Cover Image: The Steal

The Steal

Really enjoyed the setting—so old school Hollywood! The characters were compelling and fun. It was like a bubble bath soak to the past along with a nice glass of champagne. And the jewelry was delicious. A fast-paced read and can’t wait for it to continue.
🐆𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗹𝗼𝘁
-Ania Thorne is a wealthy American heiress who has just taken over running her family’s world-renown jewelry company.

-Ania is staying at the famous Carlton Hotel with millions of dollars of her exquisite one-of-the-kind jewelry to outfit Hollywood’s most glamourous stars for the Cannes Film Festival.

- After the collection is stolen in a brazen robbery, Jerome Curtis is hired to investigate the theft.

-Jerome, captivated by the beautiful Ania, teams up with her to find the jewels he believes has been stolen by the notorious jewel thief known as “the Panther.”

𝗜 𝗧𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁
-I love catching old Hollywood films on Sunday afternoons, and, at 135 pages, this novella can quickly fill an afternoon with some 1950’s glamour.

-It’s hard not to compare this book to the 1957 film, To Catch a Thief, which I assume the story is loosely based upon since the woman on the cover looks exactly like the late Grace Kelly. I felt the characters of Ania and Jerome did not have the natural wit and chemistry as Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, and while it may not be fair to compare them to the film couple, the suggestion of the film may also be the big draw to pick up the book.

-This book could easily become an entertaining mystery series. Pick up this entertaining book for a fun, snappy caper that mixes mystery and romance!
This short and fun novel was such a refreshing book! It reminded me a lot of Ocean’s 8. It had a lot of mystery and some romance. I really hope there’s more in this series!

Synopsis
They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend—until they’re stolen. Ania Throne is devoted to her jewelry company. The daughter of one of the world’s most famous jewelers, she arrives in Cannes with a stunning new collection. But a shocking theft by the notorious thief known as the Leopard throws her into upheaval—and plunges her on an unexpected hunt that challenges everything she believes. Jerome Curtis thinks he’s seen it all, especially when it comes to crime. Until he’s hired to investigate the loss of Ania Thorne’s collection, his every skill put to the test as he chases after a mysterious master-mind responsible for some of the costliest heists in history—and finds himself in a tangled web with a woman he really shouldn’t fall in love with. From the fabled Carlton Hotel to the elegant boulevards of Paris, Ania and Jerome must race against time to catch a thief before the thief catches them. With everything on the line, can they solve the steal or will the steal take more than diamonds from them?
Cannes and Paris! The rich and famous! Jewelry heists! Intriguing escapades! This fun novella had me at the cover, so like Grace Kelly in Hitchcock’s To Catch a Thief. And the story captivated from the start. A wonderful diversion!

5 of 5 Stars

Thanks to the authors, Blue Box Press, AuthorBuzz, and NetGalley for the review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

#TheSteal #NetGalley
Designer Ania Thorne has brought a selection of jewelry to Cannes for film stars to wear at the film festival. When they are stolen, the insurance company sends Jerome Curtis to investigate and he quickly determines it was the work of the Leopard, who he has been tracking for years. He convinces Ania to try to entrap the Leopard in Paris, where his plan goes horribly awry.

Disgusted and disturbed, Ania flees to her native Manhattan to disprove Jerome's suggestion that the Leopard is someone she knows and trusts. The ending is not fully resolved, suggesting the book may be the first in a series.

There is so much about this book that I'm a fan of--mid-century historical, beautiful settings, strong female protagonist. Unfortunately, this fell a little flat. Jerome was too stereotypically hard-boiled, plus his incessant smoking, even if historically accurate, was off-putting. Perhaps the authors need to work out their collaboration, because it has tremendous potential, even if it is very reminiscent of To Catch a Thief. Looking forward to a second book with some kinks ironed out. #TheSteal #NetGalley
Ania Thorne, 28, has been a jewelry designer for 9 years now.  She trained under her father, Virgil, and has now taken over the jewelry company from him.  The year is 1957.

