Cover Image: Effacement

Effacement

It took me a little while to get into this book. At first it seems pretty abstract and unclear where the authors are headed with the story. Part of this may be my limited experience with futuristic science fiction books.

After the introduction, the action does take off and the futuristic world is credible. I did enjoy this read. I felt the end was a bit anti-climactic and ended quicker than I expected, especially after all the build up.

Give it shot. I look forward to more reads from this author.

Thank you NetGalley for my free copy. The comments above are my own without influence.
Only a couple of weeks ago Goodreads blacked out for me, and I realised I had my whole to-read-list on here, and nowhere else. Panic struck a little. Obviously that was nothing compared to what Cole, the main character of 'Effacement', went through - but for me it was something that brought the setting of this book a bit closer to reality. Already we are practically nothing without our phones. When I go to the gym, I need a chip to log in and use everything, and my fitbit helps tracking my pulse. We usually pay everything digitally. What if everything was combined in one chip, and one day you wake up with that chip removed? What if that chip is used to kill people?

The setting being so close makes this book very interesting. I had a great time reading it, but also that nagging feeling that comes with great plot lines like the one of 'Effacement'. The only thing that made it a bit slow for me sometimes, especially at the start, is that there were too descriptive parts about how the chips and the interface worked. Especially since we all have experience, not with chips, but with smartphones and such, I think it would have been better to let us as a reader fill in these parts ourselves.
I like the pacing of the story and the dystopian elements, but sometimes the character and B story development fell a bit flat. If this is book 1 in a series, then those issues can be resolved down the road.
Received as a review copy from NetGalley, this is an honest review. Step into a futuristic reality that's bone-chilling with every part of a person's life bound by neuro-chip but also there are no secrets by the wide net of surveillance. The harrowing journey that Dr. Cole Westbay has to undertake clear his company that being accused behind several mysterious death; only earns Cole getting assaulted that leaves him not only a shell of what he was known for but deeply affects the lives' of those he cares about most. With its immersive narrative you feel as if you're a part the brilliant painted world that author has worked hard to capture. An extremely unforgettable read. Highly recommended.
This is very good, and since there are so many helpful reviews already out there, I'll just recommend it to thriller and sci-fi fans.

Thanks very much for the free review copy!!
Hawkes has written a book that could easily happen in our future.   I thought the moral implications between the haves and have nots was well done.  I enjoyed the book and Hawkes writing.
Effacement focuses on a topic that is often at the top of discussions on privacy and internet security. What happens when we become so obsessed with technology that we can no longer be separated from it? Effacement places the protagonist named Cole right in the middle of a technological nightmare and sends him on a thrilling race against time to survive.

It’s interesting to read a book written about technology that isn’t written by a professional in the field. This could have been one of the book’s biggest flaws but instead is one of the better aspects of this book. The author Hieronymus Hawkes doesn’t skip a beat in that regard.

If you’re not a “techie” type, not to worry! The author makes an effort to explain almost everything that’s happening in detail on a technological level. Some of it may seem a little difficult to read. But it shouldn’t put you off this book as the author does take the time to explain things in language that will make sense to everyone.

The pacing is wonderfully written into each chapter which ebbs and flows faster in some and slightly slower in the chapters focusing on Cole’s relationships. It’s enough to keep those that love the “white-knuckling” thriller on edge enough to enjoy the book. And it caters to those of us that prefer a slower pace for the more intimate scenes between characters.

The future in Effacement looks grim as Cole discovers some bad “code” that is slowly killing anyone with a “Vitasync” neurochip implanted into their brains. The problem is this is practically everyone on the planet. So Cole collects a few friends along the way as he pushes onward to solve what is causing the neurochip to malfunction.

The other characters that Cole interacts with are all well-fleshed out and just as smart as our protagonist. Cole’s other half, named Tesla, also works at the same company as Cole and is equally focused and driven. This creates a much more believable story.

Hawkes also shines a light on the possibility of everyone being connected to the internet – whether they opt to or not. While the character Cole is every bit the technological vanguard, he also discovers a way out from under the technology that is now turning on everyone. Society has become interconnected with everything; nothing is private anymore. Is this the type of world we will eventually be a part of?

Effacement has thrills where it needs to while at the same time, offers an interesting take on one possibility of the future. People still question the morals behind technology controlling everything we do. Perhaps this is something we shouldn’t be taking for granted. The real world is relying more and more upon technology to function and live convenient lives. Hawke’s book presents a focal point of discussion with a serious undertone that questions the future we are building for ourselves and generations to come.