Cover Image: The Midnight Girls

The Midnight Girls

The description of a rivalry, winter balls, disguises, and a magical contest had me intrigued from the start. I loved the idea of this book. However, it wasn’t all that I expected it to be. Unfortunately, I found the pacing to be a bit too slow so it lost my interest at times. There was so much build up to getting to the Prince and attempting to take his life that I found myself putting this book and picking it back up several times before I really got into the story. Once I did, I enjoyed the rivalry between Zosia and Marynka, the magic, and the world the author has created. Marynka and Zosia were entertaining and my favorite parts of the book were when they were just talking to one another.
I soft DNF'd this and do plan on coming back to it since I have heard good things about it. At the time when I was reading it fantasy wasn't keeping my interest so it's not at all the books fault, just mine. For what I did read I was enjoying the characters and was excited to see how the story would all play out. The world and plot was really cool too, Ive never seen anything else like it. Thank you to Netgalley and the Publishers of course.
Um...sapphic romance? Yes Please. And thank you very much.

That's really all I NEED to say for this one...but I'll say more anyway.

The story reflects Polish culture beautifully both from what I already knew (I have polish family) and from what I've heard from others. The Fantasy elements even reflected that, which was amazing. Truly, the storytelling here was astounding and downright awesome!

I would read anything Jasinska writes. Period.
My Thoughts:

This sapphic romance book is more about passion, one-sided rivalry, jealousy, fear and competition than it is about romance, but it does have a satisfyingly non-sappy epilogue.

What makes the relationship between Marynka (Midday), Zosia (Midnight) and Beatta (Morning) interesting is that not only are they all servants of three sister Witches, but that this rivalry and attraction between Midday and Midnight has been going on long before the two girls were chosen. Their intense connection, then, is fate.

What does Marynka really want? What price is she willing to pay? What does Zosia really want? And what price is she willing to pay? Do both girls like the power that makes them into monsters? What will either of them do with their freedom? And what does Beatta want?

The book slowly reveals their individual desires and ambitions while also sending them on a thrilling chase for Prince Josefʻs heart (literally - they need his heart pulled out of his body). Can they work together or do they end up killing each other? This was a pretty wild ride: witches, monsters, magic and holy swords, oh my.

From the Publisher:
In a snow-cloaked kingdom, two wicked rivals secretly compete for the pure heart of a prince, only to discover they might be falling for each other.

Karnawał season is a time for mischief and revelry. For the next few weeks, all will be wintry balls, glittery disguises, and nightly torch-lit sleigh-parties.

Unbeknownst to the merrymakers, two uninvited girls join the fun. Zosia and Marynka are drawn to each other the moment they meet, until they discover they're rivals, who both have their sights set on the prince's heart. If one consumes a pure heart, she'll gain immeasurable power. Marynka plans to bring the prince's back to her patron in order to prove herself. While Zosia is determined to take his heart and its power for her own.

Their ambition turns into a magical contest with both girls vying to keep the prince out of the other's grasp, even as their attraction to one another grows. But their attempts on his life draws the attention of the city that would die for him, and suddenly their escalating rivalry might cost them not just their love for each other, but both their lives.

Author: Alicia Jasinka

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

Publication date: December 28, 2021
Thank you for the ARC and a chance to review this.

This book was captivating from the first chapter. The author sucks you in by following two rivals in the chase to steal a prince’s heart. The confident, quirky MC finds her inner strength while on a hunt for a heart. Truly a unique story!
DNF. I couldn’t get into this book. The set up just didn’t draw me in and I didn’t feel connected to the characters.
Wholly engrossing. I couldn't put it down and I loved both the fantasy elements as well as the characters themselves, their voices, and the discoveries they made about themselves and each other.
This is my first Alicia Jasinska book, despite me having been hyped for her debut, The Dark Tide. I was even more excited for The Midnight Girls, because it was pitched as a sapphic villain/villain ship, where the two girls are also monsters hunting a prince for his heart. What's not to love?

The Midnight Girls was such a fun book, it starts off with a brief introduction to Marynka (Midday) and Zosia (Midnight), before getting right down to business and having them unknowingly bond with one another. Marynka was so headstrong and confident in her monstrousness that it was impossible not to love her. Zosia was more cautious, but so genuine and determined that I adored her too, as well as Beata and her patience and protectiveness. Marynka and Zosia balanced each other out so well, both of them were competitive, and Zosia's more calm approach offset Marynka's chaos perfectly.

The romance and relationships between the three girls and their grandmothers were definitely at the heart of the story, at times it almost felt like the more chaotic villainous aspects were just added as an afterthought. That's not to say that they weren't villainous or action based enough, because there was quite a bit, but it felt a bit forced and messy at times in order to keep dragging the plot out. I think part of it was to make sure Marynka and Zosia's relationship had enough time to fully develop, but I still wish it had felt more solid. That being said, the relationships were all extremely well done. I loved the complexity of Marynka and her grandmother's as well as Józef and Kajetan's tumultuous love/hate relationship.

