Cover Image: Buzz Books 2021: Romance

Buzz Books 2021: Romance

Can’t wait to read these books coming up. It’s a pleasure to see what’s coming up in advance of their release.
I do love these Buzz Books excerpts, it's a great way to find new authors you may not have heard of.  Not everything is to my taste, but I always find one or two authors or books that I hadn't heard of and want to read.  This time I want to read the Lana Harper book, 'Payback's a Witch', a new author to me.  And Kat Martin's 'The Last Goodnight' sounds a good read.  She's been on my TBR pile for a while, so I definitely need to read one of her books now!
Always love seeing what’s coming up next from buzz books. Looks like we’ve got another great season ahead of us!
I absolutely adored getting a glimpse at some of my anticipated romance reads for this year. I can’t wait to start adding some to my preorders!
Buzz Books 2021 : Romance contains a wide variety. Something for everyone. I found 2 books in the volume that I definitely want to try. The rest, although not to my taste, will find a wide readership.
Another great selection of Romance books in this edition of Buzz Books Romance.  Some interesting authors and titles and fingers crossed I will enjoy some of these books.
Thanks to NetGalley and Publishers Lunch for the chance to read this book! I always enjoy the chance to see what's going on in mainstream publishing and romance trends.

A LETTER TO THREE WTICHES by Elizabeth Bass was so over-the-top, the first chapter is from the point of view of a villainous cat. Much too "wacky hijinks" for my taste.

AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER by Therese Beharrie is still magical with an interesting approach--the heroine has romantic dreams that write themselves down as books, and the cover copy tells us the hero will share those dreams--as well as discussion of the foster system and mental health. On paper it seemed interesting, but the banter between our heroine Gaia and her best friend's brother Jacob didn't really grab me.

THE WILDEST RIDE by Marcella Bell starts out with quite the setup -- the heroine's grandfather took out a reverse mortgage without telling anyone, spent down the million dollars, died, and left his wife and granddaughter to clean up the mess when the bank came knocking. It really strains credulity, and the hard-headedness of the heroine as well as the folksy sayings weren't pulling me in either. We don't get the hero's point of view yet; I'd be interested in seeing his motivation since this seems to be a rivals-to-lovers romance.

PAYBACK'S A WITCH by Lana Harper really could use some more excerpt; in the first chapter we learn about the background of the town, Thistle Grove, and this big tournament that occurs every fifty years. But not much happens in terms of plot, except that the heroine returns to her childhood home and exposition ensues. I would have loved to see more of the setup that the cover copy promises.

THE LOVE HYPOTHESIS by Ali Hazelwood wins points from me for acknowledging how rough academia is, but lost me at wearing expired contacts out of cheapness (at least lampshade it with something like "I need contacts over glasses because I'm peering in microscopes all day") and REALLY lost me at the completely over-the-top inciting incident of kissing a random man without his consent who just happens to be a professor when you're a grad student? Grad student and professor just squicks me out even if it seems like she has never had him as a teacher. Anyway, the frenetic neurotic voice was kind of fun but the story setup and overall awkward vibe is a big no for me.

I'M SO (NOT) OVER YOU by Kosoko Jackson has major rom com vibes, completely with an endearingly neurotic protagonist and an extremely tropey setup -- fake dating with a twist, fake reconciliation! This sounds cute in cover copy but as I was reading I just had inner alarm bells wondering why they broke up in the first place and whether this was not just bad but a dangerous idea (I mean, rom-com so I'm sure it's actually fine).

NEVER BEEN KISSED by Timothy Janovsky ALSO had major rom com vibes, and this one won me over even if I was horrified to realize the protagonist and friends were college seniors (I guess this means I'm old). Wren had a really engaging voice and I was snagged by the opening page, and even laughed in a few places. Plus I loved the knowing reference in the cover copy, "he sends emails to all the boys he (ahem) loved before he came out." This is definitely one book I'd love to read.

I honestly skimmed THE LAST GOODNIGHT by Kat Martin because romantic thriller with murdered women and possible serial killer is way too intense for me.

THE MATZAH BALL by Jean Meltzer has a really fun setup, a Jewish woman with a secret passion for writing Christmas romance novels and living in the Hallmark-esque fantasy vision of the holiday. There are a lot of Jewish cultural references I didn't get, but that just makes me more intrigued to learn more.

LOCKDOWN ON LONDON LANE by Beth Reekles was an odd choice to wrap up the series; this is very specifically a pandemic book. I was going to say it felt outdated but I guess I can't really say that given UK has been much more strictly locked down for much longer than I experienced.

A mixed bag as always -- here I am excited to read NEVER BEEN KISSED, and would give THE MATZAH BALL, I'M SO (NOT) OVER YOU, and AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER a try depending on buzz from others. Thanks again to Buzz Books for putting out these little samplers for us!
I love these samplers! I was excited about this one because it focuses on less high-profile books. About half of these are now on my TBR.
I absolutely loved reading through this preview of what's to come and am especially excited about Never Been Kissed! I cannot waiiiiit to be able to read on past those first two chapters. I need to know what happens!
As expected, the newest collection of upcoming books from Buzz Books is amazing. I only wish there were a little bit more books. Can't wait for the next one to come out.
I always look forward to a new issue of Buzz Books, and the romance edition is my favorite.  It’s a great way to learn about upcoming releases.  There are many great books coming out and I am really looking forward to a few of them.  I am most drawn to The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer, The Last Goodnight by Kat Martin and A Letter to Three Witches by Elizabeth Bass.  I can’t wait to read them!
Love this and always anticipate Buzz Books since I discovered them last year!

I fund a ton of romances I look forward to and even some I would never pick up had I not read the chapter excerpts so a big thank you for that and diversifying and expanding our reading horizons!
I love these. It’s a great way to see what’s up and coming. Also a great way to find an author you might have missed otherwise:
I was disappointed in this buzz romance sampler. I only found one book I'd want to request. This had many quirky romances highlighted, instead of some mainstream ones.
As always, Buzz Books Romance gets me so excited for upcoming releases and lets me know what titles I'm going to need to be on the lookout for in terms of featuring on my blog, reviewing, and recommending.
I love these chapter samplers! They help me figure out which books I need to request and look forward to!
Whilst Romance is not necessarily a genre I read much from, nevertheless I could not resist having a peek at this.  Buzz books does such a tremendous service in giving the reviewer a terrific selection of great books to tempt.  As usual, as expected there were romance books that I will definitely be reading.  Many thanks.
I look forward to this sampler of upcoming books each year.  My personal favorites this time were And They Lived Happily Ever After (Therese Beharrie), Payback's a Witch (Lana Harper), The Love Hypothesis (Ali Hazelwood), and The Matzo Ball (Jean Meltzer).  It's a wonderful way to find new books to read.
Thank you so much for the separate launch of new books this year. My hopeless romantic heart is very excited for the new releases.
Love these roundups for sampling new titles I wouldn’t have come across or reminding me of new books from authors I love!