Cover Image: Dog Eat Dog

Dog Eat Dog

Dog Eat Dog by David Rosenfelt

Andy Carpenter and his wife, Laurie, enjoy walking their dogs. On one of their walks together they witness a man kicking a dog. They both start to intervene as well as another man, named Matt. Matt ends up punching the guy and both are arrested.

At the police station it’s found that Matt is wanted in Maine for murder!  He claims he doesn’t know what they are talking about!? He claims he’s innocent! He doesn’t know the people who were murdered, but he can’t explain how his DNA is at the crime scene!

Andy ends up in Maine helping to free Matt.

I really enjoyed listening to this audio book!  Good story line!  Kept me interested the entire time!  The narrator did a great job telling the story!!

Thank you David Rosenfelt, Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for the audio to listen to this book in return for my honest review!
This is a cute book and one that was great to listen to while working in the garden on some nice summer days. The story is light with no gory parts, and the plot good. The premise is a man gets into a fight with a person abusing a dog.The police come and he is detained although he didn't start the fight.  But the police find he is wanted for the murder of two people.  Andy, the hero lawyer from NJ, witnesses the fight and defends the man. He figures an innocent man would not do anything, like defend the dog, that could bring him to the attention of the police. The only problem is that his blood was left at the murder scene. There was a hint toward the beginning of the book that anyone who regularly reads mysteries would pick up on as a motive, but it was still. good to read
 to the end. There really wasn't much of a dog connection, but it was a very pleasant read.
This audiobook had me laughing out loud, all the while it kept my attention.
The story begins in New Jersey, and ends in Maine, and starts with a man horribly abusing a dog. Before Attorney Andy Carpenter and his wife a retired policewoman, Laurie, can get there to help, a kind hearted man, Matthew Jantzen, actually risks everything to save the dog.
Of course, Andy ends up trying to help Matt, and we are off on a journey that really looks impossible. Can Andy save Matt? Well, can you fight DNA?
I am now looking forward to more in this series, it was that good!
I received this audiobook through Net Galley and Macmillian Audio, and was not required to give a positive review.
I have to be honest when I saw the picture of this audiobook on Netgalley I had no idea what it was about but CUTE PUG EATING A DONUT! I knew I wanted to listen to it. And I'm so glad I did!

Andy Carpenter a New Jersey semi retired, wise cracking lawyer is walking his dog with his wife one afternoon when he sees a man kicking his dog. Before he or his wife can intervene, another man goes to stop the dog kicker and a fight ensues. The police come and arrest both men. The dog savior is later found to be wanted for double homicide in Maine. Andy feeling sorry for the penniless fellow dog lover reluctantly defends him.

I haven't laughed this hard listening to a murder mystery since never! The narrator Grover Gardner, narrates Andy with such a world weary curmudgeonly charm that you can't help but love him. Andy hates doing anything other than spending time with his family and dog and constantly complains about working and being a lawyer. Ironically however, he is a really incredible lawyer! He is funny, self depreciating and yet sharp as a knife in a way that is reminiscent of Columbo. Andy believes in his clients innocence and sets out to prove it but he encounters some dangerous thugs that don't want him on the case and will do whatever it takes to stop him...

This Andy Carpenter cozy mystery is filled with lots of quirky characters, New England charm, hilarious banter and a really smart clever plot, that had me laughing out loud, hungry for lobster rolls, and thoroughly engrossed in solving this mystery. Murder has never been so fun!

Thank you macmillan.audio and netgalley
for providing me with this alc.
I enjoy this series so much.  Andy is so snarky that I have to laugh.  Laurie is his life line.  They work well together.  Missed Phil Stanton but then again this trial is in another state.  This is easily a standalone novel. The narration was witty, sharp and fun to listen to Mr. Gardner.  He does a wonderful job!
Andy, Laurie and Marcus end up in Maine, defending another dog lover. Someone whose DNA was found at the scene of a double murder.
I found the premise intriguing.  Kudos to the author.  He keeps me entertained even though I know the stories are over the top.

I was given an audio advanced reader’s version by Netgalley.  I am not required to leave a positive review.
This was my first meeting with Andy Carpenter thanks to an advance copy of the audiobook.  Let me just say that midway through the book, I went and obtained the first books of the series to cherish afterwards.  The writing style, the wit of the author, the narrator all combined to make this one of the most enjoyable audiobooks I have listened to.  I just love the self deprecating dog loving  lawyer and his compatriots and cannot wait to start from the beginning, although this worked well as a stand-alone.  Highly recommend.
As a longtime fan of the Andy Carpenter books, I continue to be amazed at how much I enjoy them. This latest book is no exception. This story began to weave in the K-team, adding a new twist to how the mystery is solved and new dynamics to the investigation.  I love the way David Rosenfelt tells the steps Andy takes and his thought process from a law perspective, but still continues to have me laughing out loud with his sarcasm and descriptions. The narrator really added to the comedic moments, making this a great listen on audio. This book did not disappoint! 4.5 stars
In short: Matthew stops a dog being abused and severely beats his owner. Both are arrested and turns out Matthew is wanted for murder. Andy, a lawyer who witnessed everything, defends him because he’s certain someone who would stop a dog being abused could not possibly commit murder.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this book, especially on audio. This is apparently the 23rd book in a series but can easily be read as a stand alone.

