Cover Image: The Carnivore Code Cookbook

The Carnivore Code Cookbook

I'm not sure citing Joe Rogan's support in the introduction is the right move here. Not going to lie, it immediately put me off wanting to read further and honestly, I would've put the book back on the shelf if it weren't given to me for free from Netgalley.  That said, Saladino has been on my radar for years as I've been keto and considered going to the carnivore extreme from time to time and I've found his posts informative and well-researched.  The book after the faux pas is as expected and goes scientifically in depth with citations as to the theories and support for the carnivore way of life.  It spends nearly 100 pages demystifying the concept and unraveling the dangers of carbohydrates and even considers the ethics of eating animals.  Thereafter, you get to the actual recipes which have a surprising amount of non-protein ingredients!  Veggies are minimal but nearly often included in each one.  I was anticipating lots of big roast dishes using a quarter hog but the options in the book are pleasantly more refined.  The slow cooker lamb cheeks with creamed kabocha looks dreamy.  He even includes a dessert section with ice cream.  I wish the seafood and fish sections were more robust but overall, it's a solid cookbook - one that I'm glad I gave a chance despite unfortunate political affiliations.  Whether that should impact your support is up to you but with all transparency, my rating is reflective of my opinion on all aspects of the book - introduction included.
The bulk of my issue with this book is that I felt like the title was a little deceiving.. With a title that includes the word 'Carnivore' leaves me to believe it's a book about the Carnivore diet, i.e. only meat. But in reading this book, what I've found is that this is more animal based diet with vegetables and fruit. Something I know true carnivores would never include in their diet. It seems to me that the author uses animal based and carnivore interchangeably.

A few of the recipes I tried from this book:
- Skirt Steak Fajitas: The meat was tender and perfect for fajitas. I made the guacamole that was also with this recipe but I added some more spice. The carnivore tortillas were interesting. They didn't really stand up as a tortilla but that was probably user error.
- Osso Buco Pumpkin Stew: Pumpkin with this flavorful meat was fantastic! I will def be adding pumpkin more often to stews. I had an issue with using so much apple juice; added sugar that I didn't feel was necessary.
- Grilled Mediterranean Lamb Chops: I'm always looking for new ways to cook lamb and this will be on repeat for me! The herb roasted squash it's served with made a great pairing!
- The Perfect Steak: This method did result in a beautiful crusted steak though it felt a little tedious. I've found a similar less time consuming method on the grill that has nearly the same results.
- Cherry Glazed Lamb Chops: I ended up doing this glaze over pork chops and it was fantastic!
- Maple Sage Breakfast Sausage: I was really worried that the maple would cause it to be to sweet but it ended up being just right. I made a bigger batch the second time around and froze some. Stood up in the freezer great!
- Rustic Chicken Liver Pate: Fantastic pate! I pretty much ate in one sitting it was so good. I only wish I could eat it with some good crusty bread.

The recipes I found were easy to follow, most of them didn't have a ton of ingredients and didn't have a lot of instructions. Some of the ingredients were hard to find but I liked that he offered substitutions and even offered some ways to mix up the recipe.

Thank you to NetGalley and Mariner Books for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed reading about the background of this type of eating routine.  The pictures were wonderful.  I tried one of the recipes!
It was delicious!
I am such a carnivore -- MEAT. IS. MY. FAVOURITE!
This book is phenomenal and such a great collection of recipes and meaty information (see what I did there?!),
Cannot wait to get this into my kitchen when a hard copy is available to purchase in December.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my complimentary ARC in exchange for an honest review. Please excuse my tardiness in posting my review as my TBR list continuously grows and I keep finding so many book with so little time!

So much gratitude for this copy shared with me, always xo
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* interesting read, ive never read any cookbooks or otherwise based on meat-based(?) Meals but if i have the chance i will read the original "carnivore code". Not sure i would use the recipes enough to buy this book for myself but this book does have some GREAT looking/sounding recipes 😍
Stunning cover…I have heard of this style of eating but this was my first time actually reading through the instructive process of the carnivore code.

What did I like? If you haven’t been informed of what the carnivore code is then don’t worry. The doctor starts out explaining what it is and how it helped him. This is a complete one eighty given all the information plant diets have thrown at us the last twenty years.  Most of use would balk at using chicken heads or feet to make bone broth. We are definitely not our grandparents generation. The more evolved we become the more sensitive we become toward animals. I agree though that if your following the code then use the whole animal.

Would I recommend or buy? I can almost acknowledge the doctor’s point when it comes to the carnivores code. I ate this way growing up and was never overweight. It takes a dedication to eat this way and care about how the animals are treated as well. I found it to be an interesting look and would definitely buy a copy. I look forward to trying out his podcast as well. Five stars!