Ania has arrived in Cannes for the annual film festival. Her assistants are attacked with chloroform and the pieces they had brought with for the show were stolen.  Their insurance company, Lambert Security, has sent in Jerome Curtis to lead the investigation.  They believe that it’s an old thief known as The Leopard that is behind the theft.

Ania is a tough and sophisticated woman and she and Jerome work together to find out what happened and how to protect more jewelry that is being secreted in to help replace the stolen jewelry to be used during the festival.

The two of them head from Cannes to her apartment in Paris and from there, back to the family home in New York.  They end up finding out who the thief is.  Now, you must read the book and find out for yourself.

This book appealed to me because I lived in Paris for many years and all of the descriptions and places mentioned in the book are “home” for me.  If you like to read about the opulence of this beautiful country and New York, you will love this short read.  I think you will also like the inevitable relationship between the rumpled investigator and the sophisticated woman.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
There were so many reasons for me to love this book. I read everything C.W writes so it was a must from the getgo. This book is co-authored by MJ Rose and it is told from the perspective of the detective and the woman he is trying to help. I imagine CW wrote the male part and MJ the female lead because the voices were different from one another. The story is all about a jewel heist and the Jermone character is trying to solve who stole the jewels that Ania had designed. The whole book reads like a 1950s who-dun-it old radio show. Specifically, this book reminds me of Johnny Dollar and I often imagined Bob Bailey speaking for the Jerome character.

All in all, I thought this was brilliantly done and hope for this to become a series.
Thank you for the advanced copy. As excited as I was for this book, it was not my favorite. The setting and mystery were great but the characters were hard to empathize with.
The Steal was an intriguing short whodunit mystery. When the jewels of one of the worlds top jewelers are stolen at the most important event of the year, insurance inspector Jerome Curtis is put to work trying to discover who stole the jewels. Through a series of exciting events, Jerome and the jewelry owner, Ania Thorne, find the thief, and maybe even a little bit more.

I thought this book was short but sweet. The plot moved along well, and you really got the sense of the time period and class level you’re reading about. I thought that the authors made a great story, one that you could get through in a sitting and leave feeling like you didn’t waste your time.

Additionally, I thought the characters were likable. Generally, I do not like the “rich woman” character, like Ania. However, she was very well written and as relatable as a very wealthy woman can be. The few plot twists dealing with the characters were also ones that made them more likable.

Overall, I thought this was a sweet read, and I would definitely recommend.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book, but I loved the cover and description so decided to read it.
I was pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed it!  I was hooked from the beginning and read it straight through.  It’s set in the 1950s, and I liked the period details. Strong writing, interesting plot, 4 stars.

Ania Thorne took over the family jewelry company from her father.  She’s in Cannes for the film festival, and she’s carrying custom made jewelry for the stars.  Despite the precautions, she is robbed.  The
investigator from the insurance company, Jerome, a former WWII soldier, believes the Leopard is responsible.  They set a trap, but aren’t sure how to catch him and how to get the jewelry back.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Ania Thorne is at the Cannes film festival and planning to make a splash with her custom jewelry when she is robbed. She is working on Plan B to keep her celebrity clients happy when insurance investigator Jerome Curtis shows up. Jerome is convinced this is the work of a famous jewel thief called the Leopard. Ania has already ordered more jewels from New York and she and Jerome travel to Paris to meet the plane. Jerome is convinced Ania is in danger, and they pull a few swift moved to remove the jewels from their cases and put in a suitcase to try to bring the Leopard out of hiding. The plot twists and turns and ends in New York where the Leopard is found. This was a fun (and short) novella, but I had a few issues. First, the story was too short to develop any real chemistry from the characters. Outside of adrenaline, I don’t understand them sleeping together. Two, I feel like outside the mentions of the war and the 50s movie stars, this is a modern story. The way the characters acted, traveled, etc, is not 1950s.
This book gave me vibes of 50s Hollywood, Audrey Hepburn on the back of a Vespa, Cary Grant being all smouldering and sophisticated.

What i didn't know was that it was a novella - which is OK - or that it was the first in a series and ended on a cliffhanger - again, ok with me just unexpected.

