Cover Image: Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic

Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic

This is the fourth title in the Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls series and it is my favourite title to date.

It’s all well and good being told that you can be anything that you want to be but there’s nothing better than seeing people like you and reading about what they have achieved and knowing that through hard-work, dedication and determination you can do it too. Children need relatable, real and inspiring role-models and this is exactly what Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic delivers.

Featuring one-hundred Black women from history right through to the present day and bursting with #BlackGirlMagic, this is the most brilliant celebration of Black women and their achievements. Bang-up-to-date, the superbly collated collection of figures provides a great breadth of coverage. With the well-known names of Naomi Osaka and Kamala Harris, the lesser-known names of Yetnebersh Niguisse and Leah Chase, and the the inclusion of Black women who were born post-2000 - Kheris Rogers, MC Soffia and Nandi Bushell, there is at least one Black women for every reader to relate to and be inspired by. Diverse and inclusive, the featured Black women come from around the world, although most are from the USA, and established themselves and succeeded in a wide range of fields, it is almost an A to Z of endeavours from actors, artists, authors and activists through to veterinarians, vice-presidents, wrestlers and yoga teachers.

Arranged in alphabetical order, women are introduced over double page spreads featuring a full page biography and a vibrant illustration on the facing page. Each biography gives a snapshot of the individual, detailing childhood, growing-up, accomplishments, achievements and legacy. They are a lovely introduction to each of the women and many will leave readers wanting to find out more.

What I love most about this book is that it has been created exclusively by Black people. Four Black women wrote the biographies, the illustrations are the work of over sixty Black female or non-binary artists and the Black woman who coined the phrase ‘Black Girls Are Magic’ was responsible for hand-picking the one-hundred women who feature. All of this #BlackGirlPower does not mean this book is exclusively for Black children. It is a book for all children (and adults) who want to read incredible stories about amazing women who broke down barriers, tore up ‘the rule book’ and have paved or are paving the the way for future generations.

Beautifully presented, lovingly researched and packed full of #BlackGirlMagic, this is a fantastic celebration of Black women. Superbly informative, motivational and inspirational, the stories are testament to what is possible when you dare to dream, are not willing to accept anything other than the best and are determined to get exactly what you want in life.
This is a such a powerful and important book..
As in other books in the Rebel Girl series, it contains bite sized biographies  to engage and inspire all children. In this edition, there is an absolute wealth of uplifting inspirational tales of 100 black women who have shaped the world. Each biography is accompanied by a beautiful illustration, each by a different black female or non binary artist.
There's a variety of inspirational black women from every possible walk of life - including the fields of medicine, business, activism, artists and atheles. EVERYONE - adult or child - who reads this book will find a biography that moves  and speaks to them.
It was age appropriate for both my children at 10 and 8 years and the short snappy sections meant they could absorb the information within the book and pick up the book anytime they liked.

We all learnt a lot from the book and really enjoyed the space at the end of the book that let the reader interact by writing their own story or drawing a portrait. There are activities too which encourage you to reflect on what you have read and further recommended reading.

We were disgusted and shocked by the racism and oppression faced by the women in this book. Every person, irrespective of race, gender of identity should read this book and be inspired to create change and a better world. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to review it.

Thank you to Rebel Girls, the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book in exchange for an honest opinion.
I think these books are awesome in general, because they teach kids about all the amazing women they can look up to. And I think this book, focusing on black women throughout history is so important too. It's so diverse in both sexualites and career paths, and it shows kids that there are no limits to who or what they can be. I'm especially happy about the inclusion of Marsha P Johnson. It's good for kids to learn about queer history as well
This is book 4 of the Good Night Rebel girl series, and I’m so happy to see this edition.  There are so many inspiring stories from women around the world – 100 to be exact, plus an additional 54 mini-bios at the end (as they have been mentioned in one of the previous Good Night books). From athletes, activists, entertainers, politicians, and so many more, stories to read.

This book is perfect addition to your family’s bed time ritual. Read one story a night, or read two, as each story is one page long and is paired with a vibrant full-page illustration. Have I mentioned lately that each portrait was done by women or nonbinary illustrators? Really, this one of my favourite things.

The three profiles that have grabbed my attention: Anna Olga Albertina Brown (aerialist from Poland who was featured in a Degas painting), Sanite Belair (17th century Haitian freedom fighter), and Florence Griffith Joyner (American athlete).

