Cover Image: The Fields

The Fields

I’m sorry but this story was a bit much for me. I love thrillers. I love horror. I wasn’t expecting the gory grimy parts in this one though.
I have to mark it as a DNF.

I’m so sorry.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC. It just was not for me.
If you like grit and gore then this is the book for you. I read parts of this book holding my breath, it was that intense. Criminal Minds fans will love this.
Gritty crime thriller with ag politics tossed in? Why not. If you can keep focus through the first half, the last 25% makes up for it. While I probably won't read any follow ups to this, it definitely has its audience for those who typically enjoy crime fiction.
The Fields, while it is a unique concept for a thriller, really just fell flat for me. I was initially really drawn in by the odd centering of farm fields in the story but quickly lost interest. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review
The Fields is a phenomenal thriller from start to finish. Filled to the brim with twists and a captivating plot, this one is sure to keep readers hooked. The characters are well-developed. The story is incredibly fast-paced. This is one not to be missed! Highly recommended! Be sure to check out The Fields today.
The Fields is the first book featuring Sergeant Riley Fisher and I hope not the last. This is a very dark and grisly police procedural and I couldn't get enough of it. I will say that it won't be be for those readers with a weak stomach. There are some quite graphic descriptions of the bodies and crime scenes. If you can handle your murder mysteries dark then this is the book for you.

Riley Fisher is the new head of department in Black Hawk County in Iowa. Not everybody is happy about this and can't wait to see her fail. Her first case is tough, and becomes a political minefield. But Riley is determined to find the killer, no matter the cost. When she arrives to the local family farm, she discovers that she recognises the body. An old childhood friend, from a past that she has tried really hard to put behind her. And then another body is found - is there a serial killer on the loose?

The Fields is so well written, so descriptive. It is a slow burn but it is definately a page turner.
The Fields is Erin Young's debut and I was immediately hooked for a few reasons - 1. Crime Fiction, yes please. 2. It's based in Iowa. I live in Iowa. Nothing is ever based in Iowa. 3. I judge books by their covers. Sue me.

The Fields was a procedural that took a look into not only murders, but also the twisted, at times crooked, relationships between small businesses and huge corporations, the delicate balance of being a cop versus a civilian, and much more. Each of these interested me, which was a bit surprising because I'm not normally interested in business-type things.

One thing to be aware of before reading is that some of the depictions of the murder crime scenes are EXTREMELY graphic. You can fully picture each detail because they are so vividly described. For many people, that may be a turn off.

I thought this was a very solid debut. It wasn't the greatest book I've ever read, but it was by far not the worst and I would definitely give Erin Young another chance to wow me.
I'm usually not big into crime fiction, and what initially drew me to this book was the cover, but this did not disappoint. I hope that this is the beginning of a sprawling series, because I'd pick up every one.
I wanted to love this, it had a great plot set-up and there were some very tense moments where I was scared for our main character Riley. Some of the descriptions are super morbid and gruesome, it's well written. However, the 2nd POV with a more political narrative was soooo boring and took me out of the book each time. I think this would have been stronger with just one perspective. I did appreciate the general themes of farming, Big Ag, rural life, etc. I think the commentary about Big Ag is pointed but also predictable. Maybe the next book will be better!
This was far too graphic and violet for me. I did a lot of skimming. I can see how others who stomach that well would enjoy this.
This one took me forever to get through but I think that’s because it’s not my favorite genre.

This book is for your lovers of Bones, Castle, and all those early 2000s cop shows. I can tell there’s going to be a lot more to Riley’s story so I’m excited to see what’s next!
I went into Erin Young's THE FIELDS thinking that it was going to be a comforting and typical police procedural thriller. Holy geez, was I wrong. Right for the most part, but that ending was way more brutal and intriguing than I was originally expecting from a debut author.

Newly appointed Police Sargent Riley Fisher lives and works in a mostly rural Iowa community where small family farms have been slowly eaten up by Big Ag corporations. From the opening pages we learn that this community is stalked by an unseen and brutal menace that all but obliterates its victims. Those faint of heart and repulsed by gory scenes should possibly skip this one. However, if you can stick out the gruesome details, you will be rewarded. Fisher's investigation begins when we realize that the first victim is one of her childhood friends - Chloe. Fisher's memories and connections to Chloe are pieced throughout the narrative of the ongoing investigation. When more female remains begin turning up on farms and in slaughterhouses, Fisher's current investigation and past begin to collide and hurtle toward a deeply fucked-up and disturbing conclusion that shines a harsh light on Big Ag.

