Cover Image: Little Souls

Little Souls

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.  The story takes place during the 1918 pandemic and it drew me in from the beginning.   The story took a turn and there were so many twists and turns that I did not see coming.   It was not what I expected at all and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  A story of family and truly dealing with past traumas.   Definitely recommend!!!
I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. If you like WWI novels you might want to check this out. Beautiful cover.
I loved the beginning of this book set on the home front during WWI. The author did a wonderful job of showing what life was like for those left behind, wondering this their loved ones would survive the war or the influenza.

Unfortunately, about half way through the book it became disappointingly predictable. I could see what was going to happen a mile away. Also, I was never emotionally invested in any of the characters. I did finish the book, but I was quite dissatisfied considering how well the book began.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Sandra Dallas is one author that I go to when I need a palate cleanse. Her novels always work the trick. The story line was easy to follow and a welcome relief from the mysteries I have been reading.

With this particular book I had to keep in mind that the background of this story was set in 1918 - a much different time than now. I find that Dallas brings a lot of relevant content to her novels, however she just seems to skim the surface and does not delve deeply into any one thing. She hit on the Spanish flu, World War I, child abuse, socioeconomic divisions and women's rights, but kept them all on a relatively superficial level concentrating more on the individual characters in the story. Which for me is okay, I usually like her characters.
Little Souls is a five star read. I was not familiar with Dallas’s writing and loved everything about it, the story’s flow, character interrelationships and real historical facts of what life was like during Spanish Flu. I look forward to reading more of her novels.
It was an interesting part of history and was good to read about it. It was a bit wordy. I like different history subjects and looked up more about this!
Very good book! It felt so real, after going through the pandemic we did! I definitely will recommend this book for any historical fiction lover!
... It means the poor, the hopeless, the common people nobody ever notices. In truth, it applies to all of us. We are all lost little souls in our own way.
—Sandra Dallas, Little Souls

Sisters Helen and Lutie move to Denver from Iowa after their parents’ deaths. Helen, a nurse, and Lutie, a carefree advertising illustrator at a fashionable women’s store, share a small home and rent out the basement apartment. But the epidemic hits hard. Schools are converted into hospitals, churches and funeral homes are closed, and horse-drawn wagons collect corpses left in the street. When their tenant dies from the flu, the sisters care for the woman’s young daughter, Dorothy. Soon after, Lutie comes home from work and discovers a dead man on their kitchen floor and Helen standing above the body, an icepick in hand. What the sisters discover is heart wrenching and disturbing on many levels. While Little Souls is peppered with tragedy, the message of hope permeates the sorrow.

First off, I adored the historical perspective Sandra Dallas provided about World War I and the Spanish Flu outbreak in Denver, details I’d not read elsewhere. In one scene, she used the term “blue devil” for those experiencing grief and/or depression. Isn’t that descriptive? The relationship between the sisters was a thing of beauty; they would have done anything for each other.

I sure wanted to like this book more. Unfortunately, I found it to be predictable and lacking in depth. I was shocked Dallas overused “that,” which is a rookie writing mistake. She’s far from a rookie: she is the New York Times best-selling author of fifteen adult novels, two young reader novels, and two non-fiction books. The writing was so saccharine I literally rolled my eyes a time or two, but the storyline itself was a winner. 3.5 stars.

Published Date: April 2022
Genre: Historical fiction
Read-alikes: As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner; The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue; The Orphan Collector by Ellen Marie Wiseman

** Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for review copies of the eBook and audiobook. The opinions expressed here are my own.
This was a beautiful story of family and making your own destiny. The backdrop of the Spanish Influenza epidemic was very interesting. This book was heartbreaking and hopeful and I really enjoyed it. I received a free copy of this book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
3.5 stars. This work of historical fiction hits home with recent pandemic. 1918 Denver was afflicted with the Spanish Flu and WWI at the same time - families were surrounded by tragedy as loved ones died in war and sickness. This novel follows Lutie and Helen, two sisters (the former an advertising girl and the latter a nurse) as they navigate "the influenza", loss of loved ones and unexpected gain of family members along the way. There is mystery, family drama and resilience all in one story and those books often fall into some of my favorites.

I liked this novel but never fell in love with it. The characters were strong and there were parts that drew me in. Being in healthcare, I love a good overview of the Spanish flu and this author definitely did her research. I just never knew what the direction the story wanted to go - would it show us coping after loss of loved ones? Would it dive into a murder and kidnapping mystery? Or would it become a love story? I think in the end the author was attempting to do all three and in the end, the different directions affected the strength of the entire plot.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martins Press for my eARC in exchange for my honest review.
3.25 stars. I love Sandra Dallas, she’s one of my favorite authors. I was so excited to get an advanced copy of Little Souls through NetGalley. But this book was not my favorite of Ms. Dallas’s. There are probably multiple reasons but the biggest is that this book is set during the Spanish flu outbreak of 1918 and what the characters, and Denver society, go through hit just a little too close too soon.

