being so focused during my reading, at the end of the book.
I found the protagonist too... immature. I think that's the right word. I have nothing against the immature characters at the beginning of stories because it's their evolution that I found to be interesting... But for all that, Antiquity has not changed for me. The further I read in my reading, the more I felt that she didn't change, that she's still immature and impulsive, even if the story progressed towards a certain realization.
Then, it's the writing which also distracted me. During my reading and at the end, I was left with too many unanswered questions. When I read descriptions, I had difficulties visualizing the scenes well and the dialogue seemed too hollow to me. I don't think I clung enough to the way the story was told.
¤
In short, it's a book that has good potential, with a starting point, an interesting environment, despite the lack of development in the text and the protagonist to whose I didn't attach myself.
I picked this book because of its great title, The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey, and the wonderful cover. It’s the debut of its author, Shawn Speakman, and it starts a series of the same name.

In far future, the earth is nothing but a colony of the Imperium, people who have left the earth millennia ago and have become almost a different species called celestials. A century ago, a war between Erth, as its now called, and Imperium over natural resources ended with Erth losing.

The person held responsible for it is the great-grandmother of Antiquity Grey, a sixteen-year-old girl whose family have been ostracised as a consequence. One day, she stumbles on a truth about what took place during the war, and ends up bringing the wrath of Imperium on her and her three friends with whom she has to flee. Bent on revenge, she travels after clues left by her great-grandmother to find resources that would defeat the Imperium once and for all.

I wish I could say I enjoyed this book as much as I hoped I would, but I have several issues. First up, I think it was written by a mansplainer. Nothing else explains why characters regularly put words to other characters’ mouths, explaining their lives for them, persisting in this even after being told they’re wrong (along the lines of “In your culture women aren’t allowed to carry a sword.” “You know nothing about my culture.”). The dialogue in general was odd. Maybe it was meant to sound old-fashioned, but it came across as stilted.

I’m not sure either, why the author thought a teenager was a good protagonist for this story. Especially one who is wilful, annoying, and stupid, and remains so. She definitely doesn’t have the tempered steel the title promises. Manor (? I can’t remember his name) came across as even worse, considering that at eighteen he was deemed old enough to become a member of the leading council (all men, naturally, now that the pesky rule of women had been obliterated), yet he behaved like a child. The proposed marriage between the two was creepy and a full-on patriarchal assault, no matter the reasons given for it later.

The rest of the characters weren’t any better, but mostly they remained sketches, existing to serve the needs of the main character. It doesn’t give me much hope that the future of the Erth is in their hands. We’re spared of the YA staple of a romance, at least, though the seeds are there.

The plot read like an RPG, a quest from place to place to find clues. Not that the reader knew that that was the objective until at the climax when Antiquity suddenly puts together random facts she has noticed during her journey. There’s a lot of action, but it doesn’t really lead anywhere. However, unlike so often in YA, characters die too. I wish I could say that I cared, but it’s difficult to care for someone you know nothing about.

My biggest issue, however, is the handling of the other. First up, why does a far future earth still have cultures treated as the other, with the white ‘western’ culture as the norm? And why does a far future world that is so different from ours have a warmongering, zealous, religious sect called arabi? The author couldn’t come up with any other word for them? Persai as their more acceptable (inoffensive) counterpart wasn’t any better word when they only served as a way to emphasise how horrible the arabi were with their swords and beheadings, and when their otherness to the main character’s ‘normal’ (white) culture was constantly brought up.

That one of the characters was arabi didn’t help. The opposite. Like white colonists of the past, the main characters kept repeatedly judging her and her people to her face, refusing to accept her word about her culture. Moreover, these characters were constantly referred to as arabi and persai (in italics), as if that was the only thing that defined them; all the more pronounced because Antiquity and Manor(?), the white characters, were called by their names.