My only complaint about this book, which is more my fault than anything, is that I struggled to keep the characters straight. The multiple POVs from beta characters and changing timelines made it difficult to separate the narrative into cohesive sections. I think the plot, which is so rich and the story so dark, that focusing on the different characters became overwhelming and didn't give the primary characters enough room to grow and develop. Hopefully Young will flesh them out further in the other books she planned for this series.

Many thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Fields is a debut crime thriller. Riley Fisher heads the investigation in the murder of one of her childhood friends.

The Fields is a dark and gritty police procedural. Riley Fisher is an intriguing character. The mystery is complex and compelling. This is the first book in a new series, and I look forward to reading more.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Although the writing was very good, this book was way too graphic for my reading tastes, I ended up not finishing it.
This is a debut novel so I can understand how the story got messy with all the different plot lines going on. They do all converge toward the end but there was more than a few things that could have been edited out to give a cleaner story. For instance, the political angle of the story could have just been hinted at through Riley and not a random person thrown into the story that didn’t do anything other than prove how shady the man running for reelection is. I also didn’t understand the whole dynamic between Riley and her fellow police officer. I understood that he treated her badly because he didn’t get the promotion but the further motivations between them were not needed. I also had an issue with the backstory between Riley, her high school friends, and her brother. I thought it made a lot of sense but I didn’t understand why Young kept it such a secret and only revealed parts of it at a time. It only further complicated an already overstuffed plot and could have been handled much better.

It might seem based on all the complaints that I didn’t love this book but there were moments that I really enjoyed. I thought Young did a really great job with the actual investigation part and the pressure being put on Riley to solve the case. I enjoyed Riley and the investigative team she put together to solve the murders. I hope in future books in this series that we get to see them work together more and Young focuses more on them and not so much on things that take away from the story.

If you love crime fiction then I still do recommend this one because I’m hoping that Young will come back with a stronger second novel in this series. All the bones of a good detective novel were present and if you can overlook all the unnecessary extras in the story, I think you will find that it is a compelling mystery.
I had no idea until now that Erin Young is actually a pseudonym for a historical fiction author, but I could definitely tell while reading The Fields that it wasn't her first rodeo. I am from Minnesota and can tell you she did a really great job of bringing Iowa to life, which is pretty impressive when you consider she lives in England. There is a procedural and political aspect to the book, but it is also pure crime fiction. Newly made Sergeant, Riley Fisher is out to prove herself, and there is much hinting done that she has a past she doesn't want anyone to know about. I really liked her as a character, and I am excited to get some more characterization in upcoming books. There is some very dark and disturbing content in this book, and I don't recommend eating while reading!

I really enjoyed the audiobook as well which is narrated by Soneela Nankani. She is actually a new-to-me narrator, but I would most definitely listen to her again. I thought she was great to voice this book and she fit Riley as a character very well. I will say that The Fields is a pretty slow roller which makes me equally happy that I decided to listen to it. As slow as it could be at times, I was still sucked into the story and Young's writing ability really shone through. I was thrown by the conclusion, and I guess while I could have potentially figured it out, I'm happy I didn't. I would say this could be compared to Karin Slaughter's writing, but with a slower pace, and I am definitely interested to see where book 2 will take us!

This was one of my most anticipated of the year and it did not disappoint. Very similar to Karin Slaughter
I had a little trouble following the multiple characters in this book, and the GMO/agriculture debate was a bit too on the nose for me. Very atmospheric, though.
This was wild. For a good portion of this book, I had no clue what was happening. Then, I was able to start piecing it together as the detective was. I felt like I needed the crime wall to make sense of it all! Very expertly written! I will say some parts dragged for me, but I definitely got sucked into the mystery!

Thank you NetGalley and FlatIron Books for this advanced copy!
A bit more grim than I anticipated but overall a good book. I think i would give this author another try in the future!