Cover Image: Manga Artists Copic Marker Coloring Techniques

Manga Artists Copic Marker Coloring Techniques

“Manga Artists’ Copic Marker Coloring Techniques” is a one stop shop for artists who are new or even advanced with using alcohol markers! Though this book is Copic specific, I found all of the tips and techniques to be useful with other brands of alcohol markers too!

This book covers the basic coloring methods, manga artist techniques (hair, skin, face, background, nature, clothes, etc), fixing your mistakes, and growing your alcohol marker skills! I really enjoyed how they labeled the specific color Copics that are used in each example drawing! Another favorite is how the showed different techniques of using the colorless blender - you can use it to add texture in your art!

Highly recommend for beginners to advanced alcohol marker artists!

This book gives nice tips to artists, who are new and experienced, on how to hone their skills using Copic markers. I really like the visual examples of this art book. Even though this book does target manga artists thr techniques can be applied to anything you create using Copic markers. It's very helpful for beginners so I highly recommend checking it out.

I recieved this as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. thank you netgalley !

I can’t access the book. I had high hopes, but if I can’t see it, I can’t actually review it. It would be great to be able to see the books approved.

I'm just starting my art journey and I'm picking up all types of craft books to try and get a feel for different techniques and products. I've seen a lot of artists on Instagram using copic markers, so when I saw a book about how to use them I jumped on it! While I don't have any copic markers yet, this book will definitely come in handy when I do get them! It was full of tips that are super helpful for beginners.

I've always been amazed at the coloring abilities of Copic markers, in the hands of artists. This book gives tips to take those interested in learning how to hone their skills from basic to great to incredible with cool techniques! I appreciate the visual instructions in this book. While this book is targeting Manga artists, the techniques are able to be applied to anything you create with Copic markers, including greeting cards, coloring books, and other artistic disciplines.

Are you interested in using Copic markers to take you art to the next level? Learn all about Copic marker coloring techniques from professional manga artists who know all the tricks of the trade!

Really informative and helpful.

Great resource. My daughter loves to draw, so I wanted to see what this one was. I will definitely be buying a copy for a Christmas gift.

Good basics. Teaches colour theory and how to blend copics in popular manga colouring styles. Each segment demonstrates different aspects like skin, tears/sweat, clothes with the copic numbers used so the reader can recreate the exact demo.

This is an awesome book! So for anyone who just happened to buy copic markers and are doing art on the side this is an amazing book to get a deeper understanding of your art tools, the copic marker ends have a letter and number series which I just thought to be a color series but it actually has meaning! It may be a more quick read than other books but this book provides colorful examples followed with detailed tips and instructions to get the vibrancy you’re looking for and later in the book the author gets further into showing off details and getting that glossy finish on parts of clothing, the illustration is beautiful, the author makes the subject inviting, and I’m excited to practice!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the free e-ARC.

This was a wonderful introduction to the world of Copic Marker techniques, specifically for Manga artists. The techniques are well described with photos showing the technique in action. There is much to be learned in this guide.

I am a very, very, newbie ‘artist’ and I only really use pencils. I’ve seen Copic markers and I know they’re very expensive so I wanted to understand what makes them special. This book is a great introduction to Copic Markers and what you can do with them.

As a newbie, I found the early discussions about colour, use of colour, blending and how to use the markers quite fascinating. This is a real skill and it was interesting to see how experts achieve their effects. There is a lot here to absorb and I will definitely revisit this book.

Now I’m thinking I might buy a couple of the markers and see what I can do with a few of the examples. This is real artistic skill and the book showcases that perfectly.

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley

This book was very insightful into the world of copic markers. Copics are great and the book does a great job in covering the best blending techniques and how to get a good outcome with the markers. Recommend for anyone wanting to sharpen up their skills using copics in relation to manga and character design.
Thankyou net galley

A very usable book about learning how to color your drawings. Basic techniques are well explained with illustrated step by step instructions. Also various artists show how they color their work and which colors they were using. Lots of tips and techniques are also usable with other painting media. Of course it looks different. But the focus is on understanding how to color and that's the point. Mixing colors, layering, making corrections, even tips about digitizing your artwork are included. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to color their drawings in an easy to understand way.

This book teaches you everything you need to know about Copic markers. It starts with identifying the characteristics and names of the parts of the markers to instructing the reader on how to identify the colors by the number system on the marker lids. The author goes on to the basics of shading, coloring, blending, etc, and then he takes you through numerous demonstrations on how to do certain coloring techniques common in manga coloring. However, these techniques are also useful for other areas as well such as card making. Each example has a color picture for each step of the process. The authors did an excellent job of putting so much information in one book! It's a great resource book to have, and a must for beginners!

I actually was thoroughly impressed with this book! I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but everything included was so detailed- methods on applying, mixing, blending, layering colors were all efficiently broken down.
Things I loved:
-Color System break down
-Tips for achieving desired outcomes
-Tips on fixing mistakes

I liked that there were different sections- it wasn't just a clump of information to overload you- the first section is an intro to the markers themselves, best tools/supplies to get the MOST out of the markers and then there is the section on how the markers relate to Manga and techniques/tips/tricks commonly used. I think that it is SUPER helpful that a lot of the instructions include the EXACT marker color# for each little blurb so that it can be recreated by the reader.

