Cover Image: The Arctic Curry Club

The Arctic Curry Club

Thank you to the author, Avon Books UK and NetGalley, for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The cover and the blurb led me to expect a light-hearted chicklit read, skimming by issues of belonging and identity that are a siren song to me. Instead, I got a novel with depth, exploring the said issues but also family trauma, mental illness - which was well-written - and an empowering arc of a woman finding her feet and losing her fear of taking on life. The author obviously did her research on life in the Arctic, which added an interesting layer to the mix and really took it to the next level in terms of the heroine being cast adrift in foreign territory. Character development was good, although there were some "stereotype" moments. All in all, a great read and hard to believe this is a debut - I look forward to reading more from this author.
This was an ok read, didn’t hit the spot as I thought it would. Maybe my Christmas reads are exhausted for this year. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
0Maya Reed-Kaur moves to Longyearbyen with her boyfriend Ryan, who is starting a research job in the Arctic. Maya is quite an anxious person, and quickly discovers this decision wasn't the best choice for her, as she struggles with the cold and long, dark days. When she visits India for a family event, she discovers memories and parts of her she's not accessed before - leading her to make some brave life choices in her new home.

Before picking this up, I had an inkling I'd enjoy it, being set in an area I know well, but I also fully thought this was going to be a chick-lit type festive read. And it surprised me! It's so much more, going into a lot of depth with mental health, as well as the glorious descriptions of the meals Maya made and the travel elements of the story. It was very clear that the author was writing from experience (or has superb research skills) and that was the star of the show for me. I really enjoyed the writing and was engaged with it from the start; I felt it offered a fresh perspective. It was easy to guess what was going to happen with each of the plot points, but that really didn't make it less enjoyable. A nice escapist read with the added bonus of an accurate description of what it's like to live with anxiety - educational!
Also special mention for the cover, beautiful colours and super cute, and eye catching.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read and review.

Oh this was such a great book! Maya suffers from panic attacks and anxiety, yet still follows her boyfriend Ryan to the Arctic. We get to see how Maya uncovers secrets from her past, including details surrounding her youth living in India and the death of her mother. This book was pure joy to read - and Maya was definitely a character to fall in love with as she grows and develops into the person she truly is.
A beautiful, uplifting book with. Gorgeous setting.  Maya was a relatable and likeable main character. Her  story  took me on a wonderful journey.  Would recommend (4 ⭐️).
Maya suffers from chronic anxiety.  It is so bad that there are lots of things that she does not do just in case it all goes wrong.  She has no memory of her previous life in India before her mother died, only of when she and her father came to England.
When her boyfriend of two years, Ryan, gets, the opportunity to work in the Artic, she goes with him, knowing that he supports her in her needs.
However, the winter darkness and extreme toll take their toll on her and some days she doesn't leave the flat.
When her father tells her he is going to live in India, and is going to marry a friend of her mother, she is flabbergasted.
She goes to India alone, as Ryan cannot get time off of work, and spends time with her Dad and  Ume, her Step Mum to be.
She has been introduced to recipes from her mother's cookbook and they start to invoke forgotten memories when she eats them.  However when she speaks to her Dad about these memories he appears reluctant to discuss them.  She overhears a conversation between and Uma and realises that there is more to it.
Over the course of her trip to India, her calls to Ryan seem increasing abrupt and when she returns home she discovers why..  She has decisions to make in all aspects of her life.  Does she shrink away again or does she take the Polar Bear by the jaws and take charge of her life?
This is a very nice book and I really enjoyed reading it.  Some bits you can predict, but others are a nice surprise.
After a couple of false starts I've finally read this and it was a delight. The setting of the Arctic made me want to snuggle deeper into my bed as I was reading, and the descriptions of the food made me drool! The characters were all relatable and watching Maya uncover family secrets and processing them was emotional. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC for an exchange for an honest review.

