Cover Image: A Line to Kill

A Line to Kill

It’s been ages since I read an Anthony Horowitz book and I really enjoyed ‘A Line to Kill’ (although not as much as the wonderful Alex Rider)
Horowitz has yet again written an excellent book full of twists and turns that kept me guessing throughout. I had been anticipating the release of this book for a while and it did not disappoint. Looking forward to the next instalment in this series
Over the weekend, Anthony Horowitz appeared at the Iceland Noir book festival. I hope that he had a better time than his autobiographical character had at a fictional event. And if he didn’t, I shall be (a) surprised and (b) most put out on his behalf. That’s what A Line to Kill does to you.
Anthony Horowitz’s problem is that he’s too good at making us like Anthony Horowitz. We’re sympathetic to the author who gives us witty self-deprecation and one-liners about Dan Brown. That means that when people treat him badly in our eyes, we are likely to turn against them. And too many of the cast of A Line to Kill do that. Line is the third in Horowitz’s series in which he plays the role of detective’s side-kick to investigator Daniel Hawthorne. It’s meta than ever, because it describes the forthcoming launch of the first novel, The Word is Murder, about which more anon, and a road trip of the damned, namely E-list writers at a terrible literary festival in which our man Horowitz shares billing with a discount Derek Acorah, a plagiarist poet and a shouty stereotype chef. Maybe it comes across more grim than Horowitz intends, but I can’t help getting irritated at these idiots. Don’t they know our mate needs a bit of a break?
Thing is, it’s a bit personal. At one point Horowitz muses that he is going to run out of titles with grammatical allusions. This blog previously called for a future instalment to be called The Paragraph is Fatality and we remake the offer in the knowledge that the idea is too appalling to be taken up. More seriously, in the first chapter, Penguin Random House are sending out proof copies of Word to ‘bloggers, reviewers and key customers’ and although they are referring here to actual printed copies, and not the electronic copies available to we amateurs, I feel complicit in Big Publishing’s machine to belittle and denigrate. Mr Horowitz, should you read this, I can only apologise both for my part in your oppression and also for - for the sake of pretentious whimsy - pretending to miss the point so spectacularly.
Other thing is, Horowitz has too much experience and knowledge across the crime and mystery genre for us to think that he doesn’t know exactly what he is doing at all times. I’m assuming that the knowing asides and also the tension with Hawthorne are meant to contrast with Conan Doyle (with whose works I’m not really familiar). At one point Horowitz writes,
Knife wounds are particularly disgusting. And I write about these things for entertainment!
Later, though, he tells us the story of Derek Abbott, a truly disgusting man. I don’t want to know about Derek Abbott in as much detail as we get and I’m not sure he has to have done these specific things for the narrative to come together and for the purposes of what is our entertainment. The case of Abbott does allow Horowitz to provide depth to the question of privately-dispensed justice. Perhaps I was too appalled by Abbott such that the nuance passed me by. (And we know that Abbott’s crimes will feature in another book about Hawthorne as we explore his early life. I am not sure that I am looking forward to that.)
But if the nuance has gone over my head, such is the life of the sidekick, and Horowitz plays that role to perfection. The cleverness of the plot is revealed at the end and, having made it my business to systematically suspect everyone in turn, I still managed to be every bit as wrong as the useless local plod.
If this series does consider the backstory of its star, troubled detective, it won’t be the first to do so. But Horowitz has shown enough originality in this series so far for us to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Hawthorne saga continues to delight, when it doesn’t make us fret for its narrator.
A new Tony and Hawthorne is always a delight. In the third book the pair go to a literary festival and murder is on the agenda. The story is entertaining and solid and it's lovely that more and more of Hawthorne's past is being revealed. Can't wait for the next one.
i like the querulous narrator - who is Horowitz (purportedly) himself - talking about his fictional other-half as they attend a writing festival to discuss Hawthorne's cases  - i've read earlier books in this group (not necessary to the story however) and they are equally intriguing - and the extra meta-fiction element is good fun - the assemblage of characters from a rich eccentric local grandee to a foodie and booksellers and writers , the clues Horowitz picks up toward the resolution eventually of the murder - for that's what happens - is convenient to the detectuve ... really enjoyable and the resolution is a surprise .. a bit slow in the unwinding but all the better and richer for it ..
Another lovely read from this author.

