Cover Image: The Steal

The Steal

This book reminded me of an old black and white  movie mystery.  It was a quick book with a few surprises. I don’t think I was quite ready for it to end.  I enjoyed this book.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy
A charming read, with well-developed characters and a great sense of time and place. The insight into the relationship between jewelers and movie stars was a clever place to start, and the growing sexual attraction between the two protagonists was carried off very well.
This is set to be a classic romantic caper and begins as so. However, the characters felt a little off for me. To be specific would ruin the mystery but there were elements that just felt unbelievable. Not my sort of book, all in all, made worse by the ending not having a resolution that is satisfying. It's a two out of five for me on the enJOYment scale.

Content warning: it does include graphic sex scenes and foul language.
The mystery/romance story set in 1957, France, Cannes film festival, is told by Jerome and Ania.

Jerome Curtis works for, insurance firm, Lambert Securities.
Ania Thorne is the director of his father's company (Thorne and Company) and designs jewelry. She designed the jewels for Cannes and has been robbed. This made the actresses furious and put Ania in a difficult situation.
This was a time that Jerome came to investigate from the insurance company. He saw his old friend of war who works for Ania in a very unexpected situation.
"In war, friendship is a luxury that’s less important than loyalty to your fellow soldier. It’s life or death, not happy hour at the bar after a bad day at work. In war, it’s never happy hour. It’s always a bad day at work."

Leopard, a jewelry robber is a very dangerous man, a thief, and a murderer. Jerome and Ania make a plan to catch him.

A short and quick story that you are in the middle of it from the first page. The story moves along knowing the characters. Well written, and easy to follow. I liked the end and very interesting if the story continues that way.

"I'm in awe of the stones. I bow to them. Respect them. Adore them. I fall in love with every stone I work with." me too. :)
"Every Gem contains a bit of magic."

Thanks to Netgalley, I have given an honest review of The Steal by M.J. Rose and C.W. Gortner.
Published Date 10 Aug 2021
My review on 09 Jul 2021
Super quick read. I enjoyed the characters and concept of this story. Very Noir! I was a little confused at the abrupt ending.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
Very enjoyable and highly entertaining! The love that each author has for beauty and art shines through in the descriptions of the jewelry.
After jewelry stolen at Cannes show, insurance detective Jerome clashes with jewelry owner, Ania.

Book written from each of their perspectives.

Not strong enough mystery to really put it in this category.   Not enough romance for that category.

The ending did surprise me.

Overall it was just an ok real that I would not recommend
France, 1957. Jerome Curtis works for Lambert Securities, one of the world’s largest insurance firms, and is in Cannes from London on a special assignment. Specifically, he’s here during the Cannes film festival, and the jeweler, who is a very important client, has been robbed for millions of dollars.

Ania Thorne is the company’s director and the soul of the company, designing jewelry for famous clientele. She’s been designing the Thorne and Company collections since she was nineteen, and apprenticed under Cartier before joining her father’s company as lead designer. This theft is bringing her bad publicity and the amount of money invested in the stolen jewelry could bankrupt the company and diminish her father’s legacy.

Jerome investigates the characteristics of the whole operation and there is only one who leaves such trademarks: fast, efficient, executed to perfection, all witnesses left alive. That’s Leopard’s signature stunts.

The Carlton is one of the most respected establishments in Cannes, where guests value their privacy and hotel’s discretion. Was there a breach in not hiring security guards?

After questioning Ania’s security guard and personal assistant - the only one who caught a glimpse of the rubber - Jerome very quickly recognizes some breaches. He is pretty certain that someone close to Ania likely gave the rubber the codes. This is not just a high-profile theft, but also the opportunity for international press and scandal. Who would aim for that?

Jerome sees a lot of beautiful things in his job, but when he sees Ania, he is enchanted by her magnetic air and the aura, and her blue-grey eyes, almost jewel-like themselves. What Ania sees across from her is quite a different picture. She sees his x-ray eyes, rumpled suit, and cheap pine pomade. While making themselves acquainted, Ania receives requested salad at the hotel, but it is accompanied by a stolen necklace and a note. Who else is involved?

Jerome is observant, good at deducing scenarios, and quick in thinking, but this theft puts his every skill into test. Ania is an accomplished woman who had to make her way in man’s world. She is a talented jewelry designer and a savvy businesswoman, but what comes next challenges everything she believes. The interesting characters add the flavorful layers to the story. Some mystery of past secrets and the twists and turns keep you on high alert. In this race every minute counts, taking them from Cannes to Paris and NYC, making this plot-driven story fast-paced.

This short romantic caper is fun and quick to read.

Review originally posted at mysteryandsuspense.com
Jerome Curtis is a former solder with deep secrets, currently working for Lambert Securities an Insurance firm.   Ania Thorne is the CEO of her fathers world famous jewelry company after he was ousted by the board of directors. After a thief stole jewelry that was made for the International Movie Festival  Jerome Curtis is on the case to find the thief known as the Leopard. This is where the journey begins and  truth comes out from all the hidden secrets. Will the jewelry be found or does Ania have to admit defeat and try to repair her family’s name?

This was an enjoyable “ who done it “ read. Very well written and I look forward to reading future books by C.W. Gortner and M. J. Rose.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Ania who comes from a long line of jewelers asks Jerome fir assistance when some jewelry goes missing. Jerome encounters more hurdles in his investigation. This was a quick read.
Annia Thorne, a hugely influential supplier of gems to the stars, has her collection stolen. Jerome Curtis, an employee of her insurance company, investigates.
Who doesn’t love a jewellery heist story? Ania and Jerome have alternate chapters, each of which is written in the first person. It’s like a literacy game of tennis and it is a fascinating idea, giving the reader an insight into the thinking of both characters.
I loved it when the action was in the Cannes hotel. So beautifully detailed, it was like one of the movie stars that it was housing. Occasional name-dropping of Miss Taylor and Miss Hepburn gave this hotel and book, that extra bit of Hollywood class.
The story moves along at a cracking pace, the characters are interestingly complex and yet the story is easy to follow. So well written, the words almost seemed to rise from the page, demanding to be read.
I loved it! My only quibble is the ending. No spoilers, but I was a little under-whelmed. I understand why it was done, the story must continue! I hope the follow-up book is hot on the heels of this delightful story. I intend to be right at the head of the reading queue.
Thanks to NetGalley and Blue Box Press for providing me with an Advance Reader's Copy in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
This novella set in the 195os is an absolute delight. The story centers around a jewelry heist and is told in alternating chapters by Jerome Curtis, insurance investigator, and Ania Thorne, head of a jewelry company and also their main designer. The authors nail the setting and atmosphere of the book, and the dialogue feels absolutely right for the time period. Jerome and Ania team up to try to catch the thief who has stolen Ania's priceless creations, and their search takes them from Cannes to Paris to New York. Two small quibbles: I would have liked more lead-up in the characters' romance; it felt like they went from zero to sixty in the space of one page. And second, I wish I'd realized this wasn't a standalone, as the ending is abrupt and gives no closure. Bring on book two, whenever it may appear! Thank you to Blue Box Press, C.W. Gortner & M.J. Rose, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Thanks to Gallery Books and NetGalley for giving me an opportunity to read an advanced digital copy of THE STEAL.

The cover is misleading with a drawing of Grace Kelly in TO CATCH A THIEF, which was filmed near Cannes.

The story centers around the Film Festival in Cannes.  It does not make sense that the only jewelry company that has NOT been robbed would get burglarized after years in business.  The ending did not make sense to me.

Maybe I am too picky here.

Sorry to say this novel was not my cup of tea.  Maybe the book would appeal to other people.
This was a nice quick beach read by way of "To Catch a Thief". It was the cover that drew me in as I am a huge fan of the aforementioned movie, and that looked like a Grace Kelly cover right there. It didn't quite meet my expectations, but that's a classic not much can touch. That being said this was a short fun and fast-paced read. Most of it takes place over a couple of days as a Jewelry designer/heiress finds herself teaming up with a rough shod insurance investigator after the majority of her collection is stolen (possibly by a notorious thief "the leopard"). **Thank you to NetGalley and Blue Box Press for my eARC in exchange for an honest review!**

The plot had all the right ingredients, a great setting/location (the Cote d'azur, Paris) and a nice mid-century vibe, danger and mystery....but it missed the mark for me when it came to the characters matching the time period, especially Ania, she felt wayyyy too modern, both in her actions and the way she spoke (and her thoughts) so it kept taking me out of that 50s/60s vibe and straight into current day. Jerome was a little better with more of a Philip Marlowe noir vibe, but even he slipped in and out of feeling too modern. Also of note for potential readers, this must be a part 1 of a series (Im hoping?), because its definitely a bit of a cliffhanger/to be continued sort of ending.

All that being said, still a fun quick summer read and would recommend to readers who like mid century settings, and caper heist stories, good for those with short attention spans or who are looking for a good vacation read.
The book definitely captures the spirit of the great 1950s romantic mystery films with the hardboiled male lead and the icy princess heroine who may or may not need to be rescued (and who may or may not be able to be trusted) and the larger than life thief who is always three steps ahead in the game. For me, this was a fun caper until the end which was abrupt and seems to be setting up a series? I would have preferred another 30 pages to just have a good tale done with, to be honest; or if it's not the start of the series, it was a very unsatisfying ending.
"They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend - until they’re stolen. Ania Throne is devoted to her jewelry company. The daughter of one of the world’s most famous jewelers, she arrives in Cannes with a stunning new collection. But a shocking theft by the notorious thief known as the Leopard throws her into upheaval - and plunges her on an unexpected hunt that challenges everything she believes.Jerome Curtis thinks he’s seen it all, especially when it comes to crime. Until he’s hired to investigate the loss of Ania Thorne’s collection, his every skill put to the test as he chases after a mysterious master-mind responsible for some of the costliest heists in history - and finds himself in a tangled web with a woman he really shouldn’t fall in love with.From the fabled Carlton Hotel to the elegant boulevards of Paris, Ania and Jerome must race against time to catch a thief before the thief catches them. With everything on the line, can they solve the steal or will the steal take more than diamonds from them? Set in the late 1950s, The Steal is a romantic caper by bestselling authors C.W. Gortner and M.J. Rose."

August always needs a good Hitchcock To Catch a Thief vibe!
When a fortune in jewels is stolen from the Carlton hotel in Cannes Jerome Curtis is brought in by the insurance company to try and find the jewels. Ania Thorne is trying to restore the reputation of her family jewelry company and will do whatever it takes. Together they are trying to figure out the crime before something else happens but is it already to late?
A good suspense mystery with a slight romance.
About a jewels heist and the owner and insurance agent goes on the hunt to find the jewels and thief. An unexpected  surprise
Voluntarily reviewed.
The cliffhangers are so perfect that it is difficult to put the book down. The well titled book "the steal" will steal your attention from everyday life and got you trapped. This first book of a promising series is perfect for escapism. The "atmosphere" of different towns, the complexity of the characters, and the originality of the plot are huge pleasers. Reading such a good novel resulting from the conjugated talents of two brilliant authors is fun and the standard of the story telling is excellent.
All opinions are mine, i received a copy from NetGalley.
A quick and excellent read! At first glance I thought it was an old Nancy Drew book so I gave it a try. I’m so glad I took a chance! It was fast-paced and exciting. The 1950’s setting made the characters easier to imagine and explore. I loved the romance, drama, and intrigue. A great summer read! I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.