Cover Image: On That Day

On That Day

This book is a detailed timeline of events that happened on a single day, with some references to previous days and years.  I don't think that there is anything here that if you have read enough about 9/11 that would be critically new, minus some fine-grain details.  The 9/11 report is pretty comprehensive itself.  If you are looking for a detailed play by play so to speak, this book is great.  However, I found it a bit much.  There are a few recent works, and undoubtedly more to come in the future, about 9/11.  If you are wanting to know exactly what was going on with a certain person, this book would be the go-to.
Date reviewed/posted: May 20, 2021
Publication date: August 17, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

After two decades, numerous reports, memoirs and commissions, the definitive story of how the US government struggled to react to the attacks on 9/11 is yet to be told -- until now.

9/11 was a unique challenge to the USA, a threat from a “rogue actor” that caught the nation utterly unprepared. William Arkin, veteran military and security analyst and commentator has reconstructed the minute-by-minute narrative of the day as the nation’s airlines, air control systems, military, air force and the central government went from a state of absolute confusion and stunned disbelief until they rallied and began to coordinate the largest shut-down of the US from all outsiders. It was a day of absolute heroism and terrible errors, of heartbreaking final messages and incoherent orders, of misunderstandings and brilliant improvisations. It will change the way you see some of the protagonists of that exceptional, terrible day.

Above all, revisiting the intimate details of the day allows Arkin to ask and answer some vital questions: What did we learn from 9/11?  And are we any more likely to be ready if something like it ever happened again?

20 years after the facts, we all need to remember what happened - it seems that it is no longer on people's minds outside of NYC or those who lost loved ones. This is a searing telling of that day, minute by minute and I was utterly enthralled and angry and upset at the whole event as it unfolded minute by minute in the book. I watched friends DIE as the tower collapsed...that is nothing I will ever forget!  I will highly recommend this book to friends, family, patrons and book clubs as it is imperative to remember what happened and to stop it from happening again.