Ania and jerome's story had us jetsetting from the glitz and glamour of Canne, across continents, and  across boundaries

The Steal is a mystery with a hint of romance along for the ride.

I am looking forward to the next installment when it hits our kindles.
France 1957. The Cannes Film Festival all that is glittering, fashionable and very in is there. Jeremy is also there in his capacity as  an insurance agent.

Ania Thorne carrying on the legacy of her father the diamond merchant of impeccable taste and design now forced to retire and she has ably taken over. She did not envisage a robbery of all her priceless pieces in Paris of all places.

The setting of an impossibly well planned robbery meticulously arranged and to Jerome bears all the hallmarks of the infamous Leopard  who has never been sighted. The story follows the diamonds and Jerome always one step ahead of the Leopard trying to outsmart him  with the rest of the diamond pieces brought over for those that were robbed.

The ultimate unveiling was a bit unbelievable but the story was fast paced and entertaining.
A gem of a novella!
This story was short and sweet- my only complaint is that I would have happily read more! While described as a romantic caper, it is a bit of a genre blender with a suspenseful mystery at the core of the plot. There was good tension between the lead characters and a clear villain. I hope we learn more about all three of these characters in the planned future works. Another thing which I appreciated was that this novella was filled with style and fashion- from leopard print gloves for the thief to luscious descriptions of designer jewelry and 1950’s clothing, including Paris couture. There was a strong classic movie vibe so if you like classic movies, especially those set in the 50’s, then you should pick this one up right away.
The Steal by M.J. Rise & C.W. Gortner
takes place in 1957 France as jewelry designer Aina has her latest collection stolen. Jerome's firm is hired to find the jewels and the thief. As he investigates it seems the infamous thief the Leopard is the culprit but soon it's clear he had help from inside.

With chases and romps through Cannes and Paris Jerome starts to fall for Aina. He admires her fortitude as a strong single working woman in a male dominated field. At first she sees him as a rumpled bungling investigator but there is a discerning charm to him.  I envisioned Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant in this romantic caper that's perfect for a quick fun read.

I received a free copy of this book from the publishers via #Netgalley for fair and honest reviews. All opinions are my own.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I found the characters well developed and the chemistry between them quite interesting. Ania is a famous jeweler, CEO of her own company after her father was taken out of control by the board.  He taught her everything he knew. While in Cannes for the film festival all the jewels she brought with her are stolen.  Enter Jerome, who is an investigator for her insurance company. He has a very interesting back story. He is convinced that the thief was someone he has been chasing for years, only known as The Leopard. In this case, there are none of the signatures the Leopard has used in the past. However, Jerome has a gut feeling that he is correct. I enjoyed the relationship between these characters. It was a fairly quick read. I know that this is a stand-alone, but I would love to see a sequel to this book.
This story was more lighthearted and romance-y than my usual reads, but it was a fun one (jewel thief + Cannes + Paris + hot investigator + hot jewel lady), and I really enjoyed it. I especially loved picturing Ania’s clothes and what the jewelry looked like. The ending was a bit abrupt, so it seems like a sequel is in order!
I was completely captivated from the very beginning when the stunning jewelry is stolen before The Cannes Film Festival begins in 1957 and the designer and insurance company representative seek to catch a thief. I loved the instant attraction and off-the-charts chemistry between Ania Thorne and Jerome Curtis as they try to find the Leopard in this fast-paced romantic caper. This is the first book I have read by CW Gortner and MJ Rose but hope to read more by this talented duo., I received an advance reader copy of "The Steal" from the publisher via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
novella, historical-fiction, theft, adventure, mystery, 1950s, international-crime-and-mystery, no-gratuitous-erotica, romantic, jewelry-artist, investigators*****

She came to the film festival to loan her fantastic jewelry creations to the movie stars of the day and promote the business she inherited from her father. He is an investigator for the insurance company and has trailed the jewel thief before. Fast paced and engaging! Loved it!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Blue Box Press, AuthorBuzz via NetGalley. Thank you!
Interesting novella, fun and entertaining.
I wasn't a fun of the end as I don't like cliffhanger but liked the story and the characters. I will read the next book in this series
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine