Cover Image: The Steal

The Steal

This story reads like one of those classic movies that the AMC plays for their late night movie marathons. It has the glitz, the glamour, the mystery, a sprinkle of romance plus a few ~very minor~ celebrity cameos. And honestly, what more could you need?

This story is short, so I will keep my review the same. If you're looking for a book that makes solving a jewel heist not only exciting, but also super romantic, then do yourself a favor and pick this one up. The writing is SO vivid, it really transports you directly into the story. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of classic movies or cozy mysteries should give this book a try.

While this story was super fun, it only clocked in at about 140 pages it just felt so LONG to me. It's definitely a book that requires all of your attention, which given the synopsis and length I wasn't expecting. This was fun but unfortunately it wasn't for me.
The Steal by C.W. Gortner and M.J. Rose is a fun historical mystery.  I felt like I was thrown back in time and on the set of To Catch a Thief.  Set in Cannes, Paris and New York City, The Steal is truly a story of international intrigue.

The fast-pace plot is perfect, and the stoic, strong war vets making their way as private investigators and security specialists and a willowy, smart blonde make for sexy, suave characters.  The novella is a quick fun read that ends with not a cliff-hanger but room for a story continuance.
While I have read and enjoyed many of CW Gortner's books, I have not ready any of MJ Rose's.  I was looking for a light, summer read, mystery.  Since many reviews include an overview of the book, I will omit that here.

The book is written from the two points of view, Jerome and Ania's.  This back and forth kept my interest and did not feel like a ping pong match.  Unfortunately, the overall plot was weak and the writing very basic.  Neither character was interesting nor developed enough to support the plot.  The story did fulfill the quick, summer read I was looking for.  I hope that Gortner returns to the historical fiction that I have enjoyed.

I rounded up my 2.5 rating.

Thank you, NetGalley, the authors and publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for honest feedback.
When jewelry designer Ania Thorne has all the pieces she designed for the 1957 Cannes film festival stolen, she knows that Thorne and Co's business is on the line. Jerome Curtis is asked to look into the situation by the jeweler's insurance company. Reputations are at stake. Can Jerome and Ania stop The Leopard before the thief strikes again?

The book's cover caught my attention and set the vibe for the story. It reminded me of a Cary Grant movie. This was a quick read taking the reader through France to London. The book is written in dual point of view, alternating between Jerome and Ania. They made a good pair in crime-solving with a bit of an opposites attract romance. The book ended a bit abruptly but this is book one and I look forward to seeing what Jerome and Ania do next on their way to catch the thief. Thank you to the publisher, Let's Talk Books Promo and Netgalley for my ecopy of this book.
A mystery story set in 1950's France with a bit of Romance. Ania Throne is a Jewelry designer and Director of Throne and Company.  She is at the Cannes film festival when disaster strikes and her Jewels get stolen which are worth millions of dollars and can mean the end to her company if not recovered.  The Insurance Company sends Jerome Curtis to investigate the crime and he soon discovers this is the handy work of the Leopard who has eluded him numerous times before.  This will become a race against time as they try to capture the Leopard and recover the Jewels as they travel between Cannes, Paris, and NY.  Will they be able to recover the Jewels and capture the thief or does fate have something else in store for them.

I enjoyed reading the book.  A quick read and the who did it was easy to figure it out.  That is why I gave it 3 stars.   I was surprised at the ending as I was expecting the book to end with a solution but it is left open with an option for a second book if they choose.  I hope they do as I want to know what happens.  The writing is great as you feel you are in the hotel listening to the sounds of Paris and the music playing.  I would recommend this book.
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley and am voluntarily posting a review.
This is a fun historical romantic mystery in the style of a 1950s-noir caper. It’s fast-paced and engaging, keeping me guessing. The prose also has a period feel to it, without sacrificing reader comprehension.
However, I can’t say the characters made that big of an impression, and it was a bit too short and the ending too abrupt.
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

Set in the 1950’s this is a throwback to the type of book written “for women” in the 70’s. At least that was my feeling.

Priceless jewelry has been stolen before the Cannes Film Festival is set to begin and the rich and famous are ready to wear the jewels. This story takes place in all the high end areas you expect. Besides Cannes there is Paris and NYC. And the race is on with Ania and Jerome to find the jewels before time runs out.

What I found most interesting about this book was the writing. I am used to the writing of MJ Rose but have not read anything by CW Gortner. Each author seemed to take the role of one character, Rose with Ania and Gortner with Jerome. Each gives us a history into their lives up until the present. However, I certainly enjoyed Rose’s chapters more than Gortner’s. Gortner seemed to get stuck on certain phrases that were repeated way too often.

This book was an interesting combination of the 1970’s and 2020’s.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Though it was a quick read, it took a while for me to get into the book. The premise of The Steal is fun and exciting, but for me it did not deliver on that excitement. The pace felt jarring-it dragged in the beginning, picked up in the middle, and then ended in somewhat of a cliff hanger. It seemed like too much time was given to more mundane details and the characters behaviors were not congruent with what was laid out beforehand. I don’t think this is a book I would read again, nor would I choose to continue reading the series.

I received an ARC courtesy of NetGalley. The opinions are my own.
#TheSteal
#CWGortner and #MJRose
#BookTour

This read was so refreshing, such fun, lighthearted with a very #yesteryear feel to it. That’s what sealed it for me.

The year is 1957 and the backdrop, the rich and famous at the #CannesFilmFestival and then in the #arrondissments of Paris, #TheSteal steals your heart as a romantic caper.

The read was fun, it was short and it brought alive the vibe of the Cary Grant - Grace Kelly film, ‘To Catch a Thief’ ( Hitchcock)

The Steal was neatly told with the right amount of trusts and romance to make you smile and turn the page. The end is a cliffhanger of sorts and was perfect  to kick off the series. I’m awaiting Book 2 where our protagonists chase down the Leopard.

Thank you @letstalkbookspromo, @netgalley and @mjroseauthor for an advance digital copy and a spot on the book tour.

#TheSteal is scheduled to be published on August 10, 2021 and I wish it much success.

Pure entertainment, you’ll love it if you’re into old time Hollywood movies.

QOTD: Who is your favorite actor/actress from the old times?

My heart beats for Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.

Synopsis
They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend—until they’re stolen.

Ania Throne is devoted to her jewelry company. The daughter of one of the world’s most famous jewelers, she arrives in Cannes with a stunning new collection. But a shocking theft by the notorious thief known as the Leopard throws her into upheaval—and plunges her on an unexpected hunt that challenges everything she believes.

Jerome Curtis thinks he’s seen it all, especially when it comes to crime. Until he’s hired to investigate the loss of Ania Thorne’s collection, his every skill put to the test as he chases after a mysterious master-mind responsible for some of the costliest heists in history—and finds himself in a tangled web with a woman he really shouldn’t fall in love with.

From the fabled Carlton Hotel to the elegant boulevards of Paris, Ania and Jerome must race against time to catch a thief before the thief catches them. With everything on the line, can they solve the steal or will the steal take more than diamonds from them?