Rest assure this fourth book will accompany the other three in the Good Night For Rebel Girl series, as they continue to be truly amazing, and I look forward to reading about more Rebel Girls in the future.
This is a diverse group of stories about inspiring black women from around the world. There is a one page story facing an illustration provided by many different artists. These are good summaries that will hopefully lead to further reading about many of these amazing women and their professions.
I love how my daughter doesn't see anything different in skin colour. Yes, she understands that there are different skin colours but the concept of someone being treated differently because of it is something that she finds completely crazy. And lets be honest, it is completely crazy, she's absolutely right. But I think it's important that she has an understanding of how POC have been treated differently and have had to overcome things that she will never experience and have had to fight, just to do things that she takes for granted.
Books like this are a way for me to be able to teach her all of these things through other people's experiences that are explained in a simple and relatable way for her.
I hadn't heard of all of the amazing women in this book before, so I learnt something as well as my daughter. I've learnt about teachers swapping childrens grade papers, the origin of #blacklivesmatters, Some of the concepts (I'm not sure that's the right word) were completely new to my 6yo daughter (ie LGBTQI+, transgender) but they were explained well and gave us a way to have a larger discussion around what it means and how it affects people.
This book is about so much more than sin colour.
OMG!! So good!! The inclusion of LGBT+ women is OFF THE CHARTS!! There are women for so many interests and cool stories to last all night. I loved the activites at the end. I HIGHLY recommend for kids of all ages as well as adults looking for a quick educational read.
I received an eARC copy from Rebel Girls via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic. How to even start describing this instalment? What words to use to convey all the powerful butterflies I felt while reading it? It seems an impossible task!

This book celebrates the life experiences of Black women and girls from all around the world, their passions, creativity, heritage, and growth. It also "features the work of over 60 Black female and non-binary authors, illustrators, and editors; is designed to acknowledge, applaud, and amplify the incredible stories of Black women and girls from the past and present; and celebrates Black Girl Magic around the world." This excerpt from the blurb is what caught my attention. Made by Black women about Black women, this book is for everybody ready to share their experiences, read the awe-inspiring stories of growing up and accomplishments all these women achieved; it invites the readers to know more.

While keeping it brief, this recap shows that women are capable of doing everything they set their minds to, evolve into great leaders and personalities, and is a terrific and inspirational representation of diversity, whether a background or a career one. These women are strong, both mentally and physically, inspiring, fought for their visions; they are rulers, athletes, writers, scientists, politicians, you name it! These short biographies tell the young girls around the world that they too can and should achieve great things in their lives. They uplift, they inspire.

The only downside I experienced, which did affect my rating, was the ebook's formatting. It may be only the version I received, I cannot find that out, but the version I had made me extremely disappointed. Usually, the Rebel Girls' books dedicate two pages to one incredible woman, one page containing a story and the other a beautiful illustration. However, this time it gave one page to each inspiring woman - a column for the tale and a column for the illustration. Again, I am not absolutely sure that it wasn't the formatting of the ebook in question, and I do hope that it was, but if not, if the hardcopy is not dedicating two pages to each one of these goddesses, it would make me deeply sad and upset.

This sensation is another perfect addition to the Rebel Girls series that should not be missed, and what an addition it is, a #BlackGirlMagic one. Dreams do come true!
I love hearing about other people’s stories and backgrounds and especially with the BLM movement it really captivated my interest to want to be more informed and do better. This wa s a beautifully put together anthology featuring many inspiring people on the black community offering insight and inspiration.
Premise
Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Real-Life Tales of Black Girl Magic, edited by award-winning journalist Lilly Workneh with a foreword by #BlackGirlMagic originator CaShawn Thompson, is dedicated to amplifying and celebrating the stories of Black women and girls from around the world; features the work of over 60 Black female and non-binary authors, illustrators, and editors; is designed to acknowledge, applaud, and amplify the incredible stories of Black women and girls from the past and present; and celebrates Black Girl Magic around the world.
*Thanks to NetGalley for the e-ARC*
	I did enjoy this book and think it would be a wonderful book to read to young children. I think that there was a balance in the type of figures they used and where the person was from. One critique is that in the ARC for some figures there would be quotes randomly used for some figures and not for others. It would have been cool if more figures from before the 1900s were used to help students connect with history better, this collection has done a better job than other collections in using figures from various points in history but I would have enjoyed it more. I think the artwork was wonderful! One thing I found strange was at the end of this collection they had a section that showcases Black women they mentioned in previous collections, which felt weird that they wanted to show evidence that their previous collections are diverse. On one hand, it helped explain why some figures were not mentioned in this collection on the other hand it was nice that the authors wanted to be held accountable. I definitely recommend this collection!
Yet another gorgeous Rebel Girls book! Thank you so much to them and Netgalley for this ARC.

My bonus daughter absolutely loves hearing these inspirational stories. This book is especially important to me as I grew up in a world full of racism and white privilege and I don't want my kids to think that's normal or acceptable. These stories are shining a light on incredible women of colour and my kids are really enjoying learning more.
A great introduction to a marvelous selection of empowered women. A wonderful read for middle-grade children and beyond. The Rebel Girls brand has never disappointed, and each and every book serves as a reminder for children that their dreams are limitless and self-doubt is the bane of their potential.
Many thanks to Rebel Girls for inviting me to read a digital ARC of this book via Netgalley! I’m a fan of biography vignettes like this one that showcases women being amazing in whatever they choose to do! When I saw that this one was themed “Black Girl Magic”, I knew I just had to read it ASAP! I read it in one sitting and I fell head over heels in one.