Anthony Horowitz’s books stand out to me because there’s always murder but they’re still somehow comforting.

The perspective of this book was odd to start with but I quickly got in to it and really enjoyed it.

Agatha Christie vibes-loved it.
The weakest in the series so far for me. Took ages to get going and then seemed to wrap up far too quickly. Left a little cliff hanger for the next book but I'm in two minds whether to bother.
This is the third in a series featuring Hawthorne but the story itself would make sense to readers that have not read the previous books.

The murder is on an island where Horowitz is a speaker and includes a character from Hawthorne's past. A good mystery with plenty of characters and plot lines.

I have read one of the previous books in the series and this one did not grip me as much as the previous one. There is however promise of more in the future as Horowitz begins to find out more of Hawthorne's secrets.
The third in the series and is a classic who done it
This book goes back to the golden age of murder mystery books and gives too many to mention clues to throw you off solving the crime
The pace kept me interested throughout
Thank you netgalley for a  pre publication copy for review
A Line To Kill is another brilliant addition to the series featuring Hawthorne, in which Horowitz himself recounts his (fictional) experiences writing about the Detective's cases. This book sets place largely on the Channel island of Alderney, where Horowitz and Hawthorne are visiting for a literary festival to promote their upcoming series.

Whilst both are on the island, along with various other authors visiting for the new literary festival, a wealthy resident is murdered after a party at his mansion.  As always, I was easily drawn into this fun 'whodunnit' mystery and the characters are as brilliant and engaging as always. I enjoyed finding out more about them. Hawthorne is as mysterious and infuriating to Horowitz as ever, with lots of comical interactions between them which I always enjoy. Their relationship is hard to sum up. It's certainly not friendship, but Horowitz has a grudging respect for Hawthorne, and Hawthorne... well, who knows what he thinks about Horowitz. Hawthorne plays his cards very close to his chest!

With some surprises and red herrings along the way, A Line To Kill is a great read - perfect for curling up with inside on a cold evening! I always look forward to new releases in this series and this one certainly did not disappoint!
Another great book in this series and perhaps, as hinted at the end, we will find out more about the mysterious Hawthorne in the next book. Having read this, I now want to visit Alderney.
I had to read the opening chapters a few times to understand how Horowitz had woven himself into one of his characters in this novel - I'm still not convinced I enjoyed this or indeed either of the characters.
I was interested with the location being in Alderney which gave a suitable setting being a small island, but was also coincidentally full of eccentric and mysterious characters.
With the narrative often referring to the writing of Horowitz's book about his fictional character, and the idea of real life stories being woven into the murder mystery, I just found this book annoyingly confusing taking away any possible intrigue .
A third outing for detective Hawthorne and a fictionalized version of the author Anthony Horowitz. This time they are attending.a literary festival on the bleak channel island of Alderney when a murder occurs. An easy read.
There is always a lot to enjoy in a Horowitz story and this one was no different.  There are the usual whodunnit red herrings, surprises and discoveries, along with the tension between the fictional Horowitz and  'sidekick' Hawthorne.  Their relationship develops a little more with each story, of which this is the third. Another good plot to keep the reader guessing to the end.
This is the third in the really quite meta Hawthorn series and sees the fictional version of Antony Horowitz on the island of Alderney for a literary festival with Nathanial Hawthorn, the detective he’s writing a series of books about. While they’re there a murder takes place and they find themselves involved in the investigation. The island setting means it has a clear set of suspects and on top of that, there are plenty of them because the victim is not a particularly likeable character. The solution is quite satisfying and I continue to enjoy the weirdness of the conceit of this series. Horowitz has two meta series on the go at the moment – and I don’t think I like them as much as I like the book-within-a-book Atticus Pünd series, this is still a really readable murder mystery with a strong sense of place
This is the first book in the Hawthorne/Horowitz series - however you can just dive right in and don't need to read the first two but can get straight into this.
There can be a comparison to Holmes/Watson - but this was not as sharp and more along a cozy mystery line.
Having said that, it was enjoyable, particularly Horowitz's self deprecating asides.
The plot had several twists and turns and although I got a feeling as to who the killer was, I couldn't quite work out a motive.
I will certainly give the other books in this series a read.

