Cover Image: The Walnut Creek Wish

The Walnut Creek Wish

This new series is a blend of Amish and Englisch (non-Amish) characters. The Englisch characters being the main however I believe the Amish couple will be carried through the entire series.

I usually love Wanda Brunstetter's books, unfortunately this one is not a favourite. The main characters weren't particularly likable so I struggled to read through the book.

This book did have some of the author's usual charm including a few likable and interesting characters, lessons taught and learnt, location.
Wanda Brunstetter has written Amish stories for years.  The Walnut Creek Wish is another great story to add to her legacy.  Jeff and Rhonda Davis have no room in their lives for God.  Their whole outlook needs a reset.  Moving to Walnut Creek, Ohio may just be the change they need.  The chance meeting of Orley and Lois Troyer, the Amish Antique store owners, bring clarity to Jeff and Rhonda, but will it be too late?  I received a copy through Netgalley.  A review was not required.
by Wanda E. Brunstetter
Pub Date 01 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 01 Oct 2021
 Barbour Publishing, Inc.,  Barbour Fiction
 Christian  |  Romance  |  Women's Fiction

I am reviewing a copy of The Walnut Creek Wish through Barbour Publishing Inc, Barbour Fiction  and NetGalley:

In The Walnut Creek Wish an antique store becomes a place of healing for broken hearts…

Welcome to Walnut Creek Ohio, where Orley and Lois Troyer own an antique store they call Memory Keepers. Though knowledgeable in antiques and their repair, their real talent is in mentoring folks who are hurting and don’t even know it.

Jeff a restaurateur, and Rhonda, a hotel manager, who recently moved to Amish country for the slow pace, but the change of scenery puts even more stress on their already strained marriage.

Will the purchase of an antique sled be the last straw for Jeff and Rhonda or will it lead to unexpected revelations and the fulfillment of dreams?

I give The Walnut Creek Wish five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
The Walnut Creek Wish tells the story of a struggling, worldly non-Amish couple, and the Amish couple who befriends them. Jeff and Rhonda have a lovely home and many worldly possessions, but are distinctly non-religious people. However, they feel as if something is missing from their lives. When their world seems to be falling apart, and with the encouragement of family members in surprising ways, Jeff and Rhonda discover there is more to life than possessions and jobs. The story of their Amish friends Lois and Orley also provides a parallel story thread of marriage in the Amish tradition. They are eager to share their Christian faith with Jeff and Rhonda, but begin by sharing their friendship and hospitality as a Christian example.

The storyline is predictable, and the main idea of the story is the Christian message, which is overt. It was an enjoyable read, but seemed to drag at times with a lot of detail. I have read many other books by this author and found them more enjoyable than this one. Readers who seek a clean story with a clearly stated Christian message will probably enjoy this book, especially if they are already fans and followers of the author.

I received this novel from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
I really Like this author, However I was not a fan of this book at all. This book is about a married couple who is struggling in their relationship. I feel like Rhonda was very whiney and just was looking for a reason out of her relationship. Jeff was selfish and self centered and seem to really careless about his wife or her feelings. I Loved Orley and Lois they were a super sweet couple and wish that they could have had amazing things happen in there lives as well. Over all this book was a clean read but I was not a huge fan of this book.
What a fun, exciting story! I enjoyed the characters and the story line. The story flowed nicely and it had me reading until the end in a day! I highly recommend this book!

Thank you for letting me review this book
The Walnut Creek Wish is Brunstetter's latest novel. Unlike most of her past novels, this one features both an Amish couple and an English couple.

Jeff and Rhonda have been struggling with their marriage and the stress of their demanding jobs, as well as the unfulfilled dream of having a child of their own. In an effort to find a more peaceful life, they've purchased a beautiful home in quiet Amish country. Unfortunately, moving doesn't seem to have been the solution at all and is only causing more issues. To top it all off, both Jeff's dad and Rhonda's mom have recently informed their families that they've each started dating after years of singleness and neither Rhonda or Jeff know how to respond to the news. If only there was peace to be found--something like the serenity they see in their new acquaintances Lois and Orley.

