Cover Image: Hexing the Ex

Publisher: Crimson House Books

Author: Susanna Shore

Pages: 224pp

Price: $7.99 / $3.99

Suddenly homeless after her flatmate nearly destroys their apartment, Phoebe Thorpe lucks into a new place to live: a room over a magic shop in London. At first, her landladies and fellow renters just seem like a quirky, if friendly, group. But then things get … weird. A statue sent to her auction house turns out to be cursed, and the curse latches onto Phoebe. It turns out that, not only is magic real, but so are werewolves, vampires, mages … and hellhounds. As the effects of the curse worsen, Phoebe and her new friends team up to find the mage who originally cast it. Along the way, they uncover a conspiracy that could throw the mundane and magical worlds into chaos ….

I was in the mood for a cozy, comfortable paranormal adventure, so when Hexing the Ex popped up on netgalley, I took a chance and downloaded it. Over all, it met my expectations.

Phoebe is an appealing protagonist: a lover of antiquities and history, she also possesses a healthy skepticism and a strong sense of self; it takes a lot to convince her that the paranormal world is real, but once the evidence is presented, she accepts it; and when she discovers that her long-time boyfriend has been cheating on her, she breaks up with him immediately.

The supporting cast is fun, as well: her boss, Archibald Kane, has a strong sense of ethics when it comes to the use of magic. Her landladies, Amber and Giselle, are protective, motherly kitchen witches. Her roommates, Ashley and Luca, are (no surprise) a werewolf and a vampire, and they get along tolerably well with one another; Ashley works as a firefighter, where her werewolf strength and olfactory senses are very useful; Luca spends his days sleeping and his nights regaling Phoebe with humorous tales of life a century earlier.

Although Hexing the Ex is billed as a mystery, there really isn’t much of an investigation. They figure out who sent the cursed statue fairly quickly, though the why takes a bit longer. And, even though the curse was dangerous, I never really worried for the fate of Phoebe or the other characters. There was no sense of impending doom. I knew that everything would work out in the end.

Hexing the Ex is a quick and breezy, easy read with appealing characters, a fun little mystery, and the promise of more to come. Perfect for relaxing after a stressful day at work, or between running frantic errands.
Hexing the Ex is the first book in a new cozy paranormal series.
This is a good start to a new cozy paranormal series.
The characters are well written and funny.
The mystery was fun too and kept me guessing.
I look forward to the next book in the series.
Series Starter – Fun Paranormal Adventure
This book is the start of a new series. This is a fun, paranormal adventure that is set in London. Our main character is human, the supporting cast includes all sorts of paranormal entities. The plot of this story has some interesting turns as the reader follows the characters in discovery. It is well done with a decent amount of witty banter, and personal ethics. I can't wait for the next book. This is definitely a series that I want to read. I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
What a fun escape read!  Can't imagine being cursed but Phoebe is caught by a bad curse.  And a curse coming back to her.  Luckily she is a nice gal that doesn't wish for bad things even for her ex.  Finding herself living with enhanced people added to the fun.  I thought the book was fun and plenty of action.  Great book!
The cover of this confused me slightly as it implies part cozy mystery, part chick-lit and really didn't help me work out its genre. For readers wanting romance/chick-lit, this has hints and for readers wanting cozy mystery, there's a big nod towards this genre. Be warned - it does contain swearing and it's definitely a *mystery* rather than a *murder* mystery. My other biggest gripe was I didn't like the first chapter, as it was a contrived way to kick off the main plot.

However, once I got past that, I very much enjoyed 'Hexing the Ex' and read it to the end.
It has a great cast of characters, an interesting plot, a boss in his boxers and it was clear the author very much enjoyed writing the book, particularly with the side characters.

I read this via a Netgalley ARC and it contained the first chapter for book 2. I will definitely be reading the second in the series as I'm invested enough in the characters and it was a good, fun read that let me escape the world for a couple of hours.
Hexing the Ex is about Phoebe. an assistant to an art dealer. Recently broken up with her boyfriend, and evicted from her apartment, she finds refuge in a strange "House of Magic"
It also doesn't help that her incredibly hot boss is involved in something shady. Everything stays normal until she receives a strange statue delivered to her office.

Right from the very beginning, the book hooked me in. The plot is interesting and everything falls perfectly into place, to keep the story engaging.

I feel the book borrowed a lot from the mythologies. While it was interesting and exciting, it was a bit predictable.

Overall, I loved reading the book. The boss Archibald Kane is *chef's kiss*
Will recommend this to all chick-lit and fantasy lovers who would like to experiment.
Loved it.

After Phoebe finds a mysterious package at the door of the antique’s shop / gallery where she works, she accidentally curses herself: all her wishes come true. But with magic there’s always repercussions.

Lucky for Phoebe, her boss is a mage and her two new landladies are no strangers to magic themselves. With their help, Phoebe sets out to find out who cursed her and why, but most importantly, to have the curse lifted, before she accidentally makes another wish.

Loved the story, loved the characters.

It reads as a stand-alone, but apparently it’s part of a series, so I’m curious about that.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing the ARC.

I found it intriguing that the main character who is non magical is cursed and the plot is about breaking the said curse. Sadly, the good points end there. The book suffers from awkward flow in writing, bland characters, grammatical and technical mistakes. I don’t think i would read the second book.
Really charming story. I fell in love from the very first chapter and absolutely adored the House of Magic. I'm not usually a fan of cozy mysteries, as I generally find them too unrealistic, but since this was fantasy anyway, that part didn't bother me at all here. In some ways, it actually reminded me quite a bit of "Enchanted, Inc." by Shanna Swendson, with all the magical creatures running around.

