Cover Image: No Hiding in Boise

No Hiding in Boise

Excellent! Five stars! I listened to No Hiding in Boise as an audiobook and it was wonderful. Each character had a different narrator which really made me feel immersed in the story. I loved hearing the different experiences of each character, all tied together by a horrific event. Highly recommend this one!
One of my favorite audios of the year!🤩

A mass shooting at a popular, local bar in Boise. That’s right, Idaho! Where violent crime isn’t supposed to be, and has never been, front and center. No sir. Not in my neighborhood! And without warning, there it was.

Cleverly told from multiple perspectives. Giving you a front-row seat, experiencing the impact of the event from all sides. The shooter, the victims and the devastated families left behind on both sides.

Can I just say it, WOW? Let me repeat…“WOW”!

The audio version was positively captivating. With separate narrators for every character. Each voice equally spectacular! (A rare treat.)

I absolutely devoured this audio in two sittings. So caught up in the storyline in fact, that the world went around me without notice for a total of 9 hours and 38 minutes. I think we can all agree that’s a good thing!

If you enjoy audio books with multiple narrators, then this is a must 🎧 for you.

A buddy read with Susanne.

Posted to: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media LLC.
Wow! What a terrific surprise this book was! An in-depth character study of the aftermath of a mass shooting in Boise, Idaho. I’m not usually one for character driven plots but the writing was spectacular and the plot execution was superb. This book focuses on how several lives were impacted by a shooter who enters a bar and kills several people. The shooter’s mother, a young bartender working at the bar that night and the wife of one of the surviving victims who is in a coma. The book alternates between these three perspectives to paint a vivid and tragic picture of what really happened that fateful night. A little bit mystery and a lot of literary fiction.

The audio performance was fantastic with different narrators representing the various characters. A well acted and vibrant performance.

A gracious thank you to Netgalley and Dreamscape Media for an advanced audio copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book explores the aftermath of a senseless shooting by one of the “aggrieved men with guns” who seem to infest America. The shooting took place in a bar and left 2 people injured and 6 people dead, including the shooter Jed who committed suicide. The main characters are Jed’s mother Joyce, Tessa, one of the bartenders, and Angie, the wife of Cale who was seriously wounded. Each of the other victims is also introduced, but the treatment of them is so perfunctory that it would have been better to omit them entirely.

The subject was interesting and I thought that the grief, confusion, fear, anger and survivors’ guilt experienced by the characters felt realistic. Angie was kind of whiny and annoying, even before the shooting she was full of complaints, but she wasn’t completely unbearable. Although the only puzzles in the book were mild ones - what was Cale doing in the bar in the middle of the night and why did the shooter shoot - the book never bored me and I would read more by this author. The principal narrators of the audiobook did a fine job.

I received a free copy of this audiobook from the publisher.
I first fell in love with Kim Hooper’s first book. I randomly grabbed it at the library one day and devoured it in one sitting. While I enjoyed the premise book of this book and liked the different point of views, I found parts of it to be quite redundant. I thought it was interesting how all of it came together, but at times felt like she kept repeating herself just to fill the space. Overall, it was a good listen! Thank you!
A good novel about a mass shooting that doesn’t focus on gun rights or mental health but on the victims and shooter.  It shows each of their lives and what brings them to the moment of the shooting.  It explores where they are in their life and where those that survive end up.  It is not melodramatic but realistic and concise.  It makes you reflect on the good and bad of their situations and how each choice brings them to the bar at the precise time of the shooting.  This includes the shooter and what brings him to be there with a gun and precisely shooting each of the victims.

This is an excellent novel.  It is not designed to change your mind about gun rights, one way or the other.  Instead, it makes you think about each person in the story and the randomness of events.  The writing is excellent.  The narrators work well together and are good individually.

This book is highly recommended.

I received an ARC from Dreamscape Media through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
It could happen anywhere.

It happened here in Cincinnati in 2017, at a nightclub known for their security with officers posted at the door. It has happened before then and since all over the country, at schools, in neighborhoods, banks, churches.