Set in the late 1950s, THE STEAL is a romantic caper by bestselling authors C.W. Gortner and M.J. Rose..
The Steal felt a lot like a historical-fiction, romance and suspense novel. The story is set so perfectly in 1950’s New York, Cannes, and Paris.  Ania, the daughter of a prominent jeweler, finds herself caught up in a world-wind chase to catch the jewelry thief and recover the stolen jewelry. Ania and investigator Jerome Curtis work together to catch the thief. What really made this a fun read for me is how it seemed reminiscent of the old 1960’s television series, To Catch A Thief, which was inspired by the 1955 Hitchcock directed movie. And just as those were respectively, a great movie and a fun television series, The Steal is also entertaining, fun and a fast-moving story.
The Steal by M.J. Rose and C.W. Gortner.
The story is a light, short, entertaining beginning to a new series by two authors of primarily historical novels. I have previously enjoyed their other works and while this one is a bit different for them both, it was also good.
I have a couple of complaints about the cover. It is too bad that Ania is depicted as pretty much a clone of Grace Kelly because several people have mentioned the film To Catch a Thief with Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. Although this book begins on the Riviera, most of it does not occur there and the male main character is not a gymnastic cat burglar. The other thing about the cover is the man on the motorcycle is wearing a suit and in the story, that does not occur. My last gripe is that there is a mention of a piece of jewelry from the estate of the late Duchess of Windsor who did not die until 1986 so unless there is time travel, that is not possible.
After all that complaining, I found it a quick, fun, sexy read and I will give the next one a try.
'The Steal' by M.J. Rose and C.W. Gortner is a mystery with a touch of romance. This book wasn't long and time consuming at all and I promptly read it in one sitting. There's never a boring moment in the entire book, as the authors twisted the story with brilliance. And the ending, it was my favorite part, the twist at the end was something I didn't expect (I couldn't guess who's behind the heist until the very end, not before the clues became clearer). The characters are very well written and I could almost imagine how the protagonists were.

The story is set in 1950's France, specifically, the international and prestigious Cannes Film Festival. Jerome Curtis, an investigator for a renowned insurance company, Lambert Securities, is sent to investigate a high-profile jewelry heist at The Carlton while the Cannes Film Festival is about to begin. Jerome's mission is to assess the situation, gather as much information as he can, uncover the truth and retrieve the stolen jewelry. The stolen pieces are iconic and priceless, and belongs to one of their most important clients, Thorne and Company.

When he arrives at The Carlton, he meets Ania Thorne, the Director of Thorne and Company. Ania is magnetic, poised and flawless, and rightfully so. The more you'll read about Ania, the more you'll like her. The book's told from two perspectives, Jerome and Ania. And I loved how the chapters went back and forth between them, weaving a perfect story.
A historical fiction set in France. This was a great beginning or introduction to the series which I hope will be good. I hope the upcoming books will live up to my expectation. Because I liked this book. It was also a very quick read, more like a novella. The dual POV also gave insight perspectives of both protagonist. I loved it.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an early copu.
A book set in Cannes and Paris during 1957 will always capture my eye. Especially when it’s penned by one of my favorite historical fiction authors, C.W. Gortner! And I’m just discovering M.J. Rose.

This is a short, fun book to kick off a new series and Im here for it. To me, this book is a great set-up for a longer series where our protagonists chase down the Leopard. And I’m looking forward to discovering the stories behind some of the side characters introduced in this one.
France, 1957 the setting for The Steal gives this story not just a vintage feel but also a romantic exotic one. M.J. Rose and C.W. Gortner have given the readers a story reminiscence of the movie, “To Catch a Thief” with an updated romance between the two main characters. Jerome Curtis who works for Lambert Securities comes to Paris to investigate a high profile jewel heist. Failure to recover the stolen gems is not an option. Anya Thorne is the jewelry designer and CEO of the company, from which the jewels were stolen is determined to catch the thief too. Their plan, chase and romance is classic.

Told from a dual perspective giving insight into each of the main characters, their past, their present and somewhat their dreams for the future. Anya’s especially is at risk because the robbery could ruin the family company. Not easy to like this is a woman in a business world dominated by men in the 1950’s. The authors did a wonderful job portraying her in this role.

Also the jewel thief, Leopard is as intriguing as he is mysterious and dangerous. A quick escapism read that ends with some unasked questions. More to come. I will be on the hopeful lookout.

An ARC of the book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley which I voluntarily chose to read and reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
France, the 1950's and a jewell heist in Cannes - this is the allure of The Steal.  A short, quick story that throws the reader into the fray, with a socialite and a insurance investigator, when millions of dollars of custom jewelry are stolen.

The Steal is a mystery and a romance.  And, the authors have done nice job in pairing the two together as detectives and lovers.  This caper sparkles like a diamond.

Thank you to Lets Talk Book Promo and the authors for a complimentary copy.