Little gem of a book, Highly recommend it.
This was a cute read. Maya follows her boyfriend to the Arctic but struggles. After returning from a trip to India, she discovers some harsh realities, about both Ryan and her mother. I like how she started making a life for herself and not living on the periphery of everyone else. The dinner party with the surprise guest  was one of the best scenes. Her heartbreaking loss was almost too much to bear, but I like how she recreated the precious loss. Be chill and read about cuisine in the cold.
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to follow and work out who was who and what was going on. Would recommend.
From its cover you might expect a cosy Christmassy story but this certainly isn't one. It deals with family difficulties, betrayal and mental illness. Having said that, it's beautifully written, with strongly developed characters and some unexpected plot twists. The description of Longyearbyen on the Island of Spitsbergen, Norway is just how I remember it: freezing cold, isolated, lots of huskies but with welcoming people. Maya's love of cookery and her journey to find out more about her family history and why she has anxiety attacks make for a great read, though I found her frequent swearing annoying.
I read this book both as an ebook and as an audiobook, and I loved both!

There's so much more to it than the blurb and the cover led me to think, and it has been a completely enjoyable and pleasurable surprise. It is definitely not a rom-com, it's actually very low on the rom side. The author decides to focus on anxiety, loss and bereavement, so we follow Maya through her journey through all of that and her successful arrival on the other side, all set in beautiful descriptions of magical landscapes and tasty recipes.

I loved Maya, I could totally relate to her and her struggles, she's so real, and the author was great in relating her story with a very delicate touch. Then I loved the food, OMG, I was hungry all the time while reading it, I suggest you make sure you have snacks close by.

Finally I even loved the arctic and, even though I hate cold temperatures, this book made me wish to travel there one of these days!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for both an ARC and an ALC for an honest review.
When Maya’s boyfriend Ryan moves to the Arctic for work, she comes along for the ride, only to find herself half frozen most of the time with extreme anxiety and a boyfriend who is acting suspiciously.  She welcomes the opportunity to escape to her Dad’s wedding in India where she learns more about her mother and fantastic recipes. Little does Maya know that when she returns to the Arctic her life is about to change for good…

I really enjoyed the Artic Curry Club! I love it when a book surprises me and this one certainly did - it wasn’t that book I thought it was when I read the blurb - it was different but even better than I imagined. I really appreciated the authentic portrayal of life with anxiety, as someone who has experienced it.  Maya is a fantastic character who I warmed to really quickly. She is very relatable and funny. The transformation she undergoes in the story is perfect, with an ending that is spot on.
In fact, every character in the book is well written and interesting and very likeable, with the obvious exception of feckless Ryan!
The plot is expertly crafted with lots of different storylines which keep you reading on to see what happens next.  Not only that it’s a foodie’s dream with mouthwatering descriptions of the recipes Maya makes and the memories they invoke. Yes, if definitely made me want a curry.

I would certainly recommend this book to my book group and the fellow bookworms in my life. It’s a fantastic read,  especially over the winter when the frosts hit and you  can close your eyes and imagine you are in the Artic with Maya.

Thank you so much Dani Redd, Avon publishing and Netgalley for the opportunity to review an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Maya and her boyfriend  Ryan move to the Arctic for his job.
Maya, suffering from anxiety finds it a very hard  place to be, from 24 hour darkness, to the threat of polar bears. But she does find the love of cooking rekindled and starts to cook for Arctic expeditions.
In India her father is about to marry one of her mother's friends. May doesn't remember much about her mum as she died when Maya was 8. As she flies back to India, she starts to have flash backs to her childhood. All the flashbacks seem to have links to the food she is cooking or eating.
We follow the story of false memories, lies and love. And lots of curry!
The Arctic Curry Club - Dani Redd

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Soon after upending her life to accompany her boyfriend Ryan to the Arctic, Maya realises it’s not all Northern Lights and husky sleigh rides. Instead, she’s facing sub-zero temperatures, 24-hour darkness, crippling anxiety – and a distant boyfriend as a result.

In her loneliest moment, Maya opens her late mother’s recipe book and cooks Indian food for the first time. Through this, her confidence unexpectedly grows – she makes friends, secures a job as a chef, and life in the Arctic no longer freezes her with fear.