I did miss an explanation for why Phoebe was suddenly magically inclined, as I never felt that was really explained. Perhaps it'll come in a sequel?

The title is slightly misleading as it wasn't actually the ex being hexed.... nor did it have as many hexes as I had expected it to, but I did enjoy the way the hex was managed in the end.
A big THANKS to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this eARC for an honest review.

A very promising start to a paranormal cozy mystery series. Phoebe Thorpe is a delightful character, full of sweetness and spunk! I doubt many in her predicament would have handled it with such grace. There are a great many things to love about this story, especially the characters who are all so likeable and charming. I will be interested to learn more about them as we go. This series will appeal to readers in need of a quick, light-hearted read.

#HexingtheEx #NetGalley
An amazing premise , characters and the entire story line. There were so many new elements in the book . I loved Phoebe .She was brilliant.Can't wait to read the sequel !
Hexing the Ex is the first book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore. I didn’t expect to be evicted the first thing I returned from my holiday, but thanks to my roommate Nick, that’s what I was facing. It’s not exactly easy to find a new place to live in London, so when Phoebe Thorpe spots a room-to-let sign at the window of a magic shop, she doesn’t hesitate. The room is perfect, even if chores are part of the rent. There is only one thing odd about her new landladies. They seem to believe magic exists. Phoebe doesn’t believe in magic, but unfortunately magic believes in her. A mysterious statuette is sent to her boss, Archibald Kane, and she accidentally triggers a curse meant for him. Naturally, the first person she curses is her ex-boyfriend. But why would anyone want to curse her boss, a perfectly ordinary antiques dealer? Or is he? Phoebe sets out to break the curse with the help of her new housemates. But it isn’t easy trying to solve a mystery she doesn’t even believe is real. Then again, that hellhound chasing her seemed pretty solid.

Hexing the Ex is a good series starter that hits a good balance of world and character building with action and fun. I liked Phoebe and enjoyed getting to know her and the group of characters that are or become part of her life.Her self awareness and willingness to adapt to new revelations made everything interesting and fun.  I thought the reveal of the magical world was well done and the mystery storyline had some really good twists in it, finishing off with something very different than I expected. The amounts of humor and action were very well balanced, with the characters not taking themselves to seriously. I found the curse and other magic elements to be well handled, using both traditional and fresh interpretation to the story and world building. I really enjoyed the read and plan on reading more from this author- including future installments of this series and their back list.

Hexing the Ex is a fun and enteraining read. I hope to continue with this series.
A fun start to a good series. Phoebe is forced to find a new place to live after her flatmate flooded the apartment they shared. Finding a place, called Magic House, was a stroke of luck. Meeting mages, werewolves and vampires was an interesting twist. A light and fun read, perfect for summer. Highly recommend this series, book and author.
An intriguing read with thrills along the way! Completely different to my normal reading style but thoroughly enjoyed this non the less and worth picking up!
This is what cosy mysteries are all about !
What more could I ask for lovable characters a house of magic. I loved the development as Phoebe realises more of what's going on around her. A great start to a series I can't wait to continue with the next one.
I clicked this cause I loved the cover and now I am in love with the book too!!
It is such a beautiful book, the way the author describes each scene perfectly and how easy it is to imagine yourself in the scene and the writing style is just AWESOME!
Any fan of magical books will love this!!
I can't wait for it's next part, a perfect 5 star read!
Thanks to NetGalley and Crimson House Books for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Phoebe returns from her holiday to find her flat flooded. She needs a new place to live and finds space above the House of Magic. She finds herself cursed at her place of work and her new landlords and her boss work together to solve the problem.

I would have liked a bit more character development but suspect this will come in subsequent books.

This was a fun and fast read and just what I needed to escape for a few hours.
Meh! 2.5 Stars!

First - Thank you to NetGalley and Crimson House Books for providing me with this Ebook in exchange for my honest review.

Overall: The book was just ok in my opinion. It wasn’t very memorable and honestly left me with so many unanswered questions that I just began looking back at all the unlikely scenarios that took place and it ruined my overall feelings in the end.

The premise of this book was enticing and I was really excited to read it and about 15 percent into it, I was really hooked. This started out really strong jumping right into action and then sizzled out pretty quickly. The middle of the book seemed to drag out a bit too much for me with not a ton of build up and then everything just sort of quickly and perfectly wrapped up without much excitement.

I had some issues with the character build up also. Not enough back story was told in order for me to feel connected with any of them and then the little bits of description that was given was contradicted with their actions. Phoebe was just supposed to be an unknowing, non-magical human but not only did she quickly accept the magical concept and people, she basically took over leading the charge of removing the curse; seemed unlikely to me. Her boss was described as strong and looked up to, but Phoebe and the others didn’t really display much admiration towards him and nor did he really do much to give them reason to do so, he was far too passive and honestly he came across as a bit unimpressive.

I also was very displeased with Phoebe’s story and relationship with regards to her Ex. Based on the title of this book, I truly thought it was going to have much more to do with an “Ex” relationship than it actually did. I was expecting a little bit of romance and felt let down that there wasn’t really any at all.

The author has great potential, this is a great premise, but I don’t feel the direction it took was what I was expecting or hoping for. Needs some work but I still thought it had some funny parts too it and if she has built more into the werewolf and vampire characters that would’ve been fun because I honestly feel like they were the best parts.
A super cute, short read.  It was engaging from the start and I read it in one sitting.  While the character development wasn't great, they were quite entertaining.  I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys paranormal cozy mysteries! That seems awfully niche and I'd hazard to say anyone looking for a book to decompress with would enjoy it.
This was a very well written book. The plot was very enticing and I couldn't put the book down. This was a new to me author and I will definitely try another book by this author.