All in all, a disappointment. I didn’t care about the characters or the plot, the mechs weren’t as exciting as I’d hoped, and the promised dragons were a huge let-down. I don’t really see how Antiquity would be the person to lead the Erth to rebel against the Imperium. I don’t care to find out either.
I thought this book had an interesting premise, combining both sci fi & fantasy elements. The mech that Antiquity discovers is a giant war robot, controlled from the inside by a human. She is sent on a quest by family (I won’t say more on that due to spoilers). She’s joined on the quest by her best friends, guardian robot, and her sworn enemy. This is one of the areas that lost me; her complete willingness to work with him was really odd. In addition to this the pacing was rather slow, and there’s a lot of very cryptic passages & memories & family secrets that get frustrating — just tell us already! An interesting side story was the Arabi peoples, a thinly veiled reference to the two main sects of Islam followers.
DNF @ 50%. After a strong start, this book just rapidly lost me. There is some interesting world-building here, with a dystopian far-future Earth, giant mechs, dragons (supposedly - we don't see much of them, at least not in the half I read) and precarious politics. The plot hits the ground running and I was initially quite intrigued by the elements the book introduced: a coming-of-age story set in an eyrie-like city in the mountains, a desert full of buried tech, robot sidekicks, enemies-to-allies (to friends to lovers later, I assume), epic adventures with mech suits, friendships, a Star Wars-ian conflict with an almighty Empire.

However, it just didn't come together for me, and I felt that the plot lost steam quite quickly. The protagonist seemed very immature for her age; I initially pictured her as about 12 and was genuinely startled when it's revealed she's meant to be 16. She has very poor impulse control, does not ever stop to think anything through, and was petulant a lot in a way that made her read much younger. The other characters were also lacking nuance, so far they're mostly there as sidekicks.

It didn't help that the writing was rather clunky, with odd pacing and stilted dialogue. Some of the simplistic cultural representation also rubbed me the wrong way (the persai are all peace-loving and wonderful and the arabi are all religious extremists? Really? All of them?).

Basically, not quite my cuppa. However, I suspect I would have enjoyed it quite a lot as a kid.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book wasn't for me, unfortunately. I really loved the concept, and was attracted by some of the praise by some well-known authors, but I couldn't fully get into the story. This is possibly down to the way exposition is done, which felt a little heavy-handed but I really appreciated the setting, and the history was interesting. I also enjoyed Chekker and the way the robot had a personality of its own, as well as the way certain tropes of the genre were subverted. I think this story will grab a lot of people, but I wasn't one of them.
Antiquity Grey bears the name grey, a label given to disgraced families in the land of Solomon Fray on Erth.  In the desert, one day, she finds a long-buried Mech that will toss her into a battle to free her world—woven into a story that draws you in from the moment the Mech is uncovered and keeps you turning pages as Antiquity battles to fight for a better world.  A world currently controlled by Dreadths who have ruled and done everything in their power to drag her family through the mud.

With Antiquity discovery, she unlocks a power she has never known before and will use it to unite those who want freedom from the Imperium and dreadths of the world.  Enemies will need to set aside differences to unearth the rot that has invested Solomon Frey.  New allies will emerge, and from the dust will arise a stronger nongrey version of Antiquity.  Antiquity asks those who survived one question "Will you fight and be free beside me?"
This book starts out with a bang—I was invested from the very first page. Basically, the image on the amazing cover is what is described in the beginning of the book, so I could already put names and faces to the descriptions. Unfortunately, my interest waned as the story progressed, and I ended up not loving this book as much as I expected and hoped to.

One day, Antiquity Grey discovers the remains of a giant mech buried in the sand, what she believes is the last of its kind. She wants to unearth it and take it home in an attempt to recover her family’s reputation, but she is thwarted by Manson Dreadth, the son of the enemy family, who tries to claim the mech for himself. What ensues is a battle between enemies who may have to make an uneasy alliance to fight a grander off-world enemy trying to destroy the mech altogether.