Lute and her sister, Helen, move to Denver, buy a house, and rent the basement to the Streeter family. Soon afterwards, Mr. Streeter abandons his wife and child. Maud Streeter, the mom, soon is dead from the Spanish flu and the sisters decide to adopt their daughter, Dorothy, as their own little sister. But all is not happily ever after which Lute discovers when she returns home to find Mr. Streeter dead and her sister, Helen holding the ice pick that kills him.

So begins the murder mystery part of the story. There is just so much going on here that I think I didn’t really engage with any part of it. There’s romance, there’s war, there’s flu, there’s murder, there’s sexual assault. There’s a lot!

But as usual, Ms. Dallas brings Denver to life in this book! I loved revisiting one of my favorite places.

Overall, this was an okay story, but if you need a suggestion for a better Sandra Dallas novel, let me know. There’s others that are alot better. That being said, I recently received her upcoming book set to publish in 2023 and am super excited to read it.

Thank you @netgalley and @stmartinspress for the advanced e-copy of #littlesouls .
Little Souls tells the story of two sisters, Helen and Lutie, who are living in Denver in 1918. World War I is raging abroad, while the Spanish Flu is ravaging healthy Americans at home. Helen and Lutie have a rental apartment in their basement where a family of three lives. After the father deserts the famiy and the mother dies of the Flu, Helen and Lutie begin to take care of the young girl, Dorothy. When Lutie comes home to find Dorothy’s father dead and both Helen and Dorothy standing over the body, the girls hatch a plan to disguise him as a flu victim so the police won’t have to be involved.

I promise I haven’t given too much away as the girls balance their daily lives during a pandemic, maintaining romantic relationships, raising Dorothy, and keeping a murder investigation at bay. I loved the relationship between Helen and Lutie and the way they cared for Dorothy. They also come to lean on Lutie’s fiance’s mother and the relationship Lutie shares with her was special as well. Sandra Dallas has crafted strong female characters for us to root for and created a story that although it takes place in 1918 feels a little too familiar as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic.

I felt deeply invested in knowing what would happen to all of our main characters at the end. I also enjoyed reading about a period in American history that I don’t typically frequent. I liked this book and believe that the second half definitely made up for the slow first half. I maybe was able to foresee the ending a little too well, but that shouldn’t deter anyone from picking this book up. I look forward to future historical fiction by Dallas. Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley for providing me with this ARC.
Little Souls takes place in Denver, 1918 during the Spanish Influenza.  The main characters are sisters who have purchased a home together.  They are strong females who care a lot about others which helps in different situations and times that they live in.  I have read and enjoyed many books written by Sandra Dallas, this is no exception.  I was captivated by the story and the strength of the main characters.
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this ARC which expresses my opinion.
Lutie and her sister, Helen, are in deep. They've conspired to cover up a murder. ⁠Will anyone notice if they add one more body to the pile of corpses lining the streets? The Spanish Flu Pandemic is at it's height in Denver, and people are dropping all around them. What's one more soul, especially one as tainted as this one? ⁠But when Lutie and Helen take in the corpse's orphan daughter, they take on more than they bargained for. Dangerous people mean business, as they soon learn. ⁠
⁠
⁠I sat on this review for a month, wanting to choose my words carefully. This book was not my favorite. It didn't work for me. The plot seemed forced at times, leaving me wondering what genre of book I was reading. Is it a mystery? Is it a family drama? Is it a romance book? Then, to make matters worse, it got religious. I am not religious, so when a book contains religious subtexts I usually bristle. This one was subtle at first; one of the many characters at the beginning on the book wants to be a preacher. But over time, the religious overtones grew stronger. In the end there were phrases about "God's way" and such, which is a total turn off for me. I think this book should be marketed as a Christian novel, allowing folks like me to make an informed choice.
Lutie and Maud was two sisters who was trying to live their best lives during a turbulent time. Maud is a nurse during the influenza epidemic that’s effecting so many. Lutie is trying to find happiness while her fiancé is fighting in the war. Well Maud survive the horrible sickness that she sees every day? Will Lutie’s fiancé make it home?
This story is set in Denver during the great flu epidemic of 1918..  I enjoyed the characters and the dynamics of life during that time period.  I recommend this books for readers of historical fiction.
Full disclosure: I've been a huge Sandra Dallas fan for years! Her latest novel, set during the 1918 Flu pandemic, doesn't disappoint. The story follows two sisters who take in an orphaned girl after her father is mysteriously murdered. Who had motive to murder the father? As the mystery unfolds amidst the backdrop of old-town Denver during war and pandemic, secrets about the two sisters and the little girl emerge. As always, Dallas weaves a gripping tale into period that brings you back to a time long forgotten. Another unforgettable tale from Dallas!
I loved this book!!!!!!  It was a heart wrenching war story that tears at your heart strings in the best of ways
Another great book by Sandra Dallas! Set in WWI- era Denver, this book was so timely and familiar with the parallels of the Spanish Flu to COVID-19-- the not knowing what to do, feeling of inadequacy being a caretaker, quarantine/isolation, businesses closed.
Many of the characters were so endearing (one of my favorites was the judge's wife) and faced so many challenges. I recommend this to historical fiction fans for a read that addresses heavy topics in a gentle way and has wonderfully developed characters.