If you're looking for a sapphic or villain/villain fantasy, definitely try to pick Midnight Girls up! While the fantasy plot wasn't as strong as I expected, the relationships more than make up for it. Overall it was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to reading The Dark Tide and anything else Jasinska releases in the future.
This book caught my eye almost entirely for the cover - and this one is beautiful enough that it gets quite a few extra glances when it's on display. I just wish the book was as stunning as the cover. There is nothing truly *wrong* with this book, it just doesn't feel as strong as I would have wanted it to be. It's good, it's enjoyable, it's something I would recommend in the library.. but it's not something that blew me away and made me desperate for more, or even desperate to talk about it with others.
The Midnight Girls was so much fun. I loved the setting and the vibes that the whole book had. I'm not sure I've ever read a book that had so much Slavic fantasy and those vibes? It was so refreshing for me honestly.

Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes and this one here hits so much for me. Throughout the whole book I was just screaming about it. There was so much tension between them and a lot of Killing Eve vibes with the tension.

I really enjoyed just the utter confusion in this too. There was so much "do I want to be her, do I  love her or do I want her" through out it all. It was perfect.

This is a queer fantasy and really didn't have content warnings. This was such a light fun fantasy that was a fun read.
I loved all the representation in this book. The plot and the characters were all amazing. Also, I usually don’t read for romance but the tension was high quality. Awesome book!
DNF at ~40%

I really wanted to like this book. I have tried four time to read this book- after publication I even switched to the audiobook in a hope that I’d be able to get into it that way. Unfortunately I have never been able to get further than 40%. Maybe I should have realized this book wasn’t for me, I DNFed The Dark Tide too.

I found the character ms annoying and there was just never a moment where the plot hooked me in.
I loved the relationship between the three characters. The worldbuilding was lush and I loved the magic in this story.
This was out of comfort zone but it held my interest.  About a band of witches on their big holiday and protecting each other and keeping up the traditions and  dealing with intruders at the party.  Parts of the book were way too descriptive and other parts way to short.
3.5/5 Stars

I have a few mixed feelings about this book. I will start with the fact that I loved the fact that this was sapphic. There is always a need for representation in books. I really enjoyed the characters and some of the plot. However, I was not the biggest fan of the writing style here. There was something about it that didn't really pull me in. The same thing happened with this author's previous novel. This is absolutely a personal issue but because of this, it did hinder my enjoyment. I would definitely recommend this book to others because I could absolutely see why someone would love this book.
Wow, I really enjoyed this, as you can tell by the amount of time it took me to finish. The beginning started with a grip on my attention. I really enjoyed Marynka and Zosia’s rivalry! Early on I caught on to the possibility that these two would end up caring for each other. But I really loved how it didn’t become a love feast. It stayed as a rivalry but with the tension and fire of their growing affection. There was a part towards the end that I really really enjoyed and was fairly surprised by! I also enjoyed the play on midday and midnight and how one had the power of the light and the other of the shadows.

Józef and Kajetan left an impression! I would really love to read a story about them, leading up to the midnight girls!

All in all this was a good read!
The Midnight Girls was not at all what I expected! Two witch-apprentices compete with each other for the heart of a prince - literal heart, so their witch bosses can gain power. This fantasy was so good. The mentions of German lore and Russian Tsarina got me very interested in the plot! This is one of the fantasy books that jump straight into the story without dragging much with the world building. I liked it about this book.

Thank you Sourcebooks Fire for the arc.
Zosia and Marynka are rivals destined for friendship. Monsters who serve their “grandmothers,” witches to whom they need to prove themselves, they are tasked with collecting hearts of princes for the witches to consume. Marynka is determined to collect the heart of a just and good prince to prove herself to her grandmother. Zosia, on the otherhand, needs the heart for herself, for if she consumes enough, she can free herself from the title of midnight and the servitude to the night witch. Though neither will sacrifice their goals for the other, they form a bond that might be more than friendship, which presents them with some pretty tough decisions.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the dark elements of the book, that the girls aren’t necessarily revered and beautiful witches, but monsters who are willing to do what it takes to get what they want. Even when they find themselves growing closer, neither wants to sacrifice what’s important to them for some potential budding romance. I really liked that. They didn’t give up everything for romance, but rather, had to find how to compromise for the best possible outcome for them both. Definitely recommend.
Intriguing premise of a villain vs villain, sapphic tale of magic and mayhem. All 3 girls were sent out to retrieve the heart of a pure prince so that their masters could gain more power. But on the journey there, Midday and Midnight struck up a fast friendship. Once they realized that they were each others mortal enemies, they quit attempting to kill the prince and just fought with each other. It was a quick, entertaining read.
DNF 50%

This premise is fantastic. These characters are complicated and messy. The interpersonal interactions are fascinating. The relationship development is engaging. Yet the idea of picking this back up to finish makes me want to cry. There is a very solid chance I’ll give this another try, but for now this book is not working for me. If you love morally grey, violent sapphic witches, this book should absolutely work for you, and I’m heartbroken that it doesn’t seem to jive with me.