When I discovered that this book features both futuristic technology AND dragons, I was so excited!! Two of my favorite things. This is a coming-of-age story with lots of adventure and big bot battles. Despite the descriptions, however, there were hardly any dragons in this book, which disappointed me. There were mentions of dragons, and they talk about going to the Dragonell Mountains a lot, but none actually made an appearance until over 70% into the story, and even then they were barely present.

This book features my least favorite trope, which is the coming-back-to-life trope. This book is kind of different because here there’s a hologram of a dead person, but it has that person’s memories and can communicate as if they were alive. So that kind of bugged me, and the fact that this holo-dead person is who gives Antiquity the quest that she spends the book working toward. And then of course the fate of the whole world rests on whether she can accomplish this quest or not. I don’t like when books (or movies) have the protagonist in charge of saving the whole world or the whole galaxy, etc. because that’s too unrealistic to ever be believable. I like when books have smaller stakes, but that’s just a personal preference for me.

Another issue I had was that Antiquity and her crew spend almost the whole book going on this adventure, and then in the span of a single page, they go back home. That’s just poor writing, in my opinion, and it kind of made the whole adventure feel pointless.

The dialogue between characters felt stilted and contrived to me, like people wouldn’t really talk like that, and the characters themselves were two-dimensional and needed more depth. I attribute those shortcomings to bad writing as well. I admit that I didn’t love the overall writing style in this book, and I think that was my biggest problem. I liked the story and the setting, but I don’t think it was put together well.

The pacing is kind of odd in this book. It feels slow-paced during each scene because the dialogue is slow, but then the book will jump between scenes quickly. Like all of a sudden the characters were in a new place and barely any time was spent getting from A to B, but then they will spend forever in that place, talking. It was kind of jarring and not super enjoyable for me.

I would have liked more explanation surrounding the technology, the government structure, the original purpose of the mechs, and the politics surrounding the Imperium and the Celestials and Erth. The setting itself was really neat, but there was not enough world-building done to really make any aspects of the story come to life for me.

From about the 50% mark to the end, I struggled to maintain focus on the story. I just wanted to be done. This book had so many components that I love in fantasy/sci-fi stories: a dystopian setting, futuristic technology, dragons, giant mechs, a mysterious quest, a female protagonist, enemies to friends trope, and so much more. But I didn’t entirely care for how it was executed. There wasn’t enough substance here, and the writing style wasn’t my favorite. If anyone knows of a book with similar elements but with in-depth descriptions and more sophisticated writing, let me know!

I don’t know if I’ll be continuing on with this series or not. This first book wrapped up nicely and I don’t feel super inclined to continue the story. If I can find audiobooks for future installments I might give it a go, but I can’t see myself reading more books with my eyes, based on how I struggled so much to get through the second half of the book. I do, however, think The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey would make a great tv show, and I would love to watch it if that ever happens.
This is a great YA story. Antiquity Grey hates that her family is "Grey Shamed". She is not even allowed to say her real last name in public. Until, one day, she finds a Mech buried in the sand near her home. She realizes that this is her great grandmother's Mech.and decides to bring it home.

When this decision leads to her grandmother being murdered, she takes the Mech and sets off with her best friends and a boy she considers to be her enemy on a journey to clear her family's name.

The mix of fantasy and sci fi is well done and I enjoyed the world building. I recommend this to YA and not so YA.
"The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey" is a pretty fantastic YA sci-fi/fantasy mix that I thoroughly enjoyed. It has a great plot (which hooks you from the first page), fascinating characters (who never grow dull), and is written very well. The world in this book is perfectly crafted, with plenty of atmosphere. Can't wait for the second book!

My thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley. This review was written voluntarily and is entirely my own, unbiased, opinion.
Family secrets sometimes  surprise even those who are involved in them. Because of secrets revealed to her, a young teen receives pressure to succeed and the drive to save her whole town in The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey by Shawn Speakman. The heroine finds a gigantic robot buried in the sand near her home, which causes her grandmother to tell her the story of her destiny. What follows is a pilgrimage to find answers which may save her threatened village. Antiquity enlists her best friends and also picks up some odd balls along the way. This group comes together to learn the skills needed in the exotic lands that they visit. Be aware that there is a glossary in the back of the book that can aid in grasping the science fiction and fantasy terms specific to this novel. I appreciated the pace of this story, seldom slowing down for descriptions of the world in which the group was traveling. Consequently, the characters had little grieving or discussion of how they were handling all the changes in their lives which was somewhat unrealistic to me. However, I believe there is plenty of room for sequels and plenty of folks in the characters’ family trees for a prequel. Think of it as a cross between Arabian Nights and Transformers, but with a lot more female characters. I enjoyed this book and look forward to others in the world, and am thankful for an ecopy from NetGalley which I received for an honest review.
dnf at 32%

I don't like to DNF, and wish I could say that I stopped reading because the author wrote for a younger audience, but I've read amazing YA sci-fi and fantasy books so that's just not the case here. I think in this particular circumstance, we are thrown into the action of this book, but not given much character development or a decently paced plot to really care about what's going on. I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again and getting nowhere. The writing was stiff, and there were also a few themes I wasn't fond of from the beginning.

I find it hard when there are character deaths (usually in YA it's family members of young people/teens) that are only written in to serve the plot and do nothing to affect the characters. If one of my close relatives died, I'd at least have some kind of reaction and grieving to go through even if I've got to save myself and go on an epic journey to save the family name.

For me the writing execution I like is the difference between telling me "they appeared to live hard lives. They didn't like us," and showing me something like, "Stoney eyes watched from behind bins filled to the brim with filth. Backs bent from years working in the sun, the people here were wary of us." It's showing vs telling and I sometimes I can put up with it, sometimes I can't. With this book I couldn't.

Overall this may be a better option for people looking for a simple, younger-read, YA sci-fi that doesn't require much thinking and is something you can just experience. For me, I need the story to be a little more immersive, especially if it's sci-fi/ fantasy.

xx
-Christine
I received this ebook for free to review.

The premise of this story was interesting. A conquered earth, titanium mechs and a deposed ruling family seem like the start to a great book. It did have those things going for it but I struggled to connect to the characters. Nothing about them felt particularly likable or hated. They did not elicit strong emotions though they clearly were meant to. Some of the dialogue was choppy to me.

I felt like we didn’t get enough of the history of this planet or the oppression of the people to really be able to get behind the main characters cause. I could never really feel the high stakes.

I will say that i never expected to cringe at the detailed destruction of a mech the way i would cringe at a particularly terrible death of a character. Also what a killer title!
The Tempered Steel of Antiquity Grey has a very strong and promising start. We are introduced to the main character and the world and it's all very exciting.
The premise is interesting--a girl, shunned because of her ancestors, discovers a mech in the buried sands of the desert, not knowing that it will change things forever. From there the story enfolds.

I was very excited to read this after reading the synopsis. But I am very disappointed I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
I didn't connect well with any of the characters, and at some points I thought it was starting to drag on. There were also some continuity issues that seemed strange and sudden flashbacks that felt out of place.

The worldbuilding was fascinating, though, and I hope we see more of it in the sequel. I did love Antiquity as a character, and I thought she was very fun to watch. I liked how she dealt with the fact her family was being shunned and how strong she was.

There were many good ideas presented in this book, and at times it was very exciting and thrilling. I would recommend it to those who like Star Wars and an action-packed read with a strong female lead.

Many thanks to Netgallery and Grim Oak Press for an ARC in exchange for a honest review!
💛✌️BOOK REVIEW TIME✌️💛

Thank you so much to the publisher and author for this gifted copy of the book via NetGalley.

What a delightful, quick paced and exciting read. I enjoyed diving into this world and getting to know these characters. The writing is fluid, flowing and easy to read without being simple and I will certainly be looking out for more by the author.

Recommend to all.