I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review.
This book was received as an ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - Mariner Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was waiting for a book like this to be released. Like my husband and I, we eat a lot of meat and we have read so many health articles about the dangers of saturated fat but then we have read books like the Wild Diet and in order to burn fat you need to eat fat and that is the similar mindset Dr. Paul Saladino has through the Carnivore Core Cookbook and a lot of the meats presented in this cookbook we eat as part of our regular diet and that gave me such a rush of relief. The first thing I look for in all of the cookbooks I preview is pictures of the recipes and whether they are easy to make. Not only were these recipes easy but they look absolutely delicious that my husband and I will definitely enjoy! I can definitely see this book being a potential candidate for a future cooking demo and I know our library community will definitely enjoy it.

We will consider adding this title to our TX Non-Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
Written by a medical doctor who has suffered with chronic illness and has discovered the combative secret lies within our grasp in the carnivorous lifestyle, this book is much more than a cookbook.  Though I love to eat meat, some aspects of this diet itself are new to me, especially the information about toxins in nuts and vegetables.  In a way it is difficult to get my mind around it...many vegetables are touted as the perfect food, engrained in our psyche.  Though I did know that nightshades are inflammatory.

Lifestyle changes can seem daunting at first.  My own diet is ketogenic due to autoimmune diseases with some success.  But the author of this book has given me a lot to contemplate.  As he says himself, his goal is not conversion but to tell his story and what works for him from a scientific perspective.  Science is up my alley so the first portion of the book really fascinated me.  He goes on to discuss the "true ancestral diet" including his adventures living with the Hadza tribe in Tanzania.  He describes the principles of the carnivore code and details what is included...animals organs, meat and eggs (and even honey!) and what can be made from them.  The metabolic dysfunction section interested me especially.  So did the section on the ethics of meat eating.  Saladino also lists what to avoid according to toxicity levels.  He highlights the benefits to each of the organs.  My dad was a big game hunter and fisherman and we made our own butter as we lived on a farm with many animals for food.  This book reminds me of that.  I'm also a forager so appreciate the lovely recipes featuring berries in particular like Blackberry-Mint Compote.  Honey features in many recipes here such as One-Pan Honey-Glazed Brisket with Celeriac, Squash and Apricots.  Mmmm!

Before reviewing culinary books I like to try a few recipes.  Those I made (and enjoyed!) included the Easy Sweet Pickled Carrots (I'm always looking for uses for fish sauce!), Supercharged Popsicles (phenomenal!) and Rosemary-Lemon Roasted Lamb Leg with Pear Chutney (I adore anything with pear),   Amongst others I am itching to make Sweet and Sour Duck Legs, The Real Meat-Lover's Pizza (intriguing crust) and Alaskan Ice Cream with a secret ingredient.

Even if you are not planning to switch to the carnivore "diet", this book is interesting and contains gorgeous recipes and photographs.  It really gave me a lot to think about.

My sincere thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for the privilege of reading (and salivating over!) this delectable book.
Part 1 is a bit boring but nonetheless important to the cause of this book. Part 2 is where the party starts! I suggest you read this on a full stomach or have some good food on standby because this book is sure to work up your appetite.
This will probably be a big hit with those who follow carnivore diets. I didn't really understand the need for so much of the book to rehash what the diet is, though. The first third of the book goes over the reasoning behind eating an all-meat or all-animal products diet. The author has already written that book (The Carnivore Code) and I think most people who do not eat this way will not be convinced by the overly long intro (I wasn't). When we finally get to the recipe section, there are lots of them. Some use only meat while others use other animal products like eggs, honey and kefir. He also uses small amounts of things like fruits sometimes (he says he himself doesn't eat all carnivore most of the time though he says it is healthier), but he warns about the dangers of vegetables. 🙄

The layout of the cookbook section is large and pleasing to the eye. There are not many photos of the recipes, though, which is a disappointment in a cookbook. There are actually more photos of live animals (always in Utopian looking happy scenes) than of the recipes made with them, which is a little odd. I agree that the meat you eat should be raised humanely on pastured land with real foods they eat, though I don't know how many people who follow this lifestyle could afford to eat 100% animal products 100% of the time that are raised this way. And it is certainly a strange juxtaposition, seeing the author smiling by darling piglets and then reading all the ways to eat them. To his credit, he advocates using the whole animal so the recipes also involve things like chicken heads in your bone broth.

This is the first time I've ever seen a recipe that uses bone marrow as the main ingredient in a frosting, and I can't see myself ever becoming the kind of person to eat that way. That said, if that's your thing, this will be a good source of recipes. Nutritional information is provided for each recipe, though not of things like fiber (which I assume the author doesn't believe in the merits of).

