Cover Image: Strawberries and Crime

Strawberries and Crime

A relaxing cozy mystery with a highly intelligent pig. The setting is Little Acorn, a rural town in Southern California among the hills of the Santa Barbara Mountains. Most of the action takes place on the Finn Family Farm or on the local farms owned by the murder victim or the various suspects.

I learned a great deal about farming, particularly organic farming. Assisting the human population in solving the murder/suicide of Linc Pierce are a variety of animals including Horse (a pig who ate like one), Mrs. Robinson (a ladybug), and Fred and Ginger (a pair of nesting barn owls). It was concerning when Charlotte Finn and the Chief of Police took much of the last chapter walking through the evidence to educate their audience and the reader as to how they solved the crime. One would expect a well-written cozy mystery not to require this kind of detail.

The book was a relaxing read and worthy of a four-star review.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.
Strawberries And Crime is the second book in the Finn Family Farm Mystery series by Elle Brooke White.

Charlotte Finn is settling in nicely at the farm she inherited from her uncle, Finn Family Farm, and helping Charlotte on the farm by Joe and Alice Wong, caretakers, and Sam Watson, farmer, who stayed on when Charlotte took over the farm.  Also involved on the farm are Diane and Beau Mason,  BFF, who were childhood friends of Charlotte.

Charlotte and Beau head into town to pick up some supplies and come across some farmers arguing outside the feed store.  The argument is about the blight that some of the farmers are experiencing.  Linc, the most vocal of the farmers, pushes Beau to the ground, calling him a pretty boy.  The next day Charlotte and Beau head out to Linc’s farm to discuss the previous day’s altercation.  When they enter his barn, they find him hanging from a rafter.  At first, the police ruled it a suicide but later called it a homicide, with Beau becoming the prime suspect.

Charlotte will begin her investigation in hopes of clearing Beau from a possible murder charge.  There seems to be no shortage of suspects.  She suspects the contractor that is building Diane’s restaurant that is being constructed on the farm.  She will also suspect some neighboring farmers who seem to be reluctant to share information about their farming methods.  She will find a clue in Linc’s barn that will head her in the right direction.

This book is an excellent follow-up to the first book in this series.  The book is well-written and had enough red herrings that I was kept guessing until the end of the book as to who the killer was.  The characters are well-developed and believable.  I particularly enjoy Horse, the little pig, and his friend Mrs. Robinson, the ladybug who helps Charlotte.

I will be watching for the next book in this exciting and interesting series.
Strawberries and Crime by Elle Brooke White is the 2nd book in A Finn Family Farm Mystery series, and an enjoyable read. Charlotte Finn inherited her family's produce farm in Little Acorn, California . Charlotte is settling in, until a plant disease is destroying strawberries.  The only person who's strawberries are fine is Linc Pierce, who is found dead after hanging himself.  Charlotte doesn't know who to trust, so she begins her sleuthing with the help of a baby pig named Horse and some old childhood friends. I really enjoyed this book, and think the series is off to a good start. I am looking for the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book to all people who love cozy mysteries.
This was a cute mystery that I enjoyed reading. The star of the book, is Horse, who is a pig. I wasn't sure what to expect when they said the pig sniffed out clues to the whodunit, if it was going to be something akin to the Jules and Bun mysteries where the rabbit can "talk" or if the piggie is just an intelligent side kick.,

Charlotte Finn is settled in and making a go of the farm she recently inherited from her great uncle Tobias. Her BFF Diane is going to open a restaurant on the property and the farm is abuzz with excitement about the pending opening. Unfortunately, a murder puts a damper on the festivities, especially because Diane's builder and paramour, Danny, is a suspect. To make matters worse, a strawberry plight is attacking local crops and several clues lead Charlotte to believe this is manmade. She and Horse are determined to get to the bottom of things.