It happened at Sandy Hook in 2012. My students asked to help so we wrote letters to the grieving families.

In 2015 I sat with a different group of kids as President Obama announced his executive actions to reduce gun violence. They all wrote essays - beautifully honest and heartbreaking - about what that meant to them.

If this is a topic important to you, as it should be to all of us, I’d highly recommend No Hiding in Boise. This is a hard topic to talk about but in talking, we learn. (I hope.)

This book is very well done - honest yet not overly graphic. It is a heartbreaking look at gun violence; it also is a study of humanity, how we are all connected, and how life is rarely so simple.

I’ll definitely be reading more from this author!
Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for the early listen. Loved the format of this story the multiple point of views. The narrators did a good job. Love when there are multiple narrators. Makes it easier to follow each character.
This book may not be the easiest for you to get through, especially if you have experienced trauma. It is a great story though and talks about an important and dangerous situation.
I was initially drawn in by the cover of No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper. Then, when I saw that the content was focusing on a mass shooting, I took a pause. It’s what we see all too often on the news and in our local media here in the US. Having listened to this book, which added to the experience with the three POVs coming through distinctly, I now want all my friends to read it. It’s a story about the individual and community costs of tragedy…about the wreckage and the healing.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for sharing this book with me. All thoughts are my own.
Book Review: No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper

No Hiding in Boise is a literary fiction novel about a small group of people thrown together in the aftermath of a mass shooting at a Boise, Idaho bar.
This book is told in alternating POVs between the victims, Joyce Catcher (the gunman’s mother) and Angie (the wife of a survivor). Joyce is the shooter’s mother who had no idea of the dark path her son was on and is forced to mourn and bury him in the public eye. Angie is an advertising executive and mother of a toddler who is struggling with connecting to her husband Kale. She is woken by police who inform her that her husband is not safe in bed beside her but instead one of the surviving shooting victims at a bar and in a coma. And Tessa is a young bartender who survives only because Kale yells at her to hide when he sees the events unfold. All of these characters will converge over over the coming months in different ways to find answers, bond and heal.
This book explores common issues an audience can relate to beyond just the tragedy of a mass shooting. There are relationship struggles, family secrets and mental health problems. The audio book has multiple narrators which bring the different POVs to life.  I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy literary fiction about families and what it must be like to be associated with a public tragedy.
4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This story of a shooting in a small bar, in a relatively small town,  killing five and injuring two, far exceeded my expectations.  Told primarily in the voice of three women who are connected - a surviving bartender, wife of a man who is shot and in a coma, and the mother of the shooter - is an approach that gives you access to their innermost thoughts, which gave a more realistic feeling approach to the story.

I am especially grateful to have received the audio version., making it so much easier to keep track of the narrative.  My reading style tends to skim over chapter headings, so getting a voice change was I essential.  It didn’t hurt that one of my favorite narrators, Hillary Huber, was one of the readers. Each reader gave an excellent interpretation of her character.

Timely, well-written, fast moving - an excellent read all around.
No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper follows Angie, Tessa, and Joyce, three women who are all entwined and affected in different ways by a deadly bar shooting. Angie is dealing with her husband being left comatose after the fetal shooting. Tessa is a  twenty-three-year-old bartender who escapes to a backroom storage closet during the shooting. When it comes to light that five people were killed, she is burdened with the question of why she survived. Finally, Joyce is reeling by the horrible discovery that she is the mother of the shooter.

I really enjoyed this under the radar book. I liked reading from each of the character's perspectives including the victims of the shooting. I liked how this book focuses on the aftermath of the shooting instead of the shooter. While the mother of the shooter coming to terms with understanding how her son could do something so egregious, the book doesn't try to excuse any of the shooter's actions instead focusing on the victims.