#letstalkthesteal #thesteal #letstalkbookspromo
A cute and quick read about a jewelry heist I’m gone wrong and the people involved. I feel like lately I’ve been getting to the end of books and being confused because it’s not the end of the story. I liked both of the authors writing styles, but I feel like it ended quite abruptly

Thank you to net galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion
Fairly short story-a mystery set in the 1950’s with some romance thrown in. Not really my cup of tea but for those who like this genre, it will probably be well liked. The writing was well done, I just didn’t connect with any of the characters or get involved in the story.
Ania is involved in her family business, the business her father created and she has been part of all her life. Creating exquisite jewelry and providing famous people like Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren with the jewels for events. On the night of the Cannes Film Festival, the entire collection that she brought with her for the actresses gets stolen and Jerome, a professional investigator for the insurance company comes to try and find out what has happened in order to catch the robber, who he believes to be a serial thief known as “The Lepord” aim he process, he gets feelings for Ania, and has to put them aside to maintain professionalism as they go on the hunt that leads much to close to home. The ending sets up for the next book.
Thanks to Blue Box Press and Netgalley for this Arc in exchange for my review.
This past year I read two books by C.W. Gortner ,The Romanov Empress, and M.J. Rose's The Last Tiara and enjoyed both of them, so when NetGalley and Blue Box Press offered me The Steal, a collaboration between the authors, I was all in. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. The book will be released August 10.

The Steal is a quick read, more like a novella than a full-length novel. Things move fast with the plot, too. The setting is practically Cannes one day, Paris the next, and New York the third. The plot keeps moving along with both Ania, the jeweler, and Jerome, the insurance investigator’s points of view.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and the pacing, and while I have no need for them personally, imagining hundreds of thousands of dollars of jewels in intricate designs was fun. Jerome is sort of a stereotypical detective, of scruffy face and schlumpy dress, ala Columbo, but he’s a lot younger and handsome in his scruffiness. He eludes to a dark past, which is revealed in time.

I was a little disappointed in the depiction of Ania as an icy woman who’d never had a proper man show her a good time. Sparks fly between her and Jerome, and you know it’s just a matter of time before they get together. What surprised me was how quickly they got together. Like I said, things move FAST in The Steal. And things get a bit graphic, for those that don’t like that in their romantic mysteries.

As Jerome and Ania try to avoid the Leopard, the famous jewel thief who’s never been caught but seems to have a vendetta against Ania’s company in particular. Jerome figures it has something to do with his shady past post-WWII as someone in covert ops hunting down Nazis because the guard Ania employs happens to be one of his old army buddies. The Leopard knows who they are and what they’ve done.

Jerome and Ania close in on the elusive thief, and just when you think the story is about to wrap up, it just ENDS! Looking into it, it appears this is the first in a series of caper books about The Leopard. Apparently Gortner and Rose enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock’s To Catch a Thief as much as me because this book reminds me of it. Even the cover features a woman who looks suspiciously like Grace Kelly. That being said, I will continue with the series to get to know Ania and Jerome a little better.
Set during Cannes Film Festival in France 1957, The Steal follows the story of Jerome Curtis who works as an insurance investigator for Lambert Securities, and Ania Thorne, the director of Thorne & Company, a jewelry company.

Ania designed jewelleries for actresses attending the film festival. But they were stolen in broad daylight and Jerome immediately suspects The Leopard, a ruthless robber and murderer. Now both of them must retrieve the jewelleries and stop The Leopard before the news break out about the robbery which will ruin the company's reputation.

This is an entertaining and thrilling book and I think it was a well-done one. Although a romance caper, I  felt it leans more towards mystery which I really liked! The plot twists were interesting and I enjoyed the banter between Ania and Jerome. It is a short book that is not lacking in suspense. It is engaging with a good story flow.

In a nutshell, an entertaining quick read and whodunit story!

Pub. Date: Aug 10th, 2021

***Thank you Blue Box Press, authors C. W. Gortner, M. J. Rose and NetGalley for this gifted review copy to read and review.***