Again, Horse is the star here. I wanted a pet pig after reading this. Charlotte is a feisty, headstrong and smart character and I appreciate she takes no guff from anyone and holds her own with the males in her farming town. The plot was charming and the characters equally charming. An enjoyable way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Charlotte Finn had settled into life on the Finn Family Farm and was happy in her surroundings, until blight started attacking the strawberries. Only one farm in the area didn’t seem to be affected, and when the cantankerous old farmer was found hanging in his barn, Charlotte and Boyd thought it was suicide. But it didn’t take long before it was proven to be a murder. The Chief of Police was doing her best under trying circumstances, while Charlotte was investigating on the side.

I was initially attracted to the cover of this book, and although I haven’t read the first in the series, I found Strawberries and Crime by Elle Brooke White easy enough to get into. But in my opinion, the story and writing were mediocre at best. I found myself annoyed with Charlotte and her followers – they seemed childish and immature. And a comment by one of the characters – “This isn’t a farm, it’s a zoo without cages” – seemed spot on to me. A pig called Horse; a ladybeetle called Mrs Robinson; it was more along the lines of a children’s book in my opinion. Not for me I’m afraid.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Charlotte Finn is finding her footing as a farmer, growing strawberries and tomatoes on the Finn Family Farm. With her career in big city advertising in the rear view mirror she is settled down and shares the farm with BFF Diane, her brother Beau, farmer Sam, Alice and her husband, Joe. As a team they work hard to keep the farm running smoothly since Charlotte inherited it from her uncle. They have high hopes for the upcoming strawberry season since Charlotte introduced her You Pick'em method of selling the crop to help them save money. It's not long before there are storm clouds on their horizon. While making a stop at the town garden center she and Beau stumble into a heated argument in the parking lot. Farmers are agitated and throwing around opinions about a strange blight that is affecting their strawberry crops. If it can't be stopped the season will be wiped out. One man is the loudest and gets in Beau's face before he leaves. When he later turns up dead suspicion turns to Beau. Knowing Beau wouldn't hurt a fly, Charlotte and her friends set out to unmask the killer.
The setting of Acorn, California is a true cozy small town. The mystery was a complex enough puzzle to keep me engaged to the end but the real draw of this series is Horse. He is the sweetest and the smartest little pink pig in the mystery genre. Where most main characters have a dog or cat as their "sidekick" Charlotte has Horse and they are an outstanding team. (He's named Horse because he eats like one)
My thanks to the publisher Crooked Lane and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Blight has struck all the strawberry farms in Little Acorn except one- Linc's.  He's a grouchy man and obnoxious- so much so that he enrages the usually calm Beau, Charlotte's BFF.  She's new to the area (she inherited the farm) but luckily not to sleuthing because Beau becomes the prime suspect when Linc is murdered.  And it's lucky as well that Chief Teresa Goodacre is a patient woman because Charlotte, and her pig Horse, are mucking around in the case.  It's a classic cozy that at times is a bit too cute but it's also fun.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  I missed the first book but this was fine as a standalone.
I love a good cozy mystery and the pig sleuth was entertaining and so different! I hadn’t read the first installment of the series and didn’t feel like I was missing anything from the story but I will go back and read it just because the story was so cute! I will definitely be looking for more from this author!
Firstly I must point out that I had some difficulties reading this book which probably affected my enjoyment of it a little. The ARC I received for my Kindle had letters missing from the text - everywhere and all through the book. I could work out what words should have been but it did throw me out of the story a bit. I struggled with 'ba fled' for ages until the context suggested it should have read 'baffled.'

I guessed baffled was what I was but I persevered. There was a good story in there, set in the countryside, on and around the Finn Family strawberry farm. Charlotte Finn is the main character and owner of the farm and there are a number of friends and locals who feature too. Plus I must not forget the baby pig who aids in the investigation work and is called Horse because he eats like one.

The mystery is solid, the characters are all okay, the pig is a little over the top and the book turns out to be a satisfactory read.
I liked the first book in this series but couldn't get myself to finish this second book. My favorite character is the pig who I love. I didn't like any of the human characters unfortunately.
A great and fun book that I read in a day (which is not like me!).

This is an easy to read Cosy Mystery which I have only just been getting into and there are plenty of twists and turns, But it is also fun with farm animals and loveable characters, good guys and bad guys and of course a dead body.

I like it because it is fun, easy to read and a great type of book for holidays or just relaxing as I normally read more indepth  books and not a lot of mystery.  This was a great change from my normal and I will be reading more of this style in the future.

Decided to pick this up because it reminds me of Charlotte's Web. It's more of a cozy mystery that I've indulged over the weekend. And the lil piggy was so cute hehe, i love the atmosphere and the characters. I'll be looking forward toward the next book by White.
A sleuth pig...now that is different! I like the setting and the cleaver ideas of making money on a one product farm.  It certainly allows for a good mystery when strawberries start to be damaged and a dead body is found.  it cutesy cozy mystery for sure.  I liked the story tho I found the pig unbelievable. A good ending too.
This second entry in the Finn Family Farm Mystery series from Elle Brooke White is a cute cozy mystery perfect for a casual summertime read.

An unusual strawberry blight leaves the farmers of Little Acorn reeling, and when one of their own turns up dead, it is up to Charlotte Finn and Horse, her sidekick sleuth of a pet pig, to save the day.

But while the addition of a hyper-intelligent porcine companion added a whimsical Babe-like quality to the otherwise traditional whodunnit, I would have liked to see this conceit more consistently throughout.

Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this nibble of a novel to fans of the genre.
This is the second book in this series and it is even better then the first. This series has great characters and is set in a wonderful location.  I cannot wait for the next book.
Great series and author. Looking forward to the next book in the series. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend reading them in order
This is the second book in the Finn Family Farm series. Charlotte inherited her uncle's farm after he passed and decide to try and make a go of it. Everything is going well until a strawberry blight that no one knows how to handle suddenly appears. As tempers and accusations fly Charlotte's friend Beau ends up in the middle. When another farmer dies after an altercation with Beau he ends up being the prime suspect. Charlotte and her amazing crime solving pig Horse now have two mysteries to solve. I had not read the first book when I started this book, but as there were quite a few things in the beginning that I felt lost on I decided to read book 1 first.  It was a fairly decent book so I came back to this one. I started out good. I have to say the pig Horse just makes these books. Unfortunately for that is where the good ended. I found the characters to be one dimensional. There was not enough character development or interaction. I also found the flow to be slow going and wishing it would get somewhere already. All in all an ok book. I don't think I will read the next one though.
Fun cozy mystery revolving around an inherited farm and Charlotte Finn learning how to maintain it.
A suspicious death is connected to the strawberry blight the farmers are facing and Charlotte sets out to solve the crime.
While this is an entertaining story, there wasn't anything about it that makes it stand out from some of my favorites.
I am looking forward to reading the next book.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for selecting me to read an advanced copy of this book.
Charlotte Finn is building a beautiful life for herself on the farm she inherited from her Great Uncle. She is surrounded by a great support system of people that work and live on her farm, along with her best friend Diane. Diane is close to realizing her dream of opening her own restaurant, life seems to be perfect until Charlotte and Diane’s brother Beau make a trip into the town of Little Acorn where they learn of a mysterious plight affecting the strawberry crops of Little Acorn. Charlotte puts on her detective hat and is ready to get to the bottom of this. Charlotte and Beau pay a visit to a neighbouring farm and find the occupant Ling Pierce dead of apparent suicide. But, when the death is ruled a homicide Charlotte can’t seem (or try) to keep out of the investigation. With the help of her pet pig ‘Horse’ Charlotte is on the case!
This book was just what you want from a cosy mystery. The author painted a lovely life for Charlotte and I was rooting for her and her friends from start to finish. The addition of Horse the pig was the ‘strawberry’ on top of the sundae. I hadn’t read the first book in the series and the story was still very clear and now I want to read the first one, and the next one and many more books just like it!
Enjoyed reading this cozy mystery that let me escape to a farm for a bit.  It was a fairly quick read. I look forward to the next book in the series.