Lois and Orley are an elderly couple who own an antique store in their small town. Like Jeff and Rhonda, they were also unable to have children, but their faith has helped them get through their struggles. Content to live their simple life, they spend their days between the shop, home, and with their church family. But Lois has a secret, and she doesn't know how to tell Orley--or if she should even try.

As much as I love Wanda Brunstetter's books, I really struggled with this one. I liked the idea behind the plot. especially knowing that this story wasn't just told from the Amish side. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to like the main characters, I found them immature and often petty. Yes, they had genuine realistic struggles, but much of the conflict was over things that never should have caused an issue. There was also multiple instances of body shaming that were brushed aside as merely thoughtless comments. This may not be an issue for other readers, but as someone who has struggled with body dysmorphia and eating disorders, this was a bit of a trigger for me. Finally, the dialogue between the characters was often stilted and awkward. I had a hard time believing anyone actually speaks the way they spoke throughout the book, especially in stressful situations. All in all, The Walnut Creek Wish just didn't quite live up to the standard I've learned to expect from Wanda Brunstetter.

Although this isn't one I'd read again, it definitely won't stop me from reading any of Brunstetter's future novels.

*I received a complimentary copy of The Walnut Creek Wish through the publisher and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. My positive review is not required.
Walnut Creek Wish is the first in a new series by Wanda Brunstetter. It tells the story of Rhonda and Jeff, who have been married for a long time, but have been unable to have a child. Their marriage has a lot of tension and the two seem to butt  heads a lot. In an effort to help their marriage, they buy a new house in Walnut Creek. They hope that the rural environment will give them more time to relax and spend time together. Both of them are very against any talk of God and don’t want anything to do with religion. As they work through their issues, they become friends with the Troyers. An Amish couple from their new town. With their new friends, they work their way through life and all it’s challenges, looking for hope along the way! Another good book! I always enjoy her books and know that they will bring a smile. This one had a lot of good laugh moments too. I willingly read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own. #NetGalley #all_the_pages
If you love Wanda Brunstetter's books you will love this one. The characters are endearing and shows us that the struggle they have is what some of us go through each day. A must read.
I honestly had a tough time getting into this book. It just felt like there was so much negativity and I get that it was part of the story and a way for Rhonda and Jeff to finally come around to finding the Lord. This story was a little different from what Wanda usually writes, which is more lighthearted. I'm willing to see what book two has to offer.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Barbour Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
The Walnut Creek Wish by Wanda E. Brunstetter is the first book in Creektown Discoveries series. As anything Brunstetter writes, this one was well-written with developed characters. I like the blend of English and Amish.  There is a younger couple who are childless and struggling with their jobs and the fast paced city life. Also an older Amish couple who own an antique shop in Walnut Creek. The Davis' moved to Walnut Creek and there they meet the Troyers who take an interest in the young couple and become a well of information and advice for them.  The Walnut Creek Wish is a heartwarming story of finding the important things in life are not monetary gain but happiness and enjoying one's life....
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.
Super sweet story of a young English couple and an older Amish couple. Neither have children.
Jeff, owns a restaurant and his wife, Rhonda manages a hotel. While they both love their jobs, their jobs are stressful. Jeff, found a lovely home in the country and convinced Rhonda they should put their home on the market and buy the house. This created stress as their previous home didn't sell very quickly.
Jeff loves his 'man cave' in the new house and spends a great deal of time there watching his big screen tv.
He, also, has a love for antiques, which Rhonda doesn't understand at all, and spends money they can't afford adding to his collection.
Rhonda has her own problems. She seems bitter and harsh with Jeff. She is a lot like her mother, but doesn't realize it.
They both blame God for unanswered prayers from their childhoods and want nothing to do with Him.
As only God could plan, Jeff visits an antique store owned by an Amish couple, Orley and Lois. As Jeff visits the store more and more, he becomes somewhat friends with Orley. Orley witnesses to Jeff when he can, but is brushed off.
I, especially, liked the mention of prayer throughout this story. Orley and Lois prayed for the younger couple. Jeff's dad and Rhonda's mother also prayed for them.
As always, God has ways to get our attention as He does in this story.
Such a wonderful story to read, with a most happy ending.
I was given an advanced ecopy of this by the publisher, Barbour Fiction and Netgalley. I was under no obligation to leave a positive review.
by Wanda E. Brunstetter
Pub. Date  August 1, 2021

Thanks to Barbour Fiction and NetGalley for the ARC.  This author is very popular at our library so I always enjoy an "early" read.
Book 1 in the Creektown Discoveries Series from NYT Bestselling Author Wanda E. Brunstetter

An Antique Store Becomes a Place of Healing for Broken Hearts.  I found the story very good and enjoyed this book.

4 star
Have you ever read a book that you didn’t really hate but didn’t really like? It was MEH???

I read Wanda Brunstetter for her Amish stories and The Walnut Creek Wish was more Englisch (non-Amish) than Amish-focused. The two main characters were selfish individuals who were unlikable. I groaned and Mohamed aloud about their issues than I ever have reading.

I try to write only positive reviews but it was hard to do for this book.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Barbour Publishing, Inc., through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
I always know that Wanda Brunstetter's name on a book means I will love it.  She writes great, believable stories about people and their lives.  Her books put you in the small towns, helping your friends and neighbors as you find faith in the goodness of others.  The Creektown Discoveries series features the Memory Keepers Antique Store where Orley and Lois Troyer share their life's learnings with their customers.  I loved this book and am looking forward to our next trip to Walnut Creek.
This story has been so much fun to read I hated to say goodbye to the characters. I feel like I have made new friends and hope to visit them soon. The setting is perfect and I loved being a part of the Amish community and witness their love for God, family and friends.

Rhonda and Jeff are a typical couple living in a nice condo and have high level stressful jobs. They don’t see each other much due to work and this slowly starts to put a strain on  their marriage. We discover that they have had some  roadblocks that have caused them to be bitter at God. They both want a child so bad but that has not happened yet. They have strained relationships with family members which stems from them not wanting to talk about religion. How sad that they have pushed God out of their lives. Maybe with their new home they have purchased they can spend more time together.

My favorite couple in the story is Orley and Lois.  They are funny, full of life and love each other unconditionally. The  couple owns a very interesting shop that I would love to visit. Can you imagine walking into their store and seeing memories of toys from your childhood? It’s the perfect place for Jeff to visit as he love to collect antiques. It was no accident that Jeff came to this store because Orley and Lois will be very important to this couple who has lost their way. It was encouraging to see how Orley and Lois offered friendship and spiritual guidance. Oh it may not seem like they were getting through to Jeff and Rhonda but God was working in His loving way to bring them back to Him.

Jeff and Rhonda find themselves going through one crisis after another. You can feel their hopelessness as things start to crumble around them. It is easy to become distant from your spouse when you see them as the enemy. What a mess their lives were becoming yet God was still there watching over them. The last part of the story is where I cried as I wanted Jeff and Rhonda to rekindle their marriage and bring God back into their marriage. The author does an amazing job of using scriptures to show that God never leaves us or forsakes us.

I hope you get your tissues out as you follow  Jeff and Rhonda on their journey through loss, anger,  forgiveness, learning to fight for their marriage and finding peace within themselves. I loved the lessons the author gives readers about finding joy again and knowing that God has a plan for each of us. He puts people in our pathway for a reason. Orley and Lois were there to encourage and speak God’s Word into their lives. Their gentle spirit helped Jeff and Rhonda begin to see that they needed to make changes in their lives. I’m so glad that the author wrote this story because it reminded me that there are people who care for others and that when we invite Him into our lives we are set free from the things that have caused us to become bitter. This is the best book the author has written.