What I liked:
🐾The mystery. It certainly was not a straight forward mystery. There were many layers and twists to solve.
🐾The lawyer Andy. The narration for this character enjoying his retirement was perfect.
🐾The courtroom drama, procedures and bantering between lawyers.
I quickly finished this cute and short mystery/legal novel. The characters were all so likable, from a chance meeting while standing up for dogs to the ultimate conclusion of the book. The narrator of this book was fantastic and kept my attention the whole time which is important in an audiobook narrator. I also saw when posting my review to Goodreads that this author has many more novels with the same protagonist which I will definitely put on my TBR list. Definitely recommend! Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for a copy of this audiobook for an honest review.
This is the next book in a multiple book series.  Each book could be a stand alone but much more enjoyable if you read from the beginning book. David Rosenfelt's books are always entertaining.  I have read them all. The main character Andy Carpenter is a famous Attorney.  He has inherited a fortune so he doesn’t have to work and really doesn't want to.  He prefers to spend his time at home watching baseball or spending time at a sports bar with his friends,  police detective and newspaper publisher.  Those 2 characters are interesting on their own. But in each book he somehow gets involved with some poor soul that has been arrested for murder, theft or something awful and need his help.
Andy has a wife Laurie, who has a police background, so she carries a gun and defends him most of the time.  Andy is a good attorney but a big coward.
Very clever, witty dialog.  And the mystery is always solved very smartly.  I especially enjoy the court scenes where all the facts are revealed.  And of course if you enjoy dogs you will especially like Andy's devotion to his dog Tara and dogs in general.
Very fun and clever read. I highly recommend this entire series.
Oops I almost forgot...I have selected the the audiobook.  The narrator is excellent and is the same narrator throughout the entire series. It is primarily Andy's voice.
Andy Carpenter enters a Dog Eat Dog world in 23rd book this July

Posted on June 14, 2021 by michellelovatosbookreviews, world's first book color commentator, book reviews with a twist

It was casual at first. An affair. Nothing serious. Nothing lasting. Just a fling in the night. Then, it got serious. He was a dog lover, a dog fanatic, in fact. Andy Carpenter looked like the perfect man for me. He’s smart, funny, solves murders, and fictional. Perfect.
But alas. Andy’s wife, with whom he is deeply in love, is an ex-cop; and a powerfully enforcing one to boot. That’s okay. I’ll stick with enjoying his fictional adventures from the outside. It’s safer out here anyway.
With his newest title, released July 6, 2021, Dog Eat Dog beloved author David Rosenfelt delivers another winner to his 24-book Andy Carpenter Mystery Series.
Famed and retiring defense attorney, Andy Carpenter finds himself in the midst of a Maine murder investigation after witnessing a man’s heroic efforts to save Andy’s newest doggy companion, Hunter, from an abusive previous owner.
When Andy strides across the street to break up a fistfight between the hero and abuser, he learns that the stranger’s selfless efforts to save an innocent dog will land him in jail for a lifetime.
Now Andy, the Tara Foundation, and his team of investigators must unravel the reasons why the DNA of a seemingly innocent man flooded the fingerprints of a murder victim.
Available on audiobook from MacMillian Audio, this fun Andy Carpenter story was far more enjoyable, thanks to its narrator, Grover Gardener. I couldn’t help wonder which comedic legend Gardener resembled more, Bob Hope or Jack Lemon. I felt like I was listening to a Bob Hope Road Show movie the whole time.
Regardless, Grover provided Carpenter with masterful voice inflection. Gardener provided perfect comedic timing alongside a subtle sardonic delivery for Carpenter’s understated investigative humor. Really great. A definite asset.
As an author, Rosenfelt is outstanding. He’s famous for a reason, reader; he’s an excellent comedic cozy mystery writer. His well-developed characters are loveable and a pleasure with which to spend a quiet summer afternoon.
Travel all the twists and turns of this enjoyable east coast-set Andy Carpenter story as an audiobook, CD, Kindle, or hardback book.
I can only find one problem with this title. Dog Eat Dog is the 23rd or 24 books in this series. Oh, come on!