I am extremely grateful to have received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley. I  am leaving this review voluntarily.
A Line to Kill
Four stars
This is the third whodunnit in the entertaining Hawthorne & Horowitz series. This time the capable but arrogant former detective and his woefully unappreciated sidekick author travel to a literary festival on the island of Alderney off the coast of Britain.
It’s the perfect setting for murder, with a ragtag assortment of characters.
Festival guests include a children’s author, a celebrity chef a French poet, a historian and a blind psychic. Meanwhile island residents are at each other’s throats over a proposed infrastructure project that is tearing the community apart.
When a prominent local is found dead after a swanky party, Hawthorne and  Horowitz find themselves at the helm of a murder investigation as they wait for reinforcements from the mainland.
With no one allowed on or off the island this becomes a giant locked-room mystery and the author has great fun sending you on wild goose chases as you try to work out the identity of the dastardly killer.
It’s fair to say that it’s hard to put down an Anthony Horowitz novel – whether you’re a teen fan of his Alex Rider series or an adult relishing his crime capers – and this novel is no exception. A fun and satisfying read.
Thanks to NetGalley and Random House publishing for providing me with a copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

This is the third book in the Hawthorne/Horowitz series - however you don't need to read the first two before reading this one. You can read this as a stand alone book.
Clearly meant to be a Holmes/Watson vibe but hard to reach that great high.
Fairly enjoyable read and amusing to read Horowitz write about this fictional version of himself.
3.5 ⭐️
Anthony Horowitz is clearly a huge Conan Doyle fan, which is presumably the reason he was chosen to create new Sherlock Holmes stories, eg House of Silk & Moriarty.

This debt can be seen at work again in his Horowitz and Hawthorne stories in which, in a terribly postmodern twist, the character of author, Anthony Horowitz, is persuaded to write up true case files of (fictional) detective, Hawthorne.  The fictional version of Horowitz is very much a Watson figure but more the bumbling but affable Nigel Bruce version of the old black and white films than the Dr John Watson of the books.

It’s a clever idea and the real Anthony Horowitz is a thoroughly likeable writer.  Unfortunately, as the series is progressing (this is the 3rd instalment) I’m really starting to miss the Holmes/Hawthorne counterbalance.  I really feel that it needs that sharpness of tone to offset the cosiness and keep the reader on the trail.  As it is currently, although it’s an enjoyable cosy crime novel, you know that the Horowitz character is always going to be wrong at every turn but we aren’t given quite enough to work out what Hawthorne knows.  Or it could be that I’m just a bit slow 🤣🤔🤦🏻‍♀️

Definitely enjoyable, I just preferred the first 2. Please keep them coming!

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Random House, UK, Cornerstone for an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
I am a huge fan of Anthony Horowitz, and have been for a very long time. I’ve read most of his work, but always shied away from this series, because I wasn’t sure about him inserting himself into the books as a character. I felt that it would be a really difficult thing to pull off, and I was definitely hesitant and unsure when I picked up the third book in the series. However, it really works. Horowitz injects enough of himself into his character without coming across as somewhat narcissistic, which I love. I actually loved reading his inner monologues and watching his relationship develop with Hawthorne. I also thought the story was brilliant. I was so sure that I knew who had committed the murder, and then it was revealed to me and I was genuinely surprised. I really loved this book, and I will definitely be going back to read the other two. There was a lovely Midsomar Murders feel to it too, which I will never grow bored of. Overall, another smashing book by the master of classic crime fiction.