Cover Image: Between You and Me

Between You and Me

Wow! What an enjoyable story, well written with great characters. I felt very sympathetic to the main protagonist, Lauren, in her role as a step mum. I was sorry when I came to the end of the book which had añ excellent ending and left me wondering. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book and to discover this excellent author.
Synopsis: When Lauren meets Joe on a trip she tries to forget about him and leave it all behind. A year later when they fall even deeper in love they find out how there is much more to a relationship than just love. In Joe’s previous marriage he had two kinds and his ex wife shares custody with him. Lauren finds out that being a stepmom isn't always easy.

Thought: I think that this book did a great job talking about some of the difficulties of dating and marriage when one of the spouses has children. It brings a whole new level and other relationships in. I felt like I understood what Laruen was feeling and that I could have been there to give her advice even though I'm not sure that would have helped.
A gripping story about family relationships and how it's difficult to create the perfect balance. Ms Mason doesn't shy away from the gritty details of life and this kept me turning the pages. Realistic, twisty and enjoyable. Five stars!
Carol Mason does slow burn domestic fiction brilliantly and I can see why she is such a popular thriller writer.. Filled to the brim with family drama consisting of the main character Lauren whom has married Joe. Joe's ex-wife and 2 kids make up the rest of this drama filled escapade. If your after a solid family psychological drama look no further.
I really enjoyed the characters in this book, and I think the 'fairytale romance' start to the book lured me in - sometimes you can't go wrong with a bit of cheesy romance! As the plot developed I started to question some of the main characters, so it kept me guessing and eager to read more. There were some interesting plot twists which weren't too obvious, and despite the romantic element to the plot, it avoided the predictability that often comes with such genres. A nice easy page-turner.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review. An interesting novel by a new author in my personal reading-sphere! I am sure others would enjoy it too. Good character portrayls, descriptive setting and gripping plot.
Between You and Me is an engrossing domestic drama detailing dating and marriage within the modern family.  Lauren, a young doctor from the UK, meets older, charming Joe at a resort in the States. There is immediate chemistry but knowing his situation is complicated Joe leaves it at that. Fast-forward 14 months later-Joe and Lauren are married.  Told through Lauren's perspective, with some flashbacks to the past, we find out that Joe's situation was no longer complicated and he and Lauren had a whirlwind courtship-and became an instant-family with his two children.  Lauren navigates being a stepmom to a teenager and a four-year old while Joe expects her to jump in without much preparation or help. Situations arise that threaten their happiness and family life; Carol Mason takes you on an emotional roller coaster while leaving some things to the reader's interpretation.

I enjoyed this story and how Mason developed some of the characters and really examined how modern families blend today.  Some of the situations Lauren found herself in seemed a little far-fetched but if the lens we are supposed to see her through is that of someone without exposure to caring for children than that could be accurate. Overall a 3.5 star read-had there been some more context and development of why Joe changed so much it would have been a 4 start novel.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest feedback.
I enjoyed this book but just wanted to give the two main characters a good old shake and tell them to stop and talk to each other.
Carol Mason has written a compelling novel in this slow-burn, riveting work of fiction.

Lauren, a junior doctor, is an extremely intriguing character. She met Joe when she was in her final year of medical school but as Joe was married, with a thirteen-year-old daughter Grace and a son, Toby, aged three, there could not be anything between Lauren and him. But a year later, Joe is divorced.

Regularly displaying a cocktail of emotions, including frustration and bitterness I could really empathise with Lauren as she struggled with her blended family; her role as a step mum, and seemingly never being able to please anyone or get things right. As she also tried to manage a demanding career, she struggled with her new life. I was invested in Carol Mason's characters even though the majority were difficult to like. The story encompasses marriage, divorce, exes, and many blended family issues and I found it extremely insightful, helped along by the author's beautiful writing which has depth and substance. The ending was unexpected and I will definitely be reading more of Carol Mason's books in the future.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Amazon Publishing/ Lake Union via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I don't think I've read anything else by Carol Mason, but if Between You and Me is anything to go on, I should!

Saying I enjoyed this book is complicated. I definitely liked Lauren and much like Lauren, I liked Joe, in the beginning. Between Joe and Meredith, I spent the book alternately yelling and wanting to smack them into some sort of awareness.  Now that may sound like a bad thing, but isn't always. Without them being who they were, there wouldn't be any drama in this well-written domestic drama.

After a point though, even Lauren joined the should I smack you or yell at you squad, but overall this book was very good. It's a story line we've seen before - sweet woman marries a divorced dad with a few kids and lo and behold, dad has a huge blind spot. But this author takes that and moves somewhat behind it and in a good way.

If you haven't read Ms. Mason, I'd recommend remedying that and if you have, you'll want to pick this book up.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and publisher for an ARC at my request. All thoughts are my own.
3.5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was my first book by Carol Mason which was an enjoyable read. It’s a family drama about Lauren who becomes a stepmother to 2 young children. Lots of twists and turns in their lives to keep you reading. The ending wasn’t what I expected but I do like it.