This is an accomplished debut novel with brilliant descriptions of the Arctic in the winter. I really enjoyed Maya's growth through this book as she goes on a journey of self-discovery - remembering memories that she had 'forgotten'. Dani has dealt with mental health in a sensitive and respectful manner.

Even on a busy evening this book had the ability to distract me - it is cosy and comforting. There is so much to digest about this book that I can see it being a book club pick for the upcoming year.

Rating: 4/5
This read was as heartwarming, layered and full of depth, and spicy as you would expect any great curry to taste!

“For my whole life I had been looking for home. But why would that be in a place that I’d left? Perhaps I had to keep moving forward in order to find it.”

Redd writes to explore what happens when we rely on another’s dream to make us happy rather than seeking out our own. She also highlights mental illness, the difficulty some have in finding a sense of belonging, the stress of a parent dying and another re-marrying, narcissism and toxic relationships. On the surface this is a light book about a girl who cooks her mom’s recipes to help her survive, but it’s so much more than that.

You’ll read about Maya who struggles to fit in wherever she finds herself; India, England, or the Arctic! The author gently brings Maya to a place where she becomes aware of the causes of her anxiety and depression and allows readers to watch as she slowly builds herself up and gains control of her mental illness. The vivid descriptions of the arctic add to readers’ understanding of what Maya is facing. I was ever aware of the isolation, darkness and cold. What a juxtaposition against Maya’s culture; warmth and brightness mixed with exotic and spicy aromas. The best part for me was when Maya returned to the Arctic after the family wedding. I felt like I could cheer her on and was interested in her new adventure.

This is a difficult read on an empty stomach! Keep your local Indian restaurant on speed-dial as you read this one.

This sensitively penned debut about finding where you truly belong is one you’ll want to add to your winter reading list!

Publishes December 9, 2021.

I was gifted this advance copy by Dani Redd, Avon Books UK, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
I enjoyed this read, it was a refreshing change to have an ‘easy’ novel focusing so directly on mental health and past trauma.   I liked the storyline and format,  and would  recommend. 4 stars.
After virtually meeting Dani at the Avon showcase I was really looking forward to this one! I have been reading A LOT of Christmas fiction recently for the purposes of reviewing and so this had a lot to live up to and unfortunately this didn't do it for me. I'm not sure whether it was the writing style I didn't gel with or the characters that I felt lacked any warmth or depth
Maya follows Ryan to his dream job in the artic circle studying polar bears! Yes, it's cold, very cold. I'm sure I could feel it through the descriptions of the area & the weather. Things do not go as planned & Maya has to make soe drastic changes to her life. Maya suffers from severe anxiety after loosing her mother in India when she was a young child. During a trip to India to be at the wedding of her dad & Uma, a friend of her parents from the past, so many memories begin to appear & not all good.
I did enjoy this Anglo India story. It was good to see how Maya developed as a character through the book. So many great characters in this book who brought the story to life. I'm sure I could smell the meals that Maya cooked. Enjoy!
THE ARTIC CURRY CLUB - DANI REDD
PUBLISHED BY AVON UK
4.5⭐
PLOT -
Maya follows her BF Ryan to the Artic but on reaching in the midst of winter she encounters sub zero temperatures, 24 hr darkness and anxiety episodes and a distant BF.
In her loneliest moment Maya opens her late mother's recipe book and cooks Indian food for the first time and her confidence grows, she gets a job as chef and life in Artic starts feeling better.
But Maya will have to face her past in order to make a future for herself in this new town.

MY THOUGHTS -
I am a big advocate of associating mental health illnesses in books and the author in her debut book has done a good job esp  using Food as the medium.
The highlight in this book is the mention and recipes of Indian food and how Artic and Indian food is combined for a fusion cusine is commendable.
A lot of people help Maya to overcome her anxiety in various ways and these side characters are great too!!
Thank you Netgalley and Publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.