The FAQ section at the end added even MORE information that could be beneficial - a Q&A that answers commonly asked questions, references on how to transfer these techniques and pieces to a digital form and even a pattern library to inspire the reader to challenge themselves with trying out the techniques using their creativity.

Very well done and informative book, even if you're not planning on being a Manga artist I think this is a really helpful tool!

I actually use Copic markers, these pens are easy to use and lay color nicely. Although the pens are pricey compared to other alcohol pens, however, unlike other brands, the pens are refillable. The first chapter covers mainly two of the four different types and tips.
From the beginning, the topic of ‘How to Color Evenly' is the most important technique to learn. I have had an issue with filling in large spaces without the area becoming streaky. The step by step methods make even the most beginner into an expert. The tips blurb could be used on their own without the step by step lesson. I enjoyed ‘How to color eyes’, eyes by themselves can be difficult, even for the experienced colorist.
Chapter three, ‘Fixing Mistakes and Growing Your Skills’, I would never have thought to cut out the area that has been smeared. The book wraps up with a Q and A featured by illustrators Suzu Kawana and Ramiru Kirisaki. Kawana gives the most useful advice, “Buying a set of colors can also help you discover your preferences”. In other words, it is not necessary to sink $100 to enjoy the benefits of the Copic marker, I buy one marker every couple of weeks. One question asked to the illustrator is how to not add duplicates to your collection. Copic has a handy app to keep track, which the illustrator noted.
Overall, the book is useful and well written by covering the markers and coloring Manga. I’ve stayed away from Manga, because I've not been sure how to do the images justice.
Thank you Shin, Yue, Mariru, Junko Kilamura, Suzu Kawana, Ramiru Kirisaki, Zakka Workshop, and NetGalley for the privilege of reviewing the interesting book. I've written an honest review.

Absolutely great. I always wanted to learn how to use markers and this book was really a useful guide. I found it really ispiring.

I was absolutely unfamiliar with copic markers before picking up this book. While I don't typically work on manga, this book gave so much information on how to use copic markers that I think it would make a great reference for any illustrator or artist, not just those who are working on manga specifically.

tl;dr Not a bad book for getting to know alcohol based markers, definitely inspiring with lots of fun art, though I wish more care was put into the explanations and demonstrations included.

I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Not tl;dr:

This book immediately caught my attention due to the artwork on the cover. I've been a fan of spicaboy (Suzu Kawana) for a while now, and I was excited to check out a book with alcohol marker tips from them.

Important note that is not mentioned in this book: these tips can work for any brand of alcohol based markers, not just Copic. Don't feel pressured to buy the most expensive (and overpriced imo) brand on the market when the cheaper alternatives work perfectly fine.

Another important note that wasn't mentioned in this book: this book leans heavily on exact colors, but please know you don't need the exact markers they use! So many other colors that are close enough can get you almost the exact same results, or you can change things up based on what you have. Don't get trapped feeling like you can't draw just because you have a different brand or color marker. <3

I really liked the introduction and how the medium is initially taught. I think they did a great job putting that section together, and I imagine it helps make the medium feel less intimidating to beginners. The layout and design of the book seems very approachable and well organized too.

I like that this book doesn't strictly have a "do this, not that" mentality to it. While it does initially say what is a more popular technique, they acknowledge that you can break the rules and create great art any way you want. Having a section on fixing mistakes with a variety of options was also fantastic to see, definitely very helpful for beginners!

I also appreciate that this book offers a variety of artists to see how they all work with these markers. You can capture a wide range of styles and looks with these markers, so I think it was smart not to focus on just one artist.

They do give quite a few recommendations for skin tones, but it was a shame to see that all of the demonstrations were of lighter skinned characters. It would've been nice to see some of their darker complexions put into action.

I wish the book was organized a little differently though, or at least planned out more in advanced. Things felt a bit strung together a bit haphazardly. And I felt like the descriptions of the techniques done by the various artists were rather lacking. I'm more experienced with alcohol markers, so the reasoning behind decisions, or observing their techniques wasn't difficult for me, but I imagine for beginners, the demonstrations might be more inspiring rather than actually educational.

I recall reading one section in particular, "Shading for Shape" which seemed to try to teach shading the face with different lighting, and keeping the form of the face in mind, but didn't have a great example to demonstrate that, and the explanations given were confusing even to me, and I've been doing art for well over a decade now.

I think this book could've benefited with more planning ahead to get specific with what demonstrations or tutorials they were going to include. It did feel rather mish-mashed, and the explanations under the process images weren't super helpful. Considering that the opening of this book was clearly aimed at artists who have never used these markers before, the demonstrations I don't think are helpful. There is no building of information.

That said, I can see how this book could be fun to read though, I know my younger self would've still loved this book regardless. It is inspiring and motivating to see the artwork, it does get you in the mood to draw and have fun with these markers. But as a more experienced artist now, with some experience teaching others how to draw under my belt too, I have a more critical eye when reading, and I do wish they approached this book differently.

I'm still feeling generous with the rating though, since I think for the target market, even if the explanations and demos aren't the most effective, I think the excitement younger artists would get out of this could make it worth picking up. :) Just try not to get too intimidated and have fun with it!

So i looked though this book and honestly its very good. very detailed and really well made. loved it. 5 star book.
thanks to netgalley i was able to review this book. sadly i knew all that was in this book but it shows what i was trying to tell my friend so most likey ill be sending her the book links for this book. if i had a physically copy of this book then id pass it to her because it has alot of good information.