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book via NetGalley.
While this way of eating won’t work for my family, I feel very knowledgeable on the way of eating after reading this book. Loads of information and recipes to help you get started. The pictures make you want to lick the book they are so yummy looking. Some of the ingredients won’t be at your local store but worth looking for.
This is not just a basic cook book. It has information about carnivore diet and it isn't for everyone. I'm not one of them. It will be very usefull for someone that is interested for in depth information.

I received a free copy for my honest review.
Let me start by saying, I was already  familiar with Saladino's philosophies and science as I have followed his podcasts, and others on similar topics, for several years. I also already eat a diet similar to what he is espousing, so the buy in for me to be interested in his book was fairly low as I am already familiar with it.

I found man of the recipes to be interesting and doable. Some of the ingredients were beyond my ability to acquire, but the techniques are not too challenging. However I still found much of this book somewhat frustrating. When I buy a cookbook I would prefer most of it to be a cookbook. The structure here relies very heavily on the reader having spent the time to read and process the scientifically heavy first half before getting to the recipes. If a person is planning to eat a carnivore diet, they have likely done much of this research already or would be willing to read about it in it's own book and then get a cookbook.

Additionally, I felt it would have been more helpful to provide the reader with ways to modify current habits or what to shop for in traditional grocery stores to make this accessible to the most people. Rather, it felt as though the reader is being told they have to specialty shop, or better yet abandon the Western world altogether so they can eat nose-to-tail in rural farming communities.

Many of the recipes are doable and quite tasty. They don't require myriad ingredients and frequently only require the meat, some butter or other fat and salt. It might be beneficial to consider adding something to the recipes for adapting them for more convenient cooking, such as with a crockpot or pressure cooker.
Have read The Carnivore Code and have been hesitant to go that route out of fear of boredom. This was a huge deciding factor!! Even though I am not a total carnivore yet, these recipes were varied enough to keep my interest going forward. Am anxious for a print copy for myself as well as my library. Thank you for the opportunity to preview this!!
A fascinating insight into the benefits of a predominantly aminal-based diet (meat and eggs) with a bit of fruit and honey added for balance. While the scientific community accepts evidence for meat eating by early humans, they are more sceptical about restrcting modern diet to exclude most plants. The author, nevertheless, sets out an argument based on plant toxicity and diets of primitive societies.

I value the fact that the author uses only environmentally sustainable meat, and also that he advocates eating the entire animal, including the organs (nose to tail)., which helps offset meat's carbon footprint.

The recipes are unlike I've ever seen, with pizza made entirely of animal products - that's real meat lover's pizza for you! You can also cook flank steak in a lime-cilantro marinade, a 2-ingredient brisket, carnivore bread, tongue, and of course liver.

Overall, a good addition to your cook book collection.
This book was far to indepth for me as it went more into medical terminology and didn't real have information in lay terms for those of us who want information on healthy ways to eat but don't want to read a text book.

The recipes were okay but not my kind of cooking.
"The essential companion to the best-selling The Carnivore Code, featuring more than 100 delicious recipes to help readers reap the incredible benefits of an animal-based diet."

Honestly, I'm in mixed minds about this book. In its physical form, it's probably going to be a thick one. It has a lot of content. So, if you're into this theme, it will be a great read. However, I think my main concern is that I was put off from this book from the start. It has a lot of info, graphs, research, charts, pictures, recipes... one of my biggest turn offs I think was the pictures of the animals before the meat? I mean I know it's the reality but it's just kinda... not good for me (and no I am not against eating meat).

I am not going to knock points off for that -- my personal inclinations or disinclinations. Instead, this is about the book and its content and its execution thereof. I think it is an excellently put together book with high quality photographs. It is packed with information and obviously the author has put together a lot of research into this "carnivore code". Personally would I get this for my collection? Probably not. Would it be something interesting to read or to suggest to someone that falls into this hobby/interest? Yes.

Thank you for the chance to read through this in exchange for honest feedback.
I requested this book for the recipes but half of the book is explaining about the carnivore diet (rich in meat and animal organs). Some of the recipes do look delicious but there isn't many photos and I skipped the animal organs recipes. I was expecting this book to have a lot of different meat recipes (there are great ones) but it's mostly about the diet/lifestyle. I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review
Such a great way to expand creativity in the kitchen while on the Carnivore diet.  Recipes are must tries for anyone currently on the diet.  Loved it!
This book goes into depth with the carnivore code.  It gives you the science behind it; what to eat what not to eat.  It goes into great detail about the benefits of eating a carnivore diet.  The carnivore diet is rich in meat and animal organs.  They eat plants selectively.  We have been reading the benefits of broccoli and cauliflower.  In this book they are considered toxic.  This is an entirely different way to eat.  It gives you lists of how to stock your kitchen with equipment and foods to be successful with the carnivore diet.  There are recipes ranging from making your own bone broth to making carnivore bread.  Everything you will need to have a complete carnivore diet.