I received a copy of this book from the author and Barbour Publishing .  The review is my own opinion.
A great start to a new series. Lois and Orley own an antique store in Amish country. When englishers Jeff and Rhonda move to town they are struggling with issues. A lack of faith and good advice is something they can learn. Liked this one, and rooted for the couple. Would highly recommend this book and author. Look forward to more in the series.
An Enjoyable Inviting Read with Likable Characters

The Walnut Creek Wish is the first book I’ve read by Wanda E. Brunstetter.

Jeff and Rhonda Davis have been married for nearly thirteen years.  But their marriage has been strained and they’ve grown apart.  Both are hardworking and care about one another, but disappointment over not having children has impacted their marriage.  In a last-ditch effort to try and help their marriage, against better judgment, the Davis’ decide to purchase a new home in Walnut Creek, OH.  The additional strain of financial issues, when their old house doesn’t sell, adds more pressure.  Jeff has a love for antiques and befriends an Amish couple, Orley and Lois Troyer, who own a local antique store.  A rather unconventional friendship develops between the couples.  Will their friendship and faith-filled influence be enough to help Jeff and Rhonda?

I loved this book.  I appreciated the development of the characters and they really came alive.  I liked that the author wasn’t in a hurry to rush from one action scene to the next.  Instead, the reader gets to know the characters and what made them the way they are.  It was interesting to learn why Jeff and Rhonda had rejected the Christian faith and to see God at work in their breaking down those walls.

I read a lot of books by Christian writers and publishers, and it’s a rare occurrence these days when the Gospel message is shared as part of the storyline.  That is why I loved this book.  The Troyer’s built a relationship with the Davis’, cared about them, and prayed for them.  They shared their faith and eventually shared the Gospel of Christ with Jeff and Rhonda.  I liked and cared about these characters.

Because I enjoyed the characters and the setting, I didn’t want to rush through reading this book.  This book was very enjoyable.  I appreciated that the storyline was clean, without immorality or profanity.

I highly recommend The Walnut Creek Wish by Wanda E. Brunstetter.  I love finding an author whose work is new to me, and I look forward to reading more of her work.

I would like to thank Barbour Publishing, Inc and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of The Walnut Creek Wish by Wanda E. Brunstetter.  I was under no obligation to give a favorable review.
Great new installation by Brunstetter. I like her simple yet real style--the characters like Jeff and Rhonda really feel like real people. I do appreciate getting a glimpse into the Amish lifestyle from the perspective of people who are not Amish, as a lot of her books tend to come from within the community, so this is refreshing perspective. I felt that the story was moved a lot by dialogue--as in, many times characters communicated a lot more information than they should have been in reality for the purpose of backstory, but overall it worked. I look forward to the future books in this series.
I was asked to read and review The Walnut Creek Wish by Wanda Brunstetter.  Ms. Brunstetter is a prolific writer of Amish fiction that portrays the Amish life in a very romantic way.

This novel is the story of an older Amish couple, Orley and Lois Troyer, who own an antique store.  They visit garage sales, estate sales and others to find item to sell in their shop.

Jeff and Rhonda are from the city where their respective jobs are fast-paced and leave little time for them to spend with each other.  They decide to purchase a house in Walnut Creek.  Jeff is an antique lover and has quite a collection.  Living in Walnut Creek is much slower paced for them, but the commute to their jobs is much longer.  Rhonda doesn’t see that she fits in and Jeff has made friends with Orley as their interest in antiques brings them together.

Although I like the story line, I find novels that are mostly dialogue very boring.  I enjoy narrative much more.  I am finding that the latest novels by Ms. Brunstetter are mostly dialogue and I do not care for them as much as I used to.  However, the story lines are interesting and I keep reading to find out what happens.
I received a free print copy of this book from Barbour Publishers in return for my honest review.  The opinions expressed here are my own.