Thanks to Carol Mason, Amazon publishing and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Between You And Me by @carolmasonauthor

Honestly, I really don’t know where to start and end my review. This was my first book by this author but it won’t be my last that I can assure you.
I only know that this book is unputdownable and I don’t know why this book called fiction cause trust me I almost cried at some point and I can simply simply relate my life. It felt like I’m reading me and my husband’s life… 😓🤷🏻‍♀️

This is a story of Lauren, newly registered doctor and her husband, Joe who once married and have two beautiful kids Grace and Toby.
Meredith his ex-wife always eyeing for a chance to accuse Lauren that how misfit she’s for the family.

This will be my favourite read from this year. The story is too emotional for me. First I thought it’ll be a thriller but it’s definitely not it’s touchy. More importantly, I never wanted this book to finish cause I wanted to read more what happened next with Lauren and Joe.

Few people will not get this book engaging cause I guess they never really been into that situation. They’ll find this book immature. Well, that’s their perspective. But I really enjoyed reading this.

Highly recommend to those mainly who married the person they loved and sacrificed but didn’t regret taking decision at hit of the moment.

Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

Thank you @netgalley and @lakeunionauthors for the #arc in exchange for an honest review.
Lauran falls in love with divorced dad of 2 Joe and goes from single life to mother of two. While I enjoyed the story overall I felt like something was missing. Lots of small plot twists that never felt wrapped up or completed. And the ending left me a bit perplexed.
Well written story about the trials and joys of being a step-mom. Loved this story. The charaters were very well developed and well written.
4 stars
Well written story about family relations.  I found myself wanting to give advice to Lauren.  It was easy also to relate to the step daughter having to deal with another woman coming into her fathers life and competing for his attention.  It held my interest throughout and was an enjoyable read.
Between You and Me was a great read. It kept me engaged throughout. A step-mom isn’t easy job, neither is being the next wife. Especially if her husband isn’t all she thinks.
Lauren meets Joe on vacation. A swift courtship, a marriage, relocations. Trying to establish both professional and domestic problems , keeps Lauren at her wits ends. She is dealing with an ambivalent husband who clearly dentures to his ex wife in all matters of the children. She tries to see all sides and in the end finds herself retreating from the woman she was to someone she doesn’t recognize. The ending is worth the fare. Happy reading
The story is told from the perspective of Lauren, a hardworking woman who is training to be a Doctor when she meets – and marries Joe. He is a divorced father of two, and Lauren is drawn to him instantly.

Lauren’s relationship with Joe’s teenage daughter Grace, along with his ex wife Meredith is difficult – and that really is putting it mildly. Lauren is determined to be the best step mother she can possibly be to four year old Toby along with Grace, but she somehow never seems to get things right, and with Joe reluctant to take her side when she clashes with Grace, Lauren is quickly coming to realise that the happy life she pictured is far from the life she is actually living.

When Joe then starts retreating into himself, and leaving Lauren to struggle on her own, he is far from the dashing man she met back in California, and as the situations surrounding them escalate Lauren finds herself questioning whether she actually knows her husband at all…

Everything about this book was wonderful! The storyline itself is perfectly structured and has so much depth and detail throughout. Each of the characters have complex personalities, and each of them have flaws – as all humans do!. This made them all the more realistic and even relatable at times. I really felt for Lauren as she struggled to adjust to becoming a step mother to a reluctant teenager, and the constant power struggles that arose between herself and their mother Meredith.

A tense, suspenseful read that had me well and truly hooked. This is an absolute page turner that I urge you all to read!.
This was one of those maddening tales that kept me reading well into the night while greatly annoyed with ALL the characters. They each needed a few firm pinches and even a swat or two to the back of the head.  Ms. Mason excels at creating curiously compelling yet vile characters I love to hate.  Her well-textured and shrewdly paced storytelling lures me into an interwoven trail of storylines, each with an itchy web of nebulous veracity and questionable sincerity, and I just can’t help myself.
I think I read 90% of this book with a stomachache! Maybe it hit too close to home and emphasized how bad it could have been to be a step parent.

This is the story of Lauren, told by Lauren herself. Lauren is a doctor in training when she meets and marries Joe, a divorced father of 2. To say that Lauren’s relationship with Joe’s teenage daughter Grace and ex-wife Meredith are tricky would be the understatement of the year. I am so glad we handled things completely differently, but as a step parent it was all too easy to imagine everything Lauren was going through. I was literally appalled by how she was treated and although I did not agree with how she handled things, I could imagine some people would go down that path.

I enjoyed the style of writing and there was never a dull moment. I simply had to know what drama the next chapter would hold and if the characters would ever change. I didn’t particularly like many of the characters, but the story was good… except the end. Now there needs to be a sequel, only I am not sure I can handle reading another whole book with a stomachache. Perhaps a short story sequel would be better?

I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.