BoutiquePublishingService@hotmail.com
BoutiqueBooks@hotmail.com
Happy are those who respect the Lord and obey him. You will enjoy what you work for, and you will be blessed with good things. Psalm 128: 1-2
Wow! 23 books in this series! This was my first, and surely won't be my last. Light mystery read. Works perfectly as a standalone. David Rosenfelt has an extremely clever and witty sense of humor that kept me chuckling out loud- and that almost never happens. Great book for purely entertainment purposes.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
What a delight to see that after 22 previous episodes, Rosenfelt still has the ability to keep attorney Andy Carpenter fresh and fun. Always a sucker for folks who love and protect dogs, Andy takes on a murder case for no reason other than Matt, the accused came to the defense of a dog being kicked. This generous impulse takes Andy and his top notch crew of investigators to Maine, land of lobster rolls. The plot moves along quickly, filled with action, humor, and terrific courtroom dominance. Grover Gardner, the long time voice of Andy, reads, and with his ability to project humor, keeps this a fast and entertaining experience. Can't wait for #24.
Narrator Grover Gardner was so easy to listen to and was great with the changes of voice for different characters .  I love this series and each new story gets better and better.  In Dog Eat Dog, the suspense is incredible, the characters believable, and the author shows his fun personality even further with a reference to himself. This is one you don’t want to miss.
a very enjoyable audio book
i love dogs so it goes without saying that i love a book that has dogs in it! And a mystery, to boot!
Great narrator - so perfect for the part.
Many, many laugh out loud moments - i was literally guffawing while i walked - people may have looked at me oddly..
definitely recommend!
My thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for allowing me to review this delightful audio.

Andy Carpenter, a lawyer, and his wife Laurie, his investigator are out walking their dog.  They witness a dog being abused across the street.  Matthew Jantzen tries to intervene and help, but winds up being arrested for a double murder.  Andy takes on the case and him and Laurie try to prove that how can a man trying to save a dog commit murder?

Enjoyable series!  This is the second book I read from this author.  Quick, easy, concise ,good narrator, and dogs!!!
I’m a bit of an impulse reader so when I was looking for a light mystery to listen to I was drawn to the cover of this book. Yes I know that it’s the 23rd book in a series but I was undaunted.

This is easily a standalone novel. The narration was witty, sharp and fun to listen to and the mystery was more complex than I at first thought.

Andy Carpenter is enjoying his retirement, although he keeps getting pulled back into cases for various reasons. Dogs seem always to somehow be involved!

On this occasion he and his wife are walking their two dogs in their New Jersey neighborhood, something they do every day. Their enjoyable walk is interrupted as they hear a dog yelping in distress. They turn to locate what is going on and see someone kicking a dog who is offering no defense. Andy runs to intervene but someone beats him to it. His name is Matt and he lands some good punches to the offending man. The police get involved and both men are arrested. Andy offers to help, because that’s what he does. After all Matt was trying to save the poor dog!!

Turns out that Matt is wanted in Maine for a double homicide which he claims he knows nothing about. He says that he is innocent, doesn’t know the people who were killed but can’t explain how his DNA is found at the scene.

Andy ends up in Maine looking for a local lawyer to represent Matt. Since Matt doesn’t really have money to pay for an attorney, Andy gets involved in his case. He also manages to eat a fair amount of lobster rolls while he is there and enjoys the local pub scene!!

What follows is a hunt for the real killer.  Andy gets a little too close to finding out what is going on and is threatened by some big very scary guys, he uses his wit to make the guys back down but knows they will be back.

At this point Andy's wife Laurie, a former police officer, gets involved as does their bodyguard and muscle man, Marcus. There are some hilarious scenes as this group, including the 3 dogs, settle into a two room motel suite.

After pulling some strings and digging into the case Andy finds that the man who was killed has connections to drug dealers and a dangerous private militia group.

There is some great courtroom drama in this book and I enjoyed the bantering between the lawyers. Andy always has an answer for EVERYTHING!!!!!

This was such an enjoyable audiobook. The narrator, Grover Gardner seems a perfect fit for this character.

I will certainly be searching out the other books in the series as I’ve read many rave reviews for all of the books!

I received an early reviewer audiobook from the publisher and MacMillan audio through NetGalley.

This novel is set to publish on July 6, 2021

Will publish to Amazon upon publication
Another great Andy Carpenter book from David Rosenfelt! This time Andy heads to Maine to defend an innocent person and solve another murder. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
“We might be defending a double murderer.”
“He saved a dog”, she says. “Isn’t that the bottom line?”
“Apparently, it is.”

And isn’t that the reason Andy always accepts a client?  This time, Andy, Laurie and Marcus end up in Maine, defending another dog lover.  Someone whose DNA was found at the scene of a double murder.
This is such a fun series and this one is a worthy addition.   I found myself chuckling on a regular basis (especially when Rosenfelt personally made an appearance).  As always, Rosenfelt managed to take the ending in a way I never saw coming.  He also managed to weave in some themes that made it feel very current in light of the ongoing political climate.
This can be read or listened to as a standalone, but why would you want to?   It’s a great series and Rosenfelt manages to keep it fresh.  The books make a welcome change from the darkness prevalent in so many mysteries. Yet, it never comes across as a “cozy” mystery.
Grover Gardner is Andy!   This is one of the best pairings of a narrator embodying a character ever.
My thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for advance copies of this book.