This book shone in so many ways, like-
The foreword: I love that when they decided to do a Black Girl Magic themed edition, they acknowledged the creator of the term, CaShawn A Thompson, and invited her to write a heartwarming foreword.
The diversity/inclusivity: This is a list of black women, but even within that frame, this list is very diverse! They didn’t just feature black women from the Western world/ Global North, but they included black women from so many parts of the world, and of various heritages. There are African women, Afro-Latinx women, black Asian women, and so many more. They also included trans women in the list of 100 and that warmed my heart so much!
The illustrations and illustrators: The illustrations in this book were drawn by women and nonbinary people from various parts of the world, including Nigeria! The illustrations vary in style and give the book just a vibrant feel.
The writing: Apart from the illustration in each entry, the writing is also very worthy of applause. In a limited number of words, they were able to encapsulate a lot of the women’s lives and write it in a way that’s empowering to young readers.

After reading the list of 100+ women, I was wondering where some iconic black women were, and why they were left out of this list, but at the end of the list of 100, there is a section that features black women featured in other Rebel Girls series and I found that so cool! There is also a section at the end for readers to write about themselves and that’s really great.
This is such an amazing book that I will recommend a million times over.
We've devoured all of the previous Good night stories for Rebel Girls, and this was another masterpiece, I have learnt so much, probably just as much as my daughters if not more, and the inspirational tales stay with you for days afterwards. With wonderful women ranging from Bessie Coleman to Aretha Franklin, Kamala Harris to Naomi Osaka, this is an absolute must buy for all schools and libraries.
Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls is a wonderful series and this collection of 100 short biographies of women of color are phenomenal. Due out 28th Sept 2021 from the editors of Rebel Girls, it's 240 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

This is a wide-ranging collection of 100 short biographies of girls and women of color representing a spectrum of careers and callings; from medical professionals to athletes, and from scientists to entertainers and activists. This collection will show youngsters that their dreams are important and achievable. 10 year old me would've absolutely loved this book. This will be one that young readers will revisit again and again.

Each mini-bio has the name of the subject, a short header with their field of expertise, and an interesting and well written (age appropriate) biography. The biographies are enhanced by very well rendered portraits of the subjects, short inspirational quotes, as well as a footer entry with biographical info such as birthdate and birthplace. I learned quite a lot myself reading through this book. Many of the biographies will be immediately familiar to readers, but many will likely be new.

Like all of the other books in the series, the editors have included a number of links and resources for further reading. One of the things I really liked about this book was the format of the biographies... they're all sort of written in a fairy-tale style: "Once there was a girl named....", "When Octavia was young, she saw...", "Once upon a time..". This collection would be wonderful for bedtime reading, and by the time the book is read through, youngsters will be ready to start at the beginning again.

Truly worthwhile. This would make a superlative selection for home use, library acquisition, gifting, or school/classroom library.

Five stars.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
What a lovely and inspiring read. Now I need to pick up the rest of the collection as I expect I'll enjoy them just as much as this one
I absolutely loved reading this book. It was such a quick read and I learned loads about inspirational black women who I had never even heard of before! It was really educational which is  always a bonus. I love to learn things while I’m reading without it feeling like a history lesson, and the books story-like prose really enabled that.I don’t really have that much to say, as I shared most of my thoughts in my review of  ‘Rebel Girls Lead.’
I will definitely buy myself a copy when this out!
Thanks to the authors and publishers  for inviting me to view this title.
The book celebrates a diverse range of black women and highlights their achievements. There were many I had heard of, such as Amanda Gorman, Aretha Franklin and Naomi Osaka, but so many others I hadn't. The fact there were so many amazingly accomplished women I had never heard of, shows just how under-appreciated and overlooked they have been. These women have made significant contributions to our world and I was horrified by how many I wasn't familiar with. There were women I did know, but I wasn't aware of their individual stories and what led them to become inspiring leaders, champions, innovators, and creators. Their stories are so inspiring, not only to children but adults too.

The stories appear in alphabetical order so it's easy to find a particular one. Each story fills just one page and the illustrations are bold and eye-catching.

This is a wonderfully inclusive book that I would recommend to anyone.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this one!

This book was a warm hug, like all of the ones in this series. The inspiring stories told to inspire young black girls all over the world were amazing! These women were fascinating, and I’m glad they chose to write an installment about them. The illustrations were impeccable, as always.

Totally recommend picking this one up, even if you don’t have kids!
After reading Rebel Girls Lead I was exciting to get them chance to read this book from the same series. I like that the original volumes in this series highlight multiple races, but that there are installments such as this one that highlight one specific race - and I felt this was a great installment to add to the already existing titles. It includes Black women of varied nationalities, time periods, careers and more. I think this could serve as great inspiration for anyone looking for role models. The art too is a wonderful accompaniment to each story, showcasing the art style of many different artists and providing vibrant images of the women represented. I also appreciated that at the end of the book it showcases other Black women who are featured in the other installments in this series.