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Told from the perspective of three women, this riveting story tells the aftermath of a bar shooting in Boise, Idaho. The shooter's mother, a bartender who survived, and the wife of a shooting victim who's husband is in a coma all wonder- what really happened? This book explores shock and grief and faith in others and interweaves these women's stories so well. I listened to this on audio and I'm glad I did- it really helped keep the voices of these women separate in my mind. This made me really think about the loved ones of not just victims but also perpetrators. This is not a particularly easy book, but it is really well done and very good. Five stars for a good drama!
The audio version was great and really kept me going. The narrators were so sharp and full of empathy and emotion without straying into cheesy territory.
Thank you to Netgalley for the advance audio copy for review.
I enjoyed the storyline of this book, quite a bit. I have a morbid fascination with mass shootings, and this book was really good! I listened to it on audiobook, however, and did not like the narration AT ALL. I found that the different voices for the different characters took away from my enjoyment of the story.
Violence can happen anywhere, and this book about a relatively small "mass" shooting in a neighborhood bar in a small city manages to address the repercussions of sudden and unexpected tragedies. The multicast audio performance spends small bits of time with a number of the people involved: the mother of the shooter, the wife of a desperately injured man--a widow who isn't a widow, but still bereft--the bartender who escapes injury because a customer who warns her to hide, the victims, and the friends and family members of the victims. It's an exploration of grief, of coping, of the guilt of survivors. This is definitely one of the best books of the year.
Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for the review copy.

I actually listened to this one on audio and really enjoyed the narration. The story follows three different women who are connected through a shooting at a local bar. Tessa is a bartender who escapes to the back room during the shooting, Angie wakes up in the morning to hear that her husband was shot, and Joyce discovers her son was the shooter. The book explores the aftermath of the shooting and the relationships between the people involved. Why was Angie's husband at the bar? What led to the tragic shooting?

I enjoyed listening to this book and the mysteries tying each character together were intriguing. Definitely worth a read/listen!
What you can read about in newspapers (almost) every day, is that there was a shooting somewhere, leaving people dead and injured. What you do not get to read about, is what happens to those families afterwards. In #nohidinginboise, @kimhooperwrites follows the victims of a shooting at Ray’s Bar in Boise, Idaho. There’s Joyce, the shooter’s mom, and Tessa, a young bartender, and Angie, whose husband is seriously injured.

The story and the characters and everything about this book is fantastic. I listened to the #audiobook which was ALSO fantastic, and included a huge cast: @devonsorvaribrand @stephanie_willing_says @hillaryoutloud @steph_einstein @madeleinemaby @machinegundelli @brusaquatch @yesthatadambarr #petecross #nellhellegers #patricklawlor
#5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you #netgalley and  @dreamscape_media for the #audiobook in return for my honest review. I could NOT put this book down. #boise #idaho #kimhooper
Emotional, heartfelt, full of sorrow, dread, and yet hope.
No Hiding In Boise by Kim Hooper
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Layers upon layers of emotions swept this storyline as it is told from each character’s perspective.
This is one of those books that you read and as you turn the last page you can’t help and smile because you truly enjoyed the story. But as the hours and days go by after you’ve finished, you sit and ponder the depth and complexity of the emotions as it’s all too real and raw.
Kim Hooper outdid herself as she addressed mass murder shootings that we as a society get enraged over, but do not do enough to truly stop the cycle whether fueled by hate, depression, or caused by the complexity of mental health.
This is a read we can all relate to in someway or another, I cannot help but be left with such a peace with the ending, in the way Kim Cooper wrote the how grace in the relationship between Tessa and Joyce. That among tragedy,  there can be such beauty. Makes me wonder if at the heart of it all, forgiveness and relationships are more important than anything else.
A shooter walks into a bar in Boise, kills five people, injures another two, and then turns the gun on himself.  Why it happened is what everyone is trying to figure out, but it’s the stories of three women connected to the shooting that makes this such an incredible book.
This expertly crafted story was raw and heart wrenching.  It’s no secret that I love family drama and books featuring strong women, and this absolutely delivered on all fronts.  The writing felt so genuine and empathic towards all of the characters.  It’s so much more powerful than one would assume from the synopsis, it’s tragic and healing, and I can’t recommend this book enough.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫
Thanks to @dreamscape_media and @netgalley I listened to this, and will a full cast of narrators, it was incredible.